Santa's Private Reserve Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO

Ratings: 2,339 |  Reviews: 1,197

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - clear, rusty-copper with an one finger cream head. Moderate lacing

S - Toasted malt, dough/yeast, with faint hints of citrus.

T - Malt, touch of caramel, toast with just a touch of bitterness.

M - Medium body with good carbonation. Nice and smooth on the palate with just a touch of bitterness on the finish

O - A very enjoyable Ale. Straightforward and quite drinkable. I'll be keeping my eye out for this next year at this time.

Enjoyed in a pint glass

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

This pours really well and looks great, crimson color and two and half fingers worth of head. The head stays around for a couple minutes so you can properly enjoy the appearance of the beer. There's a complete lack of lacing on the bottle, but that happens. This smells like an IPA, all I'm really getting from the nose is grapefruit, hops. It tastes like an IPA as well. There's some notes of other spices present, but I really get the full effect of the multiple hops as the main characteristic in the taste. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I really like the flavor. It's balanced well, not overpowering and just kind of an unique taste. I could see myself picking one of these up every year around Christmas time. Maybe two.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

From Notes: 12/12/08

Appearance=Aggressive pour into New Belgium snifter leaves a fat 3 finger head, which slowly dissipates into 2 fingers. Plenty of carbonation. Dark Opaque brown/red beer.

Smell= good. nothing steps out though.

Taste= Hops, pine. Finish = good toasty malts

Mouthfeel= very nice.

Drinkability= high. I love you Santa!

RJ

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a frosted pint glass.

Poured a dark amber with a 3 finger creamy head that lasted about 2 minutes...good lacing down the whole glass.

Aroma was of hops and malt.

Taste was of hops but not overly hoppy like a good IPA. There was also a slight malt flavor with a slight nutty finish...good tasting.

This was a good tasting ale not as hoppy as I like but good tasting non the less.

I do wish they would put a date on the bottle also.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Santa's the man....Rogue is treating him well!!!

Very nice deep reddish amber color, very light on the carbonation. Aroma is sweet and floral with a hint of citris. Taste is a typical IPA at first, very nice hops with a hint of fruitiness. The hops on the back end are distictive and have a nice bitterness that lingers a good long while. Overall a great Christmas brew!

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed from the bomber in a Liefmans snifter. This holiday ale pours a bright ruby red with a tenacious off white head that lingers long till dissipating to a thin layer and thick ring of foam with moderate lacing. Nose of spicy hops, sweet raisins and caramel, and an underlying earthy tone. Flavors follow the nose with a rich caramel and juicy hop notes that vies for dominance. Sweet raisins are noted in the background but are overtaken by the bittering hops. Light carbonation to moderate carbonation and a smooth mouth feel finishes wet and bitter. Remember past years being a bit sweeter, but then again only have this once a year. Reminiscent of a red Mogul ale which is an awesome brew. Improves a lot with warmth. Nice.

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%

The beer pours a deep burnished copper color, the head is gargantuan in size, frothy in texture, the lace in thick sticky sheets to smother the glass and both a light tan color. Nose is citrus, hop floral, malt under tones and quite a “Sniffer”. Front is sweet malt, the top slender, the finish is strikingly hop spicy, pleasantly acidic, droughty aftertaste. Good drinkable beer for the “Hop Heads” in the audience, and well worth a sample. Ranks #361 on my current 1000 beer master list.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer for a little while now and when I saw it i thought I should take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it goes well with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy orange amber color that took on more of a ruby amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy and bubbly tan head that died down down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patching rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart some citrus rind and floral hops aromas with some earthy and grassy hops showing up in the aroma. Up next comes some of that pacman yeast that kind of has a distinctive aroma and it's followed by the malts which impart a slightly grainy, bready, light sweet malt and doughy aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, it had good balance between the malts and the hops.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops showing up first and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there's no single aspect that sticks out the most. Up next comes the pacman yeast that leads right into the malts which impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the doughy malts seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just a little into the aftertaste along with some doughy malt and earthy hop flavors. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, it was very true to style and the balance was nice.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a good example of the style it had pretty much everything that I look for in the style along with the nice balance that I expect from a good Red Ale. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a couple of these and I think it makes for a nice change from the typical Winter Warmers. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style it was and the balance, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that more of those citrus rind hop aspects that I got in the aroma showed up in the taste. I would buy this beer again and I'm pretty sure I'll get a couple bottles when it's released next year. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Red Ales, it does a good job at representing the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, there was nothing fancy about it, it was just a good and straightforward Red Ale and I enjoyed drinking it. It's up there as one of the better Rouge beers I've had and I think it's above average for the style. Good job guys this was a tasty Red Ale, keep up the solid work.

Santa's Private Reserve Ale from Rogue Ales