Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,208 |  Reviews: 1,914
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

I've had a few chocolate stouts and this one is slightly underwhelming, compared mostly with the outrageous Choklat by Southern Tier. The appearance is great, showing thick and dark with a light brown 1/4 inch head (poured into a snifter). Mouthfeel is good, but a bit thin and bubbly. The smell is light chocolate, which, when tasted, translates about the same: a tad underwhelming. A mild hoppy character comes in towards the end to cut a bit of the up front, malty sweetness, which creates a good balance. This is definitely an above average example of the style, but it didn't make me say "Wow!" or "This is "World Class.""

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an opaque black color with a thick light-brown head showing good retention. Strong chocolate and caramel malt aroma jumps right out of the glass. Nice, but not complex. Taste begins with a nice balance of roasted and sweet malt flavor. Then a bit of hop bitterness comes out along with a sort of baker's chocolate bitterness that lingers a bit with a dry finish. Very nicely balanced for a chocolate stout in my opinion. Mouthfeel is smooth although body (light to medium) is a bit lighter than expected and carbonation is higher than expected. Overall, a very tasty beer that I could have several of.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Poured into a super tall glass, it's ultra black and very thick. It does produce a super large head that keeps building and building, I thought it was going to over flow there for a minute, tons of lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

S- I smell bitter hops and bitter coffee with a small trace of dark rich chocolate on the finish, very roasty, almost smells burnt.

T- POW... there it is, perfection! You'll get alot of hops but it's complimented very well with a bitter heavy roast super dark chocolate, it does finish a bit dry. I've never tasted a chocolate stout filled with so much roast character, Rogue was not afraid of brewing a kick you in the face chocolate stout. Most other chocolate stouts I've tasted are smooth, subtle, and sweet. This stout slaps you on the side of the head and waves hi. :P Amazing.

M- Creamy, thick, ultra rich, and very pleasant.

D- High on the drinkability scale for the purposes of enjoying a delicious dessert beer, would I pound this watching a football game? Probably not. I would like to note I purchased this bomber for $4.99, so it's a great price for an amazing stout. When "I" drink this I want to savor the ingredients and pair it with an aged Torano Exodus cigar or perhaps even a Partagas Black.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Macado's Halloween-branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color with a thick creamy tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves considerable lacing.

Smell: Smells like a bar of baking chocolate. Also has considerable roasted malt notes.

Taste: Starts hoppy. Finishes chocolatey with considerable roasted maltiness as well. Also has a little bit of a coffee flavor to it. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full-bodied with a sticky finish.

Drinkability: A tasty stout and one I would love to try again some time. Another win for Rogue!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pitch black pour with a beautifully tanned head. The flow off of draft looks sturdy and oil rich. The frothy cap grew and grew until it grew out of my glass. The cap stayed for the full term and was left in the bottom of the glass. This brew has a great cocoa flavor with a nice bitter finish that is complimentary to the initial sweetness. This is a great chocolate and coffee representation in the aroma. This brew is missing a little of the toasty nuttiness in the flavor that I was expecting from the aroma. The mouth feel isn't as hearty as I had expected from the pour but far from thin and still properly bodied. The bitterness of the cocoa persists throughout jumping up and down on the pallet. This is no subtle brew and once you start don't plan on moving on, this one owns the pallet for quite a while.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Deep, dark brown approaches black. Head lingers for several minutes and lacing is heavy.

Smell: Heavy on roasted malts and dark chocolate.

Taste: Chocolately in a noticeable, yet subtle way. Some sips taste like a shot of chocolate milk was put in this beer, others taste like premium dark chocolate was ground into a powder and dissolved in the beer. Despite these fine flavors, this is still a full-bodied stout, first and foremost; a stout's stout, as it were.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and creamy with moderate carbonation. There is a bitter aftertaste from the dark chocolate and roasted malts that lingers, but this is expected.

Drinkability: I finished my pint surprisingly quickly for a beer with so much flavor and body. Very drinkable for such a heavy stout.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

A=deep dark opaque brown, with little 1/2 finger head that laces well

S=cocoa and chocolate on the nose, some hops crispness in the back

T=again cocoa and chocolate, with bitterness and crispness on the finish

M=crisp carbonation, very tight, with some slight oiliness on the finish

D=not real drinkable for me due to the sweetness and chocolaty flavors, but good for the designed taste.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a cola brown that collects into a black body with hints of red. Deep tan head that never really goes away, throwing some lacing up the sides of the glass.

S- Strong. Big wafts of chocolate. It smells like a tootsie roll.

T- Less chocolate that I expected. Mostly roasty and charred. Some earthiness towards the end followed by some hops.

M- Thinner than I had hoped. Fluffy carbonation. Smooth

D- This is an alright beer. Nothing awful but I dont think I'll have it again.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Dense blackness with a brown one-finger head. Ring is retained at the top to leave sporadic lacing on the glass.

Smells like dark chocalate and roasted coffee.

Chocolate seems lessened in the flavor. Lots of roasted notes. Very smooth though.

Full bodied. Finishes quite dry.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Picked this up a while ago at Binnys. Finally got around to it. Served in a Pisgah pint glass.

A - Pours with two fingers of dark mocha foam that dissipates fairly quickly to a thickish cap. There are a few tiny specks of lace. Body is a super dark brown that is only a tiny bit lighter with a touch of reddish glow at the fringes.

S - Huge cocoa smell - reminds me of Hershey's chocolate syrup. There's also a nice amount of roastiness and some floral hops, but milk chocolate is incredibly intense and just takes over. I don't even know if I'd be able to tell if this was beer if you gave it to me blind. It's a little mono-dimensional, but it doers exactly what it sets out to do.

T - The taste is a big step down - light cocoa, roasted malts, and a strange earthy and slightly unpleasant aftertaste. I'm not sure if that's what Rogue describes as "chocolate truffle finish", but it tastes like dirt to me. The initial taste is more of a 3.5/4.0 but the aftertaste drags it down.

M - Higher carbonation than I'd expect - tingles a little and burns a touch at the back end. Medium body that is fairly smooth once the carbonation dies down. Lots of residual stickiness that unfortunately carries that weird aftertaste with it (although I'm not going to punish the mouthfeel for the taste).

D - The ABV is low and well-hidden, and the carbonation, while higher, isn't bloaty. I just can't deal with that weird aftertaste, although it dissipates quickly enough that the beer is still fairly drinkable (and you can always drink more to cover it up!).

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%

Aroma - Roasted malts like crystal malts to be specific.

Appearance - Dark brown with a brown tan head that quickly dissipated.

Taste - Roasted malt and then tons of bitter hops and chocolate. Maybe too much bitterness for my taste. I think I'm too sensitive to hops to enjoy this beer. Not enough of the roasted malts to redeem this for me.

Notes - Good mouthfeel with a decent level of carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Going into this, I can tell this is going to be a good beer. Wow, the smell definitely gives off a coco aroma. Pours a solid, heavy brown head. Collapses down into the glass with depressions forming as the head dissipates. Pours a dark black.

First sip gives a sharp cocoa taste, closing with a slightly sweeter note. The aftertaste takes a bit of getting used to. Not to say that it isn't unpleasant, it's actually quite nice. But it can be a bit intimidating at first.

Body is very fulfilling. Has a great feel in the mouth. Carbonation is just enough, not too bubbly, not too flat. Everything just seems to click with this beer. It is everything that it promises and more. I've learned to respect Rogue beers, and this beer does everything to re-enforce that view, and more.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Tried a few weeks back, but I hadn't gotten around to reviewing it until now for various reasons. Dark ruby brown with a thick brown head that left good lacing. Smells of dark chocolate and a slight bit of coffee in the background. Tastes like unsweetened dark chocolate (awesome) and had a bit of a roasted character to it, with some notes of coffee and dark fruitiness to compliment the chocolatey body. Surprisingly smooth, with good carbonation- not too heavy, leaving you to enjoy it at your own pace. It went down very easily, while still retaining full character. I did use a good portion of the bottle to make two floats (received as payment for moving a couch for my brother's girlfriend) and was able to get an ample review from the remainder of the bottle poured into a pint glass. Once you've had this, you won't even be able to look at a Guinness again.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in pint glass.

Pours pitch black, with a thick, creamy mocha head. Retention is excellent with very thick lacing.

Hints of rich, smooth dark chocolate are immediately discernible, followed by hints of carob and raw cacao.

Roasty, smoky dark chocolate flavors are most prominent. A sweet, powdery cocoa-like flavor backs up the darker chocolate. Subtle notes of coffee and fig are also present. Smooth, slightly dry, clean finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and very smooth, with mild carbonation. Delicious on the palate. A heartier presence was expected.

Very delicious. I imagine, with chocolate cheesecake or chocolate brulee, it would make for a most decadent dessert.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

appearance: sticky head and creamy froth deep dark brown,nearly ebony

smell: subtle dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. a little disapointing. Nice hot cocoa hot aroma

taste: subtle cocoa which i was suprised. i was expecting more choocoalte, but a nice stout

mouthfeel: medium to full bodied

drinkability: a nice beer not as chocolatley as I may have thought but still a solid beer.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Bomber poured into tulip glass.

Appearance - Very dark, nearly black with mocha head. Head is almost an inch think in the tulip glass with decent retention. Looks stunning,

Smell - Immediate chocolate aroma, actually smells like a malted chocolate frappe, but not as sweet. I can not detect any hop aroma.

Taste - Taste like chocolate, with further hints of chocolate. Some bitterness, I can not believe the bottle states 69 IBU, which leads me to believe that this beer is very well balanced between the sweet and bitter. This beer is absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, great lingering aftertaste, my only slightly negative comment could be possible over carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy to consume, and yes please, I will have another.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance is jet black with a medium brown head. Dark malt and cocoa combination smells very similar to a tootsie roll with the slightest hints of pine and mustiness. A taste brings molasses, milk chocolate, slight roasted coffee flavors. Loads of chocolate, but not overly sweet and finishes dry. The feel is medium bodied for the style and a little heavy on the carbonation. Despite the deluge of chocolate flavor, I found this to be a very drinkable, and maybe more so than most in its class.

This is a unique beer - one that is extremely chocolaty, yet not so sweet and syrupy that it takes away from its drinkability.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Beige head one finger thick is imploding from within as if its the surface of some other planet, yet to be discovered. Body is black as the night itself. Aroma is chocolate, or more accurately as the bottle describes...chocolate truffle. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I would estimate that this bottle is one year old by the amount of yeast sediment/buildup at the bottom of the bottle...the perfect age for this slow to attenuate chocolate stout. Taste is creamy and smooth with some mild hops and mild alcohol heat. Some coffee notes, but mainly just chocolaty greatness. This is the best chocolate stout on Earth.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a a dark opaque black with a huge light brown/tan head that slowly settles and has great retention. Nice sticky lacing.

Smell is quite potent with rich milk chocolate and cocoa as well.

Taste is a wonderful! Now this is what I want to taste in a beer with the word chocolate on the label. A combination of sweet milk chocolate and a nice roasted dark chocolate malt bitterness towards the end. This is just about chocolate desert in liquid form to me. Very rich and pleasant!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and smooth. Cream with a mild amount of carbonation. Feels very nice on the tongue.

Drinakability in a word, fantastic! This is by far one of the best stouts I've ever had. It goes down very nicely and leaves me wanting to grab another bottle. I could drink this all night and if it were in six pack from, an instant session beer for me.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

I can't say I'm overall truly impressed with this beer, I like it fine but there's several things working against it to make it great. If you're reading this on a smart phone at a liquor store, just buy this beer; Rogue Chocolate Stout is worth trying. I will probably try this again in the future and I may update my review accordingly, but let's get into it.

The pour was actually disappointing, there was less than one finger's worth of head. The head was a nice brown color and the beer was a thick black, with some moderate lacing. The smell may have been my favorite thing about this beer. Rogue's Chocolate Stout smells like a fine dessert, there's some definite notes of cocoa powder, roasted malts and - of course - chocolate. The taste however is not very stoutish, it seems very watered down. There's some hop notes, chocolate, hints of vanilla,

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Served in a pint glass.

All is pretty standard for a hopsy stout. Nice dark body with a somewhat dissapointingly small amount of caramel colored head that leaves a nice, delicate lacing as you drink. The smell is very intricate, if a little too faint for me. Lots of smells: cocoa powder, vanilla, hops, roasted malt; all are very well balanced and leave a nice, faint auroma in your nose. I just wish there was a bit more robustness. The taste is good but not surprising or astounding. The hops, always well done in Rogue products, really take center stage and really leave the faint chocolate flavors as more of a side note. But still... good. It feels fine enough, though it is a little watery for my taste in stouts. Little carbonation is present. So all in all, a good drink and a good beer. I understand it in those terms but not as a top 100 beer and certainly not as the best Rogue has to offer.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a black brew, with tan massive chunky head - could float a bottle cap on it. Very nice looking brew. Nice sticky lace.

Smells awesome - chocolate, roasted; oats, barley, hops damn good smelling brew.

Brew taste very smooth, very complex and balanced. You get the roasted flavors, the chocolate, slightly bitter aftertaste.

This brew is a true treat to the palate, a superb stout that could go great after dinner. But hell why not make a session of it - I sure would. Superb.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

This is going to be a very unorthodox review.

I poured a 22oz chocolate stout into a soft drink cup in the gas station where I got it because I wanted to instantly drink it and Starkville has a 0 tolerance drinking-in-the-street law.

The color was very dark and rich - motor oil.

The smell was quite strong, extreme chocolate.

The taste was what I expected from the smell, almost like a chocolate malt from your local creamery.

For a stout this was surprisingly drinkable. I could probably drink three before I felt like I ate a loaf of bread.

I was wearing a big red cat head, and in order to keep my anonymity I drank this through a straw. I couldn't tell it was a beer, it tasted exactly like a chocolate malt.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Guinness tulip glass. No date. The body was clear of sediment, but a good deal of sludge remained in the bottom of the bottle. Dark brown with red highlights. The creamy tan head left sheets of lace.

Smell was chocolate pudding. Grains a cocoa powder. An interesting root-beer aroma developed as it warmed. Unusual but pleasant.

Taste was rich chocolate with a nice bitter finish. Creamy milky cocoa. Just enough hops presence to prevent the sweetness from becoming cloying.

Mouthfeel was dessert-like. Creamy medium to full body with enough zippy carbonation to cleanse the palate.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

On the last beer tasting evening with rvdoorn, he showed up with this big bottle of chocolate stout. I expected a lot from it considering the ratings.

A: BLACK it is! with a thick brown head.

S: CHOCOLATE... overpowering. Some roasted malts in the back and a hint of vanilla.

T: Very fatty milk chocolate. Much too intense for my likes. Roasted malts and a citrus/vanilla aftertaste.

M: Oily, medium carbonation and a light body.

D: Well, not my style at all. I like stouts were the chocolate tones comes naturally. It often takes brewers ages to get that refined taste. This is a quick shot and therefor highly unbalanced. Will not drink this again. For me adding huge amounts of chocoalte is the same as adding chemicals to beer.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales