Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,201 |  Reviews: 1,913
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

A- pure black body with a brown mocha color head. About 2 finger head.

S- chocolate, roasted malts, Cigar tobacco and i also get some hops. FANTASTIC smell

T- dark Chocolate, coffee, tobacco,roasted malts,hops on the back end that gives it a nice bitter finish. Best chocolate beer ive had to date.

M- Medium to full mouth-feel

D- I must say this beer is exceptional. Very good and its a good price for what it is. This beer is very drinkable and tasty. This beer would definitely go fantastic with a streak or have it on its own for dessert or better yet pair it with chocolate cake.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Oh...my....God. Ive never tasted a chocolate stout like this. The first taste. Incredible. Beautiful tasty chewy. It doesnt get any better. Great head clings all the way through. Beautiful color. A beer milk shake! Great for dessert or just drinking by itself. Ample 22oz bottle presents well like all rogue products. Hops low but present enough to counteract chocolate. Fantastic! I want more!

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%

A beautiful looking pour. Nice thick tan head that sticks around forever. Excellent lacing. Very dark beer. Smells and tastes of chocolate and some roasted malts. Creamy, milky. Very well balanced, nothing overpowering. A great session beer or one to enjoy for dessert.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A- pours a think chocolate milk color with a nice foamy head.

S-OMG the smell of this is heavenly. Has a great chocholate aroma..its like feeding your nose a chocolate bar!

T-Has a wonderfull sweet chocolate taste to begin with then in the middle it his you with alittle booze just to remind you that your still drinking a beer then finishes off smooth

M-Medium bodied with a great feel in your mouth

D-This is one of my favorite beers in this style. This is like a wonderful desert at the end of a great dinner. WOuld use this as a finishing beer any night of the week! Great beer

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Chocolate + Beer, does it get any better than that! This beer is easy to drink, very smooth. For me there was no bitter after taste. By the end of the beer it did get warm and was not as tasty as it was first opened, nice and cold. I do like Stouts a little heavier than this one. But all in all I very much enjoyed it and would buy it anytime!

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Saw this on tap at a local restaurant, and had never tried it. Sampled it beforehand so I didn't have to commit fully, but I am certainly glad I did. Came out almost black, with a tan 2 finger head. As soon as I picked up the pint glass I smelled the chocolate--very sweet smelling. After tasting, however, i was pleasantly surprised at the taste--more of a bittersweet chocolate. I only had one, as it was a quick meal, but it certainly could have been more--the alcohol was barely noticeable, and it was not nearly as heavy as other stouts. Next time, I'll try to pair it more appropriately with food (pizza was an odd choice), but I am guessing that will not be too far in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

This is bar far the best stout I have had, and everywhere I go I make an attempt to try any stout I find. The beer pours up with a monstrous tan head, maybe 2-3 fingers, with a pitch black body. The mouth feel is very creamy like, fairly thick but good. Taste is what you would expect, dark chocolate, coffee, the smokey aftertaste, not too much though. I have had many "chocolate stout" beers and this one is one the the few I have had that really has the feel taste of chocolate. Overall this beer is one of my go to stouts anytime, awesome beer!

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Awesome overall beer. Not overly coffee-like, as many stouts are. Smooth chocolately goodness in every sip. Deep flavouring that leaves a smooth after taste. Just a hint of overall hoppage, but definitely noticeable throughout the sip. The only way to describe smell is to chock it up as a combination of a Starbucks and The Hershey Chocolate factory. Warming, smooth, and full bodied. Easy to drink, even for a heavy duty stout.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

Pours pitch black in color with about one finger of coffee colored fluffy head that remains throughout the beer.

The scent is of mostly chocolate and roasted malt.

The taste is dominant of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, notes of coffee.

Medium body, smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

This was a very good stout, much lighter than I would expect making it easier to drink.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Thick brown with a nice dark brown foamy head that sticks around forever and leaves great lacing.

S: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. Powdered cocoa smell is unbelievable.

T: Not as sweet as the smell suggests. Bittersweet chocolate with a slight hoppiness coming through the middle. A hard finish of bittersweet chocolate works well. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Simply put, a wonderful stout from Rogue.

Pours a dark brown color.

Scent is what's advertised: chocolate stout.

Perfectly balanced taste. Chocolate is just right, not overly powerful.

Goes down smooth. Perfect as an after-dinner drink with dessert.

3.56/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a giant mug.

A: Dark black. Aggressive pour yielded one of the best heads to date. Nitro looking with the carbonation going on.

S: Decent smelling stout. Chocolate and roasted malts.

T: Subdued chocolate. Not bad but was expecting more, considering the rep here. This is my second go around with this beer hoping I would get more chocolate next time. Does not come close to the chocolate notes in last night's Old Raspy.

M: Light for a stout. Not much as far as body or chewiness.

D: Easy to drink but rather pedestrian to my tastes. Something shy of World Class IMHO.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber bottle into a pint glass

A: 100% pitch black, though it looks like a little bit of a brown tone. Pours a huge dark beige head.

S: Dutch process cocoa, coffee, and a light cigar smoke aroma. Sweet chocolate syrup.

T: Brilliant. Light hop bitter finishes off what I can only describe as perfection. Toasty chocolate and nice malty depth. Flavor=perfect.

M: Rich but not overwhelmingly thick.

D: Nearly 100% perfect. Right there with Surly Coffee Bender and Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this on tap at Novare Res, the beer pours dark bubbles forming a creamy head

The aroma is maltly full of chocolate malt, nice sweet cocoa aroma and hints of a coffee roastedness.

The taste starts with a slight carbonation. The carbonation builds to reveal a sweet velvet feel. A milk chocolate flavor with a roasted finisht showcases a great mouth on this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

One of the most "black as oil" beers Ive seen.

The smell was AMAZING with fresh but subtle chocolate and a nice crispness from the hops and carbonation.

The taste was very similar to the smell with chocolate with a slight roastiness and a nie little bitter in the middle.

This beer was a great choice after a nice meal on valentines and Ill have to pick it up again sometime in the future.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Very dark appearance, almost jet black with a brownish hue. Love the color.

S: In short, a great chocolate smell with dark malt and hops. Some nutty molasses in there as well.

T: I was a little skeptical of a chocolate Beer but Surprisingly it was blended well. You taste the chocolate mostly when it first hits your tongue and on the aftertaste. I like how you can taste the chocolate but it doesn't overpower it at all. Great brewing if you ask me. An awesome winter Beer to be savored.

M: Wow, I was surprised on how smooth this Beer was. Phenomenal texture, so creamy. I think the chocolate really comes through on the mouthfeel.

D: I could drink a lot of this, I don't want to put it down.

I highly recommend this beer if you are a fan of dark beers, it really is liquid gold. Awesome Beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours bible black as a fluffy frothy long lived sculptured head wells up from the surface. The tan-brown head reminds me of a meringue and indeed it's atop what's close to a dessert.

The nose pours forth with an avalanche of chocolate or cocoa. It reminds me of the smell of Hershey's cocoa-- the main ingredient in "hot chocolate". But it's not just cocoa-- the nose wells forth with wafts of hops, toasted malt, raisin flavor and caramel.

Flavor is memorable-- from now on every time I see the bottle the full bodied "up front and center stage" flavor will come to mind. Tons of everything- hops bitterness, but in style, chocolate of course, sweet malt, raisin and caramel. But the flavor isn't just a cavalcade of the above ingredients. It's rounded and well balanced so that all of the flavor ingredients work together to build the overall mouthfeel.

Mouthfeel is like swallowing velvet. It's extremely smooth and slides down- I love oysters on the half shell.. if you do too you'll know what I mean.

Drinkability -superior, the comparatively low ABV coupled with the "warm fuzzy blanket" like flavor profile make this a beer that I could enjoy for the entire evening- only to notice I've put down a half gallon!

Be warned-- this beer should be enjoyed on it's own. I can't think of a dish, besides chocolate mousse that this beer would complement.

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Served in a plastic tumbler.

Another revisiting from me during this stretch. It pours a garnet-tinged black-brown topped by a finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises, you guessed it, chocolate, along with some seemingly obligatory roasted malts. The taste merely sprinkles on the cocoa powder while simultaneously skimping on the roast as well. And, unfortunately, just like the smell, there ain't nuthin' else happenin' up in here. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, despite this being easy to drink, I really don't have much of an inclination to do so. It's not really bad (meaning offensive), but it's far from very good.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

This pours black with a two finger tan head that sticks around with very light lacing. The nose is chocolate (!), huge, dark chocolate truffles, some roasty malt underneath and more chocolate. The chocolate fades in the mouth a bit, and it's surprisingly thin bodied for a stout, but the dark chocolate flavors are definitely present. For such a sweet beer it's definitely drinkable, the low-ish alcohol content contributing to that a bit. I had it for dessert tonight after lamb loin chops that I served with Hop Stoopid. This beer is sort of similar to that one in that it's a one trick pony, but it's a good trick to have. Will buy again.

Updated 18 November 2011. Bumped up appearance and mouthfeel scores. Everything else still applies. Overall, this is a fine brew.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Apperance: It's a stout, it's black. Some color showing through the sides but not through the middle. This has the most beautiful 2 finger chocolate ice cream colored head. Wow. A delicious looking beer.

Smell: Malty with the chocolate up front. I've read reviews saying milk chocolate but after several servings I still put this in the dark category. Maybe in the 60% range of chocolate bars.

Tastes: Pretty much same as the nose. Delicous, I keep coming back for more.

Mouthfeel: It's a little on the thin side, but not terribly so. Average. Carbonation is appropriate.

Drinkability: Had some fresh and not so fresh bottles in town check your drink by dates! I love coming back to this one, but have been disappointed a couple times when I purchased an older bottle without realizing.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

S: Rich milk chocolate, mocha notes.

L: Dark black, dark tan head with great lacing and retention.

T: Rich cocoa like malt with some mocha sweetness. Semi-sweet leading to medium bitterness, earthy. Finishes with some coffee roastiness and more hot cocoa, dry.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Great chocolate in this beer, very mocha-like and just delicious. Fairly dry and not too sweet which helps drinkability.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

650 ml bottle split with the gf for vday.

A - Pure black with frothy mocha colored-head. Good retention.

S - Chocolate syrup with notes of roasted malt.

T - Thick and sweet cocoa flavor followed by the roasted malt. The bitter combination of roasted malt and dark chocolate towards the end is quite pleasant.

M- Medium to full bodied. Moderate carbonation.

D - Had it on-tap a few days ago and the chocolate characteristics were a lot more prominent, so the bottled version is a little disappointing. Still a pretty solid stout though.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The appearance is outstanding. The beer appears opaque and jet black, with a towering, thick beige head over an inch thick. After several minutes, the head slowly begins to dissipate, leaving ample lacing all over the tulip glass.

S: The aroma is fabulous, with dominant scents of chocolates and chocolate syrup, followed by a roasted malt character.

T: The taste does not disappoint. Chocolate syrup and melted chocolates consume the palate without ever being overly sweet. Roast and coffee flavors come in behind, creating a wonderful and delicate dance.

M: The feel is great. Smooth and creamy, with just the right carbonation level.

D: I honestly didn't think I could drink so much of this beer and still want more. I drank most of the bomber by myself, and was a bit bummed when it ran out. A superb marriage of chocolate and beer - highly recommended.

3.03/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance - A huge fistful of head that exploded over the mug and out onto the floor. A rich chocolate frothy lump on top. Decent lacing.

Smell - Only chocolate and malt.

Taste - A cola-like chocolate that seemed slightly skunked. A more bitter chocolate. It honestly didn't taste all too different from the Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock I had earlier today.

Mouthfeel - A smooth and tasty coffee flavor. Remains a bit skunked. Perhaps I got an older bottle.

Drinkability - Easily drinkable and a little watery. I don't see anything too special in this stout.

Verdict - I personally couldn't find what was so special about this stout. One of the less impressive chocolate stouts I've had. As I said, perhaps my bottle was a little old.

2.33/5  rDev -44.4%

So it's officially my birthday now, but it was officially my coworker's birthday a few minutes ago when this beverage started to be consumed by him. Being that we have to be at work in about 8 hours, he decided, against my better judgment, that he needed to start making the walk up the hill to better prepare himself for the morning. I'm still not sure what this was all about. But, it was a free beer. As it sat for 23 seconds unmanned, I pondered my course of action. I was then able to determine that this was clearly an early birthday present from John Maier himself in some sort of misguided attempt to assuage me into liking Rogue beers. I obliged him. The milky chocolate dominates the beer, at first a delightful treat fading into a cloying sweet Nesquik chocolate drink. It smells great, thick chocolate rising into the air. But the chocolate is compromised somehow. It is no Theo's chocolate, a thing of pure glory. Sort of a fake chocolate luster. "Natural chocolate flavoring." What was wrong with chocolate? Too chocolatey? Not chocolatey enough? Whatever, it is what it is. Just a thick and sweet malty brew, not awful, not undrinkable, just not worth spending my money on. Sorry, John, I tried again..to be continued..(next season)

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales