Santa's Private Reserve Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

10 Ingredients:
Carastan 30-37 & 13-17, Crystal 70-80 & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Chinook & Rogue Farm Revolution & Freedom Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
26.75º L

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

4.1

Ratings: 2,362 |  Reviews: 1,205

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Absolutely beautiful ruby color when held to the light. Massive frothy head to start which dissipates to a constant 1/2 cm. Good lacing...makes me smile.
The use of Chinook & Centennial hops give a piney, herbal aroma...and the distant sent of dark toast.
To me the first couple of sips are almost overpoweringly bitter. However, as the beer warms a bit, and my taste buds get acclimated, the beer opens up. The diacetyl and subtle malts start to show. There is a lot going on with this beer, but I think it's just a little too hoppy for this style. (especially for a Christmas ale)
Still a good beer.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

This is an unbeleivable amber ale, and it will become a staple of every winter season from now on. Nice and hoppy with grat malt taste. i wouldnt consider it a christmas beer more of a hoppy amber but still really tasty. YOU better watch out, you better think twice, cause Santa is coming to kick your ass with a tasty beer.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Picked this one out for tree decoration day. poured from a bomber into a plain old pint glass. Nice reddish amber color with a small head that fades quickly. Smell is pleasant with mostly hops coming through and touch of light caramel. Taste is quite hoppy with a nice sweet malt backing. This is a good one from rogue, tasty, and very drinkable.

2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

22 oz. poured into generic pint glass. Note: This bottle went crazy and fizzed over the top when I opened it. I hope it is ok.

Appearance: Dark ruby red/brown with one inch white head.

Smell: Earthy hop smell mixed with caramel sweetness. Not much else.

Taste: Similar to the smell but hoppier. Nice amount of bitter but the aftertaste is somewhat metallic and kind of ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, but not great either. Carbonation seems to be a bit too much, but then again my bottle did erupt when I opened it so who knows.

Drinkability: Not bad. I could probably put back a couple bombers.

Overall: I'm not a big fan of Rogue but I definitely went into this one objectively. I'm not a fan of this brew. Not enough going on for me and the metallic aftertaste is less than desirable. I might pick this one up again just to see if my bottle was bad, but probably not.

3.04/5  rDev -18.7%

The ale is a light amber color and isn't quite clear. Head retention isn't bad. It has that ocean foam look but has big bubbles, rather than fine ones. Lacing is strong at the top of the glass.

It smells... not really like it tastes. It smells nice and clean. It smells tame. It doesn't taste tame.

Thick, velvet mouthfeel. Not thick for a beer, but thick for velvet.

It tastes slightly spiced (not noticeable unless you're perceptive) and very bitter. I could be compared to an IPA with the pine taste, too. It's not very good. Too bitter

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a pint glass.

This is my first foray into amber/red ales, and if this is an accurate representation of the genre, then I would imply that it is an IPA that has a nice amber/red color as opposed to that hearty yellow; hence the name. I'm probably wrong, but in the end this tastes and smells like your standard IPA: lots of powerful hops and a hint of fruitiness. Many IPAs are much more complicated than that, but that's about as much as I get from this amber/red beer. The smell is very robust and I like it, but both the smell and taste are a bit too simplistic for my liking.

The appearance is fine for the most part, but anytime I use the words 'dirty' or 'murky' to discribe the look (as I would here), it's going to loose some points. I don't know, but I really find it unappealing that I could have gotten this out of an amber/red colored swamp. Still positive though. Nice head that dissapates at an average pace and lacing that vanishes faster than my Two-Hearted Ale review from this site. Mouthfeel fine (not watery and slight carbonation), drink fine (enjoyable enough for you to want to drink more). All in all a beer with positive attributes, but about as exciting as the first half of this sentence.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

4.46/5  rDev +19.3%

A wonderful holiday tradition. I now always pick up one of this to have on Christmas Day.

A - Huge foamy soft head with lacing. Dark chestnut brown in the glass.

S - Nice aroma of hops most notably. Background of some roastyness.

T - Nice hop flavor. Full range, seems dry hopped perhaps as it's quite flowery and fresh tasting. Some slight roastyness in the body. A more hoppy beer, but with some body and other flavors that emerge as it warms.

M - soft carb, dry, refreshing

D - Supreme. So easy to drink. Lovely hop balance with some other things going on, but nothing overwhelming and certainly not a heavy beer that you might expect from a wintertime seasonal.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Perfect to start off my Christmas drinking with an ale with Santa on the bottle. Poured into a pint glass out of a 650 mL bottle. Pours a deep, slightly cloudy mahogany with a finger and a half of frothy light tan head. Smells floral with citrus undertones and some hop bitterness hidden underneath. Taste is very hoppy. Leaves your mouth a little dry after each drink. Did I mention the hops? Definitely lots of cascade hops in this. Good ale but not what I expected from a winter ale. Expected something smoother and more boozy but still good. I don't think I could drink more than a few bottles considering the bitterness but overall another quality Rogue brew.

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

This brew poured a deep copper with cherry red hue and a thick cream head the left lacing down the sides of the glass. The smell was of flowery Hops, Alcohol and some darker fruits. The taste was dry and raw hops with a nice bitterness and sharp in your face kick. The alcohol was somewhat noticeable but blended well with a malt sweetness and some caramel notes. I hint of hop oils on the tail end but mellowed out very nicely. The mouthfeel was sharp at first, but left a sparkling feeling throughout and this brew had a medium drinkability ---- one bomber was good for me.

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%