Imperial Stout | Triumph Brewing Company

Added by jcurtis55 on 07-23-2011

Reviews by Druss157:
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

4.21/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this on tap at the Princeton location. It was served in a snifter, which was nice to see. The color is a completely opague black with a tan head. Lacing lasts a long time.

Hay fever had my sinuses a bit stuffed up, so I wasn't able to get as much aroma as I should but what I got was predominatly roasted malt.

Flavor was also chocolatey roasted barley. It was served a pretty cold, but even as it warmed the alcohol stayed well in the background.

All in all a very good Imperial Stout.

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked up a growler from Triumph in Princeton and couldn't wait to get home to try it, as the RIS is one of my favorite styles of beer and I was waiting patiently until it was brewed locally. This was poured from the growler into a Newcastle Brown Ale Schooner glass.

Appearance: It was a fairly dark pour with minimal light brown head and tan lacing. The lacing, for the style, was pretty good as my glass emptied. It was my understanding that this beer is much better getting it on tap at the bar instead of the growler. With that said, I tend to enjoy a slower sipping RIS in the confines of my own house so I can take the time to enjoy it.

Smell: A lot milder than I expected for a RIS. I get faint chocolate, moderate roasted malts, followed by a mild coffee aroma, finishing with an ever so slight booziness. The alcohol aroma was more prevalent as the beer warmed in the glass.

Taste: Again, milder for a RIS. I was expecting more of a warming alcohol effect, which is one of the reasons I enjoy the RIS style. I get the roasted malts immediately, followed by roasted coffee, finishing with bitter dark chocolate. I'm more impressed with the taste than I was with the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation to blend all of the flavors together. This was pretty smooth and creamy, with a ligher alcohol warmth that rolls off the tongue to remind you that you are drinking a RIS.

Overall: A very good RIS that I'm glad I didn't have to go far to get it fresh from the brewery. This is definitely lighter than the average RIS, which to me makes its more drinkable. I was actually able to enjoy two glasses in a row, which I normally don't do with a RIS due to the higher ABV. I would buy this again. If you haven't tried the Triumph in Princeton I would highly recommend it, as they offers a constant rotation of freshly brewed beer. Well done Triumph!!

3.9/5  rDev -2%