Chocolate Stout | Rogue Ales

Ratings: 4,244 |  Reviews: 1,922
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

One of my favorites!

Rogue Chocolate Stout is big on taste. Chocolate and coffee flavors burst forth as soon as you begin to pour. They loom even larger as you drink.

A little too powerful to be enjoyed all the time, this stout is best imbibed at the end of a hearty meal -- perhaps before (or during) dessert!

Unfortunately, this beer is quite difficult (at least in NJ) to track down -- damn!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

I tried this beer alone and mixed with two other Rogue Beers. Alone it was delicious, robust with chocolate taste, and had a tight finish. I was told by a bartender to try it combined with a Rogue Chipotle Ale to make a mole black and tan, which was phenominal. I ordered another Chocolate Stout later and combined it with a Rogue Hazelnut Ale which was like liquid truffles, it was awsome. I had alot of fun with this beer.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Presentation: Standard 1p 6 fl oz bottle, poured into glass slightly shorter and wider than a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a heavy dark brown. A surprising amount of carbonation without truly forming a head. Very little lace at first, and once head settled, there was none.

Nose: Toasty, with notes of coffee and, yes, chocolate.

Taste: Rich malt, with toasted flavors, both chocolate and coffee. A very slightly sweet finish is followed by a slightly bitter after taste, but in a positive way, which reminds me that I am drinking a toasty stout.

Mouth Feel: Surprisingly carbonated and light, compared to other stouts (in my opinion). Early in the bottle the carbonation was cloying, but dissipated later in the bottle, possible as the beer warmed.

Drinkablilty: Quite delicious. I liked it more and more as I finished the bottle.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

I first starting drinking the Rogue after I moved in with my roomate and he collection the Rogue bottles and I have always wanted to try them after reading the describitions on the bottles. Its a great stout, its dark, creamy head, can seriously tatse the chocolate. Could drink it again and again.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Served in a pint glass via 22 oz bomber; gift from @bgramer

Appearance: Nice, thick black pour, toasty head.

Smell: Heady milk chocolate aroma

Taste: Bitter chocolate and coffee, strong tart aftertaste lingered in the roof of my mouth. Beer holds true to it's name, tons of chocolate - similar to a piece of whopper candy. This beer really came alive when paired with truffles. Yum.

Mouthfeel: Big mouthful of chocolate and malt.

Drinkability: Nice, drinkable beer. Can't see drinking more than a few, but very tasty.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz bomber poured into standard pint glass.

This is a beautiful looking beer, dark and robust with a wonderful tan/brown head. The beer pours smooth, and look wonderful as it exits the bottle, almost a molasses type of look as the liquid is poured into the glass.

The first note on the smell is chocolate, a bitter dark chocolate, in vein of a baker's chocolate. It hits your nose immediately, and you can tell this is a real chocolate stout, there aren't chocolate notes, it's pure real chocolate in your nose. I also could smell a faint citrus of hops, and even some mocha style coffee in the nose as well. A fantastic smelling beer.

Once this beer hits your tongue the chocolate hits you right in the face, it's like the woman on the label served you this beer freshly and once the liquid hits your tongue she clinches a bar of chocolate and punches you in the face. A dark, bitter, chocolate is extremely apparent, also mixing with slight coffee roastyness, and I even got a little toffee upfront. The back of this beer is what really separates it, and that's the undeniable bitterness. This stout has 69 IBU's and for a reason, it perfectly balances out that sweet hit in the face at the front of the mouth, with an amazing hop bitterness at the back. Very slight citrus, piney-like hops were tasted at the finish. What a perfect way to end a tasty brew.

Chocolate upfront and hops in the back, and then the chocolate lingers on in your mouth, begging you to drink even more. The mouthfeel is exceptional, I would have liked a bit more bitterness at the back, but this is still a great balance, it's not overly sweet, but not overly bitter at the same time. Carbonation is very mild, and you can be generous with your sips, but I don't think you'd want to, as this beer is meant to be savored.

Drinkability is fairly high, the addictive taste and hop bitterness leaves you begging for more as I said, but it is apparent how heavy this beer can be, so a 22 oz bomber is perfect for me in one sitting.

There aren't too many horrible things I can say about this beer, it still remains one of my favorite stouts I have tried so far, and one of my favorite beers I have tried in my short life. The only real compliant I would have is the price, it's about 6 bucks where I live for a 22 oz bomber, however I do admit it IS worth the price in taste, but my wallet can't take much more!

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Pours dark; like a liquid dark chocolate bar (pretty opaque in nature in which you're unable to see light penetrate through)-- the head is a creamy tan color with good retention

S: Earthy oats with chocolate undertones

T/M: Tastes like it smells; bitter chocolate with a smooth mouth feel-- molasses-like even. Covered my palate really well.

O: Paired extremely well with some dark chocolate almonds I was eating with; great dessert drink that's for sure. My uncle asked me whose drink *this* was; I offered a taste; he said it was good; I offered the rest to him and he took me up on my offer. Good stuff!

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Chocolate + Beer, does it get any better than that! This beer is easy to drink, very smooth. For me there was no bitter after taste. By the end of the beer it did get warm and was not as tasty as it was first opened, nice and cold. I do like Stouts a little heavier than this one. But all in all I very much enjoyed it and would buy it anytime!

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance- Pours dark as cola syrup out of the bottle. Put right up to a halogen bulb its hue is impenetrable. If you dont watch what your doing you could end up with a 5 inch head.

Smell- The smell of this beer is probably its best attribute, caramel, cream and chocolate come across quick and smooth.

Taste- The taste is the same as the smell with this beer, except it comes through very quickly, as if a massively complex array of malty chocolate flavors are packed into a microsecond, after which those flavors quickly give way to a bitterness that remains.

Overall- This beer smells like... heaven... I mean the delicate balance of malt, sugar and creamy chocolate is incredible. However, the taste of the beer is comparatively average in my opinion. All that wonderful flavor is overwhelmed with a bit too much bite for my taste. The Hazelnut Brown Nectar is the exact opposite, not as rich or full of a smell, but a much smoother finish. Id recommend that over the chocolate stout any day.

1.56/5  rDev -62.4%

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer bought from a draft pub, looks like a stout. It is black with a half inch enduring head in a pint glass. The body is clear but opaque, and there is foamy lacing left as you drink it. The aromas are chocolatey and hoppy, but the taste and result is not really a stout. This beer is really an IPA in stout's clothing. A chocolate IPA I should think, not so much a chocolate stout. The finish is long and bitter, which is just fine if you enjoy IPAs as I do. The mouthfeel is a little weak, the alcohol punch substantial, and I don't feel like I've actually just drunk my thrice daily bread. I still prefer my Guinness.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

They have this on tap at Taco Mac in Roswell, GA. It 's a great stand alone beer but I usually have one at the end of the night after I have a good IPA or porter. The aroma is is the first to hit you and then the taste is very smooth. They also have it in a large bottle but the draft is better.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

Outstanding! Had many chocolate stouts and this one takes the cake. Rich, black color with 2 finger lasting head. Creamy mouthfeel and very chocolaty taste. The only negative was a somewhat weak smell, but as far as stouts go, the smell is pleasant. Could drink this one all day.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

A - As the beer pours into the glass from the 22 oz bottle, it forms a nice dark brown head very rapidly. The beer itself is pitch black in color, and as you sip this beer, it leaves a very nice lacing behind in the glass. This is one of the best looking beers Ive ever seen.

S - I am getting a slightly roasted smell, followed by the chocolate. Overall it smells very good, theres not a huge chocolate aroma like I was expecting but the chocolate is definitely present.

T - Wow, this beer has a VERY nice chocolate taste, but not in a gimmicky way, like some of the other chocolate stouts Ive had. When I think of A chocolate stout this is how I picture it tasting. Besides the chocolate taste, it also has a roasted quality to it, plus a tasty hop bitterness at the end. The chocolate flavor is great, but more importantly its balanced perfectly with the hop bitterness, and roasted flavors.

M - This beer has a very thick mouth feel, and it goes down nice and smooth. I enjoy beers that tend to have a nice full body like this one.

D - Personally I think the beer is highly drinkable, just because it taste so great. It may have a full body, and be a dessert beer, but I can see myself drinking 4 of these bottles in one sitting. Sure I would probably pass out in a drunken mess, and have nightmares of chocolate bars with arms and legs, beating my ass with Rogue Chocolate Stout bottles, but in the end its all worth it for the delicious choc-a-riffic taste.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

poured this from a bomber into a "drink vermont beer" pint glass. had a nice tan 2 finger head that receded to about a quarter inch. not very aromatic, but black as night. feel is good, medium bodied for a stout in my opinion. the taste is what really gets me. it tastes like a chocolate milk with far more chocolate than necessary. its fantastic. but really all chocolate and quite delicious definitely a chocoholics dream.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A:Dark creamy head. Head lasted from top to tail with a nice lace.

S:Chocolate aroma , light almost non existant hops

T:Very light chocolate...more coffe flavor

M:Smooth, rich , full.

D:Very drinkable, but how many stouts can you drink before your full!!

Chocolate Stout from Rogue Ales