Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,207 |  Reviews: 1,914
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I grabbed this at State Line a couple of weeks back. This is the first beer I've had in about 4 days, thanks to a sickeningly awful cold, but hey, if I'm good enough to function, I'm good enough to drink, right?

Rogue was one of the first breweries I got into as a n00b, and their marketing did play a big part in my choices. In the past couple of years, apart from the infrequent glass at a bar, I haven't had too many beers from them, and I'm now going to attempt to work my way through their catalog.

Chocolate Stout pours, as expected, black with a very dark brown head with great retention and nice lacing. The nose is excellent in so many ways. Up front, I get some aggressive roasted malt character, almost bordering on a burnt grain aroma, but a brief swirl brings out a decadent blend of chocolate and oatmeal. That combination is so intense, it's almost like a cookie, and the moderate fruitiness further amplifies that comparison. The chocolate isn't particularly dark or intense, rather milk chocolate like, and has a sweetened cocoa character. Hops? absent for all intents and purposes. Excellent stuff.

The palate opens with an intense cocoa character, very Hershey's cocoa like with a noticeable undercurrent of sweetness. The level of cocoa here is pretty darned perfect, balancing beautifully the roasted malt character that comes through on the mid-palate. Not as fruity as the nose would suggest, though there's just a touch of raisin present here. The oatmeal does present a little smoothness on the mid-palate, but the carbonation does take away a little bit from that aspect. Sweetness is almost entirely cocoa-derived without a noticeable caramel or brown sugar component present. The finish is quite excellent with flavors of burnt grain, cocoa and a little sweetness. However, there's also just a touch of a nut-like bitterness present. The other aspects of the mouthfeel are excellent too. Medium in body with a rather smooth, silky feel, the carbonation is a little high for my liking. Drinkability is definitely up there, by keeping the sweetness and alcohol low, this is almost as drinkable as water. I've drunk half my bomber in about 10 minutes. Excellent stuff, I'd LOVE to try this on cask.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Drank this from a 22 oz bomber, poured into a tulip glass. Pours a thick, opaque black - no light getting through. Big, reddish-brown head. Great retention - lots of lacing. Smell is dominated by a sweet, dark chocolate. Hints of toasted grain, too. Tastes of the chocolate, too. Little bit of bitterness, like dark chocolate or roasted coffee. Good balance between the sweet and bitter of the tastes. Medium mouthfeel - perfect for this type of stout, although I wouldn't mind it being thicker. Overall, a wonderfully drinkable stout. Nice use of the chocolate without being too one-dimensional. Another strong offering from Rogue.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

Wow what a great lookin beer, black as the night with a chocolate colored head. Lots of lacing and the head stays for a while (shared with my friend, his pour's head was a lot less though and left quicker)

smells like a dark chocolate and hops. Very sweet and appealing.
It taste's amazing. Very balanced with mostly dark chocolate and coffee notes. There's also a slight bitterness and alcohol in the finish (but it compliments it very well).

mouthfeel is nice but not as thick as I thought it might be considering it's a very dark stout.
I couldn't drink too much of this mostly considering the price. However, if it was free i'd drink it all day long.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a dark black color with a medium-sized, beautifully tan-brown (chocolate-milk colored?) head that quickly disappears, leaving nice lace on my goblet.

The scent is of sweet, malty chocolate milk, with perhaps a hint of caramel as well (this scent got stronger as the beer warmed).

The initial taste is of bitter chocolate at the front, followed by burnt malts and a burnt, creamy, slightly hoppy aftertaste. After a few sips, I wasn't incredibly impressed - the chocolate was a bit more subtle than I expected. But as the beer warmed a bit, it got easier to drink, with the chocolate tastes devevloping even more and mixing wonderfully with the burnt, sludgy malts. The mouthfeel isn't overly thick, but enjoyable nevertheless.

I enjoyed my last few sips with a few hershey kisses lying around here - what a fantastic combination! Or maybe the taste developed because of the alcohol - I'm still not sure how much was in the bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This was once one of my top stouts...times have changed over 10 years!

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter. Split with my wife (as this was part of her Valentine's Day present!). The aggressive pour yielded a large, 2 finger, milk chocolate colored head. Some lacing present as the foam dissipated. The body is solid and black. I tried to force light through...not happening.

The nose is what you would expect from a chocolate stout...lots of cocoa aromas dominate. You can also pick up some roasted malts and a subtle, milky-cream aroma.

The flavors are right in line with the nose. Lots of chocolate and roasted malts. Hints of bitter coffee toward the finish. Really good flavor, but everything is a little on the weak/subdued side...

The mouth feel is on the thinner side (especially for a stout), slightly watery and moderately carbonated.

This is very drinkable. Like I mentioned above...was one of my favorites before I developed a taste for bigger, stronger stouts. I will always keep this in my cooler though!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales