Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

Ratings: 4,215 |  Reviews: 1,915

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome, big stout that is delicious, and really, it's fun to drink. I wish the smell was a little sweeter, maybe let some more malt come through with the chocolate, but it's hard to complain too much about this beer.

This is one that is great for introducing people to beer, or at least helping them realize how diverse beer can be. It is also a great food beer, pairing well with chocolate, but also Ice Cream!

Stouts are my style of choice. Being a home brewer, I thought I would try a few 22 oz. bottled brews this weekend for a couple of reasons. First, try something new. Second, invest in some larger bottles for home brew that will cut down on my bottling time.
I have tried some of the other Rogue styles in the past and have not been overly impressed but when I tried the Rogue Chocolate Stout I was blown away. In review, I do not know how this brew can be improved. I have purposely stayed away from some of the other Rogue styles in the past but chocolate stout is a home run.
Rogue, you have changed my mind. Now my quest to emulate this brew at home begins.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

From notes, Sept. 24, 2012.

From a 22 oz bottle into a nonic.

A-The beer pours coffee-black with brown highlights if you shine a light in there. There was a 1.5 finger, dirty-brown head that recedes slowly leaving a thick ring around the edge of the glass.

S-Cocoa and, uh, chocolate, obviously. Milk chocolate to light-dark chocolate to be exact. The smell is pretty concentrated on those flavors, but I got a whiff of roasted malts and oats.

T-Mostly follows the chocolatey smell, but a bit more bitter. I got a bit of smoke, which makes the chocolate notes almost like semi-sweet chocolate. There was a bit of nutty flavor on the finish.

M-The beer leans toward heavy, but not nearly as oily or heavy as an RIS.

O-As advertised, this is a chocolate stout, and a good one at that. Is this the best chocolate stout out there? No, but if you want to sip on a dessert beer that won't bowl you over with ABV, this is a nice choice in complexity and taste.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark chocolate brown with a finger of tan head. The nose is distinctly chocolate. The chocolate flavor is certainly present upfront, but the roast profile is not quite up to the standards of top tier stouts. The finish has a definite cocoa bitterness that makes for a nice ending to a solid offering.

Too often I find that brewers like to hype their "chocolate" beers, but rarely do they deliver on actual chocolate flavor. This offering is one of the few chocolate beers that can be marked "as advertised."

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This Oregon made stout is the wow of stout beers. I don't know if this is my favorite stout stout, but damn...it knocks me out. This is a contender for first prize of stouts with especially another Oregon stout - Obsidian!

Let's get to the review. Appearance? Black black like purple black with a creamy tan head that won't quit. 5.0.

The aroma of chocolate fills your senses so much that I had to give it a 5.0 too just for its sheer strength.

The taste is a strong stout melded with chocolate. Lotsa chocolate. The chocolate shows up on the first taste. Stronger chocolate flavor than even Young's Double chocolate. I don't know if this is my favorite stout. I don't know if I want this much chocolate, but I rated it at a 4.5 just to give it the proper props that are due to the tremendous effort by the makers of this beer. Hoo-wah.

Complement this beer with a silent watching of Foxxy Brown movie while listening to Grace Jones singing La Vie en Rose and more of her techno punky miracles.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%