Buckwheat Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by kbub6f on 08-12-2001

2.21/5  rDev -39.8%

I can't believe it. This must have been a bad bottle. I've loved everything else I've tasted from Rogue, but this is a complete disappointment. The color isn't bad; it's hazy, rather like a pumpkin-colored gemstone. But there's virtually no head, and what little there is fades almost immediately to a faint constellation in the middle of the glass. There is no lacing to speak of.

The smell, while not spectacular, is the best thing about this one. It's mild, hoppy, somewhat spicy, and slightly citrusy.

The taste is utterly underwhelming. It's astringent and slightly hoppy. Not a lot going on here. I am not impressed. I haven't had a mass-produced American amber beer in years, but I seem to remember it tasting about like this.

When I get a chance I will purchase another bottle; if, as I suspect, this was a bad one then I'll amend my review.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

Hey, what makes a good noodle, can make a good beer. But then, if you ask me, just about any plant on earth can be made into a good beer. This one's no exception.

Morimoto Soba pours out a rather average color, maybe a nice light tinged golden brown. As far as smell goes, it's almost non-existant. I really wish this one had more of a scent. After all, we're talking about the Iron Chef here.

As far as taste, it'd your pretty straight up generic ale flavor, with a strong bit of soba on the aftertaste. I'll freely admit, I'm a bit biased in this beer's favor. I love soba. I eat soba noodles every opportunity I get. I don't know why, they just always seemed to make the best noodles.

And it doesn't make a half bad beer either. I havn't yet tried Rogue's standard Buckwheat Ale, which I've read is very similar to this, but now I'm eager ot try it. This one's a good, quaffable beer!

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

This brew pours a nice clear lighter amber color--not too much of a head, and as it disappated, the bubbles were really interestingly large. The fragrance is a very nice and fresh scent. I can smell some hops and definitely can tell the buckwheat soba is in there.

As I tasted it, I noticed its unique soba taste was definitely present, but also very pleasant as well. The taste of the soba seems to hit more on the back of my throat. Just for kicks, I ate some habanero peanuts to see if I could still taste this beer and you bet I could!! This beer's flavor never "fell off" and continued to please me as I drank it. The mouthfeel was equally as enjoyable.

There are some of the more interesting beers that you just really know you can only drink one, but this is not one of them!! Try it if you can find it!

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours to a nice rocky head and hazy orange color. Aroma is mostly malty with a nice hop background. Flavor is dryish, fruity and malty with low bitterness and enough hop flavor to make it interesting. Finishes chalky/dry (but not too offensive) with lingering hop resins. A good West Coast brew.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

I love Buckwheat Ale, I hope Rogue only improved upon it with Soba…

Somewhat clear, peachy-blonde hue, white head of very modest size, a half finger in height, fades away slowly. Spotty lace. Faint nose, slightly yeasty with citrus hints and a ghost hint of mustiness coupled with flowery-bread… a touch more malty than Buckwheat it seems and a little cleaner too… still nice though. The palate is still lovely! Light toffee, citrusy hops in the middle quickly followed by the Soba (the label says it is “Roasted”?). A little yeastiness too… taste-wise it seems maltier than Buckwheat as well, a hint of nuttiness, musty… same low bitterness. It is very nice to quaff. Modest carbonation, ideal mouthfeel… the aftertaste is musty and a little sweet, bready. Yep, Rogue has done it again with Soba, it is a great beer… am I surprised? (No). Recommended.

Purchased in Des Moines, $4.00 (Bomber).

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

22 Oz. Bomber No Freshness Date

Morimoto pours a pale amber color with a full white head with carbonation laced throughout. Morimoto has a crisp buttery taste peppered with lemon grass undertones. Since soba is made with buck wheat it tastes extremely close to their buck wheat ale. Still very different and sets the palate for sushi or other Asian foods.

PAX

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

Murky light amber hue. Thick, dogged, ashen head leaves rough, frothy lace. Pleasant waft of earthy buckwheat with a toasted edge hits the nose upfront, then is ensued by mellow, spicy, kaffir lime like Crystal hop derived notes. Sweetness in aroma is of stately, butter tinged light lovibond caramel malt. Well rounded and appetizing aromawise, with a notch more character than the Buckwheat Ale. Balmy light toffee sweetness initially in flavor is ensued by a drying combination of a moderate, citrus zest like hop presence and complementing nutty, savory buckwheat. Hints of toasted grain emerge mid palate and meld with the buckwheat to lend a salty, whole grain biscuit impression. Moderate in body, with a very dextrinous, but softly viscous mouthfeel. Sweetness reemerges late in a butter caramelized hazelnut suggestion. Finishes cleanly sweet and citric, with hints of marmalade and croissant with almond filling. Soba is highly enjoyable, surprisingly complex brew with a pronounced buttery, multi - nut character. All is balanced by more than adequate hopping. Not the same brew as the Buckwheat ale to my palate.

22 oz. Bottle

Appearance: This beer was a bright, golden-amber in the glass. The head easily rose up to two fingers. It was almost white and very fluffy, disappearing quickly, but not too quickly. A few thick patches of foam stuck around for most of the drink and left some good lace behind.

Smell: The smell was very reminiscent of the Buckwheat Ale, but with just a bit more edge. There were big aromas of malt, nuts, and grains. Also present were some buttery, almost caramel-like smells. There was a hint of hops floating over the top, but its presence was really buried. Just like the Buckwheat, a great smelling brew.

Mouthfeel: A very buttery, coating beer. It was medium-bodied and fairly smooth, leaving just a little tingle on the tongue.

Taste: The taste was all grains, nuts, and malt up front. Then, on the finish, a light hops bitterness rises up, along with a strong diacetyl component.

I kept finding myself comparing this brew to the Rogue Buckwheat Ale. While they are very similar, I found this one to be a little sharper upfront and a lot more buttery on the finish. The grain flavors didn't seen as full and chewy as they do in the Buckwheat. For all I know, the recipe is exactly the same, but I think I prefer the Buckwheat. Just slightly, though :-)

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

This is apparently make with buckwheat a member of the rhubarb family.

It poured a cloudy lemon color with a filmy head.

Sublte chalky scents with a touch of honey on the nose.

I tasted toasted pine nuts and a bit of lemon peel. It had a decent amount of bitterness but felt a little watery on the tongue to me.

This one was nice enough and goes down real easy. Perhaps a beer for a hot summer day? Nothing offensive, just one I wouldn't seek out.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Apperance: Nice copper color with a frothy off-white head.

Aroma: Malty nose, slight hop notes, but mild.

Taste: Quite intriguing. Good spiciness (dill, maybe?) and some cedar or pine resin also present.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing. The soba gives an interesting resin character.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, especially if you want a departure from the ordinary. Not sure if I will try this one again.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

Incredible! Beer brewed with noodles. Can't wait for their next brew made from roasted turkey livers. What will our Rogue friends come up with next.

To their credit, I loved this beer! Golden hue with a slight brownish and reddish tints. One sniff led me to the sushi bar, complete with chopsticks and tuna sashimi. I smelled the beer and looked into my glass waiting to see noodles magically appear.

The head was thin and bubbled away in less than 30 seconds. The taste was a zesty lemon and ginger spice followed by that clear and distinct buckwheat soba flavor. A light beer with snappy and light mouthfeel, leading to bigger and bigger gulps until... darn, it's gone. I loved it.

I will definitely buy a few more bottles and enjoy them with some sushi, and of course, soba noodles.

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber. Pours amber with some gold. Plenty of chill haze. I don't get much of an aroma. First sip reveals a grassy flavor. Very creamy in body. Grassy tang. I tended to become numb to the slight unique tange half way through the bottle. Very subtle. Malty. Leaves somewhat dry aftertaste.

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

Pretty much a half-blind reiew since I had no idea what style this is. Poured a cloudy orangish color with a frothy white head. Smell is quite spicy almost hot to the nostrils. There is a good bready malt in the aroma as well. This is odd. Quite odd. There is strong prescence of a backyard garden this this beer. Lettuce & raddishes come to mind, although the flavors are not so pronounced. There is a decent hop charater here as well, but nothing too bitter. More of a crisp clean bite. The spice in this beer is probably something you either like or don't, and I'm not a big fan. It's pretty drinkable with a clean mouthfeel, but this taste is odd. Nothing too special here, but worth a shot.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - Serves up a nice, brownish/orange color with a nice, off-white head. Gives the impression of being a bit lighter, yet tasty.

Smell - An aroma of grains mixed in with a tad of fruits or even a flowery hint.

Taste - Very nice. Wheat, grains, and the hint of a sweet fruitiness mixed within. Not very heavy on the tongue, and not an overbearing aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Easy going down. A nice smooth entry through the entire sip. A good amount of carbonation, but not oo much. A great feel.

Drinkability - Good for a few, but may grow a tad old over a couple of hours. Definitely worth a try. Won't be for everyone, but the majority should enjoy this fine Rogue sampling.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Hazy golden-orange color with a decent white creamy head. Aromas of bread dough and grains(wheat?) tasty flavors of bread and flowers, medium bodied with a nice light and crisp mouthfeel, finishes with a slight sweetness, good carbonation and perfectly balanced, much better than I expected.

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Had this in the 22 oz. bottle at The Other Side Cafe. (so this is from notes)

Poured a deep clear golden color, with medium carbonation and a fluffy white head, that trailed down the sides of the glass. Nose was hoppy and floral. Lively on the tongue, crisp and clean tasting, medium body, with buckwheat hints in the malt. finish was slightly hoppy, and slightly bitter. drinkable, Oh yeah!

I've been waiting for these beers to make an appearance on the east coast, and I was very happy with this one.

3.57/5  rDev -2.7%

42% Malt, 45% Soba. The Japanese (Ezo) bottling of this beer.
Appearance - smallish white head (oh its already gone) on an orange body.
Aroma - Fruit seeds and light soba.
Taste - Black tea and hops. Good, but short flavor.
Mouth - smooth and creamy body.
Drink - This goes really quicky, and its low alcohol (2.9%) makes putting down many of them no worry.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

I have been anticipating this series for a while now, my store just got em in tonight. Came in a 22oz painted label bomber. Poured a clear golden color with a large, sticky white head that left lots of lace on the glass. Retention was medium-high. Aroma was slight, hops were the most obvious. I was surprise at how full bodied the mouthfeel was - awesome. The taste was interesting and unique - sort of a ginger taste throughout finshing with sharp and spicy hops. I am a sucker for original brews like this one, Rogue is one of the leaders as far as that goes. Delicious - it was like an IPA with a Japanese twist.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Aroma: Crispy hoppy smell with a nice sweet balance. Both the hops and malt come through nicely. The roasted buckwheat (listed on the side of the bottle) character adds some depth to the malt.
Appearance: Clear dark yellow with a slight head and active carbonation. Developed some chill haze and a plucky head struggled to maintain a presence.
Flavor: Excellent balance. Much like the smell, both hops and malt compliment each other for a complex, but clean taste. Some lemon notes but I was surprised to see this was a “fruit beer”. See Todd’s review for a great overview of the fruit Buckwheat.
Mouthfeel: Like all the Rouge’s I’ve had, rich creamy mouthfeel speaks to the quality work that went into this beer.
Overall Impression: Outstanding beer. Strikes a nice middle ground without being ordinary. Has character, but no pretence. I’ll be buying more of these.

3.56/5  rDev -3%

Think this is just the Buckwheat ale in a new bottle, but it does taste a little different so here goes.

Medium gold color, medium head. A medium bodied ale. Nice tasting mild malts. Mild flavorful hops. The soba adds a lot of body and smoothness to this beer. Malts are fruity and sweet. Hops are spicy. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Refreshing beer. Etched/painted beer bottle.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

This pours out a nice orange looking color, with a nicely formed white head on top. The aroma is a nice fruity, hoppy scent. The taste is a well balanced citrusy, lemony taste, with a nice hop accent. Grainy tones are present as well. This is a real nice beer, i would recommend giving it a shot.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Ah yet another Rogue to try and love. I will not I got this beer after they sampled it at the shop my wife works at and it was still good by the time it made it home to me, open for at least an hour. It was also a little warm, but I chilled it and it improved.

Poured a slightly hazey yellowish-orange with a decent white bubbly head. Fair lacing around the glass.

Aromas are very much wheat and dough with a twist. I imagine this is due to the Soba and my limited exposure to Soba. Not much malt aroma present if any at all.

The taste begins with sweet almost oat like wheat flavor. Very familiar, yet strangely unique. The "soba" flavor was followed by a slight caramel tinge with the usual Rogue hops. Medium to medium-light body that finishes very crisp and clean. A very nice lighter beer that would pair very well with food IMHO.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

The last available Rogue I had left to try, wondering until now what a Buckwheat Ale would taste like. Color is an off orange, far too dark to consider calling a deep golden. Moderate head poured white and dissipated quickly. I could only detect a light scent, not notable. It mouth feel and taste are both light and pleasant. Taste is unusual, a subtle grainy hint adds complexity and pleasure to the experience. I would drink again, though only after tracking down and experimenting with the Morimoto Soba.

I originally sampled this beer on 29 December 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This beer pours a clear dark yellow color.
Flavor: In your mouth, it hits you with a slightly roasted flavor. Overall, it's not bad but nothing spectacular. I would have it again if someone else was buying.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

i've never tried sushi (too scared of raw fish) or soba noodles, but i'm now much more inclined to do so. this was a great brew. seemed as if it would go well with just about any poultry or seafood based asian dish, but obviously would be paired best with the two i mentioned above. pours a slightly hazy orange/amber colour with a surprisingly decent head for a beer without much carbonation. the head had a nice tan tinge to it and dissolved to a lasting lace rather quickly. immediate smells included: spice, citrus, what, bread and noodles. the taste echoed this but had a bit more of a spice kick to it, i thought. definite noodle tate here though. quite different and quite cool. there was a bit of an overbitter aftertaste that i wasn't expecting, but nothing to complain about. i say it all the time, but this is yet another winner for rogue.

Buckwheat Ale from Rogue Ales