Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

4.2

Ratings: 4,215 |  Reviews: 1,455
4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It comes in a medium brown flavor.

The aroma has hazelnut and a honey sweetness.

The taste definitely has a hazelnut kick to it. It's sweet and has a nutty pop. It reminds me of other brown ales like Samuel Smith's, but it has a wonderful hazelnut and hop flavor to it. There's a slight coffee bitterness.

It has a nice finish and great carbonation. One of my first Rogue beers and quite good for a brown ale. I wish more had this distinct character.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

Served in a standard shaker at The Saucer. Pours a deep, pretty brown color with some ruby hues and limited light penetration. It lacks any head to speak of and leaves no lacing to the glass. The nose is a good strong, sweet malt with some woody, earthy hops undertones. It has a strong smell of toasted cereal and just a hint of that hazelnut. The flavor is just too much hazelnut to me. The hops do a good job of cutting down the double whammy of malty sweetness and the hazelnut, which in this case tastes almost like Starbucks hazelnut syrup has been added. Finishes dry with a pretty good palate feel. I hesitated to review this beer due to my growing distaste for hazelnut purely because I'm sick of all the flavored syrups at coffee bars. Therefore, I really tried to review this one with the style in mind first of all, and my palate second of all (which is what I try to do no matter what). I even when back for a second round just to finalize my thoughts. I really think that overall, the hazelnut was just too much and overwhelmed the natural malt goodness of a good brown.

3.5/5  rDev -14%