Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,191 |  Reviews: 1,910
4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

A: One of the most impressive features of the chocolate stout was the thick and long lasting head. It produced a head close to an inch think that stuck around for a good portion of the drink. I was surprised to see how dark and think looking this beer was, even when raised to light i couldn't see through it at all.

S: Roasted scents galore! the scent of roasted chocolate was a perfect indicator of what was to be enjoyed. A friend across the table told me i smelled like roasted chocolate!

T: Somehow tasted even better than it smelled. A very impressive taste of chocolate, roasted oats and barley the just the right amount of bitterness. The great taste keeps you enjoying every sip of this stout.

M: The only let down of the beer was that it wasn't as thick as i prefer, but that's just me, I'm sure many would find its thickness appropriate though. A smooth beer that allows for casual drinking.

D: A great stout that I look forward to buying again. I would have no problem having a couple of these tasty treats. This is my favorite Rogue beer to date, however I'm yet to try the Shakespeare Stout which i hear is just as impressive.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Why wait? Have a Rogue Chocolate Stout.
Melts in your mouth, not in your hands.
Well, I will try to keep the use of the word chocolate below one hundred for this review.

The bottle is a standard bomber that can be picked up anywhere in your local liquor store.

The pour for this drink was really good and dark, not as thick as I had wanted it to be though. It came out smooth and the head that developed was thick. Three fingers thick, which is good. Why is it good? Because with that much carbonation, the smell lets loose.

The smell is strong. So strong that one could smell this from about three feet away. The chocolate aroma makes me salivate right away, thinking about sweetness.

The first sip was very pleasing to the nose and mouth. The head retention of this beer is amazing. I poured it to three fingers and it stayed consistently at a finger. The taste is really sweet, and I will even say light. I lean more towards the imperial stouts, but this one as a dessert beer is really good. I feel like they could of pushed more alcohol into it and it would increase the taste. Either way, incredibly delightful.

When drinking this beer I felt like I needed more. I personally have a sweet tooth and this beer satisfied my craving for sweets, but made me wanting more. I do feel like if I drank too many of these beers I would have a stomachache, the same one you would have with too much candy. Either way I am going to buy more of these when I can and I will enjoy every single one. Good Brew!

4.82/5  rDev +15%

This is just like having a little taste of heaven in your mouth. Very sweet but not nauseatingly so, with a nice alcohol background to ground it back into reality. So smooth and delightful that I want to drink this thing like it's delicious chocolate milk!

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Chocolatey, dry and chalky. Some hints of complexity, but never really opened up to reveal more than the mocha/chocolate notes. Bitter on the finish, but clean. Very nice with something sweet. I would not describe the taste as thin, but certainly one-dimensional. It may be decent for what it is, but I do not feel the need to return.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Wow what a surprise to try this Chocolate craft ale! It is quite similar to some interesting desert ales that I tried in Prague once.
a - dark with nice foam
s- here is where you get salivating. It is quite a chocolaty aroma.
t- bold, flavourful and rich
a- leaves you with a nice feeling afterward.

This would be something you would serve at the end of the night after dinner. I probably would serve this to newbies on holiday events.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Pitch black, 3 finger creamy caramel foamed head that dies down quickly to a thin layer. Really nice lacing on the side, looks pretty sticky.

Not very complex, very creamy and chocolatey. Some sweet, dark, and bitter scents rise from the glass. Slight caramels and even slighter coffee.

Not as creamy as led to believe, but all the chocolates are there: milk, dark, bitter. Some coffee on the tale matched with bitter chocolate and to a decent dryness. Not much complexity, but exactly what the name leads to believe, chocolate. A little thinner then I was hoping for. Rich, roasted malts at the end as well.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Served in a pint glass via 22 oz bomber; gift from @bgramer

Appearance: Nice, thick black pour, toasty head.

Smell: Heady milk chocolate aroma

Taste: Bitter chocolate and coffee, strong tart aftertaste lingered in the roof of my mouth. Beer holds true to it's name, tons of chocolate - similar to a piece of whopper candy. This beer really came alive when paired with truffles. Yum.

Mouthfeel: Big mouthful of chocolate and malt.

Drinkability: Nice, drinkable beer. Can't see drinking more than a few, but very tasty.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter with some left over for my wife. It pours an opaque dark brown, almost black. A 1 inch tan head forms that reduces to a nice lacing.

The nose is primarily chocolate with some light hints of malt.

The taste was a nice blend of chocolate and oats, as well as a lingering coffee taste. There is a nominal bitterness that complements the dominating chocolate flavor as the beer warms up.

The mouthfeel was quite good also, although given the strength flavors, it seems like it could have had a heavier body. The carbonation was reasonably good.

The overall drinkability is quite good also. I think it could have been a little better if it had been just a bit fuller in the body and flavor, but overall a great beer and I'm glad I've got more of it on supply.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

bought a bomber. i really love the bottles and artwork that rogue puts out. it poured really dark, looks great. nice dark tan head.

smells sweet! i get some dark malts, some chocolate notes.

tastes creamy, lots of chocolate... oaty, some malts.

good mouthfeel but average drinkability...

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a pint mug.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a thick, two-finger frothy tan head. The head lingered for most of the glass Left a lot of lacing.

Smell: Milk chocolate, with just hints of chocolate malt in the background to remind me that I am drinking a beer.

Taste: The bitterness of chocolate malt and coffee hits the tongue first, and as that fades, a smooth chocolate flavor lingers comes to the forefront. The chocolate lingers in the aftertaste for a long, long time. As the beer warms, the bitterness mellows, and the chocolate flavor dominates. There is a hop flavor evident that is almost swallowed up by the chocolate malt. There is a slight bitter aftertaste along with the chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Exactly what I would have expected for a chocolate beer. Could have used a little more carbonation, but that's nitpicking.

Drinkability: Too sweet and thick to have more than one, but I will definitely buy this again. It is one of, if not the, best chocolate beers I've had. An excellent substitute for a dessert.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Poured into a pink glass to show off a ebony darkness with a two finger brown head with tight buggles that held to a firm cap for more than half of the beer. Good creamy lacing and chunks on the cap.

S: The nose was a deep textured roasted malt, citrus hops and liquer bittersweet chocolate. The nose is deceptive of the power that lurks within this monster.

T: Your pallet meets the smoothes delivery of roasted malts and typical west cop Cascade hops. But this is slicker than snot a kids upper lip to be as raw as possigle. Your tounge is treated to explosions of flavor of chocolate and the smoothest creamest texture I can think of.

M: Quick thick as a milkshake in some senses, but not viscous and the carbonation is might strong throughout.

D: This is by far the best chocolate stout I have ever had. While there is imported chocolate as detailed on the bottle, the mixture of malts and hops with this is pure joy.

Rogue Chocolate Stout is a black ale with a foamy, light brown head that exhibits great retention. It has a strong roasted chocolate malt aroma. It is sweet, dark and a bit fruity. It is smooth and full bodied; soft with a snappy finish. It is a very full flavor: pretty sweet and quite bitter. It's like dark chocolate with a touch of citrus. The flavor is well balanced. This beer is almost like a liqueur. Damn. I can find no fault with this beer. I think it's the best beer I've ever had.
(rated May 22, 2008)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Rogue Chocolate Stout is one of the few top-notch readily available beers here in Mississippi. I guess I've taken this stuff for granted and I owe it a review.

Pours jet black with a nice 3/4" head that never dissipates.

Amazingly, this beer smells of chocolate. Yes, believe the other 1000+ reviews.

Delicious. I'm not pairing this with a dessert, this is dessert. I'm tasting dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and maybe even a little coffee bean on the long finish.

This is one very rich and filling stout. One bottle is just right.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a great dark black color with a nice brown head. Disappeared after a quick minute to show some really decent lacing

Deffinatly chocolatey. Dark chocolate with some coco mixed with some lucious dark malts.

Very Malty. And greatly balanced with the taste of dark chocolate. Smooth chocolate aftertaste.

This brew is so smooth and chocolatey I could see myself putting back a few of these

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Mostly black color with a creamy light brown head that fades surprisingly quick to a nice collar and sheen.

Mmmmm, chocolate. Impressively, I get milk chocolate, dark chocolate and cocoa powder out of here. Maybe a smattering of dark fruit and hops, but not much.

Hops are much more discernable in the taste, definitely west coasty. Chocolate takes on more dark unsweetened and cocoa characteristics and the dark fruits come out to play a bit more on the palate. Much more complex than I remember this one tasting, or even smelling for that matter. Just enough variety to keep it interesting all the way through a bomber and not too full or over the top to make it tough sledding.

A finely crafted ale, for sure.

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours black with a decent, thick brown head. Aroma is bittersweet chocolate, cream, caramel, and just a little cigarette smoke. Creamy mouthfeel. Blended taste of chocolate, caramel malts, and oatmeal. Some vanilla cream. The cascade hops give it a sharp finish. Somewhat watery for the style. Very nice.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of chocolate (reminds me of chocolate-flavored jello). Flavor is sweet and chocolatey but sort of artificially chocolately. A pretty good chocolate stout although on the slightly too sweet side. Enjoyable.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
3.5/5

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

Dark brown pour with a solid tan head. Aroma roasted malt, mocha, slight coffee. Tastes similarly. Not too much chocolate, not too much stout. A great take on the style, with the hop character being the difference making it a Rogue. Great finish/aftertaste.

Bottle and Tap

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

pour is opaque... massive head that recedes downward. chocolate colored head. nose is malt and chocolate. taste is similar to the expedition stout, bit more sour. nice chocolate... not superfluous. nice lace, lightly sticky. great feel. accompanied with a solid bitter. not chalky which makes the excessive chocolate gentle. good. no alcohol detected.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Well after seeing all the hype surrounding this beer, I finally got a chance to try it. I was less than satisfied with Young's Double Chocolate Stout(too bitter, not enough chocolate) and I wanted a chocolate beer that would redeem this chocolate goodness quality I want in a beer.

It was damn good and well worth seeking out. Perfect amount of chocolate, slight roasty bitterness, but more than acceptable. Very nice chocolate smell and flavor. Surprisingly easy to drink, just a very nice experience overall. Rogue might be a little more expensive as bombers go, but this one is definitely worth a shot if you want your beer a little sweeter on a cold night.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Cellared for the better part of three years, I will serve this in an Imperial pint glass at just over fridge temperature. 22oz. bomber, no freshness date.

Apperance- Deep chocolate brown, almost black color. The foamy head rises almost four fingers tall, medium tan with plenty of substance. The bubbles pop and fade away slowly, leaving craters that eventually fill in. No lacing, which surprises me.

Smell- Sweet decadence... the aroma is of the highest quality imported chocolate, so rich and massive. Creamy enough of a nose to smell like a good milkshake.

Taste- Absolutely stunning presentation on the palate... there is nothing that could possibly be improved here. The entry is dry and rich, sweet yet bitter. It is so mouth-filling in its character, the entire tongue is captivated by nuances of sweet, gourmet chocolatey goodness and bitter, dark notes that dry the mouth in anticipation of the next sip. The most rewarding and impressive phase for me is the swallow, which allows all ingredients to open up completely and showcase their perfect balance, and complex flavors. Never in a million years could I have been prepared for such an incredibly satisfying beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I love the subtle coarseness of the mouthfeel, as it provokes the sweet and bitter attributes to work with each other while adding texture. The most phenomenally delectable stout I can recall in ages... this is a true masterpiece, and should not be overlooked for the sheer reason of broad availability, as sometimes happens. Bravo.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark pour with a creamy tan head that fades away very slowly. Chocolate aroma with a hint of hops coffee and roasted malt. . Very good mouthfeel and very smooth going down. I got the chocolate taste throughout the beer. The finish was deep smoky chocolate but very subtle. Will drink again and again

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Deep Dark body, thick frothy mocha/tan head that provides a veil of lace all the way down the glass, undetectable carbonation. Gorgeous for a dark bodied beer.

S - Bitter coffee notes, slight piney hops, thick milk chocolate, roasted notes. No wonder it tops the list of BA's Stouts.

T - Cocoa bitterness, slight hops, some medium roast coffee and somewhat of an oat or grain. I think the hoppy bitterness is the only thing that detracts from the stout qualities.

M - Not near as thick as other full flavored stouts, a wonderful quality in a full flavored beer. Coats the tongue and leaves the cocoa and that hoppy taste behind.

D - I'd do it over again.. for free. Hell, I'd even pay money to do it over again. Wonderful brew, absolute favorite as of yet.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

A tasty beer with a wierd Martha Stewart looking lady on the label in classic Rogue posture.

Near black with a dark tan head.

Aroma, to no surprise, is dark chocolate and some roasty nut and malt and some sugary molassas or brown sugar.

Taste lives up to the aroma, dead on. Bit of fruitiness and alchol esters, but mild. I'm not sure if it exists, but an imperial (higher abv) version of this should be made. Some espresso flavors in there too.

Gotta be in the right mood/mindset/weather for a chocolate stout, but when the mood hits, it will satisfy.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Been drinking this for a while, it was one of my first Rogues, but this is the first time I have had it on tap and fitting enough it was at the Rogue brewery in Newport.

A- Very dark brown closer to black than brown, 1 1/2 finger thick creamy brown head, lacing all the way down the glass showing every drink I took

S- Huge chocolate smell, a roasted coffee bean aroma this beer smells delicious.

T- Pretty much taste like it smells but 10 fold. Huge chocolate taste up from with a little roasted coffee bitterness in the end.

M- Thick and creamy, heavy bodied for sure

D- A little thick for something like a session beer but I could definitely have more than 1 in a sitting.

I drank around 40 different beers while I was in Portland and Newport and after The Abyss on tap this was my second favorite beer I drank.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales