Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,206 |  Reviews: 1,914
3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

Bomber. Pours a very black color, moderate tan head that doesn't last long. Chocolate, malty aroma, although not all that strong. The flavor is pretty nice with dark chocolate right away with subtle malts and bitter hop notes following. This seems more like a dessert. Hell, maybe it can be. I can't drink too many of these chocolate beers though. A simple 12 ounce would have been fine.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured out of a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass a thick, dirty brown with a stern mocha head that settled in like a champ. All I can think of is chocolate malted shakes from the aromas released from this manly head, which maintained its frothiness and left a nice amount of sweet lacing on the side of the glass. The taste is superb- not overly roasted, bitter notes, but a brilliant cocoa sweetness and a crisp finish that makes me want more....and more. Highly drinkable- one of the few stouts I could use as a session but with most likely debaucherous results.

The first time I had this was on cask at the Rogue Ale House in North Beach and I enjoyed it, but something about the effervescence of the bottled version increases my enjoyment. Definitely up there with Young's Double Chocolate. Maybe even a trump of it.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz to tulip glass, pours a deep dark opaque blackish brown, creamy brown head retains nicely then fades

smells of roasty chocolate bitterness, oats, slight hops, nice chocolate scent

taste is roasty bitter hops blending with smooth chocolate malts and chocolate, niiice - reminds me of a lesser version of southern tier's choklat but hopped heavier, nice smoothness from the oats, easy drinking, loads of flavor - excellent!

mouthfeel is bitterly creamy, oat-y smoothness, and very very chocolatey - a great stout from rogue, would love to get 6 packs of this instead of bombers but quality comes at a price, very nice

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

22 oz bomber, undated

A - Pours dark as night in color - light color bleed through on the edges. carbonation is present heavily through the strong head, which dissipates into a light film.

S - chocolate all the way. What did I expect? Perhaps some roasted off notes are hiding behind there - very subtle.

T - Starts off with a strong dark chocolate flavor - very robust. Goes to a bittering mid-taste that complements the first hit nicely. Finishes with what I would say is more of a dark cocoa flavor that seems very unsweetened. After a few more drinks, I find that the "chocolate bomb" has mellowed in my mind to a much more even kiel balance.

M - Thick and creamy - certainly solid in body. Not a bit of carbonation bite that I would associate with the appearance.

D - Sitting heavy on my stomach, which would indicate the strong body is filling me up. Nonetheless, I find it easy to drink. The lower ABV by style also is a bonus here.

Glad I finally tried this one.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Jet black and viscuous... a creamy, and slightly foamy head - light golden brown.

S: A rich cocolate aroma, over a roasted malt scent. Some soft coffee aromas subtly mixed into things. Very nice.

T: Closer to baker's chocolate, with unsweetened notes of bitterness. Maltiness and a hint of hoppiness for balance.

M: Quite a sharp and assertive carbonation into a slightly thinner mouthfeel. More creaminess would be great, and it could be excellent on cask.

D: Not cloying, which is a big plus for a beer with such added flavours - at least in this style. With some more body, it would be an even better evening sipper.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A: Extremely dark brown but not black, with a huge creamy brown fluffy head that lasts and laces

S: Smell of immense chocolate! Tons of chocolate malt and Hershey syrup.

T: Taste is so chocolaty and sweet! Also a tad bitterness from black malt that goes so well with the chocolate sweetness! A mild hop finish, but nothing exceptional

Overall, a great dessert beer that is worth drinking!

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer pours a very rich black. The scent is undoubtedly of chocolate and chocolate malt. For some reason, this time around the beer tasted a little harsher than I recall. This might be due to the fact that I was previously drinking hazelnut brown which is so very smooth itself. At the very least, it has solid stout flavor, and also has the benefit of being another one of those few beers with chocolate that actually tastes like chocolate, but without tasting artificial or detracting from the actual beer flavor.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 oz. bottle with a retro graphic. I didn't prefer the dark red and beige color scheme, but after tasting the beer the bottle seemed to fit the taste. The bottlecap was pragmatic, although one of the nicer I have seen and definitely better than Flying Fish's white-on-red flying fish logo.

Appearance: Hard pour into a pint glass, this beer had a 1.5 inch think tan-colored head and I still had beer left to pour! It was as black as I have ever seen a beer; I actually held it up to a light and it still was black. Looked like a delicious glass of spent motor oil.

Aroma: Smelled mostly of chocolate, but I could detect some roasted coffee and even a little bit of hops and a lot of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Thick, warm, slick, velvety. This is a heavy, heavy beer and I loved it. There is a perfect amount of carbonation to slice through the heavy feel and break it up a little bit.

Taste: Chocolate, mocha, a little sweet caramel, and finishes with bitter dark chocolate taste and a tinge of hops. For the beginning, I felt like I was drinking chocolate pudding; the end brought me back to reality as I tasted the more bitter finish. The hops definitely keep the chocolate taste from being overwhelming.

This is the best beer I have had in quite a while. I highly recommend it.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Got this on tap at Stout's Irish Pub in Atlanta.

The glass was opaque black with a light brown head. It looks delicious. Lacing sticks around but isn't that sticky.

The smell is great - smells like someone just opened a dark chocolate bar. There's also the slightest amount of coffee.

The taste is also very good. It's mostly chocolate, with a bit of coffee taste that diminishes as the beer warms. There's some hop bitterness near the end which I also like.

The mouthfeel is absurdly smooth and creamy. The carbonation is just enough to release the flavors. Really great.

This beer is very drinkable. Everything about the beer is awesome, I docked half a point just because the chocolate taste could be overpowering after a while.

Definitely recommend this beer. Nothing else I can really say.

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - What a marvelous looking beer in the glass! This thing just looks like a chocolate bomb! Dark black in color with a dark tan, almost brown hefty head. Layer of tan creaminess is left on top after the head vanishes.

Smell - Creamy and smooth with an overwhelming presence of chocolate. It's a bitter smelling bakers chocolate in this one if I had to guess.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Takes the smell and kicks it up a notch. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth. Meadium body but nothing too harsh. I can't get over how smooth this is. Creamy as hell with a huge bitter bakers chocolate that tko's the tastebuds. Finish is very bitter and somewhat powdery. A coffee note comes in just a bit in the aftertaste.

Drinkability - Would I have another one of these? YES, and another, and another, and another. This is one mean ass beer to throw down as a dessert itself. Pair it up with something, anything, and don't share. You'll want it all just for yourself.

4.44/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour produced a jet-black beer with a dense and frothy brown head. The aroma was strong and extremely complex: Dark chocolate was the most obvious, and so assertive it made my mouth water a little for want of a Hershey's bar. I also detected roasted grains and some "earthiness" that was in the background, perhaps some other character lent by the chocolate. Subtle hints of alcohol rounded out the aroma.

The roasted grains and chocolate flavors complement eachother perfectly. Roasted barley creeps up in the aftertaste and stays there. This beer is also rather bitter, both from the hops and the dark grains. Substantial fruitiness appears as the beer warms up. I detected a little bit of oxidation but it doesn't harm the overall impression. Just a little too carbonated for my tastes. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. The silkiness on my tongue makes me believe this beer was brewed with oats.

Final impression: An outstanding beer! I really loved how the character changed as the beer went from fridge to near-room temperatures. I must always have a few bottles of this stuff around.

3.86/5  rDev -7%

Split this bomber with the wife after an unusually short debate on what of our pile of beers to drink.

Pours black & smells like a, a...Tootsie Roll. Seriously. I thought about it during the entire glass. Every time my nose went anywhere near the rim thoughts of those little black logs went dancing through my head. Not much head, but a meager swirl brings it, & the massive smell, right back to the hop.

Tastes like Tootsie Pops soaked in hops. An expected bunch of sweet cocoa up front, an unexpected hop bite in the back, & bits of burnt matter flaking along the sides.

This beer is smooth, silkly, & the cocoa comes on stronger with each sip. The alcohol warmth only becomes noticeable about halfway through the glass. Drinkability is low, this is one of those stouts that's heavy & filling.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio. Poured from a 24 oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

A - Poured pitch black with a perfect creamy tan head. Plenty of lacing.

S - Dominated by roasted malts and dark chocolate, as expected.

T - Again, dominated by roasted malts and dark chocolate. Make that LOTS of dark chocolate! A small touch of hop bitterness came through in the finish.

M - Full-bodied, thick and wet on the palate. It left a slight aftertaste of dark chocolate, which I'm definitely not complaining about!

D - This is an amazing stout, and I'll definitely be having it again.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Paid $5.49 for a bomber from BevMo in Gilroy, CA. Poured into a pint glass with 2 pours.

Inch and a half of a dark tan head that is moderately frothy. Superb head retention. Very dark brown, nearing black. Thick dark tan lacing that lasts.

Smells very strong of roasted malts and dark chocolate. More like a sweet and tasty dessert than a beer :)

At first, it doesn't have as strong of a taste as I was expecting. Actually just a mild flavor similar to how it smells. Aftertaste of dark chocolate. After drinking more of it and letting her warm up, the deeper more robust flavors start to come out.

One of the lightest bodied and easiest drinking stouts I've had. Lightly carbonated. An almost watery drink and finish. If I had to pick something to be improved upon, it would have to be the mouthfeel; maybe a little creamier finish.

Highly recommended. Nothing too crazy going on, but they have damn near perfected your classic American Chocolate Stout.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

P- a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours a black coffee color with little to no light penetration. Creamy tan colored head holds long and lacing lasts through the end.

S- roasted barley, molasses, sweet dark chocolate.

T- well balanced roasted grains, dark chocolates and coffee, and a mild finish of hops.

M- creamy medium body that is moderately carbonated.

D- a great stout overall.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a brown bomber into a tulip glass.
The head is out of this world, big!
4 finger brown fluffy and thick. The lace is gynormous, thick and sticky.
This beer is black, no transparency, no edge glow, just black.

Smell upfront is powdered cocoa, reminds me of nestle quick chocolate milk powder.
There is a couple distinguishable chocolate scents in this, the real cocoa powder, and the malty chocolate grain.
Very cool..
Some sweatness in the smell, a milky cream like smell too.

This is good! Big sweet chocolate upfront, then a chocolate grain bitterness, some carbonation zing on the tounge. More chocolate. At the swallow a spiced cocoa, bitter bakers chocolate, some dry bittering lingers.
Thick and creamy, this beer is like a milkshake.

Highly recommend, this was alot better then I expected.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

22-ounce bomber poured into a snifter yields a dark chestnut body with a thick lid of fine-bubbled mocha foam that looks more like bread dough than bubbles. The creamy foam retains at a broken sheet that leaves plenty of webby lacing on the glass.

Smell is chocolatey, toasty and wonderful with a dose of fruity hops.

Taste is smoky bittersweet chocolate with blast of tangy, bitter hops and a sugary snap of unsweetened Hershey's syrup. A dry, powdery alkaline cocoa flavor is accented with notes of dark, high-cacao chocolate and a firm, charred bit of roasted barley. Oats add silkiness and an earthy, gritty, hearty heft to the drink. A winey note of French Roast coffee shines amidst the superb semi-sweetness.

Super good, smooth, and very drinkable despite the excess of chocolatey goodness.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Beautiful dark brown color and nice smell. A remarkable beer. I have never had a chocolate stout or porter that resonated with so much chocolate. Extremely drinkable and pleasant although I can see some "traditionalists" potentially turning their nose up at its distinct flavor. I could give this no grade other than an A on my scale and there aren't many beers I can say that about. Anything I say won't do it justice.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

My 1st Rogue, here we go...

A - Poured into a pint glass very dark chocolate brown. Nice 1 finger tan head that lingers and leave a thick lace.

S - CHOCOLATE!! I'm excited...

T - Wow. Even the girl who hates strong brews likes this one. Chocolate up front, nice hoppy bitterness on the end, and just enough alcohol @ 6%.

M - Thick and rich,very hearty.

D - Well, I'm now a Chocolate Stout fan...

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Poured a very dark brown color with a light brown head that leaves lacing

S - Is of nice roasted malt with lots fudge chocolate scents

T - The roasted malt comes out more in the taste with along with the chocolate goodness

M - This is a creamy smooth beer but the carbonation is a little more than I like in a stout

D - This is a very good beer looks everything about it is very good its very easy to drink it would be a very good dessert beer worth trying sometime

4.15/5  rDev 0%

O.K., lets just start by getting a couple of the cliché's out of the way, since they are so appropriate. The Color is of dark chocolate, very dark brown but not quite black. A light brown sticky creamy head forms atop the beer and sticks around for a short time. Afterwards a sticky light brown ring remains around the edge of the glass. This ring contributes to some lacing as the beer is consumed.

The aroma is of cocoa powder, fresh baked brownies and roasted goodness.

The taste is wonderful and begins as unsweetened chocolate then adds a very subtle fruitiness. After this the taste begins to fade and you are left with a roasted, chocolate bitterness. I am a huge chocolate fan, so I like this. It really reminds me of unsweetened baking chocolate, which I can never resist trying when I bake. It also has the dry almost astringent finish that comes with unsweetened chocolate.

The mouth feel is actually lighter than I had expected and a bit less than I would prefer. I'd like this to feel as big as it tastes.

Drinkability is quite nice and this is one that needs to be served at cellar temperature to really be enjoyed. As I slowly enjoyed this, I really noticed more flavors popping up as the beer warmed slightly.

This is a really nice stout, but I have to admit that I prefer Young's Double Chocolate Stout which combines that great flavor with a more appropriate/creamy mouth feel.

Having said that, you should also be sure not to miss this beer.

I am becoming a big Rogue fan!

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: It's very dark brown, almost black in color. The body is quite opaque with a few streams of tiny bubbles that are only visible near the sides of the glass. The head is thick and pillowy with excellent retention. It has a dark tan color and it leaves behind cool tan lace that slowly slides down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a pleasant blend of dark and milk chocolate with doughy sweetbread malt.

Taste/Mouth feel: The flavor has a wonderful balance with a mild, subtle malt base with semi sweet chocolate and some roasted flavors that turns more bitter sweet and dark chocolaty as the hops add a mild bitterness. The palate is smooth and mellow with a medium body that gets thinner and drier in the finish. Carbonation is active yet still smooth.

Notes: Over all this has an easy drinking character with nicely balanced flavors that work well and complement each other wonderfully.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a pitch black brew that lets not a hint of light through. Huge, frothy, dark tan/brown head that retains with a deathgrip on the side of the pint glass. Smells of Hershey's chocolate syrup, sweet chocolate, lactose, roasty malts. Splendid. Taste is more sweet, roasty malty flavors balanced by the nice chocolate touches and a nice hop finish. Very well rounded. Mouthfeel is extremely velvety and thick, yet airy. Perfect amount of carbonation and finishes dry with help from the hops. Very drinkable, this tremendous beer is.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I had this one at The Grape Escape in downtown Galena.

A - Obsidian black and as thick as Satan's snot. This is pure black evil in the glass.

S - Deep milk and dark chocolates, along with some really powerful hop notes. This smells like chocolate of the highest quality, not the Count Chocula artificial notes that I smell in some chocolate beers. This is like Belgian chocolate goodies.

T - Chocolate and hops marry to make a nearly flawless flavor. This is outstanding.

M - Thick and full bodied with a nice hop tightness and a slightly dry finish that clears up all of the residual sugars.

D - Excellent! This is some good stuff.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

22oz bomber from Ron's in Farmington. Pours an opaque black body with an inch of tan head. Smells roasty with strong cocoa notes. Tastes very roasty with some grassy hops and strong cocoa notes, especially toward the finish. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. A superb stout in every way. Super tasty with just the right balance of flavors. A new favorite!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales