Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,194 |  Reviews: 1,911

The beer pours dark brown with a tan head. The aroma is milk chocolate and roasted malt. The flavor is roasted malt, chocolate syrup and piney hops. There is some surprising bitterness, either from the roasted malt or from the cascade hops. Medium-thick mouthfeel and a biting, high carbonation. A very nice beer, but I wish the hops were more in the background since I don't think the pine flavor melds real well with the chocolate notes.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Nearly dark as night, with minimal amounts of light permeating through. Just enough to let me know that it is indeed liquid, and not purely motor oil sitting at the bottom of my glass. I redact the last comment: "motor oil" hardly does the beer justice as far as pure beauty is concerned. Imagine taking the finest Belgian Dark Chocolate bar, melting it down, and pouring it into a glass. Hence, Chocolate Stout is born.

S: I smell nothing beer-related here, but I don't mean to detract from the beer with this comment. Dark chocolate, malty undertones, perhaps some sweet cocoa at the end of the inhalation.

T: My tastebuds are, for the most part, privy to more purely sweet tones when it comes to a chocolate stout. This Chocolate Stout seems to err on a more Dark-Chocolate, semi-sweet side. But I'm not complaining by any means. I think any sweeter and I would have gotten tired of this beer before the bottle was through. As it stood, it contained the perfect amount.

M: Nothing extremely spectacular, but certainly smooth. About like I expected. Felt like a true stout. Thick, heavy on the pallet, but ultimately swallowed clean and crisply. Very solid.

D: I'd definitely drink this beer again. Easily sessionable. I could have definitely gone for another bomber. I'll be back!

Some say that Rogue beers are overrated, claiming the appeal's merely derived from the silkscreen-printed bottles. While the bottles are very cool (and, almost reason-enough to buy the beer), I think the taste speaks for itself. Yet another good beer from a very good brewery.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a New Belgium chalice black with a thick tan head, good retention and lacing all the way down. The scent is strong of cocoa nibs and dark chocolate. The taste is much similar to the scent. The cocoa leaves a bit of a rough texture to the mouthfeel and leaves an extra dryness to it at the end of the palatte.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Rogue Chocolate Stout. 650 ml. "bomber". 6% ABV

On the label:
"Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. An earthy flavor of oats and hops that gives way to a rich chocolate truffle finish."

Appearance:
Pours pitch black with a 1.5" bubbly light tan head that looks as soft as a down pillow. Thick chunky lacing leaves splatterings of foam on the side in abundance.

Aroma:
Dark chocolate, sweet malts and a tiny amount of bitter hops. The chocolate seems more pronounced than in most "chocolate" stouts I've had.

Taste:
Pretty mellow for a stout -- in a good way. I recently tasted the Rogue XS Imperial Stout, which was exceedingly bitter, and this is a nice change of pace. The flavor is lightly toasted malt, dark chocolate in abundance (though don't go thinking this will taste like chocolate milk) and a mocha background. The finish is mild: a little bit of sweetness followed by some residual bitterness. Aftertaste is bitter dark chocolate, though it doesn't stick around for long.

Mouthfeel:
Thick, substantial, and very creamy. It accentuates the milder aspects of this stout -- cradling the dark chocolate and mocha tenderly. Carbonation surprisingly peeks through toward the end, which is a nice touch to keep it from being too heavy.

Drinkability:
Mild flavor, 6% ABV, complexity, chocolate!, and a creamy, thick mouthfeel make this a pleasure to drink. Stouts tend to be less drinkable as a stand-alone beverage for me. However, this one did just fine. I think I would like it even better with a bar of chocolate and some soft bread.

Facts:
6% ABV
15° Plato
135.45° L
77 AA
made with imported chocolate

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Very lovely black color with about an inch of mocha head.
S - Slight chocolate but mostly hops in the backround.
T - Perfect balance of chocolate and toffee malt with a slight bitter kick of hops.
M - Sort of heavy but smooth.
D - Man I had my doubts before but I am glad I tried this again. The most affordable chocolate flavored beer I ever had in a bomber.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a couple bombers....poured into a pint glass..

A=was great, huge milk chocolate looking head deep brown almost black color.

S=smelled of roasted malts and dark chocolate.

T=Roasted hops almost burnt flavor up front, fallowed by a nice dark chocolate that really sets this beer apart! loved it.

M-mouth feel was great I cant stop drinking this. roasted malts and chocolate flavor are great.

D=A+ on drinkability, I absolutely love it easy going down, not filling, looks heavy and surprisingly is not, taste wonderful, excellent beer all around!

3.66/5  rDev -12.6%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours black with a frothy two finger creamy tan head. Lots of lace. Very good head retention on this one. A great looking pint of stout.

S: Milk chocolate, notes of roast, pleasant and soothing.

T: Big roasted malt flavour. Very dark chocolate as opposed to milk chocolate of the nose. Bitter, lightly hoppy finish.

M: Light/medium-bodied actually. A bit acrid.

D: I remember this being sweeter in the past and I liked it a bit more then, but it was nice to return to a classic brew.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Presentation: 22oz painted bown pop-top, no date; love how Rogue puts their ingredients on the bottle

Appearance: Black beer; cola-hues around the edges; big dark tan cap, good retention and some lace

Smell: Man, talk about chocolate! This has a BIG aroma of old-fashioned chocolate creme soda. Other than that, there's just a bit of minerality. Not a ton going on, but pleasant.

Taste: Not as much chocolate as in the aroma; it's not sickeningly sweet, which I was afraid it might be. Bitter chocolate, burnt caramel, and tons of burnt grains. Pretty bitter; it seems like more than the 65 IBUs listed. Some lightly citric hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied

Drinkability: Medium-high

Conclusion: Not a bad stout at all, but not (IMO) up to the hype. Fairly tasty, but probably wouldn't buy it again. If I'm gonna drink a chocolate stout, I think I'd take Young's every time.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Served at cellar temp. Black as night apperance, pours thick. Big two finger tan head, thick and frothy. Great head retention.
Big powdery coco aroma. Some sweet toasted grains and oats, but dominated by semi-sweet chocolate.
Dark chocoalte flavors with toasted grain and oatmeal. Slight bitterness. Chocolate flavors are more on the unsweetend side. Dry coco powder comes to mind.
Thick heavy mouthfeel. Might be able to stick a fork in it. Leaves the mouth lingering with chocolate notes.
Great desert beer. Drink might benifet from a little more malt sweetness.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

For my 200th review I wanted to sample one of my favorite beer styles, the American Stout, so I chose one that has rated highly on BA. Let's see if it lives up to all the hype.

A - Poured from the brown bomber into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. A fairly aggressive pour yielded a dark opaque brown brew topped with a huge foamy tan head. This head was so intense that I actually had to wait several minutes to get my first taste of this brew....damn you beautiful head! A gorgeous frothy wall of frothy lacing was left down the inside of the glass. So far, so good!

S - My first thought was that this smelled like a chocolate milk shake. I also am catching just the slightest hint of hops lingering in the background. Very inviting aroma.

T & M - The chocolate I smelled in the nose is certainly present and it frolics playfully with the roasted malt and Cascade and Willamette hops. I was a little surprised to read that this brew has a 69 IBU rating...it almost doesn't taste that high because of the chocolate sweetness. Smooth medium body finishes with a bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

D - This is one helluva drinkable brew! Rogue certainly knows what they are doing with stouts, and it shows since they have 2 beers in the top 4 for this particular beer style. This beer works on several levels, dessert beer or just all around good brew. I'll be recommending this one to my friends!

Poured (into a pint glass) a jet black, with a dark brown head. The head measured two fingers. The initial smell of this beer was that of coffee, and possibly cocoa. The initial taste of the beer was that of chocolate, malts, coffee, and some roastiness. There was a definite bitter kick to it, which was quite nice. The brew finished with a roasted chocolate flavor, which lingered for a little while. The brew was medium to full bodied and left lacing on the glass.

An additional note to add is that it was very carbonated, I found myself belching more than usual. Definitely a beer I'd buy again, but not one that I would go out of my way to get. Worth a try to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black color with a 2 finger tan foamy head with good retention. Smells of chocolate and cocoa. The taste is chocolate, cocoa, and some burnt bitterness. Not as much sweet chocolate as the smell would suggest. More roasted malt flavor comes forward.

The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected, and there is quite a bit of carbonation. The mouthfeel is the weakest part of the beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this on tap at the Rogue Public House in Portland a few months back and was impressed - this review is based on the bomber I'm currently enjoying. I like this bottle - lots of good info printed on it: ingredients, food pairings, IBU's, etc. (no freshness date, though). Pours black with a rich, two-finger hazelnut head that leaves patches of lace and manages a thin layer of retention. Aroma is dominated by chocolatey goodness, but there are also some light roasted coffee notes, oats and minty hops in the nose. The taste starts with a touch of minty hops, which quickly gives way to roasted malts and dark chocolate. Finish is sweet chocolate; there's a bit of lasting bitterness (with some light citrus notes) - the light roasted flavor lingers on the palate, too. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied; its a little chewy and there's a light zing from the carbonation. Personally, this is one of my favorite stouts and it's even more enjoyable on draft - its chocolatey and a touch hoppy. Probably my favorite Rogue ale.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

New Beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with a dark brown/black color that allows zero light through as I hold it up to a bright light. About a finger of quickly dissipating head that leaves great looking lacing.

Smell - Bittersweet chocolate. A very slight hint of coffee, however, the main smell here is malty, sweet, bittersweet chocolate. My mouth is salivating in anticipation to try this after a rather bland dinner.

Taste - As the nose presented, the first taste here is bittersweet chocolate. Great malty goodness mixed with oats. This reminds me a bit of Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout to be honest. In addition to the overwhelming chocolate flavors, there was, as in the nose, a slight hint of coffee but not by any means strong or like a coffee stout.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy, and relatively full.

Drinkability - Great after dinner beer but not something I would just open for the hell of it. I've had this for some time now and am glad I opened it tonight. Pretty good!

4.44/5  rDev +6%

22-ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark body with a three-fingered tan head. Rentention is fair with some rings left around the glass as the foam subsided.

S: A wonderful sweet chocolate smell with hints of coffee. I was taking a whiff of it before every sip I had.

T: Bitter, chocolatey taste, although no where near as sweet as the smell. Smelling the beer with a sip in my mouth is just fantastic. A nice roasted coffee aftertaste.

M: A creamy mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation followed by a dry finish.

D: I could definitely down many of these. I'll be buying it again.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

had this on tap at the Bulldog on magazine st. new orleans
review is from quick notes.

poured a black body with a brown finger thick head.
smells beautifully of chocolate, seems like a mix of sweet and bitter chocolate smells, along with some caramel malt
Big chocolate taste, with coffee and caramel malts in there too.
the beer is smooth and silky, carbonation is just right
its a very drinkable beer. what a perfect dessert beer, can be a dessert on its own.

added note: now that i think of it, back about two years ago, i was introduced to craft brews for the first time by a future tulane track and field teammate. and he took me to a mix-a-six place. he told me to grab this. and this was the first craft brew to really get me into the world of craft beer. two years later, and almost a year as a BA, i finally revisit rogue chocolate stout and review it.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well what can i say this is has got to be one of my most favourite American microbreweries even though i havnt had access to alot of other American microbrews this was definately my first intro into nice quality American brews and if i had to say one thing about Rogue it would be their consistency to produce top quality brews anyways enough of my spiel onto the brew it pours a dark murky cola hue with really decent carbonation that leaves a rapid rising two finger creamy head off a gentle pour and a frothy ring of lacing,the aroma is like you have just opened up a tasty rich belgian chocolate easter egg it is a very lucious chocolate aroma thats sweetness is balanced out by a fruity,hoppy undertone and just from the smell itself you can tell this brew is gonna be something else,and yes i am right the taste of this brew is something to be savoured it starts off with a smooth,creamy full mouthfeel but yet finishes nice and light like a light pale ale and if i was in charge of naming this beer i would of called it Bittersweet as it starts off like a full chocolate flavoured desert beer but finishes like a bitter IPA with chocolate in it,basically they really got the balance right in this brew and please dont be put off by the fact its a chocolate stout as it really is a nice combination of flavours and will always have a place in my fridge/cellar.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Pretty, creamy, light brown head that needs some agitation to get going. The nose of roasted malt and chocolate is simple but elegant. Taste is reminiscent of the nose. Nothing complex... roasted malt and chocolate, but extremely intense. Bigger hop flavor that I expected from this style, but not a lot of bitterness. Tastes dry hopped but probably isn't. Thinner mouthfeel than I expected, but I think that works in its favor. Still a little mouth-coating creaminess, presumably from the oats, which gives it some richness. Carbonation is appropriate and its drinkability is good.

I can't say this beer is anything particularly innovative, but it is intense and delicious. Everything about it seems "correct."

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

22 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint. Ingredients, 15 degrees Plato, 69 IBU, 77 AA, 135.45 degrees Lovibond, no date.

Thanks to OneNote81 for sending a second bottle of this beer to me after it broke in the first box! What a crazy story...

A - A tall pour creates totally huge cascading that ends in a three+ finger head with awesome retention. The dark mocha foam left rings and rings of lace white dropping slowly. The beer itself is black as midnight.

S - This beer smells like it's got chocolate chunks floating in it! Rich milk chocolate all over the nose. Tons of roasted malts to back it up. A touch of milky cream in there too with a caramel-cube sweetness. Just a rich, bold, thick aroma. A small hop aroma comes across on the finish.

T - Unfortunately the flavor doesn't live up to the hyped nose but it's close. A bit too much hops come out and really draw away from the bold roasted malts and thick milk chocolate. The flavor just ends up being thinner than anticipated.

M - Medium-full bodied and smooth with a roasty and hoppy bitter, dry finish. Not as rich as I would have liked to have had in the mouthfeel.

D - Not as drinkable as I anticipated from both the name and the aroma. A little too thin, much drier, and hoppier than I wanted. Don't get me wrong, it's still awesome but not as chocolaty as he name and smell let on.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

On-tap at Willibrew into a shaker pint.

A: Pours a black body with ruby highlights underneath a half finger head of fine tan foam. Good retention and lots of tight lace. Nice.

S: Chocolate and alcohol are all I can smell. Not too bad, though.

T: Bittersweet chocolate, toasty, oaky malt, and a bit of hops bitterness on the finish. Interesting, but not quite amazing.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation.

D: Something about the way the hops and chocolate interact isn't really doing it for me.

Notes: This one disappointed me. It wasn't bad by any means, but the chocolate flavors just seemed artificial and cloying. I'm glad I tried a pint instead of buying a bomber.

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A-Deep, dark blackish brown body with a huge, nitro creamy tan head that held on strong and left copious, thick lace.

S-Like an espresso covered Tootsie Roll! Rich cocoa powder and chocolate syrup poke out from a roasted coffee bitterness.

T-Mmm, mmm, super creamy sweet chocolate meld with bitter sharp espresso and dark chocolate. A bit of earthy hoppiness in the roasty, dry finish.

M-Medium bodied, super smooth with a nice lingering bitterness.

D-Simply great! Full of flavour with a wonderful aroma. I feel the nitro delivery added wonders to this brew. Plenty of hop/roasted malt bitterness with just enough sweetness to smooth things out. Masterful!

Served in a pint glass.

Served with 1/2 finger of creamy chocolate milk colored head. Fades to a thin layer. Some sticky lace left. Color is a dark chocolate.

Aroma: Some toasted malts and cocoa powder. Not to much for the nose, but decent.

Taste: Rich chocolate and cocoa powder. Very creamy with some roasted malts again. Some fresh earthy hops as well. A fairly straight forward beer, but decent none the less.

Mouthfeel: Very rich, smooth, and creamy. Full bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends roasted and dry.

Overall, a decent beer. A ton of chocolate. Very thick like a milkshake. Pretty easy to drink a pint, but very filling. I dig it, but wouldn't buy it too often.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A: black, tight brown head,

S: barley, chocolate, hops.

T: chocolate malts, real chocolate, right off the bat then the hops round out the beer. this one awesome chocolate stout.

M: good feel that is that of your average stout. good thick feel

D: one bottle is good for me but the abv is low enough that one bomber will not be the last beer of the night.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Christening my Portsmouth tulip with this one. Paired with a couple Lindt dark chocolates. Pours black, excellent tan 3-finger head. Fluffy and rocky. Leaves super thick lacing and retains well, great looking beer. Smell is great, rich chocolate, caramel, truffle-esque scent. Taste is sort of underwhelming after the excellent looks + smells. Nice chocolate and oat combo, a bit of roasted malts, earthy notes and hops. The problem is it feels a bit watery, it would be truly stellar if it had some more body to it. It's a very easy drinking stout, a bit pricey though. Finish is kind of weak, a bit of booze starts to show through. An enjoyable, easy-drinking, classic chocolate stout.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

I poured this stout from a 650ml bottle into a mug. The beer is dark brown and there is no light visible through the mug. The head has a orange tinted brown color and the body of meringue and the lacing is very nice.

Smell is very chocolaty like a cup of hot cocoa. The aroma is wafty and lingering and inviting.

Taste is likewise chocolaty with a bite from the hops that makes for a balanced beer that begs to be drunk. The mouthfeel is creamy and full with a bitter, clean finish and just enough carbonation to carry the tastes and entice the palate.

Drinkability is awesome, as with most Rogue products. This is another clear winner and one of the best stouts I have ever had. I look forward to the oatmeal stout. Mmmm, Rogue beer.

Slainte!