Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

4.2

Ratings: 4,279 |  Reviews: 1,470
4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, off white, long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: A surprisingly powerful aroma of malt, that brown ale nuttiness, and some fruit.

T: Tasted mainly of the nutty quality (the hazelnut I assume), roasted malt, some dark fruits, and a light amount of hops. Easily the most complex, flavorful and enjoyable brown ale I've tasted.

M: A lot of carbonation with a super smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is a brilliant example of an American Brown Ale. Sweet-tasting, lots of personality, well-balanced - everything you want.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Smells of thick malts and brown sugar, with a hint of maple syrup.

On the tongue, however, the first noticeable flavor is that of hazelnuts, which comes across with a delicate strength that nicely fills the mouth. This subsumes slightly to give way to the malts, and with six different kinds of these blended in, there are a panoply of flavors to explore. Further nutty grain flavors are present here, reminiscent of Grape Nuts cereal and pecan oils, as well as light touches of chocolate. The brown sugars and maple syrups from the nose come back here, along with hints of caramel or toffee. Hops are set at medium, providing a nice background grapefruit-like bitterness to soften the blow of so many sugars.

Initially, I will admit that I was hesitant to try a brew with hazelnut flavors--I kept imagining the overly-syruped coffees at the local java joint--but I was pleasantly surprised to be dead wrong. Overall, I find this to be a wonderfully complex brew, with many layers and nuances to explore.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - Dark amber, light tan creamy head with nice retention.

Smell - Vanilla, hazelnut, cocoa dominate the aroma with some caramel in the background.

Taste - Flavor follows the aroma with a rich, hazelnut character and caramel malt. A very slight amount of the bitterness keeps it from being too sweet and keeps you wanting more. Tastes almost like a root beer float, delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation but fitting for the style, very smooth and weighs nicely on the palate.

Overall - An amazing twist on a brown ale, you could down more than a few of these.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy medium-dark brown with nice bubbles. Two-finger off-white and creamy head that diminished slowly leaving very nice lacing.

S: Strong scent of toasted nuttiness. I can smell the hazelnut too. Very nice.

T: Just the right amount of sweetness and earthy hop bitterness to balance. No flaws that I can detect. An nice long finish that is very nutty and makes me want to drink more.

M: Light to medium body that is nice and creamy with soft carbonation. The body could be a bit fuller, but the feel is still very nice.

O: I really like this brown ale. The hazelnut is nice and subtle, not off-putting at all. It sets this one apart from other brown ales. One of my new favorites.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

From a good looking 22oz bomber 8/7/11

A-The head was a nice off color white. The body was a gorgeous brown on the darker side, but was not too dark that you could not see thru.

S- The smell reminded me of a nutty french vanilla coffee blend. Had a nice aroma of sweet nutty caramel.

T- The taste sent my senses on a rollercoaster ride thru sweetness up a hill a nuttiness and down with slight candied undertone. A truley excellent brown ale. The name of the beer fits perfectly.

M-The beer was not too heavy nor too light, it was just right. Could drink more then one of these any night. The beer was carbonated ,but not overly carbonated.

o- I liked this beer a lot. I have not tried to many Rogues beers, but saw this in a local six pack shop and decided to take it for a whirl. It is a bit on the sweet side, but I think it adds lots of character to the beer. It is not too sweet like other beers I have encountered. It is also not too bitter. I would reccommend this beer to anyone, if they do not know much about beers or are looking for something new to try. I had mine after dinner and it felt like a very pleasant dessert.

3.99/5  rDev -2%

Say what you want about Rogue, but Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a tasty beer. I say that because I’ve had it multiple times in the past and enjoyed it on every occasion. I’ve never had the opportunity to sit down and really review it, but I’m sure it will hold up under some scrutiny now:

A: Reddish-brown body that shines in the light only slightly. After an aggressive pour, the head rises a big and silky tan. Retention could be a little better, but the lacing that’s left is commendable. It’s not an overly-impressive look, but appearances aren’t everything, of course.

S: This is where things get good. At first whiff, a myriad of dreamy sweets fill the nose – maple cream candies, chocolate mousse, hazelnut truffles. The sticky sweetness of it all is bigger than everything else, which I don’t mind at all; the sexiness of the nose is in the sugars, and that’s ok. There are some hints of barley and slight roasted grains that come through, too, but they end up getting engulfed before they can make a reasonable attempt at presentation. Thus, the nose remains a haven for lovely residual sugars.

T: This one is an easy drinker, for sure. The sweets are foremost on the tongue; hazelnut, coffee cream, chocolate, and pure brown sugar are the main markers. The fruit tastes of the malts are bigger than I remember, too - they add a significant portion of strawberry cream notes to the mix. The grains aren’t all good, though, duly noted as I get a slight hint of stale, fabricated malt tastes toward the finish (just like in Dead Guy Ale); I'm getting hints of bran flake cereal now and again. However, the aftertaste is saved by the yeasts – bright and lemony, they add a zest that carries the factory malts to a crisper, more refreshing finish.

M: Like the other Rogue beers I’ve tried, it’s thin. It slides right over your tongue to the back of your throat without even a hesitation; I guess some people call that “drinkability.” I feel a little differently about that word, though, especially when it comes to a palate that would have been so great with a thicker presence.

O: What Rogue advertises, they do; I’ll give them that. They don’t sell this as a porter, a stout, or even an imperial ale; it’s a brown ale or a “nectar,” as the bottle puts it. While this may not be the thickest, most jaw-dropping beer you’d ever have, they do work the flavors out really well. It’s a very pleasant drinking experience, especially as a accompaniment to food; if you need something sugary enough to satisfy your sweet tooth during a meal, but light enough to be refreshing, this beer’s for you.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

I like what Rogue does and enjoy most of their offerings.

I poured the large bottle into a Duvel tulip at about 44 degrees. It was a dark caramel brown color with some amber hues in the rim. There was a 2 inch fluffy head the color of roasted peanuts. The foam was not very sticky producing only minimal lacing. The head receded to a lasting ring of bubbly foam.

I believe 44 degrees is too cold. Much more fragrance and flavor was observed beginning at 50 degrees.

The smell was of sweet malts and nuttiness. As it warmed, the nuttiness was more prominent with a hazelnut/nutella quality.

The flavors were sweet nutty and malty with a bit of hops in the last half along with some astringent nut bite. As it warmed, I got a hit of coffee which disappeared as it continued to warm. Again, it tasted better around 50 degrees than 44.

It was not particularly complex but good and balanced. It wasn't as full bodied as the Samuel Smith's nut brown ale and I'd say probably one notch below the Samuel Smith overall.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle date: Rogue don't care, so neither do I!

A: Pours a brown ale with a single finger of fine peanut head. Then I notice excellent clarity with blazing red where light comes through. The head falls to a solid sheet of the same. No lacing.

S: Nose is of hazelnut and pancake batter. Some hints of brown sugar and light malts. Simple, straitforward, nice.

T: Hmm, nice and roasty, dry and nutty. Slightly bready with sweetness. Again, simple and straitforward, nice.

M: Medium with moderate to hi carb. Dry finish.

O: Well done beer. Not much of a Rogue fan, but this is good stuff. I recall having this several years ago and really digging it, but didn't think that memory would serve consistent. Right on.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours a dark brown, root beer colour, finger of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Very nutty on the nose, touch of carmael and milk chocolate.

T - The nutty notes dominate, the caramel and cocoa come through on the finish with toasted almonds that linger.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and finishes wet.

O - There's a reason this is top rated. If you have access to it, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not grabbing several bottles.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pretty good beer. Aromas of roasted nut, caramel, and some fruity notes. Very subtle hints of chocolate.

Taste follows the nose. Nice roasted character. Nutty... with loads of caramel flavor from all the crystal malts included. Nothing too overly aggressive. Sort of sweet of front that gets cut down to a nice dry finish.

Very nice tasting beer. Highly drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at the Village Draft House in Raleigh

Arrived a a brown amber color with a thin lacing of head. Smells is malty with a great deal of hazelnut coming through. Taste is sweet, malty, nutty; roasted and caramel malts with a great amount of hazelnut. So well balanced. Very low carbonation, medium to full bodied.

Overall, this was a great beer. The hazelnut was definitely the main focus in nose and taste, but did not overwhelm the senses. What a great change of pace from the typical brown ale. I would be willing to trade my next cup of specialty coffee for this any time.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

22oz bottle into Duvel Green tulip.

A: Pours a dark cranberry red with a finger of oily light brown head that faded into a thin collar leaving little lace.
S: Surprisingly enough this brew smells strongly of hazelnuts. There is definitely a roasted nut quality to it. It’s full smelling, in a hard to explain way. It’s like the fat content and oil from the nut is translating to the nose. There is also a touch of sweet caramel malt behind it. Very interesting smelling.
T: Follows the nose with a full, roasted, nutty flavor. The sweet malt pokes through a bit more than in the smell though, and reminds me that this is an amber ale and not a porter. I get hints of red grapes, raisins, nutmeg and maybe cocoa as well.
M: Medium-full bodied with soft yet frothy carbonation. The mouthfeel is a tad thin however, and falls off a bit in the finish. It’s not really distracting though.
O: Thoroughly enjoyable albeit not fantastic. Glad I tried it once, and I would go back to again if I needed something nutty.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - MAY 28, 2008

On tap at the Yardhouse in downtown San Diego.

This one was a treat. Poured darkish brown with a fair bit of tan head. Smelled nutty with malts and caramel in there as well. The taste is much of the same, the caramel, hazelnuts and malts definitely shine but there is some hop character present, although very subtle. The flavor is very complex, but not overtly so, a delight to enjoy! I was very pleased with this beer and it is now one of my favorite brown ales.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a deep opaque brown with a cherrywood red glow when held up to light. Close to two inch head dissipates down to a thin film and retains there indefinitely.

Smells of roasted coffee, mild chocolate, and nutty sweetness.

Taste follows, but with a distinctly hazelnut flavor at the end. Otherwise, mild coffee like acidity and some smooth chocolatey roasted flavors.

Medium to thin on the feel, soft carbonation throughout.

Delicious and flavorful brown ale, the hazelnut really adds a lot. I had never thought about that as a potential flavor in beer before, but it works great. Otherwise, it's just a generally above average brown ale, decent strength makes it not quite sessionable but not overpowering either. The hazelnut takes this from just good to unique, though, and that's the reason to try it and the reason I would come back again. Wish it didn't feel so thin though.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark chestnut brown, with a thick off-white head with a decent amount of staying power. Good lacing.

The hazelnut smell is certainly present, as is chocolate. Coffee too. Smells like baking! Very sweet. Quite nice.

The roasted hazelnut is present in the taste as well, as well as a slight bitterness. Taste is nice, but not particularly complex. Perhaps a bit of caramel. Good, but not as exciting as the nose, for me.

Body is the weakest part of the beer. Thinner than I would like, and I do think that this detracts from the flavour. In its scent, it actually bears some similarities to a stout, and I think that a similar thickness would be quite welcome. Too watery. Minimal carbonation.

Overall, a good beer. Would be greatly improved with a bigger body. Still, definitely a nice one.

3.29/5  rDev -19.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium to dark brown, maybe dark amber color. Pretty hazy. Only about a 1/2 finger tan head that goes away quickly, but still leaves nice lacing.

S: Just like a hazelnut coffee creamer. Some caramel, honey, and syrup. Very nutty aroma.

T: Nutty. Sweet. Caramel. Some light vanilla. Honey and coffee towards the end. The flavors don't blend all that great. You can even taste the water.

M: Way to thin. Not much else going on in the mouth except for thinness.

O: If this beer was thicker it may have added to the flavor profile. But I believe the consistency peels the flavors apart.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

My homie says it's his favorite, I had to try.

App - pretty good loking dark color on this pour with a nice soft foamy head...Smell is of hazelnut for sure, almost scary how real/noticeable it is..Almost feel like the taste will be overwhelming..
Taste is good, lots of hazelnut but not overwhelming....funny/hard-to-explain taste here...I just thought hazelnut was one of the flavors that you couldn't do much to mask if it was too much, this brew is balanced very nicely.

No wonder it's my friends favorite, mouthfeel is very nice, not too thin or carbonated, not thick like a stout, the boundaries are very well defined around this one..

Overall, enjoyed it, grab one, amkes you feel fine.

Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appears as I imagined, a lovely hazelnut brown nectar colour, with a lively head. High carbonation.

This is the best smelling beer I have ever had, ever in my life. It smells like fresh brownies just pulled from the oven, so good!

At first the taste is disappointing, high carbonation seems to block out the taste of the beer, combined with a thin mouthfeel. Soon though the carbonation naturally dies down and it's a very pleasant taste, quite sweet though not too much. It also manages to mask the high ABV well. At the end I thought to myself 'a great session beer' though after finding out it was 6.2% not as much so.

Overall a good beer, much better than any brown ale i've had before.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

A-brown, opaque with a tan thick creamy head that dissipates slowly

S-sweet caramel nutty aroma

T-sweet chocolatey, nutty, caramel with slight hoppy overtones

F-lighter body than I expected and hoped for. Medium carbonation and smooth feel

O-an exellent brown ale which I will drink on it's own. Too sweet for any food except perhaps as a dessert beer.
I

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

K&B Wine Cellars
San Diego, CA

Dark amber and brown. Persistent tan head. Leaves gobs of sticky lacing down the glass. I wouldn't ask more from any brown ale. Perfect.

The aroma is relatively sweet: brown sugar, caramel, perhaps some chocolate, balanced by a nutty and earthy element from the hazelnuts. What's here is nice, though not one of the more aromatic browns.

A delicious and incredibly drinkable brown ale. There's far more chocolate in the flavor than I would have expected from the aroma. Along with the chocolate is some mild bitterness, some sweet caramel malt and a distinct earthiness. It all comes together extraordinarily well. Very good.

Medium yet full mouthfeel, which is a very nice surprise, as I've come to find that brown ales, even particularly good ones, seem to be very thin in mouthfeel.

A tremendously delicious brown ale--perhaps my favorite within the style. A lot of varying, relatively complex flavors, come together for an extraordinarily drinkable and highly delicious beer. I can't help but gulp this.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a nice brown/amber color with a creamy off white head that was thin and faded fast, but left great sea foam lace.

The smell was of sweet caramel, toffee, honey and a touch of chocolate. Loads of toasted hazelnut, biscuit, and hints of vanilla. Some earthy tones peeking through.

The flavor was more mild and slightly more bitter than the smell. Toasted nuts, caramel and toffee, a touch of vanilla and cocoa. Nice earthy hops rounding things out.

Creamy, smooth and medium bodied.

Overall, very nicely balanced and easy to drink. Delicious.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a bomber. Dark brown with ruby when held up to the light - looks like a red like this. Very little lace, small head- gone quickly.
Scent is heavily biscuit-like, somewhat nutty with a hint of hazelnut.
T- with hazelnut being added, I thought it would be more prominent and overpowering but it was nicely balance with all the rest: malty, caramel, nutty, coffee, maybe a touch of chocolate. The biscuit flavor is there as it is in the scent as well. A bit sweet but again surprisingly not too sweet.
M&O- pretty drinkable. Well balanced. Lightly carbonated. Flavorful.

4.39/5  rDev +7.9%

second beer of my beer trade, got this real nice big bottle for trading some local brews to my area...

poured with a nice big beige head that slowly lingered down the glass, looked real nice a deep brown color with just a little bit of red in it too

definitely the best thing about it was the aroma it smelled like figs and roasted malts and of course it smelled like hazelnut

the taste was good but almost too hazelnut in the taste not saying i didn't like it, but i felt it was a hazelnut was not quite fused totally inside, but after drinking it some more realized it was really a standout beer no doubt

amazing mouthfeel, creamy without being too thick or soup like

really this is a great craft product

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%

First, let me say this is the beer that got me into craft brew, so it'll always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge

A: Typical brown ale, slightly hazy. About a finger head that dissipates quickly

S: Very rich with hazelnut with a sweetness I would compare to those butter toffee peanuts.

T: Fairly sweet and roasty, the hazelnut really hits you on the finish.

M: This beers biggest weakness. A little thin considering the dark sweet flavors this beer packs. Other than that, it's smooth, medium carbonation

This beer was my first favorite and is still a go-to for me. Perfect when you want a robust, rich brown ale that's not too complex.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales