Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,210 |  Reviews: 1,915
2.76/5  rDev -33.5%

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a midnight black with a nice creamy mocha head. Very nice lacing that lingered as I drank it down.

Smell is pure chocolate, rather heavenly, but nothing else.

Taste is overpowering chocolate and some maltiness. Way too much chocolate in this for me. I do love chocolate stouts (Youngs & Brooklyn my favorites), but this one is like drinking a chocolate malt, doesn't taste like a beer.

I split a bomber with my friend & we both could barely finish our half, not very drinkable.

A rather disappointing chocolate stout from Rogue

2.84/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle 6,0% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No Bottle date.

Appearance: Rogue Chocolate stout appears pitch black in the glass , with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges of the glass (this stuff is pretty dark for the Abv.). A standard pour yields a massive dark tan coloured head. The head displays fantastic retention and leaves beautiful rings of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Given all the great reviews, the nose is actually quite disappointing. There is a fair amount of chocolate, but it seems somewhat fake and more like chocolate flavour than actual chocolate. Other notes include: Oats, toasted malt and some creamy caramel.

Taste: As with the nose the flavour is rather disappointing. There isn't a ton of flavour and the beer comes across as somewhat watery. There is a fair amount of (fake) chocolate flavour, some roasted malt, a toasty character and a pleasant bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this doesn't work at all, the body is thin and watery. The carbonation is okayish at a medium-high level but it is a little harsh.

Overall: Another shitty beer from Rogue, I can't see I'll be buying anything more from these guys.

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%

Presentation: 650ml bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep brown/black, completely opaque in appearance. Pours with massive brown/tan head, which fades slowly to but a thin coating, leaving heavy lacing.

S- Chocolate syrup odor wafts up, and grassy hoppiness there if I bury my nose deep.

T- Starts off bland with a burnt coffee finish. I was too impatient, perhaps, and needed to let it warm. As it warms, vague hints of chocolate appear (still less prominent than expected), and the coffee finish mellows substantially. Still disappointed.

M- Medium/light....thinner than I had hoped.

D- Eh....ok. Not too heavy, but I can't imagine even a fan wanting more than this bomber worth.

Future outlook: Disappointed in this one. Doubtful that I will revisit it anytime soon.

2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a bomber into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Dark brown/Black. No lacing. Very thin head that dissipates as the beer sits.

S: Great smelling stout. Dark chocolate, cola, vanilla bean.

T: Flat. Could use more carbonation. Nice mellow chocolate up front and at finish.

M: Very light for a stout. Not much staying power

D: Easy to drink because there is not a lot going on.

2.94/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. It was black in color with slight carb but tons of lacing. It had a very large brown head that very, very slowly settled into a thick constant foam.

The aroma was very weak. I'm battling spring allergies so even had the wife take a sniff. We both had to really swirl the glass and then breath deep to get much. What was there was good. Cocoa and coffee mainly with some milk chocolate in the back. The taste was very disappointing. Chalky with a very bitter middle and end. I like bitter but this seemed out of place and the wrong bitter if that makes sense. Also getting a lot of watery taste as well. Normally, I'd chalk this up to a bad bottle but I tried this about 6 months ago and it tasted exactly the same. I didn't review it then because I thought it was a bad bottle but now I think that it's just the way it is. I really wanted to like this one as I love the style and it's readily accessible but really didn't enjoy. After half a bottle it really became a chore to finish.

Overall, a disappointment - see above for why. Could I possibly have had 2 bad bottles? Seems unlikely but I'm way off from other reviewers that normally I find a lot in common with. Since it's Rogue, I'll give it one more chance down the road. Unless dramatic improvement, one and done.

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from a 650 ML bottle into a brandy snifter, this beer presented itself well. A deep dark burnt umber with a very decent mocha colored head that to some degree lingered to the end. Aroma of chocolate...period. The smell was pure chocolate and lacked the other nuances of a typically well done chocolate stout. Stir in a spoonful of dark coco into your next porter or stout and you'll get the idea. The taste was, frankly, disappointing. An unpleasant bitterness lingered after each sip. Once you get past the chocolate, you're kind of drinking a Guinness with a little more body. Whether this bitterness comes from bakers chocolate or a big shot of hops...or both, I couldn't tell. But to my palate, this stuff is unpleasant. The bitter aftertaste lasts until you brush your teeth. From previous reviews, I expected better. I'll take a Young's Double Chocolate, thank you.

2.96/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- When poured into a glass it has a very nice dark brown head that stays around a while. The color of the beer is dark brown with a hint of translucense.

S- Very strong burnt smell too it. Almost too much. Drowns out most of the other flavoring to it.

T- Again, very strong burnt taste to it. I can taste some of the chocolate and other flavors to it. Unfortunately the overpowering taste is the burnt coffee. Burnt is the correct word too because the taste is more than just roasted coffee. If the burnt flavor is toned down this could be a good beer.

M- Good mouthfeel, little light for my taste but is still a medium body.

D- This wasn't an enjoyable beer. The burnt coffee dominated every aspect of this beer and not in a pleasant way. Something a little more subtle is more to my liking.

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

Bomber poured into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

A - slightly aggressive pour at first yields a huge, tan colored head. this beer with only the faintest reddish hue on the edges when held up to a bright light. head slowly dissipates over a few minutes, clinging to the side of the glass. the high point of this beer.

S - if you've ever burned brownies or hershey bars on the stove, this is the scent. offset slightly by a bit of toasted malt, very faint toffee and coffee. tried my hardest to detect any hint of alcohol in the nose but to no avail.

T - more slightly burnt chocolate. initial sweetness is balanced pretty well by the malts, and then a bit of hop bitterness at the back of the tongue...and there's the alcohol! aftertaste is more of the same, and lingers for quite awhile. as it warms, the coffee notes become a little more prevalent.

M - pretty strong carbonation, a bit too much. leaves behind a chalky kind of texture on the tongue, and the taste (though not bad) just refuses to go away. wished this was a little creamier.

D - though not really heavy, i'm half-struggling to finish all 22oz on my own. kind of tasty, but every few minutes i find myself taking another sip just to fight the overly chalky aftertaste.

Notes: i've had this beer numerous times, and can see myself being in the mood for it in the future, although not too often. wish this was a bit thicker, a little sweeter with a little less "burnt" taste, and in a smaller bottle.

-my first formal review on BA. was planning on doing it with a "better" beer, but figured I would just jump in tonight. cheers!

Bomber to pint glass

Had a LONG week of work and couldn't wait to drink this for the first time.

A - Cracked it open and poured (with a slightly heavy wrist) into my pint glass. Looks good. DARK brown - almost black - even in the light. Not much head (1/3 inch even with the slightly agitated pour) but a nice tan color.

S - Maltiness... Chocolate.... Nuttiness... Coffee? In that order. hmmmm, let's see how it performs

T - I left a little dinner on my plate, skipped desert, and passed on sweats all day for this?!? Where's the chocolate? I taste an average-stout, with average maltiness, and some hints of chocolate and nuts. A little too hoppy.

M - Oily / watery stout. Slightly under-carbonated. Not exactly pleasing to the palate.

Look, I understand the paradigm that chocolate stouts should not be over-chocolatey, however, this is will be a disappointment to anyone looking for an even-slightly sweet treat. It was drinkable, but boring. According to the website, this stout is:

"Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. The mellow flavor of oats, chocolate malts and real chocolate are balanced perfectly with the right amount of hops for a bitter-sweet finish."

-Color was ebony, but the creamy head was not.
-Oats? No.
-Chocolate malts and real chocolate? Meh, malts and a hint of chocolate.
-Too much hops making the beer more bitter than sweet.

2.98/5  rDev -28.2%

I had a pint of this while visiting Kclingers. THe beer comes in a pint glas and there is a thin creamy tan head floating on the surface. The color of the beer is drak brown with no lite passing through when held up. The aroma is rich and chocolatey, no surprise there. The chocolate is actually fairly sweet like cocoa powder of a hershey bar. First sip reveals a fairly thick body and very mild carbonation. Nice and smooth beer. Then the flavor, things go down a little here IMO. The beer is very sweet chocolate flavored like eating a candy bar over and over. By about mid pint it gets to be very cloying and not very enjoyable. Maybe with some fruit or vanilla ice cream but with a dinner it is just too much sweet chocolate. Of course if you really dig that this is for you. I am turned off by the overdose of chocolate and wish it was some more roasted notes or coffee to balance the sweetness.

Appearance: it looks a stout though a non-descript one.
Smell: chocolate (duh). Not bad but nothing like I was expecting.
Taste: again, chocolate and enjoyable but nothing outstanding IMO.
Based on rep I thought this one would drink like a chocolate shake so to speak. Full disclosure, after kbs and to a lessor degree southern tiers chokolat, maybe I'm ruined. Still with less alcohol I anticipated a quaffer. A tasty stout but no standout IMO.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales