Hazelnut Brown Nectar

SCORE
Outstanding
Hazelnut Brown NectarHazelnut Brown Nectar
Notes: 13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L
Reviews: 1,505 | Ratings: 4,440 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

Poured into pint glass. Nice and rich dark color, good 1 inch head, but not long lasting. Nutty nose, more nutty taste. I wouldn't be able to blindly say it's hazelnut, but I'm not a nut guy. Malty/nutty is my thought. Smooth drinking, malt and darker finish on the back of the tongue lingers there for awhile. Really good, and certainly not like Newcastle or other weak (to me) browns.

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a brown color with a white-ish head.

So, the wife was eating cake ( I took a bite of the coconut and almond cream cake ) and then I took a sip of this beer and it was awesome ! As the cake flavor faded away and I got the beer flavor... this beer was a little light with the flavor and feel.

Ohknows from Nevada, Apr 12, 2020
4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can, packaged 7/25/19, into a tulip.

L: Pours a clear, deep ruby brown under a finger of tight tan foam. Mediocre retention, only a couple tiny spots of lacing. Nice color, but fairly forgettable.

S: Hazelnut is present but in the background, with rich malt dominating. Sweet, fruity, nutty, bready. More peanut butter than hazelnut as it warms, but always complex and enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose, with nutty malt, sweet caramel, and dried fruit. On the finish it dries out with a hint of herbal hops, leaving a clean aftertaste. Flavorful, drinkable, balanced. Really nice brew.

F: Soft, lively medium body. Excellent.

O: Great Brown. It's not a style I often gravitate to these days, but this one really reminds me about how much I enjoyed them in my gateway days. I was afraid the hazelnut would be overwhelming, but it's really well integrated. Best Rogue I've had in years, maybe ever.

Beers of Fame tick 194/250.

Cheers!

woosterbill from Kentucky, Feb 24, 2020
3.56/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into an Ommegang glass

L: Cloudy brown/amber pour with 2 fingers of off-white head. Modest lacing.

S: Toasted grains and hazelnut.

T.F: Sweet toasted malts up front. Strong hazelnut flavor... a bit coffee-creamerish. Earthy hops and a bit of brown sugar/spice. Modest bitterness but stays on the sweet side. Medium to light bodied. More hazelnut at the finish.

O: Pretty average and I don't get the sky high ratings. A reasonable brown ale with some hazelnut creamer. A little artificial tasting but could be worse. One I won't be revisiting.

EMV from Pennsylvania, Jan 20, 2020
3.24/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Currently #20 in the top rated American Brown Ales list.

CAN: 12 fl oz pull-tab with a creme colored label. Ran me $1.69 USD plus tax at Martin Wine Cellar, Metairie, Louisiana.

"Ale with natural hazelnut flavor." 5.6% ABV. 33 IBUs. 14 degrees plato.

AROMA: Nutella. Chocolate malt.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Artificial, hitting on a hazelnut flavour/extract instead of true hazelnut. Shallow chocolate malts and brown malts lie beneath the surface fake hazelnut flavour. It does have a hint of roast, which helps even it out (I guess it comes from the kiln coffee malts). Balanced and enjoyable if you can get past the artificial hazelnut taste.

Smooth, coating, wet, medium-bodied, not unrefreshing, well-carbonated.

OVERALL: Not the cloying Nutella brown one might fear, but its artificiality makes it tough to recommend. I'd sooner reach for Bell's brown ale if after an easy drinking affordable expression of the style, and this doesn't hold a candle to the best of the best (i.e. Founders' Underground Mountain Brown). I guess this dazzled 20 years ago...shows how far we've come if so.

C+ (3.24) / ABOVE AVERAGE

kojevergas from Colorado, Dec 17, 2019
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Rogue’s Hazelnut Brown Nectar presents as a hazy, slightly muddy, translucent brew. It is mildly to moderately carbonated, displaying a somewhat quickly dissipating one finger head with a restrained pour.

S - Notes of malt, hazelnut, walnut, and sweet smoke are abundantly clear. Chocolate and coffee notes are also present.

T - Extremely mellow, not overly sweet, and surprisingly refreshing. This is where this beer really shines; I can only think of one other nut brown that would give this beer a run for its money.

M - Much thinner than one would suspect (in the best way possible). No oil slick aftertaste. Fantastic.

D - I really, really like this beer. Oftentimes, it seems that offerings contain artificial flavors lending themselves to a mouthfeel that is cringe-worthy. This beer contains all the qualities that I have come to admire in a craft brew; originality, purity, and consistency. This beer doesn’t disappoint and, for good measure, lives up to the Rogue name. Try it. You won’t be disappointed.

4.09/5  rDev 0%

From notes 9/2/12: Pours a clear dark brown with 1.5 fingers of tan, finely bubbled, rapidly diminishing head that leaves only tiny motes of lace. Aroma is bready toast, roasted hazelnut, creamed coffee and some cocoa in a thin vanilla and caramel background. Taste is dark bread, toast, roasted hazelnuts, sweet caramel, toffee, dark chocolate, some pepper and light smoke. Rogue yeast is also there. Finish is dry, peppery hop spice and lightly bitter. Aftertaste is slightly burnt and nicely bitter. Very Good. This is a well made brown ale, however, I wish I could try it without the hazelnut.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled in a taster glass from draft at The Vine on July 22, 2019. Winner of five Great American Beer Festival medals. Sessionable twist on a brown ale that showcases Oregon’s state nut. Distinct hazelnut flavors and aromas.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Pours a very nice dark amber color with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has malt and hazelnu hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a malt and hazelnut flavor
M-A light bodied moderately carbonated beer
O-A nice Brown Ale

VABA from Virginia, Aug 22, 2019
4.19/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Six pack of bottles picked up at Total Wine in Lynnwood, Washington.
No dating on the bottles. Served in a pint glass.

Look- Crystal clear cola color with a nice khaki head that recedes slowly, a good amount of lacing on the glass.
Modest carbonation bubbles streaming in the glass as it sits.

Smell- Hazelnuts. Dried fruits (prunes, dates, figs, raisins) even some apricot, currants and apple, almonds. Toffee/caramel/brown sugar malts. Butter melting in a pan and vanilla, a little seasonal spice.

Taste- A lot of the same as the smell, WOW. So many flavors in tandem, it's makes Sam Smith's Nut Brown look one dimensional.

Feel- Creamy, velvety, heavy bodied but incredibly easy drinking. Really light carbonation.

O- Totally unique. Rogue tends to be pricey, but I'll be damned if they don't turn out a great product most of the time. This one is on the cheaper end of the spectrum and a quality desert beverage to go with some creme brulee and vanilla ice cream.

Mister_Faucher from Washington, Aug 12, 2019
4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Mountain Rambler Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours copper brown with a frothy khaki head that settles to a thin layer and leaves a little spotty lacing.

S: Toasty, nutty, lots of hazelnut, earthy, slightly roasty, a hint of dark fruit, and caramel toffee sweetness.

T: Toasty, nutty, hazelnut comes through strong, earthy, lightly roasty, a little coffee and cocoa, dark fruit, plum, fig, and date, rounded out with caramel toffee sweetness.

M: A touch on the fuller side of medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: This takes me back. Somehow haven't had this since before I joined BA. Really enjoyable brown ale with a fun twist.

RyanK252 from California, Jun 03, 2019
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

From a can. Dark brown color with tan head. Hazelnut smell. Light but somewhat sticky feel. Tastes of sweet malts and hazelnut with a dry finish. Pretty much what I expected from the description, could use more body.

2.37/5  rDev -42.1%

too sweet. too bubbly. head seemed nice on the pour but quickly disappeared.
had a odd flavor profile that starts off pleasant but ends in a caramel-like watery cheap soda.
I tried to like it but did not. just not a good brew for my taste buds I guess.

3.64/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Very dark, translucent, tan head recedes quickly, no lacing; nice crisp aroma, but not strong or identifiable; Deep rich flavor, a slightly unusual taste but not particularly nutty. (I like hazelnut flavored coffee, too, but can't really taste hazelnuts); Mouthfeel is a little weak, light carbonation. Not bad, I wouldn't refuse it, but it didn't knock my socks off. I like the way it looks, wish it had a better head and more carbonation.

spectru from Florida, Apr 04, 2019
2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A little disappointing. I thought it'd be sweeter or that there would be something special about it, but there wasn't. I'm kinda surprised this brewery is still around.

AllOfTheCats from Illinois, Mar 22, 2019
4.41/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I actually love this. Even though it should rightfully be noted that it is extremely sweet. Well, it is titled “nectar” so I’m not mad...it doesn’t detract from it. Nice nutty spine to the flavor profile. A little bit creamy. Smells like a affagato.

mintzmeet from Washington, Mar 03, 2019
2.42/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

It is so weird. I swear this was one of my favorite beers, but just when the new light tan label came out it is awful! Notice that the illustrated bald man Chris Studach who is credited with creating this beer is now removed from the product.

A friend of mine pointed out that some beers have a syrupy taste and consistency, something I always notice now (Newcastle, my “gateway” beer will never taste the same).
The nutmeg is clearly added in something like a sugary goo form, and as a result this beer is now cast to a lower rung of beer hell.
The smell and taste has all the complexity of Coca-Cola, and it sits foully, 2 beers making me feel like I’m a helium balloon.

Bought this at BevMo. The new label is hard to spot. Maybe it is sitting on the shelf too long.
Big letdown.

Jacob1117 from California, Feb 16, 2019
4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours to a dark reddish tint with a moderate head and ample lacing. Aroma is nutty and musty. Taste is smooth and hazelnut flavor comes through. I like this style of beers and along with Smutty Nose Old Brown Dog -- this is right up there. Bought a six of this at Total Wine on Long Island in NY and wanted to experiment with some brews from the Pacific Northwest. Nice brew, will be buying this brewery again....

Mugman8 from New York, Feb 03, 2019
4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes a beer has the nose of a nut...hazelnut that is. Pours dark, but still able to be seen through. Head is tan. Taste is nutty and smooth.

Korbynlehr from Kentucky, Dec 26, 2018
3.59/5  rDev -12.2%

I was really looking forward to this beer. When I was traveling up to the Bitterroot Valley in Montana I stopped in Salmon Idaho and had one of the best beers I've ever had at their local brewery. It was their stout mixed with their hazelnut ale. It was like dessert in a glass. I was hoping to find another hazelnut beer when I got back home that had the rich aroma and taste of hazelnut just as theirs did, I did a Google search and found Rogue Hazelnut Nectar. I couldnt wait to try it. I went and bought a 6 pack at Top Shelf Wine and Spirits that had so many craft beers I was in awe, I have never seen so many in one place especially for a smaller store. So as soon as I got home I cracked one opened, so excited to try it, I poured it into a glass, I smelled it and I smelled no hint of hazelnut at all, I thought maybe it's just because I'm comparing it to the other one I had just had a few days prior, since my mom had stopped on the way back from Montana to fill me up a growler of that amazing mix of stout and hazelnut. They actually call it The Nutsac. I thought maybe it just tastes like hazelnut, but no aroma. So I took a few small sips, still no hint of hazelnut at all. I was really let down, was really hoping it tasted like the hazelnut beer I had when I was in Idaho, that one was even mixed with a stout and you could smell and taste very strong hazelnut. This to me just tastes like any other brown ale, like a Newcastle or something. I thought maybe it was just a bad bottle because I read someone else review on here saying they had only 1 out of 3 from the same six pack that actually tasted good when the other two didn't. So I just keep trying them but they have all tasted the same so far. Even let one start to warm up to room temperature because some people say the hazelnut comes through more then, but still nothing. Reading everyone elses reviews of saying how overwhelming the hazelnut is and how its sweet and tastes like dessert keeps making me think I got a bad batch or something because none if mine have tasted like other people have explained at all, not sweet, no hazelnut, a bit sour and bitter at the end. I'm wondering if they forgot to put the hazelnut extract in this batch, who knows? I really don't want to waste money on another six pack though to find out if it's just going to taste like a plain brown ale. So I guess my quest continues to find another hazelnut beer here in Vegas.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Again a classic from Rogue that I've been trying to taste for long: the Hazelnut Brown Nectar! Although the label has changed somewhat from the usual "guys in monotone" design, the taste I hope stayed tge same - but what I had convinced me pretty much. Once the beer warms up to the right temperature you instantly start getting mildly sweet/spicy hazelnut aromas and the taste is just overwhelming. Not only fragrant hazelnuts but you feel like drinking a beer with a hazelnut milk chocolate. Although the sweet chocolate thing is rather a flavor and not a syrupy sweetness, it is quite okay. The beer itself is rather dry and somewhat carbonated I would say - it is on the "nectar" side that suits the ale character pretty well and doesn't make it like a porter or a stout. The dryness has some stickiness to it in the aftertaste but otherwise I think it is a very well made, well drinkable beer. Cheers, Rogue!

monkist from Hungary, Dec 02, 2018
3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

A curious beer It has not motivated me much. It's a beer that stands out for hazelnuts but nothing more. For my soft mass. Yes, the treatment of hazelnuts is very well done. In fact, the person next to him liked it a lot.

1.95/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Had 3 Hazelnut Brown Nectars at a reputable restaurant. The inconsistency in smell and taste was incredible between the three. The first beer was very sour, no hazelnut aroma or flavor. Had to throw it out. The second was a fantastic beer. All flavors and aromas as advertised! The third was just like the first...horrible from the start. All three were from the same six pack...WTH Rogue?!? You have issues!!

Gmoney34 from Alabama, Oct 15, 2018
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hazy chocolate brown, half finger of craterous head
Candied pecans, hazelnut, chocolate, malts
Bright tart taste, odd. Roasted and malts
Feels dry
I don't know if this has gone bad or if I'm just bad at beer

4.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Root beer in color, foamy head that fizzles out after a minute or so. Taste is exactly as described...wait, that's wrong. Better than described.

One word: tasty.