Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato

Ratings: 4,215 |  Reviews: 1,455

3.5/5  rDev -14%

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured this one into my DFH pint glass. I was a little over eager and almost lost some. Got two full fingers of almost tan head. Body color is somewhere in the mahogany realm. Head is nice and frothy, not light and watery. It sticks around for a bit too.

Roasted hazelnut and caramel comes first to the nose. The caramel really ramps up but there is a whiff of alcohol as well, also light coffee-like notes.

The flavor is very light and malty on the beginning of the sip. Hazelnut comes in as a backbone, and the caramelized malts take over. Ends up mildly bitter.

This beer is medium bodied. Seems to lightly coat the back half of the tongue, and makes you salivate waiting for the next sip.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked to be a dark amber...the mug is tinted.

It smelled great. You could definitely pick out the hazelnut and it had a caramel fragrance.

The hazelnut flavor is definitely prevalent. The beer has a sweet caramel flavor with moderate carbonation for a darker beer.

Mouthfeel....eh, whatever.

Being a hazelnut lover, I tried to ignore all the reviews slamming this beer's "artificial" hazelnut flavoring. I really wanted to enjoy it. I did anyway. I thought it was a good beer....a nice dark amber with the slight feel of a porter and a hefty hint of hazelnut. Artificial or not....I will drink it again.

2.06/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This beer has a really big rateing ... That is not good, the reviews have to be coming from people that loved Boones Farms back in the seventies, or some of these cherry flavored Vodkas. There are great beers on here that have low rateings and novalty brews with high scores.

I enjoy bold experiments with craft brewing, ...but extracts make me want to gag. I do not believe the beer was brewed with any actual "Hazlenuts" at all!

So.... it was brewed in a way that put the hazlenut taste in the back of the throat, and it did have a bold malted honey taste, but I found myself just trying to get through it and find something else to wash that taste out of my mouth.

Rogue is one of my favorite breweries, this selection was not for me.

3.5/5  rDev -14%