Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

135º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 4,226 |  Reviews: 1,918
4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Poured from the 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is black. when held to a light it's still black. The pour produces a large, foamy, brown head nearly two inches thick. The head never really dies, falling to a solid cover on the liquid leaving lots of lace. One of the prettier beers I have seen, it also helps that I like the "dark" beers and go for the black look.

Smell: What else would you expect from a chocolate stout but lots of chocolate and roasted malts aromas. Some decent hops aromas are buried within as well.

Taste: What can I say but this beer suits me. I like'em big and malty with planty of roasted malts and a touch of hop bitterness on the finish. This beer delivers. Not sweet at all, (I would even say it is a bit bitter) with just enough chocolate flavors but not overbearing. A great stout.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth and creamy. Full bodied , a touch chewy. Limited alchohol, if it wasn;t so filling this could be a decent sessioner because it is so good.

Drinkability: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. The End. What more does there need to be said? Close to a perfect 5, IMO.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bomber pours a near opaque black with a fair amount of floaties, and more than adequate tan head and lacing. Aroma reminds me a lot of Whoppers (hmm, chocolate covered malted milk ball - makes sense). Taste is chocolately, with faint coffee and smoke flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth - this almost drinks too fast. I'm usually a bit of a purist when it comes to flavored beers but this one is very well done!

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

Deep, dark black-brown body with a huge cake-like head. A thing of supreme beauty!

Nose is bittersweet chocolate. Yummy.

Flavor is all bittersweet chocolate. Smooth and tasty, with a healthy helping of hops. Some of the bitterness undoubtably comes from the hops, but it blends so well with the chocolatiness that it is hard to tell. Great stuff.

Mouthfeel is medium. Not as thick as I prefer, but it carries a little creaminess along and coats well.

Drinkability is tops. This is one of those brews you have that immediately spawns all kinds of ideas for cool and harmonious applications.

Rogue Chocolate Stout:
In a black and tan.
With ice cream.
In a milkshake,
you get the idea...

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This one pours a black with a tan head that sticks around for awhile. You can pour this one so the head stays with you for the entire beer, I find that this gives a nice aroma to the glass. The smell is of pure chocolate, sweet and inviting. It is like melted chocolate in a glass. The taste is similar, very sweet, straight chocolate, even with the heavy chocolate taste this beer is balanced so you do not get sick of it by the last sip. The mouthfeel is great, smooth and rich. I always find that I could have a couple more after the first. Every time I have had this beer it has always impressed me. An excellent brew that everyone should check out. Enjoy!

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

22 oz. bottle into glass.

A: Pours black with a larger than expected 4 finger brown bubbly head. This beer has really good lacing.

S: Chocolate and smoky maltiness.

T: Crisp and deep unsweetened chocolate and coffee flavors with unsweetened bowl of oatmeal flavor. Little bit of a hop bitterness that balances this beer out really well. Finishes nice and dry.

M: Really good. Creamy and nicely bodied.

D: This beer goes down really nicely, and isn't as "stout" as its name might suggest.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

22oz brown bomber -> imperial pint
no date

Pours black with a huge tight thick, more brown than tan, head that seems to be depositing chunks of brown lace down the glass. Appears to be well carbonated as bubbles climb the side of the glass after each sip.

Nose: Roasted chocolate, faint wisp of alcohol, sweet candy like dark fruits, toasted molasses, coffee beans. Citrus from hops emerges as the brew breathes.

Slick creamy delicious mouth. Not quite chewy but definitely thick. Malts dominate along with a silky chocolate. Bittersweet bitterness leaves a slightly chalky feel in the mouth, and barely balances the thick sweetness.

A great brew that stands up to its moniker and reputation.

2.44/5  rDev -41.2%

I, as well as a handfull of reviewers out of hundreds, found dissapointment in this beer.

The body is black with a dark mahogany tint when held by a light. The head is brown, but it looks thin like when pouring and MGD. Head fades quickly as suspected.

I found the chocolate smell to be overpowering. Right away you know what you're getting into with this beer. It is a smell of bitter chocolate, and not chocolate malts either. We're talking just ground from the cocoa bean chocolate, not sweet. I later read the ingredients on the bottle, which is a nice touch I must say, but I was dissapointed in "chocolate flavoring". Flavoring? So, really they mean a chocolate flavored syrup, am I right? I do hope that there is no high fructose corn syrup in this beer.

Once again I find the chocolate taste completely overpowering. I don't taste any coffee, toffee, or burnt nodes of flavor...just chocolate flavoring.
I do believe I bought this beer to taste, well, beer instead of a masking chocolate taste. It finishes with an oat bitterness that is better than the beer when in mid-swig.

Oats and barley help out in this department. Whether the oats are used as an adjunct to improve the mouthfeel or it's actually part of the intended flavor, I do not know. What I do know is that for a stout it was pretty average with the oats and co. helping to just make the deadline.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the chocolate taste is just too bitter and overbearing. I'm suspicious of the "flavoring", but happy that they printed it so I could think about it in the first place. Points for honesty. I won't have another of these for a very long time if I can help it. I would much rather have a Young's Double Choc. Stout (in the bottle, not can). They probably use flavoring, too, but I feel it is done much better.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.9/5  rDev -6%

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

bomber shared with my gf. snifter.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a thin cap of sudsy, tan foam. head calms slowly, leaving thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - cocoa powder, sourdough bread, grassy hops.

t - cocoa powder with an herbal bitterness that totally dominates the flavor profile. has an off putting chemical aftertaste that gets really nasty as the beer warms, i'm assuming from the added flavoring.

m - full bodied with lots of carbonation. finer co2 profile.

o - meh. would be enjoyable if it weren't for the weird chemical flavors. one of the few beers i have ever drainpoured. probably won't be buying anything from rogue again.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

another great beer from Rogue!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Pours black with a solid two finger tan head that has excellent retention and beautiful lacing.
S-The aroma has a pronounced toasted oat note to it with some dark chocolate syrup and a very sweet caramel aroma. I can tell this is gonna be sweet and it smells like dessert.
T-Oh my goodness! It's truly like drinking the chocolate truffles rolled in quality cocoa powder I made with some left over gonosh I had, but in liquid form! This is delish! A perfect dessert beer for sure. And there are some earthy hops in the flavor as well along with a perfect bittereness to keep it from being too sweet. WOW
M-The mouthfeel is so balanced as far as dryness and sweetness goes. It has a medium to full body and very creamy because of the oats.
O-I fully enjoyed this beer and is probably the only Rogue beer I would buy again because of their high prices, (not flavor) most of their beers are way over priced, but this one is worth every penny for sure. When I go to a friends house, I'm bringin' this one for dessert. Such a well done chocolate beer. Thanks Rogue for this offering

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Pours dark brown and opaque. Some hints of cola show around the edges of the glass. Head topped out at one inch and stuck around for longer than expected. The lacing left behind was nice.

S - Smokey roasted malt aromas come through first but do not dominate. Quickly behind are notes of maple and dark chocolate. Even though the chocolate comes in midway, it steals the show and sticks around once it shows up. Overall the aroma is mild and pleasing.

T - Chocolate. Dark and bitter at first but a smoother milk chocolate comes in later. Behind the chocolate lay some roasted malt and a hint of smoke. Finishing off the flavor was a small amount of alcohol and coffee.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. Silky feel. Finsh is bittersweet, clean, and does not stick around for long.

D - Drinkability is good. The beer is a good example of how to showcase the chocolate flavor. I would gladly have more of this one. The alcohol is relatively low which makes is disappear even faster.

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales