Buckwheat Beer | Triumph Brewing Company

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by GnomeKing on 04-14-2006

Reviews by GnomeKing:
4.42/5  rDev 0%

This is a brew for multigrain lovers. If you love rye, pumpernickel, and so on, you'll like this one, even though buckwheat isn't a grain. (Read on.)

Buckwheat has a strong and distinct flavor. It's not an accent to this beer--it's front and center. The flavor reminds me some of sesame seed crackers. It's a little sharp, almost nutty. The same qualities come through strongly in the smell.

That's the best I can do. I have no other reference points to describe this beer. The best advice I have is that it will appeal to people who love the tastes of seeds and multigrain crackers and breads. More brewers should use buckwheat, otay?

Note: I added this beer to the database, so blame me if I put it in the wrong category. It's an ale, but it can't be thrown into a bucket like pale ale or something. It's a thing unto itself. Fruit/Vegetable beer? Yeah, I thought of that, but here's how Wikepedia defines buckwheat:

"...it is often counted as a cereal, though unlike most cereals the buckwheats are not true grasses. "

Triumph's description is:

"Buckwheat, strictly speaking, is not a grain; the little three-sided groats, like miniature beechnuts, are the seeds of a plant in the knotweed family. Hulled and toasted, they are familiar to us as kasha, and are used very like other true grains. More than a quarter of the grist in this beer is organic kasha, which contributes an aromatic nuttiness. "

Who to believe?

There's no category for seed beer or buckwheat beer of WTF beer, so Herb/spiced gives the best clue to this beer's flavor, because the buckwheat imparts a unique and prominent flavor that's uncommon in beer and doesn't come from traditional ingredients like barley or hops, which is just what herb/spiced beers do.

Buckwheat Beer from Triumph Brewing Company