Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

4.2

Ratings: 4,229 |  Reviews: 1,457

1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

1.36/5  rDev -66.6%

This isn't serious beer. Come on Rogue! I should have ordered a cherry Coke.

1.41/5  rDev -65.4%

Pours a a cloudy looking red brown. A nice thick tan head with incredible lacing that coats the side of the glass.

I am slightly sick by the smell of dank old hazelnut. As if the nuts were in warm water sitting in the sun for a few weeks collection molds and such. Awfull smell to me.

Tastes the same as the smell....

Rarely do I just not like a beer. This is one of those rare moments.

Some reviews are saying that they use hazelnut extracts. I must not like them. Do I rate all ones if i personally do not like the beer???

The apperance was great. I just could not get past the smell and taste of the hazelnut. Was this bottle bad??

I would rather have had a macro beer tonight.

My first drainpoor on BA.

1.64/5  rDev -59.7%

From decervecitas. In Teku glass. After dinner. Too much hazelnut here, in aroma and aftertaste, so much that even makes me want to puke. I like hazelnuts, but this is excessive

1.76/5  rDev -56.8%

A strange one. Tastes like a Vanilla Coke/Newcastle Brown shandy with some hazelnut syrup and a touch more malt. Very odd, and unevenly balanced. The flavours don't blend well at all, really bad, especially when i had such high hopes. Another good reason for me not to like brown ales. Odd.

1.86/5  rDev -54.3%

Apparently this was my weekend for artificially sweetened brown ales. First the Longboat Double Chocolate Porter, and now this. My wife works in the county clerk's office, and has a process server come in on a regular basis raving about this beer. I am not one who enjoys extract flavored beers, but we picked this up anyway just so she could tell him she tried it, and get him off her back.

Appeareance: My wife poured it, and didn't do a great job on my glass. She got the perfect head in hers, and mine looked like an espresso snowstorm. Nice umber colored pour. No, I don't really know what umber looks like. It just sounded complimentary for a beer I basically hated.

Smell: Hazelnut latte. For the record, I drink my coffee black.

Taste: Not as bad as the Longboat. This one almost has a hint of beer flavor to it, but it really is overpowered by the sweetness of the hazelnut. Gives it almost a sweetened iced coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Seems a bit thin to me. However, I don't drink many browns (read: any browns at all), so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll go with my ever-expanding gut.

Drinkability: I couldn't finish the glass. Didn't want to finish the glass, and my wife didn't finish hers. I'd say that out of the 22 ounces in that bomber, we drank maybe 8 combined, and it was 8 too many. I seriously don't know how people can drink this. It's painful.

1.93/5  rDev -52.6%

Wow.
I bought this beer reading the reviews thinking it would be absolutely fantastic. I like other brown ales. Wayyyy weird aftertaste. Tasted like fake syrup had been poured into a decent beer. I opened my 22oz bomber and poured my first glass full of expectations. By the time I had finished half of my first glass, I felt sick to my stomach.

I threw the rest of this bomber down the drain. This is the first time I have ever done this before.

I feel dirty.