Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Reviews: 1,906 | Ratings: 4,160
4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

This has long been one of my alltime favorites stouts. It's a breakfast beer. It's a dessert beer. It's chocolate. It's stout. It's fucking delicious.

I always use a chalice for this fine beer. It's beautiful - deep dark coffee color with a nice frothy cappuccino head, lace cascading throughout as I roll the glass about. The initial aroma is bittersweat chocolate followed by flavors of toast and roasted malt. The chocolate is in the forefront of taste too. What is truly remarkable about the taste is the high hop content. Hops are certainly not something that comes to mind when you think about a stout, no less a chocolate stout. Somehow the fine brewers of Rogue make this effortless and most importantly - truly delicious.

A phenomenal beer for any time.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance - Pours a near pitch black, with only the brightest of lights piercing through the edges to reveal a deep, dark brown. Head is a light coca, 3 fingers deep, and retention for days. Resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Chocolate is the first thing to catch your nostrils, with notes of roasted malt, faint toffee and a bit of bitterness.

Taste - Darkly roasted malts entwined with a varying array of chocolate layers, from milk to bittering baker's, and it all comes together and ends up tasting a bit like a tootsie roll in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body, which is light for a stout, but the light carbonation lends to a smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

Overall - By far the most complex, most satisfying chocolate stout I've ever had, and one of my all-time favorite beers. Everything about this beer is beautiful. If you're looking for sweet chocolate, then drink this one on the fairer side of warm; the bitterness is more predominant at colder temperatures.

Drinking Date: 12/31/11

Glassware: Pint

Appearance: Pitch black with foamy, bubbly brown head that leaves thick lacing behind as sip through the brew.

Smell: At first sniff a zesty, floral/citrusy hop smell was the heart of the aroma. However, as the head got thinner, Milk chocolaty notes asserted themselves for a mild, but pleasing smell.

Taste: A sharp cocoa flavor was foremost that was immediately accompanied with a roasted character; hops shone through and provided a zesty but balanced bitterness; then sweet chocolate comes in that reminded me of desert; These flavors play around in every sip; As it comes up to room temperature, the sweetness and roasted notes become more pronounced; finishes surpisingly clean with some bitterness, which allows the next sip to be met with a fairly clean palate. Wonderful...

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth and rich; crisp and clean on the end.

Overall: The taste is perfect...It's got variety, depth, and complexity all wrapped in deliciousness. Great Brew and Highly Recommended!

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Started drinking Rogue Ale Brewery beers over 10 years ago while living on the West Coast. When I moved back East, I kind of forgot about their delicious brews.

I was happy to see bombers of the Chocolate Stout in my local beer store.

A- Poured down the middle of a pint glass. Gigantic head, beautiful dark brown.

S- Warm Chocolate, but not too much. Just right.

T- Like a rich, velvety mocha,coffee feel.

M-Smooth, a little thick with perfect carbonation.

D- Started it before dinner and finished the bottle with my steak. I could have had another bottle for dessert. Wonderful.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Color is jet black with a thich creamy brown head that sticks to the glass. Aroma is of chocolate and more chocolate with milk and roasty malt in the backround. Rich and thick, full bodied and a wondeful creamy mouthfeel. Flavor is chocolate, lots of it and different kinds of tastes. Powered cocoa, dark, bittersweet, milk, and baker's chocolate flavors hit you at different times as you sip. Roasted malt and coffee-like taste is in the backround. Hops and bitterness makes itself known but balances nicely. The balance between them is mind-boggling. Would be interesting to try this at a lower IBU. An excellent stout, richness takes away from the drinkablity, but overall it is wonderful.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - A nice dark rich black with a good head

S - This a great smelling beer and the chocolate really stands out

T - This beer has a very nice slight bitter/sweet taste with the right amount of chocolate flavor.

M - A well carbonated smooth stout and goes down very good

O - This is the best chocolate stout that I have had thats why my fridge always has one. Glad this one is made year round.

Poured from a 22 into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark as night with medium thickness brown head. Head is lacy and keeps its body when the glass is tipped.

Aroma: Sweet and dark with strong coffee and dark chocolate notes. Mild oiliness and milk flavors complete the nose.

Flavor: Huge chocolate taste, but without huge body. Bitterness comes from both dark chocolate and fresh hops. Smoke and coffee notes follow the bitterness to round out the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body but doesn't have overwhelming sweetness or thickness to make this an extremely enjoyable and drinkable beer.

Served on tap at Coho Cafe. Redmond, WA

This is only my third time or so having this style of beer(chocolate stout). I must say I was overwhelmed with the wonderful chocolate taste and smooth drinkability of this beer. I ordered this brew at a restaurant before my food came and damn near wanted to cancel my food and have a two or three more of these, as this is a very filling beer. This one would taste great paired with damn near anything or alone. Rogue has definately done it again with this one. Man, am I glad I found this one on tap! This seems to me to be what other chocolate stouts should be measured by.

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

The ode to Sebbie Buhler Chocolate Stout poured a magnificent opal with a finger to two foam head and some solid wavy dragon lacing.

The aroma was music to my nose. The chocolate wafted its way to brain in no time and was intoxicating. The flavor was supreme for an American Stout. Smooth and mellow the chocolate rolled over the tongue and down the hatch and within no time the bomber was gone. I tasted chocolate and berries and a hint of vanilla. Overall this is definitely the best stout of the chocolate variety I have tasted.

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from 22 oz. brown bottle to Imperial Pint glass. No freshness or brewed on date to be found. $6.99 a bottle.

Appearance: Pours black with a large light brown fizzy head that dies down at a fairly steady pace. About a quarter inch layer of head settles on top. Moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: Smells just like a fine Belgian hot chocolate with a hint of roasted coffee. Slight alcohol as it warms.

Taste: Slight coffee bitterness at the begging then a huge wave of bittersweet chocolate comes through and takes over. The taste of chocolate just lingers on the palate. This is by far the most chocolaty beer I have had.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is full with medium carbonation. Smooth and silky as it gets.

Drinkability: Very High

What can I say? It's a chocolate bar in a glass. If you love chocolate you will love this beer, and if you don't you should try it anyway.

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%

Oh my crap, this is a delicious beer. When you pour it into a glass you see that its dense and thick, which to me, is how a good stout should be. And the smell - amazing. It smells like fucking chocolate cake.

I don't have too much to say about the appearance - thick, dark, not too much head. Fine by me.

The taste is fantastic to say the least - everything blends well - the chocolate, the roasty taste, the bitterness (but not TOO bitter). It slides down easily - no strange aftertaste. I could definitely drink more than one. This beer is on point. I'm a fan of Rogue, so I got what I expected. =)

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours pitch black with a creamy tan head.

Smell: holy chocolate! Smells like a chocolatier's shop with a hint of coffee.

The first taste to hit is a bit of roasted malt, but is immediately followed the the rich and creamy chocolate flavor mixed with a touch of mocha. The mix of these two principle flavors is what makes this truly spectacular. Very well-balanced.

This brew goes down very smooth and creamy. It reminds me of nice creamy Swiss/Italian chocolate. I would say it is a medium-full body...not too full, but still has a lot to it.

I could drink this one until I am stuffed. An excellent brew. This is the best stout that I have had to date without a doubt.

served into a nonic glass from a 22 oz. brown bomber crimp cap

Opaque,black with a mocha head thats very thick,dense becoming rocky leaving a thick pillow of foam sitting on top of the beer. Good retention,chuncky lacing all over the sides of the glass.

Awesome chocolate aroma,intense chocolate notes,smell like a cup of hot chocolate, reminded me of my trip to the Hereshey factory.If you love chocolate,who doesn't? this aroma will make you drool all over.
Also showing through are hints of carmell/toffee and some of the rolled oats. Chocolate all the way here though.

Taste: chocolate of course! The best tasting chocolate i've ever tasted in a beer. Once your past the chocolate taste a very complex maltiness appears that's carmelly,roasty,coffee like,burnt notes. Great malt tastes after the rush of chocolate. Finishes with a sharp,crisp,slightly dry citrus taste that's very pleasing with chocolate overtones. An amazing tasting beer. If you love stouts and chocolate this is the beer for you !

A thick and very creamy mouthfeel,even sticky,I loved it. I didn't think at first taste this beer would be very drinkable,but the more I drank the more drinkable this beer became. Would be filling after a while or it would had gotten a 5. I been trying not to give out a lot of 5's,If this was my first review I would have given this beer all 5's easily. This beer is that damn good. Seek out this beer and give it a try.
Warning: if you don't like chocolate don't even attempt to try this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Wormhole black body with a galactic, nebulous dark brown head. Lasts indefinately, and leaves huge amounts of lace in it wake.
Cocoa powder and oaty sweetness on the nose...Maybe hints of vanilla. In the basest of terms, it smells like a Hostess Ho-Ho.
Tell me this isn't alluring...
First off in the good old roasted malt stouty flavors. In comes the soothing oaty smoothness coupled with a chocolate flavor that rest between dark and milk. Some graininess lies underneath along with some some slight vanilla and carmel tones. At 69 IBU's, this is no slouch in the hops dept. But they only add a bit of citric bitterness at the finale. They do, however, balance the load well.
Smooth and gliding across the mouth. Delectable.
I don't even care for chocolate that much, but I recognize a treat when I taste one. And this one is a treat. Easily the best chocolate stout I've had.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Where do I start with this one. I had this one back in the day, but my palate wasn't a mature as it now, so I had to give this one a whirl again

First off the pour was clean, really really dark black with a thick brown head.

It has an AMAZING smell of milk chocolate! This almost has the same smell as my favorite porter Victory at Sea by ballast point. I love it!!

The taste really cold is a chocolate milkshake. The name of this beer doesn't lie. As it heats up I get roasted coffee with a little more bitterness, but the chocolate runs this bad boy.

This beer is second to the Victory at sea when it comes to chocolate tasting beers. This has just became a top 5 stout for me

22 oz. bomber

A-Thick brown head and very dark,almost black body.1 1/2 head and real thick and fluffy.I cant see throught the beer at all.The head stays with the beer for a while.

S-Chocolate smell and malts.

T-Very strong,chocolate taste and roasted nuts.

M-Very easy tasting and easy going down.Not as thick as it looks,nice aftertaste.I think its carbony.

D-Im glad I bought it.It taste real good.I could have gone for some more.I reccomend to beer lovers.I was a bit skeptical about this,since im not a big fan over stouts but this one is real good.Another great beer from the Rogue guys!

***UPDATE***05-02-07

I decided to try this beer again when my palate has gotten more accustemed to taste's of good beer.Poured into a tulip glass.

A-BIG thick brown head and a nice very dark blackish/brown body.Some nice lacing is left on the glass as the head goes down.

S-I smell some sweet chocolate.Some fruityness is there,hops im assuming.

M-Mouthful is a bit thick and the carbonation is a little more then I like to a stout beer but not enough to make you cry.

D-Once again,Good stuff.I enjoyed this the first time I had it and the 2nd time is no exception.If I remember correctly,the choclate has tamed down a bit since I last had it.I have heard people aging this.I may have to jump on the band wagon and try it myselfI would reccomend this to anyone who wants a great beer and a great chocolate stout.

T-Some sweet chocolate taste then leads to some bittering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man, lots of drak brown suds here and even backlit, you can't peer through it. The smell is Chocolate ( who would of guessed?)
Can't really smell much else here. Mabey some malt.
First taste is only chocolate. Other tastings reveal some fruity flavors like green apples hidden wonderfully by the sweet to semi-sweet chocolate.
Mouthfeel is constant all the way through this bottle and the clean feel followed by a chocolate coating of the tounge is very nice.
Drinkability is determined if you love chocolate or not. I do and I could have this over and over. For a cheap looking bottle, this was a suprise of a drink. Chocolate lovers, get your fix here.

Chocolate malts.

Chocolate in the brew.

Chocolate.

Big (chocolate), full-flavored (chocolate), balanced nicely with carbonation (chocolate), enjoyable mouthfeel (chocolate), and a great change of pace (chocolate).

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

It pours jet black, not even a tinge of amber; 100% opaque with a nice amount of creamy tan head that leaves a nice amount of lacing on the glass with every sip.

There is an incredibly tantalizing chocolate aroma that surges out of this brew coupled with a subtle coffee smell.

The unsweetened chocolate takes control of the almost roasty flavor. It has a bitterness to it that is very well complemented by the chocolaty flavor. There are some subtle coffee flavors that are pretty minor in comparison to the chocolate goodness.

It is thick and creamy, but has a little more carbonation than I prefer. Leaves a nice aftertaste in your mouth after every sip.

Definitely a drinkable beer, and without a doubt my favorite beer at this point in time (Just passed up Young's double chocolate stout)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber bottle into a pint glass

A: 100% pitch black, though it looks like a little bit of a brown tone. Pours a huge dark beige head.

S: Dutch process cocoa, coffee, and a light cigar smoke aroma. Sweet chocolate syrup.

T: Brilliant. Light hop bitter finishes off what I can only describe as perfection. Toasty chocolate and nice malty depth. Flavor=perfect.

M: Rich but not overwhelmingly thick.

D: Nearly 100% perfect. Right there with Surly Coffee Bender and Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat.

Big bottle, capped.
Very dark brew with an almost "oily" appearance and a vigorous creamy head production. Good retention, followed by nice, sticky lacing coating the sides of the glass.
The aroma is, well, chocolate. Milk chocolate for starters, powdered cocoa, then the sweetness of it leaves way to a more subdued, coffe/tofee like- aroma, and at points even some earth-like smells.
This beer is quite firm on the palate, interestignly starting somewhat bitter, even lightly hopped, followed coffee and earthy flavors, and then obviously layers and layers of chocolate. Sweetish throughout most of it, but not cloying, and the aftertaste is like bittersweet chocolate.
Big, bold, but not overpowering or cloying, this one went down amazingly easy with chocolate truffles.
Indeed a masterpiece; great dessert beer with chocolates or on its own.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a dark brown/black color, as expected, with a foamy tan head that settles fairly quickly. Smell is all chocolate. Not really able to detect anything else, but that's okay. I love chocolate! Taste is also as expected heavy on the chocolate flavor, almost like they added chocolate syrup or copious amounts of cocoa to the beer. The cocoa flavor is very nice, gives it a kind of bakers chocolate flavor, without any noticeable roasted coffee flavors. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, possibly due to the oats used in the recipe, possibly due in part to Rogue's proprietary yeast. Whatever the cause, it is quite enjoyable. Drinkability is extremely high, unless you are just against chocolate flavor. Try it with ice cream as a float. It's delicious. Also, i've had the chance to try it on nitro before this, and i must say i prefer it from the bottle. Easily my new favorite beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Smokin' Joes in Pittsburgh. This is one top notch beer. Poured a beautiful black with awesome cascading action, a brown head that stuck around to the very end and left awesome lacing. The smell is of dark chocolate, roasted malts and some hops. The taste, AMAZING. Dark chocolate and toasted malts, with the aftertaste of a chocolate truffel. The mouthfeel was rich and creamy, just as expected. It was so good I had to have another. Very drinkable, yet another awesome brew from our friends at Rogue!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found my new favorite. It was served in a 22 ounce bottle. I purposely poured it to get a nice thick head on it. It was pure, sweet chocolate brown in color. Took a while for the head to go away, so I sipped the foam. Tasted like dark chocolate toffee. A spotty lace sticks to the sides of the glass. The taste of the beer is deep, earthy malts, dark chocolate, oatmeal and coffee undertones. The finish is superb with the chocolate rising up through the nose. This is my frist 5 ever!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome. Pours out like a can of motor oil. Two inch dark brown head not unlike the top of a chocolate milk shake. Is this a chocolate milkshake...besides the chocolate aroma the touch of hops and strong malts tell me that this is in fact a beer. Taste is incredibly smooth. Big malts up front with a pronounced hop bitterness in the middle with a finish of sweet chocolate goodness. Overall flavor is almost of baking chocolate. This is the best chocolate beer I've had yet, and one of the best stout's to boot.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales