Framboise | Triumph Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by RutgersBeerGuy on 05-30-2009

Reviews by MadCat:
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Current batch is 9.8% abv. Had as a growler from Triumph Brewing Company in Princeton, NJ filled on 6/11/11.

Appearance: An opaque grapefruit color, minimal pink head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Tart raspberries and some good funky yeast

Taste: Tart fresh raspberries and good funky yeast, with some residual sweetness, but just enough so that the tartness doesn't get overwhelming. A very good balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, crisp carbonation, and a tart finish

Overall: Excellent beer that isn't anything out of the ordinary, it is one of the things I love about Triumph, they have something to please everybody. And, for $13 a growler refill (growler prices went up since last time I was there) this is a steal. Love it!

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked up a growler from the Triumph in Princeton back in July and finally have time to review it from my notes. This was poured from a growler into a Duvel Belgian Ale Tulip glass.

Appearance: This poured a murky reddish-pink with less than a 1/4" head which quickly dissipated to a white ring only. Lacing was barely noticeable.

Smell: This one smelled great to me. I immediately picked up a sour raspberry, followed by the aroma of an unfiltered wheat beer, which matched the murky pour.

Taste: Initial sweet rasberry wheat flavor, which was followed by a moderate sourness. A very good blend of flavors. Sort of reminded me of a lambic. If you don't like the fruit flavor in your beer then this wouldn't be the style for you.

Overall: This is a slow sipper, like a fine wine. I really enjoyed the style. I brought this to a 4th of July picnic and it was an instant hit, even from the hardcore IPA drinkers. I wish I would of got a second growler, which I definitely will next year. This style should be brought back every year.

3.31/5  rDev -19.9%

Per the brewery, this is a "strong ale made in the Belgian tradition" with raspberries that's "a little bit sweet and a little bit tart." So, not a clean category for it.

Poured into a snifter from the tap.

Tiny white head that quickly dropped back to a 2mm lace. Color is good, I'll go with raspberry, opaque.

Nose: The raspberry comes through cleanly on a sniff, but, there's also a hint of vinegar behind it.

Taste: Less fruit here. Front of the tongue is just a tingle, through the middle picks up bitter, it's not until it hits the back that the sweet hits and then it's a hint and nothing more. There's a bit of raspberry here, seasoning, not ingredient. Not quite balanced... The aftertaste is fun.

Mouth: too thin for me, but, it's within the style.

Overall: I like this beer. I come to the brewery to drink it (which is not the case for much of what they do). I wish that the sour was brought a bit more under control and that there was more complexity, it's really a three-note beer. There's just something missing here that I can't articulate that I like in the lambic-eque beers, something about the balance or mouth, or ... Anyway, come drink it for $3/pint while you watch baseball. Totally worthwhile.

4.5/5  rDev +9%