Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

Ratings: 4,198 |  Reviews: 1,913
4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes...

Poured black (bar lighting makes this tough) with a 4 finger creamy head that left tons of lacing. The cap stayed throughout.
The nose was dominated by chocolate. I could have confused this for a spiked chocolate milkshake. Hints of roasted coffee also came through.
The taste picked up where the smell left off. Super chocolaty with hints of roasted coffee. The chocolate mixed with the smoothness of the malt makes you think you just took a sip of a milkshake or chocolate milk but before you know it the hops pop up to remind you this is a beer.
Super creamy mouthfeel makes this a great dessert beer. One is easy to down because it is so damn good but I got the feeling it was time to move on after it was gone.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Pours a dark amber brown color with a thick coffee colored foam head that leaves nice creamy lacing.

S- Roasted malty sweetness and tons of milk chocolate.

T- A huge rush of 'tootsie roll' chocolate flavors with lots of roasted sweetness.

M- Full bodied with ok carbonation.

D- One really easy drinking stout with a nice flavor.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Pitch black with a surprisingly big, brown head that settles into great looking lacings.

S: Basically just sweet chocolate mixed with distinct yet not overly powerful roasted malts. Some chocolate syrup, chocolate powder and a faint milky note. Not bad, but certainly not very complex.

T: Very distinct flavor of sweet chocolate from start to finish. The chocolate flavors aren't that luxurious though, they taste more like cheep dark chocolate, milk chocolate and chocolate syrup. Some dark toffee. Just a hint of dark fruits (plums?). Plenty of roasted malts, not very powerful though and they certainly are overshadowed by the chocolate. In the finish coffee flavors make a fairly good attempt at balancing the sweet chocolate flavors and gives the beer somewhat of a mochaccino edge to it. Some very gentle chocolate bitterness and mild grassy hops in the finish as well, and of course more chocolate. Unfortunately, the finish came out a bit short and boring to me, nothing really takes the lead and the taste just fades away too quickly.

M Medium body, actually thinner than I had expected. Quite a lot of carbonation. However, it seems like some time in the snifter serves this one well since it gets a little rounder and and the mouthfeel gets somewhat smoother after a while.

D: A good beer, but I don't think it managed to live up to my expectations. Indeed, there is a lot of sweet chocolate flavors going on here and that's the way it should be, but it would have been nice with a little more complexity and a bigger body. Still recommended, though.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

From a 22oz. bomber.

A - Beautiful oily black liquid with a dense 1.25 in tan head with some scattered big bubbles. Retetnion is spectacular. Very appealing beer. Lacing sticks to the glass like glue.

S - Chocolate cake, really rich chocolate cake with some hints of warm alcohol and roasted malts. No discernible hops in the nose. I cant rave enoug about the smells its somehting to experience. Some hop bitterness and dryness at the end but only there. It starts with roasted malts and a coffee flavor that quickly evens out by chocolaty sweetness.

T - Some hints of roasted malts, some mild malty sweetness and mostly chocolate malts and chocolate bitterness. It reminds me of coffee with chocolate, some sort of mochaccino. Very delicious!

M - Very well cabroanted. good balance between sweet and dry bitterness. A little bit on teh watery side for me. Still very good though.

D - More than one might be a bit much. Still well balanced and smooth.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Rogue Chocolate Stout

Quick review - dark and heavy stout with all the flavor, body, and uniquness you could ask for.

Color - in the light of the bar, this stuff is dark as the night. I have a feeling it's still a dark, dark brown in the light of day. I re-poured it to get a glimpse of the head. ALL of the head. Light brown, leaving more lace than clean glass on the walls of my pint glass as the head dissipated to about 1/4".

Smell - a roastedness that makes me think of faded coffee with some fruit behind it (wtf?). I am expecting chocolate, but what I smell isn't the chocolate I'm expecting. Maybe I'm thinking like hot chocolate/milk chocolate.

Taste - like nothing else. It's like a rather dry coffee with added cocoa powder and something with a bitter finish that complements the chocolate perfectly, but is likely the hops. I can't taste fruit discernably, but the smoke here has clogged my nose a bit. If I take a sip with some air, I get a bit of fruit with it: maybe cherry. Cherry would be fitting.

Mouthfeel - this beer is surprisingly light in the mouth. I'd call it a medium thick at best, but I'd expect molten chocolate by the looks. A swish in the mouth lightens it up a lot, not sure if it's th CO2 or the alcohol.

Sessionable? Maybe if you're sasquatch.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a very, very dark brown and the tannish head looked good and the chocolate smell was awesome. Taste was roasted malts and hersheys chocolate upfront, beginning to end. Mouthfeel is amazing, cocoa, roastiness and a slight coffee hint but very minimal. I can drink this all day long.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared at a homebrew club meeting.

A - Poured black with a 2 fingered mocha head, which dissipated slow and left nice lacing.

S - Light roasted coffee, tons of chocolate, and a light flowery bouquet.

T - Heavy doses of chocolate, light roasted coffee, light smoke, and bttering hops.

M - Finished full-bodied, with a dry and slightly bitter aftertaste.

D - Overall great. I didn't enjoy this as much as others and would recommend using less patent. A little goes a long way.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

pours black with big pillowy 2+ finger tan head that leaves lacing all down the glass

smells like chocolate chocolate chocolate

taste is bitter chocolate and bitter hops - with a ashy bitter finish

moutfeel is kind of what kills this beer as being a great beer - it too carbonated - stouts should be smooth and creamy

drinkability is alright - its a solid stout @ 6% abv but i have had much better porters

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

a - Big brown head hangs around for a while and provides great lacing. Deep brown body is impenetrable by light.

s - Chocolate, oats, dark malts and even hops. Toasty rather than roasty, really inviting and complex.

t - Lots of chocolate but the dark malts are not washed out. Hops are very present throughout. A bit like a little powdered hot chocolate mix was added to a nice hoppy oatmeal stout.

m/d - Spot on for the style, slightly sticky but still easily drinkable on a cool summer evening. Extremely drinkable, very tasty and lowish ABV make this sessionable.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours exceptionally dark brown (not quite black) from the 22 oz. bomber. Tan head, which persists around the rim indefinitely. What sets the beer's appearance apart is its extreme opaqueness.

It smells like chocolate. Not even like chocolate notes (which is what I normally mean by the term). It actually smells like a melted bar of chocolate. It makes me worry about the beer, but it's decidedly beer-like in the taste, with some complexity. Tastes like roasted grains, but has a bittersweet chocolate taste that persists well after each sip. It's smooth, creamy.

I expected a sweeter drink when I bought it, but I'm not disappointed by this brew. Drinkable, although too much would be filling.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle Pours a nice black with a lasting tan head. The head is creamy and lasting. Produces decent lacing. Has a good aroma of chocolate. Smells like a tootsie roll. It is cool. Has a good carbonation. A wonderful outhfeel. The flavor is robustly chocolate. Well balanced and fresh. Has a thicker body. A real good finish and a nice aftertaste. This is a sweet drinking beer. Maybe not for everyone but very good. I like it a lot.

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this tonight.

A: I was outside with it right after the poor and I swear it gave off a purplish tint on the bottom of my pint glass. Maybe it was the sun going down, I don't know. It was very impressive though. It pours a dark dark brown with a thick brown head that went down after a few minutes. It kept nice lacing down the glass as I went along.

S: This smells absolutely awesome! Rich chocolaty smell. I love it!

T: This didn't taste at all like what I had expected. I thought it would be fairly sweet but you can definitely taste the stout up front. Quite a bit of bitterness to it. It leaves you with a dark chocolate flavor though, especially after taking a few deep breaths.

D: This isn't one I could drink a lot of but I'm going to remember this as an after dinner treat every now and again that I can split with the wife.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In honor of my 1 year anniversary as a BA member, I decided to "celebrate" with a bomber of Chocolate stout. Here goes!

Pours a thick deep black with a wicked huge tan head on top. 10 minutes later, still there. Great retention. Beautiful lacing rings all over the glass. Nice historical reference of my sipping. Smells of powdered chocolate, cream, and more chocolate.

Mouthfeel is creamy, but a little on the spritzy side as well. This is the weakest aspect of this beer. Big chocolatey flavor all over this! They weren't kidding on the chocolate thing, were they? There's a touch of hop bitterness mixed in the middle, but the finish is the most pleasant mild cocoa flavor I've experienced. Wonderful. Wow. Why did I wait so long to pick this one up? This will be a regular dessert, celebration beer in the household from here on out...

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

22oz bomber poured into an oversized wine glass.

A: Black. Poured a thin coffee-colored head that faded quickly. I suspect I need a more aggressive pour. Minimal lacing, but produces nice-looking fine bubbles whenever disturbed.

S: Chocolate all the way, but if you hold your mouth just right you can smell the hops behind it.

T: After the smell, I was surprised it didn't taste like chocolate. Instead, what I got was a strong hit of roasted oats and barley and then an upfront bitterness of (I assume) Cascade hops. But then, in the finish, and especially as I exhaled out my nose I got a long, heavy, dark chocolate. To be perfectly honest, I expected a very sweet beer, and that's not what I got. Except for a bit of the malt when you first take a sip, there's virtually no 'sweet' in this beer. This is a heavily hopped beer, with strong bitter flavors and maybe a bit of sour. Outstanding.

M: Medium-full, smooth, with good carbonation to keep it from being too chewy.

D: I don't know how much of this I could drink at once before wanting something lighter and crisper. But I can drink this whole bottle, easy.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Bomber poured into a pint glass.
Looks pitch black in the glass, but is actually dark brown with an enormous cocoa colored head. Relatively thick layers of foam stick to the sides of the glass.

Smells of chocolate of the richest variety. If you close your eyes with your nose in the glass, you might imagine yourself in a chocolate factory. The sweet chocolate notes play off of coffee to an appetizing effect.

Let's see how it tastes... not surprisingly, the chocolate flavor is huge and delicious, but it still doesn't completely dominate. Caramel and coffee make notable contributions as well. There is also crisp, bitterness for balance... maybe some floral hops flavors in there somewhere? This brew is medium-bodied and creamy.

Rogue's Chocolate Stout is easy to love and would be a good intro beer or intro stout for an inexperienced palate. I would never decline one of these.

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured it into an english pint, two finger brown head and deep brown, almost black, opaque body. No light passing, not even at the edges. The head doesn't exactly maintain, but the lace is there. Looks like a stout to me.

Hard to pinpoint anything but a chocolate aroma. Defined and very deep, maybe just a hint of charred malts.

Chocolate. Again, the taste is distinct. Bitterness on the back combines with the light carbonation. Not too much of a bother, perhaps there to break up the strength of the cocoa. Not great, just what I'd expect really. Though, I must say I should have chilled this much longer.

Thick and smooth. Carbonation helps things along, really, without this might be chocolate syrup.

Should be much tougher because of the thickness, but all in all, it's alright. Not unusually easy, but not bad for a stout that I'd expect to be this heavy.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Presentation: 22oz Bomber ingredients listed but no freshness date.

Appearance: Black with a coffee head.

Smell: Baking cocoa powder.

Taste and Mouth Feel: While it is full bodied, it is very smooth. Very chocolate in flavor, but it is an unsweetened baking powder chocolate that has a touch of bitterness. This brew is very dry and has almost no sweetness.

Notes: This beer was not what I was expecting, but what ever is. While the natural chocolate flavor shines through, I was not overly impressed with the brew. I will note that this brew did get better as it warmed up, and I may have just gotten a bottle that was old or not well shipped. I will have to try it a few more times, and then update.

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Draught at The Red in Santa Cruz. Black with a dense tan head. The aroma is super chocolate powered; leaning a little toward the dark side, but still milky and creamy. The flavor takes that and adds in a roasted bitterness that doesn't completely blend, but works out alright. The body is a little thin, but pretty smooth. This is a really nice smelling beer, with a pretty good flavor to back it up, but the chocolate and roasted malt don't seem to gel as well as they could

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

A dark brown beer with a creamy head that settles pretty quickly.

Smell of pure chocolate, some supporting dark malts, which add a light roastiness.

Taste is sweet and has strong unsweetened chocolate flavors. Supported by a medium sweet malty body, the chocolate is flattened out and fits the beer. The chocolate flavor has some artificial edges but I get used to that. Some mild roasted malts are present, but it never gets sharp or burned. There is a sweet malt base, but the body is a bit thin.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Started drinking Rogue Ale Brewery beers over 10 years ago while living on the West Coast. When I moved back East, I kind of forgot about their delicious brews.

I was happy to see bombers of the Chocolate Stout in my local beer store.

A- Poured down the middle of a pint glass. Gigantic head, beautiful dark brown.

S- Warm Chocolate, but not too much. Just right.

T- Like a rich, velvety mocha,coffee feel.

M-Smooth, a little thick with perfect carbonation.

D- Started it before dinner and finished the bottle with my steak. I could have had another bottle for dessert. Wonderful.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

New to reviews,and how to review.
I have been drinking micros all my life,well didn't have micros when I started drinking the better beers.
I started with Heineken dark way back in the early 70's,I liked beer but not the regular crap
the other younsters drank.My girl friend and I would sit on the sidewalk outside her house and drink a few Heineken darks on the weekends,her parents never knew.

Then not long afterwards I found a much better brew,Guinness extra stout,wow so much better than Heineken dark.My friends would get angry when I showed up at a party with Guinness,more beer for me.

Now this evening so many years later,I picked up my first Rogue. Rogue chocolate stout,just have one thing to say about this brew,Dark Chocolate Dreams!I love it

4.82/5  rDev +15%

This is an awsome stout. Worth the price.

A-Totally black. Brown head, opaque. Thick head.

S- milk chocolate. roasted malts. sweet.

T- milk chocolate. coffee. espresso.

M- thick, coats the mouth, heavy.

D- pretty easy, deff not hard.

rogue is an great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a wonderous dark brown, almost black with a nice flluffy and full brown-white head that sticks about for the whole glass.

Smell of chocolate and roasted malt. I agree that there is something a little "dairy" like in the smell too.

tastes of roasted chocolate malt at first and then full bodied chocolate. Imagine drinking an alcoholic hot chocolate that has CO2 in it!

Full mouthfeel, like a liquid meal

Drank the 22ozer fine, but that was all you could hope for.

Overall a very nice, chocolatey, not too sweet, offering. Great Chocolate Stout

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a dark ebony with a fluffy tan head. Nose of chocolate/cocoa powder and some toasted malt. Taste was bitter, similar to 90% dark chocolate. I was hoping for a thicker mouthfeel and more depth, but it didn't deliver. Drinkability is good, but you have to pick the right time of year for it.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Black with a sightly-browned creamy head.

S: Lots of chocolate going on and definitely some milk characteristics as well.

T: Lots of chocolate flavor, and nothing artificial--this tastes like real chocolate. The flavor isn't overly sweet, and has a nice balance.

M: Fairly-full bodied and somewhat dry. Quite nice.

D: Good toward the beginning, although a full bomber is definitely a little too much given the character of this beer. Definitely suggest splitting this one amongst two or three others!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales