Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,210 |  Reviews: 1,915

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber last night at the end of a very long day. And what a night cap it was. The stout poured very thick with about one finger's worth of head and an aroma that was ever so soothing to my sniffer.
The chocolate flavor in this brew was excellent! I enjoyed every sip of it as the night continued to wind down.
If anyone enjoys a good smooth cigar with a great beer, Rogue's Chocolate Stout might just be the perfect pair.
I will most definitely enjoy this beer again and again.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

a - nearly black body, coffee colored head that hung around, nice lacing

s - roasted malt and chocolate dominate, bitterness evident also

t - chocolate unsuprisingly is the most dominant flavor, but coffee is there too, chocolate lends a bit of sweetness, very earthy, great lingering bitterness in the finish

m - creamy and smooth, pretty full-bodied, not much carbonation evident

d - quite drinkable as stouts go, a bomber was the perfect size for me, not sure I'd want to do much more than one though

Very enjoyable beer all around. Though I prefer the Shakepeare Stout, I'll definitely go back to the Chocolate in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

650 ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.
Sight: Black hole-like darkness. Tan head with large bubbles that made a full three inches on a calm pour. Excellent lacing that stuck and measured my progress better than I could.

Smell: Roasted malt with chocolate overtones. It wasn't just bitter chocolate, but truly sweet chocolate as well. This is the downright sweetest (in classic terms) beer I've ever smelled.

Taste: Dry at first, like a good stout, then the flavor swirls in your mouth and the chocolate comes rushing out. The flavor was sweet without going too far. The finish was bitter with coffee and traditional chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, not overly carbonated and very nice going down.

Drinkability: I drank 650 ml. and could have had more. However, such good desert beers usually follow a nice meal, and this one was no exception. But I had three glasses, so I'd rate this high as stouts go.

Overall: Very pleased with this one. As I see it, the gold standard for chocolate stouts is Young's brew. Without having a bottle of Young's Double here with me, I can't make specific comparisons, but I'd rank Rogue's concoction right up there.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales