Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,206 |  Reviews: 1,914
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

A -- A nice rich chocolate brown; decent head on the pour from the bottle; can't wait to take a sip of this inviting-looking pint

S -- Can smell the chocolate in this beer but not over-whelming...makes you want to take a first sip.

T -- Definetely a strong taste of cocoa; very rich and flavorful; comfortable but not overwhelming. Makes you want to take another sip...

M -- Smoothe and rich; easy on the mouth like velvet...

D -- Easy to drink at an enjoyable pace. Had two of these and it was totally enjoyable...not too heavy or overwhelming. Jusy enjoyable. I love a stout and this is one of my favorites thus far.

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

I was really excited to try this beer. It came in a huge 22 oz. bottle and I got a huge 16 oz glass with it.

A: Dark black, with a great, foamy, tan head. The head lasted a bit, and it lingered on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

S: Beer had the strongest chocolate smell. Really, it smelled like a chocolate bar! I was so excited to drink it after smelling it, so I was so disappointed when...

T:...the taste was overwhelmingly bitter. It was so bitter that I couldn't taste any sweetness at all. I let it warm up a bit and ate some pizza to try and tease out some flavors, but got nothing. All I could taste was bitter, bitter, and more bitter aftertaste lingering on my tongue, so that I didn't even look with delight to the next sip. All I kept thinking was, "well, I gotta finish the beer."

M: It's smooth, like Guinness, and almost as thick and heavy as a Gunness. It wasn't heavily carbonated at all.

D: The bitter aftertaste was just too much for me. I finished the bottle only because I hate to waste beer. I've tasted great chocolate stouts, and I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. The only reason it has a good grade at all is because it looks and smells really good.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Rogue Chocolate Stout pours a rich dark brownish black with a nice lingering head. The smell is strong of chocolate after the initial pour, but fades quickly. It has a nice taste, unfortunately it is accompanied by a rather non pleasant bitter aftertaste. This fades slightly as the beer warms. Bitterness and high carbonation is what stands out most to me in the mouthfeel. Drinkability wise I expected this to be less bitter, I guess thats why I keep on getting it. Overall its not bad, but I do think there are better Chocolate Stouts out there.

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz bomber poured into a 14oz mug. No apparent freshness date on the bottle.

Pours an opaque black with a shy khaki head. Head was slow to come even with an aggressive pour. Lacing was thick and strong though.

Whoa, the nose is all semi-sweet chocolate. It's not bad, but I seriously can't find anything else in there. Bit milky I guess.

The taste is a pleasant, creamy dark chocolate, backed up quickly by coffee. The rear is brought up by an earthy hop flavor, which provides a nice balance to a truly delicious beer. I've had my share of chocolate, vanilla, maple, etc. stouts and porters and this is beautifully strong and balanced at the same time.

The mouthfeel is exceptional. There's just enough carbonation to cut the thickness, but it's pleasantly thick and very appropriate for the style.

Drinkability is very good for the style. I'd much rather have several dry well balanced stouts like this than some of the over-done half-candy flavored stouts I've had lately.

What a great chocolate stout. While the nose is almost comically strong, don't be fooled; this is an exceptionally good beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Copped a 1pint, 6 fl. oz bottle from Bottle King in Livingston... The front logo brandishes a logo that says "Made with imported chocolate"... Pours a jet-black, ebony color with tan head... dark, burnt chocolate aroma... deep espresso, dark cocoa taste with slight bitter aftertones... more bitter than sweet, although a slight sugarness is evident behind a thick, rich layer of creamy chocolate goodness... this is one brew that would go great with candy and sweet chocolates... good mouthfeel, but slight bitterness detracts from the overall drinkability... overall, a very good brew and another winner from Rogue... Definitely recommended...

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at the Rogue Public House. Damn...I wish I’d bought more when this was available at the LCBO. Very dark black appearance with a mocha head. Aroma is all about chocolate, and whoah! So is the flavour! Melted chocolate, with hints of smoke and coffee. Smooth drinking and pleasant mouth feel. Extremely drinkable and highly recommended, but perhaps a tad one-dimensional.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

L:Thick dark black color with no light to be seen coming through. Mocha colored head that stays.
S:Awesome pungent smell of really dark chocolate.
T:Frickin awesome chocolate. Like some insanely smooth cholate. Milk flavor lingers through out. Light hops continue after each swallow.
M:Feel like cold melted chocolate with a warming sensation. A slightly hard fizz
D:Amazing chocolate stout. Hands down the best chocolate stout I have had to date

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

poured from 22oz bottle into New Beligum snifter. Poured a jet black with thick mocha tan head. Smell bitter dark chocolate with roasted malt. Taste is like dark chocolate with milky vanilla creamness finished with a hint off coffee. Mouth feel is full but very creamy with a satin like finish. I could drink this choc. milk all day.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Rouge's Chocolate Stout is a very unique and enjoyable beer, but one that you will either love or hate.

It pours inpenetrable black with a big brown head that gives off rich aromas that remind me of chocolate milk and malt balls. Full bodied with moderate carbonation, dark malt flavors and hop bitterness overpower an unsweetened dark chocolate background. Finishes dry and increasingly bitter as you approach the end of the bottle.

This is a substantial beer with a singular profile that's a standout.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on tap at Max's the other night.

The beer pours an impressive brooding black color with a creamy, coffee colored head. There is good head retention and lacing, and as already noted, the beer looks impressive. The nose is pretty complex on this beer, with obvious chocolate, but with some underlying citrusy bitterness. The beer really doesn't smell very malty and/or sweet, and as it turned out, it wasn't. On the palate this beer is pretty intriguing. On the initial taste the chocolate flavor is really in your face, but after that I didn't notice it so much. The chocolate, along with what sweetness there is, can be tasted on the front palate, but then the hops come on strong, leading to a very dry, somewhat citrusy bitter finish. Mouthfeel is pretty good, though it doesn't have the plush creaminess of Stone RIS, KBS or Dark Lord, to name a few. The beer finishes very nicely, and given the relatively low alcohol, I found the beer to be pretty drinkable. There is a touch of licorise and burnt toast at the very end, which is really the only detraction in this otherwise very impressive beer from Rogue.

Recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

22 oz bomber. Poured into a Delrium tulip.

A: Black. Opaque. Really opaque-ly black. 2 fingers of mocha-colored head that fades down to a sheet of bubbles, leaving a solid film of lace.

S: Semi-sweet baker's chocolate. Can't smell much else.

T: Roasty. Big hit of bitter-sweet chocolate. A drying hop astringency at the end.

M: A bit of a fake-out here. Starts big with all the roastiness, but peters out pretty quickly. The hop bitterness in the end cuts the mouthfeel down sharply.

D: It's good, but not blowing up my skirts. I think I liked the Hazelnut Nectar a bit more.

2.28/5  rDev -45.1%

Wow. No me gusta.

Pours an opaque black, thin light tan head. Surprisingly thin mouthfeel. Actually smells okay, nice and chocolatey.

Taste is milk chocolate, maybe a bit of roasted malt (the chocolate is completely overwhelming), and a horrible, horrible bitter after-taste. It's actually giving me a stomach ache. I don't know what it is, but the sensation I'd describe is that it is like drinking burnt, bitter chocolate in liquid form. Oddly enough, this is layered over an increasingly cloying chocolate sweetness.

I drainpour a beer basically never (Samuel Adams Triple Bock being the other example I can think of). A good third of this puppy went right down the sink.

4.11/5  rDev -1%

A- Pours a brown black hue, head is a brown pillowy layer that is mostly sustaining and bouncy, thick lacing on the glass
S- Nose is big roasted chocolate and coffee malts, strong backbone of subtle hops and alcohol, there is a something a little off at the end but I cant place it
T- Initial taste is moderate roasted coffee malts, which quickly transitions to sweet milk chocolate which pervades the flavor, touch of smoke and roast in the bittersweet finish
M- Full-bodied, thick and chewy texture, ample carbonation
D- Well-balanced and smoothly sweet stout, i would have preferred a little less coffee so that the chocolate could have come through a bit more, easy-drinking at 6%, good for a treat in small quantities

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

This is an excellent Chocolate Stout. My cat likes it so I know this to be true. She drinks a little drop from my finger and if she licks her lips, I know it's good!

I poured from a bottle into my new Rogue goblet provided by my wife as a Christmas gift. The apperance is dark, definitely a little thicker than average beer, with a dark coffee color.

The smell was not strong, but it was nice. It had a nice aroma of Chocolate, but I could certainly smell some hops in there too.

The taste was perfect. I'm not even a fan of chocolate and this was delightful. It was not overwhelmingly chocolate, but definitely a hint under the hops and malt.

It was a little thicker than some other beers, but not like a Guiness. It was not as thick as milk. That was nice, because darker beers tend to be a bit heavier and this was not too heavy to drink the full 22 oz. bottle in one setting.

This was quite drinkable. As I mentioned I didn't have any problem finishing the full bottle and a full meal. I would recommend this to anyone who likes fine beers.

Overall, this is a great beer. I will definitely stock this in my personal stock on a regular basis.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

This is an excellent stout. I am beginning to fall in love with chocolate stouts.

Rogue continues to impress me with their brews. I really enjoyed this one.

The chocolate aroma was delightful even before I took my first sip.

The flavor is almost uncomparable. I drank this before a Southern Tier Choklat to decide which one I liked more.

The 6% is kinda weak but makes this beer very drinkable. I prefer the Choklat but this is hands-down my second favorite choc. stout.

You gotta try this one. Keep up the good work Rogue!

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This is by far the best chocolate stout I have tried to date. (keep in mind that these reviews are off notes from long ago and my palate is much different now than then) The chocolate flavor is smooth and perfect as far as I am concerned. If there is another one out there that is better, I can’t wait to try it. As far as appearance goes it is dark brown with a thick head.

black with a tan head that didn't hold as well as i was hoping, but did have pretty good staying power, and left great lace. nose was bittersweet dark chocolate, coffee, and hops. taste was just what the nose suggested, and was fairly well balanced, but the hops stood out just a little too much for my taste in a chocolate stout. nice, full body, with a little bitter finish. i believe this is a must try for a chocolate stout fan, and it won't leave you dissapointed.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Picked up a bomber at the store.

Pours a solid black with a thick fluffy tan head that stuck around for most of the experience. Initially the smell was all citrus hops, but as it warmed a bit I started getting some chocolate and some coffee. As I write this the chocolate is taking over, smells like hershey's special dark. There is a roast bitterness in the taste, but I think some of that bitterness comes from the chocolate as well. I once homebrewed a chocolate stout with pure cacao nibs, and this has that taste that I got. Taste has some hops in it as well as that silky chocolate taste. Mouthfeel gets better as it warms, I initially thought it a bit thin. Great brew, I'm glad I chose it today.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Served on-tap in a tulip during my visit at the Sunset Grill & Tap, on to the beer:

I got very little head in my glass and little lacing, but the body is pitch black and intiminating. The smell is extremely inviting, lots of sweet milk chocolate. From the aroma, I was guessing I would be drinking a chocolate shake, but my minor complaint is you can only taste the chocolate towards the end of the sip. It starts out like a stout, roasted bitterness and coffee, before you get to the gold, which is the chocolate. Despite the thick appearance, it goes down easy. I can't say I was dissapointed, I just was expected a different journey in the taste.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

The stout pours black with thin tan head, quickly dissipates into a ring. The nose is chocolate and coffee. Dark chocolate. At first taste the coffee seems stronger to me than the chocolate. Coffee bean, chocolate and some toffee. a bit of smoky flavor but not much. mouthfeel is a little thin, but sufficient. Drinkability is quite high. A smooth drink. a good one from rogue.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Opaque black with a mocha brown head that dissipates to a layer of foam. Not a lot of lacing but it might be my new glass. The first aroma is chocolate, not chocolate malt but chocolate bar chocolate. Who doesn’t like that aroma? Tastes like chocolate and oats with a wonderfully hoppy bitter finish. Myself, I don’t detect the citrus aroma of the cascade hops that I know (from reading the label) are in there. Bitterness - yes ; citrus – no. Mouthfeel is thin and clean with enough carbonation to be refreshing. Overall a great beer, if you haven’t tried yet and intend to, you are in for a treat.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

22 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice rich dark brown color with a dark brown head that stays for a while.

S - Nice rich chocolate scents.

T - Nice chocolate flavor, a little thin.

M - Good flavor and medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer, good flavor, best chocolate stout second only to Brooklyn's black chocolate stout.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Smells of rich chocolate. Tastes every bit as good. Pours rich, dark thick, with a nice tan foamy head and very nice even lacing.

I had this in a bottle as well as on tap. Either way you can’t go wrong, but if you can find this on tap anywhere, that is the preferred way to go. Just an awesome beer and one I can drink over and over again.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a complete black with brown particles and 1 1/2 finger light brown head. Smell is woody slight smokey with chocolate bitterness and hop infusion. Very complex smell. Taste has a slight smooth chocolate taste with a very nice hop bitterness that compliments it very well. Mouth feel is a little thin, but thicker than a porter, so it passes with a 4.5. Drinkability is definately a 5. I could and will definately seek this chocolate stout again. A definate ace in my book.

22oz bomber poured into SA glass

A: dark black with a two + finger tan head

S: chocolate all the way, rich chocolate aroma and oatmeal hidden in there as well

T: Ditto smell. chocolate, oats and a hint of vanilla

M: full body with a creamy texture

D: very drinkable. Too bad I split the bomber with my wife, I could have another.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales