Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

Ratings: 4,226 |  Reviews: 1,918
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer bought from a draft pub, looks like a stout. It is black with a half inch enduring head in a pint glass. The body is clear but opaque, and there is foamy lacing left as you drink it. The aromas are chocolatey and hoppy, but the taste and result is not really a stout. This beer is really an IPA in stout's clothing. A chocolate IPA I should think, not so much a chocolate stout. The finish is long and bitter, which is just fine if you enjoy IPAs as I do. The mouthfeel is a little weak, the alcohol punch substantial, and I don't feel like I've actually just drunk my thrice daily bread. I still prefer my Guinness.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

They have this on tap at Taco Mac in Roswell, GA. It 's a great stand alone beer but I usually have one at the end of the night after I have a good IPA or porter. The aroma is is the first to hit you and then the taste is very smooth. They also have it in a large bottle but the draft is better.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

Outstanding! Had many chocolate stouts and this one takes the cake. Rich, black color with 2 finger lasting head. Creamy mouthfeel and very chocolaty taste. The only negative was a somewhat weak smell, but as far as stouts go, the smell is pleasant. Could drink this one all day.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

A - As the beer pours into the glass from the 22 oz bottle, it forms a nice dark brown head very rapidly. The beer itself is pitch black in color, and as you sip this beer, it leaves a very nice lacing behind in the glass. This is one of the best looking beers Ive ever seen.

S - I am getting a slightly roasted smell, followed by the chocolate. Overall it smells very good, theres not a huge chocolate aroma like I was expecting but the chocolate is definitely present.

T - Wow, this beer has a VERY nice chocolate taste, but not in a gimmicky way, like some of the other chocolate stouts Ive had. When I think of A chocolate stout this is how I picture it tasting. Besides the chocolate taste, it also has a roasted quality to it, plus a tasty hop bitterness at the end. The chocolate flavor is great, but more importantly its balanced perfectly with the hop bitterness, and roasted flavors.

M - This beer has a very thick mouth feel, and it goes down nice and smooth. I enjoy beers that tend to have a nice full body like this one.

D - Personally I think the beer is highly drinkable, just because it taste so great. It may have a full body, and be a dessert beer, but I can see myself drinking 4 of these bottles in one sitting. Sure I would probably pass out in a drunken mess, and have nightmares of chocolate bars with arms and legs, beating my ass with Rogue Chocolate Stout bottles, but in the end its all worth it for the delicious choc-a-riffic taste.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

poured this from a bomber into a "drink vermont beer" pint glass. had a nice tan 2 finger head that receded to about a quarter inch. not very aromatic, but black as night. feel is good, medium bodied for a stout in my opinion. the taste is what really gets me. it tastes like a chocolate milk with far more chocolate than necessary. its fantastic. but really all chocolate and quite delicious definitely a chocoholics dream.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A:Dark creamy head. Head lasted from top to tail with a nice lace.

S:Chocolate aroma , light almost non existant hops

T:Very light chocolate...more coffe flavor

M:Smooth, rich , full.

D:Very drinkable, but how many stouts can you drink before your full!!

4.44/5  rDev +7%

22-ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark body with a three-fingered tan head. Rentention is fair with some rings left around the glass as the foam subsided.

S: A wonderful sweet chocolate smell with hints of coffee. I was taking a whiff of it before every sip I had.

T: Bitter, chocolatey taste, although no where near as sweet as the smell. Smelling the beer with a sip in my mouth is just fantastic. A nice roasted coffee aftertaste.

M: A creamy mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation followed by a dry finish.

D: I could definitely down many of these. I'll be buying it again.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Dark brown, almost black in color. Thick, light brown head with good lacing

S: thick, malty smell, with slight hop aroma

T: malty with good hop balance. very nice smooth taste. great chocolaty aftertaste

M: Smooth, somewhat viscous. nice smooth carbonation

O: great stout, one of my favorites.

Stouts are my style of choice. Being a home brewer, I thought I would try a few 22 oz. bottled brews this weekend for a couple of reasons. First, try something new. Second, invest in some larger bottles for home brew that will cut down on my bottling time.
I have tried some of the other Rogue styles in the past and have not been overly impressed but when I tried the Rogue Chocolate Stout I was blown away. In review, I do not know how this brew can be improved. I have purposely stayed away from some of the other Rogue styles in the past but chocolate stout is a home run.
Rogue, you have changed my mind. Now my quest to emulate this brew at home begins.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Pours a thick, rich liquid that's more impenetrably blackish brown than any other beer I've seen. Brownish head is not much but extremely dense and slow to dissipate

Smell: Chocolate hits at the forefront but it's right alongside some slight oatmeal/coffee smells like those that are common with porters.

Taste: Absolutely amazing taste from the very second it hits your lips. Immense mouthfeel, and generally just one of the richest taste profiles I've ever had in a chocolate stout. It's chocolatey beyond belief but also balanced with just about everything I love about stouts/porters being at least slightly involved in the mix here. A bit of coffee, a bit of oatmeal, a bit of caramel, but still chocolate is at the center here. Everything else plays a huge role though, and it just feels creamy and rich as anything here. It's very powerful in its level of chocolate, the density and power of its taste, the chocolate taste, the way the other flavors influence but never overwhelm... I seriously just want to keep taking huge gulps of this. It's insane. There's not much to be said about the flavor changing much throughout the swallow, it's pretty much just a richly accented chocolate stout through and through, but the chocolate flavor definitely does develop from biting cocoa to chocolate milk to dark chocolate bitterness throughout its mouthful, and there's a slight coffee taste that shows up and lingers on the back-end. I personally think it's an all-around perfect beer, but I feel like the taste and mouthfeel at least are undeniably perfect for a stout.

2.36/5  rDev -43.1%

This is a big bottle of bitter stout without any chocolate that I noticed. I tasted maybe a hint of coffee.
What I look for in a chocolate stout is chocolate and stout. If you're looking for the same, you'd probably be disappointed. Some very chocolate beers are Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and Lucky Girl Chocolate Dopplebock.

I surmise they used some very bitter dark chocolate in this brew.

Big bottle of awful.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazing look, great head, very dark. The flavor is great i love the overwhelming chocolate flavor and lingering taste in the back of your mouth. There is a slight bitterness at the end but the sweetness comes through.

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales