Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato

Alströms:
4.2

Ratings: 4,209 |  Reviews: 1,455
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

This is easily the best brown ale I have had to date. Also in its favor was the fact that those I shared the bottle with absolutely loved it...let the conversions begin!

I could not pick up much in the nose, probably due to the smoke in the bar. There was the obvious slight nutty aroma, with a bit of coffee as well. The beer was a dark shade of brown with a thin tan head on top. The taste is quite unique. A roasty bitterness arrives at the start, followed by hints of toffee and a mild hop bite, and ends with an overwhelming nutty finish. The nut flavor is somewhat sweet, but certainly not overpowering, and is delicious. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy...reminded me of a cask conditioned ale. This is a great ale from Rogue, and a very interesting one at that.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Head is medium-sized, coarse, bubbly, tan. It tracks scant spots of lacing. Color is deep, deep red/brown. Clear and dark. The smell is a tangy toffee, with some molasses. Nutty, chocolate hazelnut in the front, with a thick, toffee, sweetish, caramel toffee middle. Some milk. Finishes with more tangy toffee, hazelnut and dark chocolate candy. Bitter aftertaste. This is a good, toffee, dark, tangy beer with a big bitter finish. Nice enough.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a dark chestnut brown. Cafe au lait coloured head dissipates quickly which is disheartening.

S-rich roasted bread and caramel dominate with hints of roasted generic nuts

T-Seet caramel with roasted nut undertones. hop presence is minimal. There is maybe a hint of bitterness there. The sweet taste is pleasing though.

M-Medium bodied with a decent carbonation.

D-Overall this is tasty but not the best brown ale I have ever had. A tad more hops would be welcome

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%

Sweet light malt is creamy and fruity with mild chocolate and roasted caramel, milder coffee, and a finishing hazelnut aroma. A little hop is present. Very light overall flavor.

Ruby mahogany brown. Clear. Almost no head, it was very small and quickly fleeting.

Surprisingly light. I get some chocolate, coffee, and sweet caramel flavors. Ah yes, and hazelnut; reminiscent of hazelnut coffee. Medium-light to light malt flavor and light bitterness. Gentle malt sweetness. Finishes sweet and nutty.

Medium-light body with medium-light carbonation. Smooth and lightly creamy.

Quite light, it’s nutty and sweet. Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a flavored ale based on either a robust Northern English Brown or a light American Brown. It’s balanced and delicate.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

#82 on the beers of fame list as of last fall.

This might actually be comparable to CCB Maduro. Very translucent brown body. It smells dry and full of hazelnut. slightly sweet smell. The taste is just right for a brown. Light and sweet. Slightly dry, but only enough to even things out. Light hazelnut flavor which hides the sweet base. Finishes nutty and sweet.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

From a 22oz. bomber pours a dark red-brown with a finger plus of light tan foam. The head eventually settles to a thin layer, leaving some lace clinging to the glass, ample carbonation is evident with bubbles rising steadily from the bottom.

Sweet, nutty aroma upfront with notes of vanilla, hazelnut, toffee and a green grassy hop following in the background.

Smooth nutty malt flavor that is an amplification of the nose. A very nice pleasant flavor that reminds me of a watered down version of DarkLord IS, which is a very good thing.

A smooth medium bodied Brown, that is as sessionable as any ale could be....a must try for this style.

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%

Presentation: On tap, served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish brown, crystal clear. No head to speak of, just a ring of foam that fades to nothing.

Smell: Amazingly enough, very little smell at all, neutral.

Taste: Very creamy taste, almost milky. Nutty finish, no bitterness. A slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, as expected for a brown ale.

Drinkability: Yes, please, several more.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very deep brown body with a perfect 2 inch tan head, rocky, with small and regular bubbles, fine lacing and lasting. Sweet nose, chocolate mainly with hints of maple and coffee. The taste is pretty malty, sweet, surprisingly very fresh with loads of nice flavors among which none really stood out, but honey, chocolate, milk, nuts, toffee, caramel, coffee, maple, rich cookies. Soft, creamy and chewy palate. Tremendous malt/hops balance, more on the malt size, but hops is noticeable, especially toward the finish where I noticed a woody/herbal hops flavor and a roastiness that added to the complexity. Great bursting vanilla aftertaste. Lovely beer which I'm frightened I won't be able to get a crack at near often enough living up here:( Two thumbs up to JoeT for this great desert.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My taste buds came alive. Want is that delicious flavor? It’s hazelnut as in my favorite liqueur- Frangelico hazelnut liqueur. I was served this in a flight for which I didn’t pay attention to the names of each beer. Of course if I’d read the label I’d have seen "hazelnut" in the description. This is a beer I’ll go back to at every opportunity.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have a soft spot for this beer....one of the first craft brews I got into. Still enjoyed with fond nostalgia. Deep brown/caramel in color. Looks like melted English toffee. Hazelnut coffee creamer on the nose. Nice mix of creamy nut and a faint hint of an old school brown ale. Enough layers to avoid this being a one note ale.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales