Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Ratings: 4,201 |  Reviews: 1,451
4.17/5  rDev +3%

A: Dark brown caramel color, light carbonation, thin one inch head which slowly dissipates, minimal lacing which slowly disappears.

S: Hazelnut is apparent, smells nutty and sweet, little hint of malt

T: Sweet, not bitter at all, minimal hops, hazelnut is apparent, finishes sweet, little bit of chocolate taste

M: Light to medium body, minimal carbonation, very balanced mouthfeel, very smooth beer

O: I really do like this beer, it's smooth and extremely drinkable, there are no dominant tastes, everything is well balanced. I would drink again, a nice flavorful, light feeling beer.

3.86/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer pours out a beautiful clear chestnut color with a big frothy 2-finger head. The nose was slightly toasty and floral, promising roasted malt and a whiff of vanilla. I found the nose to be a bit disappointing, but perhaps I over-chilled this one.

The beer has a nice, mild flavor typical of a good brown ale. There's a light roasted malt flavor accompanied by some hazelnut, toast, and caramel. Some mild hoppy dryness starts to develop around mid-palate and follows to the finish.

This was a good brown ale, and very true to its style, but I was honestly hoping for more of a novelty beer (a candy-bar in a bottle). The brewer went for balance here, but I think it would have been interesting to go for richness instead. I don't think the hazelnut flavors complement the hops very well, but they do complement the malt. Combining hazelnut with a sweeter, richer beer that has more residual malt would be interesting. Still, this was a very nice brown ale and should be enjoyed by anyone who likes this style.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Let me start off saying that is by far the best brown I have had hands down. Poured out very brown, almost like a wood stain of some kind, little head that tried to hold on till the end but left some lacing. Right off, the smell sucked me in, it was very sweet, nutty, chocolate, coffee and some malt. You can definitively tell there is hazelnut in there...the first sip was astonishing. Sweet, but not too much, lots of hazelnut with some chocolate and coffee. The thing that made this beer stand out is that it was paired with a final bitterness that didn't cover up the sweetness. But rather complimented it just enough so you knew you weren't drinking an iced mocha morning shit, but a BEER! I wouldn't go as far to say it was a dessert beer, but it definitively is a treat.

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom...

Very interesting, I must say!!! I expected different...but, here is my review :)

Upon pouring, it's a deep, dark color, yet somewhat transparent...a good brown ale for you...about a one finger off white head, with very little lacing..

The nose was very interesting! I could immediately smell cream...slight vanilla...yet the overall nose wasn't too much to talk about.

On the palate...Well lets see, cream, coffee, hints of 'burnt' nuts - quite odd, yet it all worked well in the finish. Not too malty. I could see how they labeled it 'hazelnut'.

Would I buy this again? Not sure... I would try it in the bottle, even though I have much love for taps :) Would I recommend it? Yes, due to it's oddness and creativity!

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

A-Deep mahogany brown with nice white creamy head

S-Has a great sent of hazelnut. Kinda like smelling a flavored cup of coffee. Very unique for a beer

T-Very potent taste of hazelnuts and coffee. Also has a nice smoky taste.

M-Sits pretty heavy with medium carbonation.

O-Very happy with this beer. Different from any other porter i have had. Not to sweet not to bitter, just right.

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Dark brown color but more the color of mahogany, with some red hues. The head is very small and is eggshell white.

S: Smells like coffee and has a sort-of black tea scent (the asian kind). It smells very good.

T: It doesn't have a strong flavor, it's very mellowed out. It tastes a bit sweet like an iced coffee variety of drink. I don't really get a nutty flavor, hazelnut or otherwise.

M: It has a smooth almost milky mouthfeel (doesn't coat like milk, just smooth like it). Feels a bit weak on carbonation for a brown ale, but it seems to work well with this beer.

O: Overall it's a good beer. I would drink it again. It drinks a lot like a mellow, much weaker coffee stout. So, if you want something not as powerful, this is your drink.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer as part of a regular beer program at the local bar. I have had this beer multiple times in the past, and it is nice to finally add this to my review list.

I had this in a bomber in a fluted, Grand Cru glass. The beer releases nice carbonation with every pour. One unusual thing with this beer is the lack of strong aroma. I get some nuttiness from the bouquet, but that is about it.

The flavor is great, as usual. I like the balance of malts, nuttiness, and english hops. This is a great tasting beer.

It was a great decision for Rogue to distribute this beer nationwide. It is the best Brown that I have had, and I continue to enjoy this flavor.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - a nice medium shaded brown (not as dark as most which is nice). good finger and a half of fluffy slighty browned head sits on top and just stays put. laces very well down the glass.

S - big notes of cream and nuts with coffee in the back as well. well that pretty much sums up exactly what they were going for with the name.

T - the coffee and nut tastes are a lot more subdued than the nose led me to believe. they are definitely there and taste great but i was expecting them to be overpowering and they are not. some caramel notes in there as well. its a very good brown ale no doubt about that.

M - medium bodied with lots of carbonation. the one main issue i have with it is it feels a bit watered down overall.

O - this is one fine brown ale and definitely worth checking out. its everything it says it will be.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

Had on tap at the Taphouse on Queensway in Hampton, VA.

Appearance: Very brown, little head, left some lacing

Smell: Pretty sweet, nutty, hazelnut, chocolate, coffee, and malts are heavily present in the nose.

Taste: This was a good dessert beer, rather sweet, not overwhelming. Was a lot like drinking iced hazelnut coffee, lots of hazelnut, some chocolate, coffee, other nuttiness, and good sweet malts, with some hints of balancing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, decent carbonation

Overall: Quite good. Better than I would have expected. Very drinkable, and a nice way to cap off the night.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

hazel nut wow....it def has that aroma and taste in this beer...and thats about all you really taste....i wish the hazelnut wasn't so watered down....don't get me wrong the hazelnut is def. prominent in this beer....the taste is pretty nutty....its not bad...actually the nut is starting to come more out since the beer is warming up....i'm really a big fan of this beer

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

A- Pours a 1 finger head that is very light brown in color. Beer itself is a deep chestnut/brown color with hints a red. Leaves nice lacing

S- Deep smell of toasted nuts, hazelnut is definitely there, slight chocolate, but it is mostly a deep rich toasted nut smell that makes me feel like it is Fall.

T- The hazelnut is the first thing you taste and the laste thing that lingers. It is like the artificial crap in some coffee and/or creamers. Tastes too much like an fake extract to me and not "real" enough. You can taste some other toasted nuts, chocolate male, cinnamon, nutmeg, but the hazelnut just dominates the other flavors. Definitely gets better and more balanced as it warms but still nothing special.

M- Slightly thin but nice carbonation level

O- Not the most drinkable beer because the hazelnut taste gets old. Not executed as well as I feel it could have been, becvause I think the idea is great but too sweet and extracty for me. I love nut brown ales and hazelnut seems like a perferct addition or showcase but please tone down the extract to let the other flavors shine more. I think it would really help the beer out

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

First had: on tap at Gullifty's, Wayne, PA

This was ok, but it was really lacking in flavor, which was disappointing considering the promise of hazelnut. I mean I wasn't expecting a Nutella beer, but...hmm... hmmm...

Poured a dark tea brown with a small off-white head that settled to a thin ring of bubbles. Toasty malts in the aroma, and not much else; slightly nutty. Taste: it's a brown ale. Malts and...malts, some caramel, a bit of nuttiness, brown sugar, and some coffee bitterness. Not really hazelnut though. Medium body, somewhat drinkable, but pretty bland I thought.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours very smoothly into a standard pint glass. The head is about a finger and a half in width and is just barely off white in color. There about a fair amount of small bubbles in this beer, but also some big ones, somewhat pillowy, it looks a lot like what the top of a cappuccino would look like. The head is dissipating fairly quickly but it's leaving good lacing throughout the glass. The body is a very dark brown color, with hints of red in there as well. It doesn't really look like your standard brown, most browns are pretty boring looking, but with the red, and the dark shade, it's for sure different. Somewhat see through, but for the most part it's too dark to see much on the other side. The carbonation is a little on the high side, but I'm sure it will be fine on the taste. Overall this beer is strange looking, because part of the head was crappy, it just petered out really quickly, but other parts were good, it was pillowy and left good lacing. Same with the body, it looks unique, but at the same time it also kinda looks like cranberry juice. I'm struggling on deciding whether it should get a 3.5 on looks or a 4, but I think it deserves a 4. I was really expecting this beer to smell like really light hazelnut, kinda like in ice cream or something, crisp and tasty, but it kinda just smells malty and really heavy on the hazelnut. The malt is there for sure, it greatly resembles the malt smell you get in a scotch ale, very sweet, hints of molasses, caramel and syrup. The hazelnut also is heavier than I would like, I would have liked this beer to be light and crisp, but I can tell that this is going to be somewhat heavy, the hazelnut isn't going to be that refreshing, it's going to be heavy like peanut butter. I mean the smell isn't bad, in fact it smells really good and unique, it's just not really what I was looking for at all. That isn't the brewers fault of anything, just my own preference I guess. Maybe some vanilla in here as well. I don't want to grade this beer solely on how I thought it was going to be, and now it's not, because it is a good smelling beer. I guess what it comes down to is that it is really complex and good smelling, so 4. The taste isn't what I was expecting at all, I had this beer a long time ago and I don't remember is tasting anything like this, it tasted like this beer smelled. On top of that, the smell on this beer completely throws you off on the taste, it doesn't tastes like it smells. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I doubt it, because if what I'm smelling is the same, I'm sure the taste is the same too, and my memory is just failing me. There are small hints of hazelnut on the taste, but for the most part it just tastes like a not very well done scotch ale. It's just very watery and not very much flavor, there is a point when you first take a sip of just nothingness. The carbonation distracts you from any flavors that might be there for the first second. The carbonation usually has no affect on the taste for me, but this time it's for sure coming into play. On the taste as a whole, these are the things I get - hazelnut, malts, maybe some syrup or molasses, maaaaybe some vanilla in the aftertaste, but barely any, and just a carbonated, sour, "interruption" in the beginning of the taste. Overall it's not a bad beer at all, it's a fine taste, and it's above average (just barely) because it's still a decently done craft brew. The tastes are all there for sure, that's not the problem, it's that it's so watery and carbonated at the beginning that it steals the flavors that are there, and then when the flavors do kick in, they aren't big enough to make an impact on your taste buds. It's a strange carbonation too, it's not super bubbly of fizzy, it just kinda hangs out in the back of your throat and disrupts your taste buds, it's hard to explain, but it is annoying. Not how I remember this beer at all either, frankly I would have preferred the big taste I was detecting on the smell (and how I remember it to taste the first time) instead of this watery taste. Like I said though, overall not a bad taste, just not that great. Mouthfeel is the strangest part of this beer, is it bad? No, it's just...very inconvenient and not that impressive. Carbonation is the right level, it's carbonated weird, body is big enough I suppose, brown ales aren't supposed to be too thick. Drinkability is pretty good because there really isn't anything wrong with this beer at all, it's just not as fantastic as I was hoping. Overall what more can I say, I've written a freaking novel on this beer, disappointed with the beer, but it's not a bad beer, still a decent craft brew.

After this beer warmed more it got smoother to drink and the carbonation was much less offensive. The flavors also came out more, but only by a little bit. The taste got better, but now it's just closer to a 4 than to a 3, but still a solid 3.5.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into an imperial nonic.

A: Very dark brown. Pours about a 2 finger, frothy, brown-white head. Settles slowly and unevenly leaving some sticky peaks as it does. Very defined beer ring lacing. It's like it's leaving you a little bookmark on your progress as you drink it down. Head renews completely with every top-off pour.

S: Malty baked bread with milk chocolate, vanilla, and a nice lightly bittersweet nutty tone. A little banana in there too.

T: Hints of vanilla and more pronounced nuts accentuate a bittersweet malt flavor.

M: Rich and creamy feel. A little sweet (but only barely) in the front, bitter aftertaste lingers throughout the experience.

D: The biggest problem with this one is, it's gone before you know it.

Atmosphere is great. Rich brown body, a really thick frothy head, and very persistent lacing. Nose is a great combination of very softly done nut and fruit. It kinda' makes me think of freshly baked banana bread. Flavor is bittersweet malt and subtle sweet notes, with a thick robust body. Overall, this is a great quaff.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Big four finger brown/yellow head that is foamy forms out of the bottle. Really looks foamy but never stops and sort turns into styrofoam. Body is a very nice dark red and somewhat clear but the color turns dark making it look opaque. VERY nice looking drink here, even without any sticky lacing.

Bouquet is a great mix of nutty cream sensations. Husky nut shell and hints of chocolate creamyness. Smells like chocolate nuts but more not than sweetness. Really impressive! Small hint of heat strangely and some roast character.

Cream feel, and smell sensation all comes together in the palate wondefully. It's there in taste and in feel. Light nut tannic qualities on the finish, milk cream coffee sensations and flavor, silky texture in the swallow, with a simple solid malty finish. Faint hint of tobacco on the finish as well, but very small and only after some repeated sips.

Wow I was not expecting this beer to be this good this is fantastic, this is almost like drinking dairy creamer it's so good.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

22 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - pours a deep brown with some ruby highlights. about an inch of khaki colored head. very creamy. not much lacing.

S - definitely a hazelnut presence. hints of chocolate, almonds, coffee and caramel too. good whiff of rich malts. all around very sweet aroma. ready to dive into this.

T/M - sweet but not as sweet as I thought it would be. and after the smelling the robust nose I was a little let down by the flavor as well, but still nice flavors nonetheless. sweet caramel malts go wire to wire, paired with the strong hazelnut nectar. hints of chocolate and coffee also add to the complexity of the flavor. no notable hop presence. lighter bodied than expected. mild carbonation.

Overall a finely crafted beer. good drinkability on top of great flavor. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys rich, sweet chocolately beers.

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

My wife swears by this beer, and while I wouldn't kill for it the way she would, I would definitely injure for it. Huge hazelnut flavor announces itself through the nose. The strong flavor sticks with you via aftertaste, but in this case, that's a good thing. More of a desert beer than an everyday drink, but it's a damn good one.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Poured dark brown with a nice copper tint to it. Small head, less than a finger of off white foam. Dissipated quickly to nothing. No lacing.

S: Nice blend of darker malt scents intertwined with an amaretto sweetness. Wood and raw nuts.

T: Comes on slightly sweet with a bit of apple. Flows into earthy grain biscuit notes, roasted nuts maybe almonds, wood. Here comes the hazelnuts, nice and sweet almost like a liqueur. Amaretto and light roast coffee.

M: Medium and a bit velvety and fizzy.

O: Every time this beer blows me away. Its so drinkable and every drink is enjoyable. Nice light sweetness mixed with earthy nuttiness. Highly recommended.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a clear brown with a 1-inch head of khaki-colored head that settles to a thin haze. Rather creamy looking.
S - Roasted hazelnuts, sweet amber malt, caramel, and just a whiff of chocolate. Smells like some kind of hazelnut-toffee confection, but not overly sweet.
T - The hazelnut/toffee confection comparison carries over to the taste, moderately sweet, with a good amount of caramel malt and a bit of chocolate. While not as sweet as, say, Southern Tiers Blackwater Series, this would make for a nice dessert beer. I'm surprised by the amount of hazelnuts that comes through, in the past that's been a hard flavor to impart into beer.
M - Slightly creamy, with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Nice drinkability, not overly sweet.
O - This was a nice surprise, I'll definitely pick this up again, perhaps to pair with a dessert.

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

[Best served in a Dimpled Mug]

Poured a nice rich clear medium to dark brown with an average sized light brown head that was mostly diminishing leaving just a little residue hanging around allowing for good lacing. The aroma was of a nutty caramel malt and a doughy yeast with a nice note of hazelnut, brown sugar and a ever so light touch of coffee. It tasted lightly sweet with hints of caramel and coffee in the beginning. Then it matured into a very malty-nutty flavor with the hazelnut being the most pronounced at the finish, although the flavor could of lasted a little longer on the taste buds. Mouthfeel was medium in body and creamy yet slightly watery in texture as alot of brown ales can be with the carbonation being ever so perfectly soft. Overall a very nice malty nut brown ale, this happens to be my favorite style and this brew fits it very well indeed.

3.42/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Held to the light this beer is a deep crystal clear amber, but without light it is a hazy looking reddish brown looking treat. A nice thick creamy head forms but the lacing is lacking (the pint glass I poured it in was squeaky clean) and the head falls after not too much time.

I’m really just smelling hazelnut and perhaps a hint of coffee (I have to admit the only time I’ve smelled hazelnut was in coffee so it’ a bit hard for me to tell where one ends and the other begins). A strong swirl of the glass gives off the caramel malt and a touch of perhaps toast. This beer is rather lacking in aromas over all and the aromas there are very subtle in nature.

One of the things I like most about brown ales is that they have the ability to be extremely complex. By their very nature they bring out chocolate, coffee, toast, hints of hops, and essentially can take on nearly any flavor in the stout, porter, and ale world. This beer is a wonderful example of that. There is certainly a nutty flavor here, toast, caramel, light hints of chocolate, perhaps a bit bready, and a hop finish that never turns bitter (no idea how old this bottle is) but adds a certain citrus element to the finish. That said there’s nothing intense, assertive, or aggressive out of this one. A bit more flavor than is required for a brown, but hardly anything getting into the imperial world

The beer pours a nice head, but really could use some carbonation, badly! It is on the line between being thick or being a nice easy to drink beer and I don’t care for that line here. Either make it lighter or make it a touch imperial. The middle ground doesn’t really work for me.

I hate to say this again, but Rogue stop charging these prices for your beer or at least stop bottling everything in bombers! At 7 bucks a bottle I can’t see any reason to ever come back to this beer unless on tap. This is a good brown ale and certainly worth trying, but the price truly hurts it. Good but not great and not worth the money.

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%

Date Drunk: 12/11/10

A: Golden Caramel and brown color with little head.
S: The smell of hazelnut and malt are extremely noticeable here.
T&M: Up front, you taste a flat, nutty beer with little to no carbonation at the end. The aftertaste is where this beer becomes amazing. Your mouth is left feeling silky with hazelnut and toffee abundant.
O: This beer becomes light as air to drink and is excellent in the winter, and probably would be a great summer beer as well.

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

This pours a deep brown colour with good clarity. Nice, small, light tan head.

Rich and robust hazelnut aroma with sweet malt in the background. This is all about the nuts.

A smooth, malty brown ale with lots of characteristic Rogue residual sweetness. Very nutty with a distinct hazelnut flavour. A little chocolatey too.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

An interesting beer and a good use of hazelnut flavour. The nut character is a bit much for some but I think it works.

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Light brown with a mahogany tint and a two-finger, off-white head.

Aroma is a standard brown ale. Sweet malts, caramel and sugar with a bit of yeast.

Taste is very sweet right away. Interesting. I get the nectar label. It's very sweet not in a cloying barley way but almost in a juice or dessert way. The hazelnut is obvious but subtle and adds a nice accent to a solid brown ale.

3.94/5  rDev -2.7%

appearance; clear tawny to mahogany, very light tan head, quickly dissipates but keeps a creamy collar and patchy lacing.

smell; hazelnut coffee creamer mixed with beer, some creamy sweetness.

taste; very nutty, hazelnuts and burnt coffee malts. Some toasty bitterness and bread. Bits of hops blend well with a syrupy nut extract. Bitterness in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel; creamy and bit milky and slick.

overall; pretty good, a tasty treat, highly recommended.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales