Santa's Private Reserve Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
26.75º L

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

4.1

Ratings: 2,350 |  Reviews: 1,201

Didn't really care fore this one - hoppy

2.02/5  rDev -46%

vintage 2011, unk bottle date.

A: ruddy copper with a finger of light yellow foam. this falls to a broken sheet of the same. spotty lace.
S: biscuit, butter, salty (oddly), some spice and noble, earthy hops.
T: malts, butter, spicy tones, not really appealing at all.
M: medium bodied with low on moderate carb. Semi dry finish.
O: Nothing special.

2.06/5  rDev -44.9%

I'm not sure why Rogue decided to change one of it's best offerings this year, but they did. What once was considered to be one of the better winter tastings is now an imposter. This year the offering is missing it's typical centennial hops.

Rogue has chosen to replace it with their own dare and freedom variations. You will also find changes in the malt used. The result is a beer that has lost it's trademark pine and spruce finish in favor of a hollow bitterness. One must ask themselves, why would Rogue change a beautiful thing?

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

Pour is transparent red with a light white dusting of head on top. Nose is heavy on the pine hops. Flavour is fairly standard Amber style, a soft malt underbody pairs with the hops from the nose, definite off-bite to the flavour which others have compared to mineral water, and which I am also getting. It is not a standard off-bite from the hops, it as a distinct edge...one which I don't particularly care for...it's borderline soap sudsy.

Mouth is average for the style, in terms of overall drinkability, I don't see myself picking this up again over other Ambers or hoppy PA beers that are available. It has a distinct bite, but that bite doesn't particularly appeal to me.

2.24/5  rDev -40.1%

I'm not usually a big holiday beer fan, to be honest, but my girl had picked up a six-pack of this for us to try, so...

Expected warmth, spices - got hop bitterness and a ton of spruce flavor. Not really my thing, but the more I've drank it, the more I've come to understand the spruce - it suggests the season in a different way than other holiday beers. I drank one with Thanksgiving dinner, and it fought with my food a little too much.

Overall, not something I'd have again or be eager to recommend - I suspect that the spruce might put off most of my more hopheaded friends.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.28/5  rDev -39%

I'm sorry, but this beer offered nothing to the Christmas dinner it was brought to. It was watery and lacking in flavor. It had very little smell. It did not compliment the food I was eating in any way. It was not refreshing or warming or palate cleansing or anything I would want out of a simple holiday dinner beer. If you are going to put Santa in your title, at least give me a little spice! It was, as the 65 IBUs suggest, somewhat bitter, but I like my bitter with some flavor before it. Perhaps I made the mistake of drinking this with dinner. Perhaps on its own it is better than my review suggests. Perhaps I am not refined enough to discern the flavor of "free range coastal water." Perhaps, no, definitely, compared to the other beers I have had in the past few days, it just did not rate.

2.32/5  rDev -38%

This one is not one of Rogue's best, Not much to this one. I had to re-axamine the label to make sure it was a Rogue beer and not an imposter.

A: Nice in appearance with a cloudy,copper red color. Appearance is the best thing about this ale.

S: Not much there. Maybe some fruity hops

T: Once again not much there. Just a bit of spice and citrus, totally dominated by the hops.

M: No body, dry

D: Drank the whole bottle but won't buy again.

2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

I just had Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve. It started off well; it had a good head that lasted a decent amount of time. I was a good amber color. The nose though had a lot of spruce and pine. The body and mouth feel was light. The taste was spruce and a lot of bitterness. Unfortunately the bitterness did not give up and overrides everything else. I had high hopes but I do not think I would try this again.

2.37/5  rDev -36.6%

2.38/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.42/5  rDev -35.3%

Same as the other recent negative reviews. No smell, bitter taste with no complimentary flavors, and "dull," as another poster aptly noted. The positive is its appearance - vibrant copper color w/ good lacing.

Surprising stratification among the reviews. I'm in Chicago - maybe we got a bad shipment?

2.43/5  rDev -35%

This has to be one of the most inferior beers from Rogue I have had. Not much to this one. Nice in appearance with a cloudy, red/purple color with a nice developiing head that stays around and leaves generous lacing around the glass. From here it goes downhill fast.

Smell is basically nonexistent. I smell some fruity hops. Not much maltiness, nothing special.

Taste is like sucking on a soap bar. Extremely astringent and bitter. Although it is only 44IBU, it tastes like 99.

Bitter mouthfeel, no body. Not good. Tempted to dump it down the drain but the USC Texas game is upcoming so I will painfully finish this one.

Santa's Private Reserve Ale from Rogue Ales