Over Draft Ale | Elmar's In The Valley

3.57/5
Alströms:

Reviews by foles:
4/5  rDev 0%

I havent been fortunate enough to try too many altbiers, but I would really like to if this is anything to go by.

Lovely copper colour, with fluffy white head served in a mug (which I think is half a litre but wasn't sure as it labelled large - which I think is wrong, all beer quantities should be marked)

Sweet presence of munich malt on the palete, with little hop character - however there are hints of what appeared to be noble german hops in the nose. What struck me is the sweet, fresh malt was also present in the nose. The beer was incredibly smooth and as a result very drinkable.

What I noticed was a lack of hop bitterness to balance the malt sweetness, and a lack of crispness that should be associated with a true altbier. However this is no complaint as this beer was very very good.

Steep at $9.50 for a "large"

3.13/5  rDev 0%

A - Slightly reddish amber under a hat of soapy white head and frilly lacing.

S - Slightly fruity, stonefruit perhaps, against a mildly roasted malt backbone.

T - Noble hops, clean and pure yet very low on bitterness, some sweet malt.

M - Light clean body, moderate carbonation, dry finish.

O - Not a style you see too much of in Australia so I jumped at the chance. Without advocating too hard for this drop, I could try this one again happily.

Over Draft Ale from Elmar's In The Valley