Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,198 |  Reviews: 1,913
4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

My 1st Rogue, here we go...

A - Poured into a pint glass very dark chocolate brown. Nice 1 finger tan head that lingers and leave a thick lace.

S - CHOCOLATE!! I'm excited...

T - Wow. Even the girl who hates strong brews likes this one. Chocolate up front, nice hoppy bitterness on the end, and just enough alcohol @ 6%.

M - Thick and rich,very hearty.

D - Well, I'm now a Chocolate Stout fan...

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

From a 22oz. bomber.

A - Beautiful oily black liquid with a dense 1.25 in tan head with some scattered big bubbles. Retetnion is spectacular. Very appealing beer. Lacing sticks to the glass like glue.

S - Chocolate cake, really rich chocolate cake with some hints of warm alcohol and roasted malts. No discernible hops in the nose. I cant rave enoug about the smells its somehting to experience. Some hop bitterness and dryness at the end but only there. It starts with roasted malts and a coffee flavor that quickly evens out by chocolaty sweetness.

T - Some hints of roasted malts, some mild malty sweetness and mostly chocolate malts and chocolate bitterness. It reminds me of coffee with chocolate, some sort of mochaccino. Very delicious!

M - Very well cabroanted. good balance between sweet and dry bitterness. A little bit on teh watery side for me. Still very good though.

D - More than one might be a bit much. Still well balanced and smooth.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Tried a few weeks back, but I hadn't gotten around to reviewing it until now for various reasons. Dark ruby brown with a thick brown head that left good lacing. Smells of dark chocolate and a slight bit of coffee in the background. Tastes like unsweetened dark chocolate (awesome) and had a bit of a roasted character to it, with some notes of coffee and dark fruitiness to compliment the chocolatey body. Surprisingly smooth, with good carbonation- not too heavy, leaving you to enjoy it at your own pace. It went down very easily, while still retaining full character. I did use a good portion of the bottle to make two floats (received as payment for moving a couch for my brother's girlfriend) and was able to get an ample review from the remainder of the bottle poured into a pint glass. Once you've had this, you won't even be able to look at a Guinness again.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a fascinating beer. I saw a documentary on how they made this one: I guess it's basically the Shakespeare Stout with added imported Belgian chocolate (very expensive I might add).

I split this bomber with my wife tonight. Thank goodness she loves chocolate!

A: Poured a very dark, melted truffle brown, with about a one finger beige head that retained itself for long after... hours after even. You see, my wife got full and never told me she didn't finish her portion. That friggin' head was still alive and kicking!

S: Straight up high grade chocolate, with quite a bit of a doughy quality that was very reminiscent of a chocolate donut. I didn't detect any booze... as a matter of fact, it almost didn't even smell like a beer at all.

T: Not a trace of coffee, fruit, or hop bitterness. All of the bitter elements were the ones provided by the chocolate. This was a very dark, dessert of a beer that was very disciplined in its approach.

M: Very milky in texture, almost like Nestle's Quick, only ten times better. The prickly carbonation aided in cutting through some of the dessert, and the sugar content was just sweet enough to give the cocoa a little kick.

D: At 6%, this was very drinkable. Rogue is really hit-or-miss with me, but their pac man yeast worked like a charm here!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a more Milk Chocolate character, solid.

1 PT. 6 FL. OZ.
650 ML.
15 PLATO 69 IBU
77 AA 135.45 L

Appearance – black body that allows light only on the farthest perimeter; massive, frothy tan head with a microbubble majority on top and moderately-sized bubbles holding court for the foundation; head stays thick for a long while; great lacing

Smell – sweet chocolate; this is what I imagine the chocolate river in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory’ smelling like

Taste – light smoke early; nice smooth, semi-sweet chocolate roasted center to close; moderately bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel – light prickly sensation early to mid; full across the span of the feel; lightly parching close

Drinkability - its the quality smoothness...its the chocolate...its the fullness...big plusses...I wish the close was a bit less bitter

As Wonka says, "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." In this case, its 2% Rogue magic.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Looks like chocoalte, smells like chocolate and tastes like chocolate. My first chocolate stout and I was amazed how this beer really does taste like chocolate. The beer is almost black - a very dark brown with a tan leather head that did not last long but left lots of lacing on the glass. Rich, strong smell of chocoate and the taste is a tart chocolate with a hint of coffee. A smooth mouthfeel and pretty drinkable for such a unique tasting beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

St. Patrick's Day Review time. Tonight a Rogue brew.

Appearance - Jet black with 2 finger head brown in color.

Smell - Chocolate with chocolate.

Taste - Bittersweet bakers chocolate and roasted malts, after taste is chocolate with some hops. Could be sweeter I'd love for Rogue too try milk chocolate instead of the bitter dark bakers chocolate that I taste and see how that goes over.

Mouthfeel - Smoothest beer ever going down, bit dry on the finish.

Overall - I'd say this is one of my favorite stouts to date right up there with Samuel Smith's Stouts (which I haven't reviewed here yet /runs to store...) anyway go pick this up if you haven't already.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Uber dark brown body, dark beige head. Tight bubbles creating a quality 1/4 inch head

S: So much chocolate on the nose. Hints of minor vanilla, coffee, black patent malt and roasted barley

T: Oh lordy this beer. First impressions before all the flavors hit is this is going to be a dry, roasted stout. Then the chocolate comes. Sweet, bakers and milk chocolate flavors. Not chalking but silky and flavorful.

M: Creamy, silky and perfect for the style

D: Tremendous. For beer lovers and those that *claim* that they don't like beer. Delicious.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Theres not much to say about this beer except DELICIOUS!
Chocolaty goodness in every part of this beer. Great smell, easy to drink, and quite a treat for dessert.
I shared this with a friend, but next time I think I'll get a bottle just for myself!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Why wait? Have a Rogue Chocolate Stout.
Melts in your mouth, not in your hands.
Well, I will try to keep the use of the word chocolate below one hundred for this review.

The bottle is a standard bomber that can be picked up anywhere in your local liquor store.

The pour for this drink was really good and dark, not as thick as I had wanted it to be though. It came out smooth and the head that developed was thick. Three fingers thick, which is good. Why is it good? Because with that much carbonation, the smell lets loose.

The smell is strong. So strong that one could smell this from about three feet away. The chocolate aroma makes me salivate right away, thinking about sweetness.

The first sip was very pleasing to the nose and mouth. The head retention of this beer is amazing. I poured it to three fingers and it stayed consistently at a finger. The taste is really sweet, and I will even say light. I lean more towards the imperial stouts, but this one as a dessert beer is really good. I feel like they could of pushed more alcohol into it and it would increase the taste. Either way, incredibly delightful.

When drinking this beer I felt like I needed more. I personally have a sweet tooth and this beer satisfied my craving for sweets, but made me wanting more. I do feel like if I drank too many of these beers I would have a stomachache, the same one you would have with too much candy. Either way I am going to buy more of these when I can and I will enjoy every single one. Good Brew!

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into snifter.

A: Pours a rich, jet-black with loads of dark tan head. Head has phenomenal staying power.

S: Chocolate, and more chocolate. A hint of coffee, and a slight roasty quality.

T: Very dark, rich, bitter chocolate. Not sweet chocolate, but semi-sweet or bitter chocolate. Has a touch of cream to the front, and a bit of caramel in there, too. Finish is long, has a mild bitterness wrapped up in a burnt tail.

M: Lightly syrupy, full-bodied.

D: This is fantastic. The bitterness and burned quality make it abundantly clear that you're not drinking chocolate milk. This is a terrific dessert beer. This is, believe it or not, my first beer from Rogue. I've got a few more bombers in my beer cabinet, and I'm now really looking forward to them. A wonderful introduction to the brewery. I'm hooked.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

The aroma from my snifter hit hard and complex character of a flower and chocolate bouquet.

The taste was even more complex feeling rich and heavy on the palate enticing expected taste from the aroma.

The beer gets better as it warms, but not too warm, the taste becomes flat, if you like your dark beers extremely warm I'd recommend the Rogue Shakespeare Stout which does not have the flat chocolate flavor as it warms.

Great beer!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in Boston the weekend of the AoBF...

Appearance: Pours an inky black with brown highlights. It's completely opaque, with zero light entering or leaving. A creamy, dark brown head starts out thick and creamy, then shrinks to a steady cap. Great lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is rich and inviting with a hefty dose of chocolate on top of a backbone of roasted malt. There's a faint suggestion of green hops, as well as a touch of licorice. Oh baby...

Taste: Starts out creamy and chocolately with notes of coffee and roasted malts. The chocolate isn't overpowering at all...it's just another facet of the flavor profile. After the rich beginning of malt and chocolate, the Cascade hops assert themselves with a firm bitterness and green freshness. The aftertaste shifts the focus back to the chocolate, with a hint of bitterness from the roasted barley. Very delicious!

Mouthfeel: Velvety and smooth with a medium thickness. The finish is a bit on the dry side.

Drinkability: While some may hold this one until dessert, I could enjoy it anytime. The chocolate flavor is well balanced and integrated. More please!

This black, deep brew is a fantastic accompaniment to Johnny Cash-American IV: The Man Comes Around.

Double your pleasure, Double your Black!

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Pours jet black with a really nice three finger head that looks like cappuccino foam. Each sip adds another layer of lace to the spiderweb-like strands that coat the entire glass.

The aroma that stands out the most is milk chocolate. Very sweet and inviting. In fact, it smells like a bowl of Cocoa Puffs. Taste is sweet up front with some chocolate and dark roasted malts. Dark chocolate finish with just a touch of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Medium-bodied. Drinkability is awesome. This is one smooth and delicious stout.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah that magical pour of a well made stout, well “heck the worst I ever drank was pert near good”. Deep brown to black beauty with a gargantuan head that leaves a latticework of lace behind, the color a magnificent chocolate brown, with a creamy texture. Nose is bittersweet chocolate, coffee, roasted grains, and black patent malts, quite a “Sniffer”. Front is malt, lightly sweet, the top thick-bodied, the finish, joyously hopped, joyfully acidic, with a bittersweet chocolate dry aftertaste, la bière est magnifique. Ranks #70 on my current 1000 beer master list.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance - Dark black, nice large head, with some lace.

smell - chocolate chocolate chocolate, like opening a hershey can of cocoa.

taste - Bittersweet cocoa, with a some hops present at the end.

mouthfeel - Full body.

drinkability - It took me a while to try this. I had this in the cellar for sometime now. Very tastey of you like chocolate.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A- Pours an inky black with a big, long lasting head. This just looks fantastic. The head must be very sticky; it laces and rings on the almost the entire glass.

S- Smells of cocoa powder, black coffee and roasted malts. Almost like sticking your nose in a container of hot chocolate, but not as strong.

T- This is just great. Definite chocolate taste, but not in an overly strong way. There is also some espresso and some prune notes. The malt gives this a strong backbone, and the hops give it a little sharpness on the finish. There's a lot going on here.

M- Nice and smooth, carbonation is just right. Flavors stick to the tongue for a long finish. Starts sweet and ends dry.

D- I drank this bomber easily, and loved it, but wouldn't want more right away. This is a rich beer, the sweetness is plenty for me. I will definitely buy more.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Rogue Chocolate Stout is one of the few top-notch readily available beers here in Mississippi. I guess I've taken this stuff for granted and I owe it a review.

Pours jet black with a nice 3/4" head that never dissipates.

Amazingly, this beer smells of chocolate. Yes, believe the other 1000+ reviews.

Delicious. I'm not pairing this with a dessert, this is dessert. I'm tasting dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and maybe even a little coffee bean on the long finish.

This is one very rich and filling stout. One bottle is just right.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bomber bottle with a nice silk screen label that has a picture of fellow Roguester Sebbie Buhler. I'm not sure who she is, but this beer is dedicated to her. She's wearing a bright red jacket, a mug of this beer in her left and holding some chocolate in her right. It had the usual Rogue information and no date on the side. Rogue says this beer goes well with beef and dessert and probably with their Chocolate Stout Cheese.

Appearance: When poured into my Samuel Smith pint glass, the beer was a very dark brown/black color with a head of tan colored foam that was about 1in in height. It also left plenty of tan colored lace and rigns around my pint glass. Very Nice indeed!

Smell: It had a pleasant aroma of dark chocolate (of course), roasted coffee beans, dark roasted malt, and plenty of hops. In fact thats what it smelled like (hoppy) when I first popped the cap. I got the roasted smell when I poured it.

Taste: It tasted exactly like it smelled. There was plenty of bitter dark chocolate up front, roasted malt and roasted coffee beans in the middle, and at the end, a slight hoppy aftertaste. Excellent taste!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and some light carbonation. That bitter hoppy chocolate aftertaste in the back of your mouth doesn't seem to want to leave just yet.

Drinkability: This is one beer that I wouldn't mind to have again. Easy to drink and hands down one of the best brews made by Rogue. If you like chocolate beer, then you'll love this one.

My 100th Beer Review!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The appearance is outstanding. The beer appears opaque and jet black, with a towering, thick beige head over an inch thick. After several minutes, the head slowly begins to dissipate, leaving ample lacing all over the tulip glass.

S: The aroma is fabulous, with dominant scents of chocolates and chocolate syrup, followed by a roasted malt character.

T: The taste does not disappoint. Chocolate syrup and melted chocolates consume the palate without ever being overly sweet. Roast and coffee flavors come in behind, creating a wonderful and delicate dance.

M: The feel is great. Smooth and creamy, with just the right carbonation level.

D: I honestly didn't think I could drink so much of this beer and still want more. I drank most of the bomber by myself, and was a bit bummed when it ran out. A superb marriage of chocolate and beer - highly recommended.

Rogue Chocolate Stout
22 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours an attractive jet black. Dark as night with a thick tan-colored head. Webbed lacings appear all over the sides of the glassware. Magnificant trails form and sustain.

Aroma packs a mean punch. Strong whiffs of roasted coffee and quality dark chocolate.

Light powdered chocolate, freshly brewed espresso and dark Hershey's syrup sweetness. Cocoa butter, french roast coffee and burnt peanut blend with a wholesome hop bitterness and bite. West coast, cascape hop presence comes through to my delight.

Mighty smooth and creamy. An incredibly drinkable and well balanced chocolate stout.

Recommended.