Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,194 |  Reviews: 1,911
3.47/5  rDev -17.2%

A- Pours pretty dark brown, a bit of a light brownish head but not too much and dissipated quickly leaving just a bit of swirly light brown foam on top.

S - Smells strongly of chocolate and a hint of roastiness!

T- Something kind of overpowers the chocolate and roastiness. It was really bitter at first. It was a bit too much, more than I was expecting at least. I didn't think it went with the beer very well. Finished with nice bittersweet chocolate flavor though. I guess it got a little better over time too, but still couldn't really get past the initial bitterness that came with every sip.

M - This was good. Not overly carbonated or anything. Pretty light and smooth.

D- While it was decent overall, I probably won't be having it again.

3.24/5  rDev -22.7%

Received from tap with shallow head, super dark, not much color when held up to light either.

Smell was faint of burnt coffee and chocolate, minimal aromas leaping off pint. Even after a few swirls I felt the smell could've stood out a bit more.

Very clean, chocolate is immediate with hints of roasted coffee. The bitterness reminded me of unsweetened bakers chocolate rather than any hops. Bitterness was medium on the finish but left a chocolate-coffee aftertaste.

Medium/Heavy body with a typical stout palate coating to the tongue. The creaminess was nice and went down pretty easily.

It paired well with dessert but wouldn't consider as a session beer or anything outside of a dinner/dessert beer.

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours dark; like a liquid dark chocolate bar (pretty opaque in nature in which you're unable to see light penetrate through)-- the head is a creamy tan color with good retention

S: Earthy oats with chocolate undertones

T/M: Tastes like it smells; bitter chocolate with a smooth mouth feel-- molasses-like even. Covered my palate really well.

O: Paired extremely well with some dark chocolate almonds I was eating with; great dessert drink that's for sure. My uncle asked me whose drink *this* was; I offered a taste; he said it was good; I offered the rest to him and he took me up on my offer. Good stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Ran into this at my local beer importers and like an excited child on Christmas day snapped up 6 bottles and ran home giggling.

Ive heard and read so much about this stout so when i saw it my heart stopped and i had to take it in for a second.

Upon opening my slightly chilled first bottle i was hit with an incredibly potent aroma of chocolate.

I poured slowly into a bowl stout glass and was greeted with a beautifully dark, thick and almost oil like liquid that filled my nasal cavities with chocolate, coffee, cream, nutmeg and even hints of scotch whiskey.

Taste was incredible. Beautiful hit of cocoa which burst off in tangents to give way for coffee, nutmeg and even syrup.

Coated my palatte with a lovely film of alcoholic flavour which stayed long after the first sip. As i moved on down the glass the taste didnt diminish nor become too intense.

I am very impressed with this and whenever i see it you can be sure ill be stocking up. I have saved 4 bottles of the six that i brought and am literally fighting myself to not open them.

My hat is off to Rogue....

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Body is totally black! Head is a tan/mocha color - 2 fingers thick.
*Pours very dark black, no light makes it though. The head tan/mocha color. With a heavy pour 2+ inch head. Leave a nice lacing as it settles.

S- Lots of chocolate
*Chocolate with a bit of coffee and malts.

T- Mocha and creamy chocolate. Like eating a chocolate bar.
*Smooth, chocolate and hint a vanilla.

M- lots of carbonation. Light, smooth and a little chewy.
*Smooth and a bit dry finish, nice carbonation

D- Very drinkable
*Very drinkable, I wish I has a second one. Not very alcoholic.

Great beer. Enjoy it as a tasty dessert.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a black. I could see no penetrating light making its way through the bottle. A very dark head. A milk chocolate colored head. Smells of roasted malts, some bitter chocolate, honey even. Taste is a understated roasted malt combined with some charred notes. Has some carbonation which takes a little away for me. This is a very solid stout, but not my favorite.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours an opaque black color. There is a great, one finger, mocha colored head that has great retention. I was a little surprised it didn't leave as much lacing, but overall a great looking brew.

S - Smells of burnt malts with a hint of coffee but it is pretty strong.

T - Upfront, there is bitter chocolate with a hint of coffee, this gives way to a creamier chocolate taste. After this, there is a slight hop taste a s a bitter chocolate taste, much like the initial tastes finishes it up.

M - Good thick mouthfeel for a stout, maybe a wee bit too much carbonation but this works great.

D - I was hoping for a little a wee bit better for only 6% ABV, but a great Stout overall.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

I hate explaining the look of a stout. It's deep dark brown/black, opaque, and there's gasp a tan head. Lots of lacing and I'll give you that this looks a bit thicker than expected in a 6% beer.

The nose is that of coco and American hops. An interesting experience with chocolate (not just a burn malt aroma that gives off a dark chocolate like smell) and citrus American hops. I recall seeing chocolate and orange flavored candies in the past and thinking they were pretty awful, but this somehow seems to work. The chocolate aroma starts strong, but swirling the beer in the glass gives way to far stronger hops. There's a bit of a vanilla/buttery like aroma at the finish as well.

Chocolate rushes in to start, hops take over, buttery notes, and the finishing with a bitter chocolate finish. An amazingly amount of flavor and complexity and at 6%...just wow. For a brewer I often think of primarily for absurd prices and below average beers this one is just over priced.

I need more from a beer with this much flavor and complexity. I want a bit more cream, or oil, or something to have the mouth feel match the rest of the beer. That said it's nice to open a bomber I know won't leave me intoxicated.

I really need to find this on tap as I expect it to be rather reasonably priced. That said this is exceptional beer. While I miss the intense power and weight of the double chocolate, but the hop flavors here are just exceptional and really add a lot of the beer.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Served on-tap at Backstage in Torrington, Conn.

A: Black with a two-finger head of creamy, tan foam which dissipates quickly, leaving a ring of sticky lace.

S: Cocoa nibs, herbal, earthy hop aromas that are muted next to the brown sugar, molasses and chocolaty aromas of the brew.

T: Rich, creamy roasted black malts with Yoo-Hoo! added to it. Seriously, this brew tastes like it had Nesquik blended into the malt bill, which has otherwise bittersweet chocolate and black malt flavors leading into a dry, balanced, sweet and creamy finish.

M: Full-bodied and creamy stout with hints of sticky sweet cocoa powder resins left on the palate.

D: A true dessert stout with built-in chocolate companion flavors to boot. The 6% ABV is unnoticeable beneath the sometimes sickeningly sweet chocolate malt flavor. However, I'm partial to chocolate desserts, so I really enjoyed it. Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Good beer and even better on the nitro tap. Looks absolutely beautiful with a dark brown 1 inch head. The nitro adds a certain amount to the aroma and gives it a wonderfully smooth texture. Lots of chocolatey flavor and aroma. A solid stout that goes down easy and is just lovely.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Black, and a nice two finger brown head.

S - The only chocolate stout I have been able to smell chocolate in.

T - Unsweetened bakers chocolate and roasted malts,as with the smell I was able to taste the chocolate right from the start.

M - Smooth, dry on the finish.

D - Easily the best chocolate stout I have had, and very easy to drink. I would get it if you want a chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

St. Patrick's Day Review time. Tonight a Rogue brew.

Appearance - Jet black with 2 finger head brown in color.

Smell - Chocolate with chocolate.

Taste - Bittersweet bakers chocolate and roasted malts, after taste is chocolate with some hops. Could be sweeter I'd love for Rogue too try milk chocolate instead of the bitter dark bakers chocolate that I taste and see how that goes over.

Mouthfeel - Smoothest beer ever going down, bit dry on the finish.

Overall - I'd say this is one of my favorite stouts to date right up there with Samuel Smith's Stouts (which I haven't reviewed here yet /runs to store...) anyway go pick this up if you haven't already.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

First time trying the Rogue Chocolate Stout, and it is one of the better stout out there. It has a bit of a bitter-chocolate taste, though I wished it had a bit more sweetness to the taste (personal preference). The beer pours a dark brown with a generous light brown head that laces very nicely. I can't wait to purchase another bottle!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

After all this time of seeing Rogue around, even at the grocery store, had the money to spare to try one, figured why not? Pick up a deuce-deuce and go.

Getting the obvious out of the way first, it's a stout with chocolate in it, so the appearance is a No Duh: black, generous brown head that lingers quite awhile. There's still a 1/2inch layer. Smell is chocolate and more chocolate, somehow both bitter and the sweet kind at once, a bit of nuttiness (almond, kind of) in the background.

...wow. For something that sounds like such a simple concept (stout + chocolate), the actual taste is way more complex. Somehow even a bit of tart fruit is in the background, which ends up amping up the chocolate. Underneath all that is the backbone of a good dry stout, and goes down accordingly, w/ a slight warming.

I didn't expect to be so thoroughly convinced, but I am. Rogue earned my trust tonight.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours black in color with very little light coming through and a bubbly half inch head.

S: Roasted and burnt malt, chocolate, both bitter and sweet, vanilla, earthy and peppery aromas.

T: Chocolate, cream, vanilla, acrid and burnt malt and some roasted chicory. Some earthy and peppery hop flavors come through lightly. Balance is to the sweet.

M: Full body and creamy smooth carbonation.

D: Delicious and smooth character makes for a sipper at first but then you just can't help but want more.

A - as black as a moonless night in BFE country. beige luxurious head that bubbles like a witches cauldron

S - Massive chocolate notes on the nose. Roasty barley, citrus hops in the background.

T - Wow, is this exceptional. This chocolate stout nails it on the head for me. Its so chocolaty but in a totally natural and not-cloying way. Its also got a nice roasted malt component but not so much to where it begins to make the brew harsh. It simply complements the general theme adding a bittersweet note. this is like mainlining pure dark chocolate but in a way that's pleasurable and not overthetop sweet. Rather dry and a hop bitterness is featured surprisingly strongly thoughout the mid and backend - but very refined and nicely (think orange zest mixed with the finest quality cocoa). Superb. Makes my heart giddy.

M - awesome texture - relatively full bodied with the right amount of booze and everything else to make this texturally phenomenal as well as delicious on taste. the tastes become richer and more intriguing with every additional sip you take.

D - awesome. I really could drink this and not be overwhelmed at all.

Overall, a solid brew and my favorite stout (and beer)from rogues

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Pours a very dark brown with a one finger head that quickly goes away. I can smell malt, chocolate and hops. Not a very strong smell though. Taste is nice- chocolate, malt, and hops prevail. Mouthfeel is like drinking a chocolate beer milkshake. Very smooth and silky, with a dry hoppy finish. This one goes down real easily. Nice beer. Not super impressed, but it's good. Glad I got to try this one.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. No dates on bottle.

A - What a wonderful looking beer. Very dark beer with a beautiful 2 finger tan, foamy head. Had a nice cap that lasted throughout. Nice lacing.

S - One of the best. Beautiful bouquet of aromas! Dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, rich roasted malts. I even had to have my kids smell it and they thought it smelled amazing too.

T & M - Rich, medium-bodied, full taste. Quite simply the best chocolate beer I've had. Someone else described it as a beer chocolate milk shake and that sums it up. Just enough hop bitterness to equal out the chocolate sweetness.

D - I had 2 glasses and finished the bomber. Wish I had another. I will go out tomorrow and pick some more up. Excellent drinkability.

Try this beer - you won't be disappointed.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

A- pure black body with a brown mocha color head. About 2 finger head.

S- chocolate, roasted malts, Cigar tobacco and i also get some hops. FANTASTIC smell

T- dark Chocolate, coffee, tobacco,roasted malts,hops on the back end that gives it a nice bitter finish. Best chocolate beer ive had to date.

M- Medium to full mouth-feel

D- I must say this beer is exceptional. Very good and its a good price for what it is. This beer is very drinkable and tasty. This beer would definitely go fantastic with a streak or have it on its own for dessert or better yet pair it with chocolate cake.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Oh...my....God. Ive never tasted a chocolate stout like this. The first taste. Incredible. Beautiful tasty chewy. It doesnt get any better. Great head clings all the way through. Beautiful color. A beer milk shake! Great for dessert or just drinking by itself. Ample 22oz bottle presents well like all rogue products. Hops low but present enough to counteract chocolate. Fantastic! I want more!

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%

A beautiful looking pour. Nice thick tan head that sticks around forever. Excellent lacing. Very dark beer. Smells and tastes of chocolate and some roasted malts. Creamy, milky. Very well balanced, nothing overpowering. A great session beer or one to enjoy for dessert.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A- pours a think chocolate milk color with a nice foamy head.

S-OMG the smell of this is heavenly. Has a great chocholate aroma..its like feeding your nose a chocolate bar!

T-Has a wonderfull sweet chocolate taste to begin with then in the middle it his you with alittle booze just to remind you that your still drinking a beer then finishes off smooth

M-Medium bodied with a great feel in your mouth

D-This is one of my favorite beers in this style. This is like a wonderful desert at the end of a great dinner. WOuld use this as a finishing beer any night of the week! Great beer

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Chocolate + Beer, does it get any better than that! This beer is easy to drink, very smooth. For me there was no bitter after taste. By the end of the beer it did get warm and was not as tasty as it was first opened, nice and cold. I do like Stouts a little heavier than this one. But all in all I very much enjoyed it and would buy it anytime!

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saw this on tap at a local restaurant, and had never tried it. Sampled it beforehand so I didn't have to commit fully, but I am certainly glad I did. Came out almost black, with a tan 2 finger head. As soon as I picked up the pint glass I smelled the chocolate--very sweet smelling. After tasting, however, i was pleasantly surprised at the taste--more of a bittersweet chocolate. I only had one, as it was a quick meal, but it certainly could have been more--the alcohol was barely noticeable, and it was not nearly as heavy as other stouts. Next time, I'll try to pair it more appropriately with food (pizza was an odd choice), but I am guessing that will not be too far in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

This is bar far the best stout I have had, and everywhere I go I make an attempt to try any stout I find. The beer pours up with a monstrous tan head, maybe 2-3 fingers, with a pitch black body. The mouth feel is very creamy like, fairly thick but good. Taste is what you would expect, dark chocolate, coffee, the smokey aftertaste, not too much though. I have had many "chocolate stout" beers and this one is one the the few I have had that really has the feel taste of chocolate. Overall this beer is one of my go to stouts anytime, awesome beer!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales