Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,198 |  Reviews: 1,913

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank this from a 22 oz bomber, poured into a tulip glass. Pours a thick, opaque black - no light getting through. Big, reddish-brown head. Great retention - lots of lacing. Smell is dominated by a sweet, dark chocolate. Hints of toasted grain, too. Tastes of the chocolate, too. Little bit of bitterness, like dark chocolate or roasted coffee. Good balance between the sweet and bitter of the tastes. Medium mouthfeel - perfect for this type of stout, although I wouldn't mind it being thicker. Overall, a wonderfully drinkable stout. Nice use of the chocolate without being too one-dimensional. Another strong offering from Rogue.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

Wow what a great lookin beer, black as the night with a chocolate colored head. Lots of lacing and the head stays for a while (shared with my friend, his pour's head was a lot less though and left quicker)

smells like a dark chocolate and hops. Very sweet and appealing.
It taste's amazing. Very balanced with mostly dark chocolate and coffee notes. There's also a slight bitterness and alcohol in the finish (but it compliments it very well).

mouthfeel is nice but not as thick as I thought it might be considering it's a very dark stout.
I couldn't drink too much of this mostly considering the price. However, if it was free i'd drink it all day long.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark black color with a medium-sized, beautifully tan-brown (chocolate-milk colored?) head that quickly disappears, leaving nice lace on my goblet.

The scent is of sweet, malty chocolate milk, with perhaps a hint of caramel as well (this scent got stronger as the beer warmed).

The initial taste is of bitter chocolate at the front, followed by burnt malts and a burnt, creamy, slightly hoppy aftertaste. After a few sips, I wasn't incredibly impressed - the chocolate was a bit more subtle than I expected. But as the beer warmed a bit, it got easier to drink, with the chocolate tastes devevloping even more and mixing wonderfully with the burnt, sludgy malts. The mouthfeel isn't overly thick, but enjoyable nevertheless.

I enjoyed my last few sips with a few hershey kisses lying around here - what a fantastic combination! Or maybe the taste developed because of the alcohol - I'm still not sure how much was in the bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

This was once one of my top stouts...times have changed over 10 years!

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter. Split with my wife (as this was part of her Valentine's Day present!). The aggressive pour yielded a large, 2 finger, milk chocolate colored head. Some lacing present as the foam dissipated. The body is solid and black. I tried to force light through...not happening.

The nose is what you would expect from a chocolate stout...lots of cocoa aromas dominate. You can also pick up some roasted malts and a subtle, milky-cream aroma.

The flavors are right in line with the nose. Lots of chocolate and roasted malts. Hints of bitter coffee toward the finish. Really good flavor, but everything is a little on the weak/subdued side...

The mouth feel is on the thinner side (especially for a stout), slightly watery and moderately carbonated.

This is very drinkable. Like I mentioned above...was one of my favorites before I developed a taste for bigger, stronger stouts. I will always keep this in my cooler though!

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

I have read so much about this beer that when I spied a 22 fl.oz. Bottle recently whilst out beer-shopping, it was immediately purchased without the merest thought.
It poured a lovely a deep black color. The head races up the glass as I poured the beer, forming a huge deep brown mass that looks like it belongs in Starbucks. I noted that intense chocolate aromas were already building up into quite a nose before the beer had even finished pouring. The frothy head soon settled to a thin creamy looking brown collar that laced well as it collapsed. Aromas are not surprisingly, of chocolate, but these smells are dominated by cocoa powder and cooking chocolate.
First tastes are overwhelmingly of chocolate – real chocolate – which is quite astounding, and this is what differentiates this Chocolate Stout from other “wannabes”. As the beer reaches its middle the chocolate is dark and strong and lingers. I was expecting this beer to be overtly sickly, it is not, it is not in fact sweet at all. Putting the chocolate tastes aside, the beer has quite a dry bitter finish which I like. Mouthfeel is silky, milky and smooth, it positively coats the mouth. Nicely put together, this is certainly no 10 cent Hershey Bar, but more of a hand-made dark Belgium chocolate.

I am not a huge chocolate fan, my own tastes are spicy rather than sweet, and I am not sure just how much of this I could drink to be honest.
One of the better Chocolate Stouts.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales