Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Ratings: 4,202 |  Reviews: 1,451

2.02/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Pours a ever-so-slightly hazy coppery brown.The haziness is like the first bits of fog building up, enough to notice but not so much that it keeps the light from getting through. Beautiful, creamy tan head has great retention eventually dropping to a thick creamy film. Good lace.

Smell is ...weird and not in a good way. A combination of dry cardboard and nearly rancid nutmeats with some dirt mixed in. Not good. It's a pretty strong presence as well. I have 2 more bottles so here's hoping it just this one.

Taste is burnt malt, that funky nutmeat stank note and nothing else. Score is a little higher here than the smell received because it isn't so harsh and there is better balance (though not too much to actually balance with just two notes).

Medium bodied at best with a light, almost too light, effervescence. Smooth but nothing really appealing here. I won't drain pour it (it ain't warm Falstaff or Corona) but the thought is running around in my head like a 6 year old on Halloween.

I am really disappointed with this one. I love me some hazelnuts (aka filberts) and browns are a favorite style but I know Rogue is a crap shoot when I bought it. Been drinking their stuff for 10 years or more. I had Voodoo Maple Bacon again last week (SO GOOD!) and I've got a bomber of Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana chilling for a couple of weeks from now. The Shakespeare, FestiveAle, Chocolate & Double Choc. stouts, Dead Guy and Glen were great, too. The American Amber, XS Imp. Porter were very far from. The rest are middling offerings. But with such high ratings from over 2000 people I expected better from this one. I've two more bottles sitting in the fridge. If they prove better I'll gladly amend this review (like always) but if your still looking at this in Sept. 2013 or beyond, they were just as bad.

2.06/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This beer has a really big rateing ... That is not good, the reviews have to be coming from people that loved Boones Farms back in the seventies, or some of these cherry flavored Vodkas. There are great beers on here that have low rateings and novalty brews with high scores.

I enjoy bold experiments with craft brewing, ...but extracts make me want to gag. I do not believe the beer was brewed with any actual "Hazlenuts" at all!

So.... it was brewed in a way that put the hazlenut taste in the back of the throat, and it did have a bold malted honey taste, but I found myself just trying to get through it and find something else to wash that taste out of my mouth.

Rogue is one of my favorite breweries, this selection was not for me.

2.17/5  rDev -46.4%

2.2/5  rDev -45.7%

i dont know what the fuss is about this beer this does a major nothing for me i like brown ale but even the crappy browm ales has more taste then this and it sticks in the back of your thoart so i dont see why this isa good beer what a disappiont here

2.23/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.33/5  rDev -42.5%

Just altogether weird tasting. I don’t like hazelnut coffee or hazelnut beer. The sweet malt and sweet hazelnut are not in harmony with each other and the hops don’t really effectively counterbalance the overwhelming sweetness. This tan colored “beverage” with a fading beige/tan head has a hazelnut and sweet syrupy aroma. The thick oily body and sweet nutty taste, and hint of vanilla is just too much. The light lemony bitterness seems to be an afterthought. Do I detect a faint cappuccino flavor? An odd mealy mouthfeel begs for a chaser to wash away the sweet sludge. Have I mentioned sweet?

2.38/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a clear amber brown with a fluffy cream head.

S: Digging the extremely(!) nutty nose but a little nervous how it will taste in the context of a beer. It's nutty, like REALLY nutty.

T: Really, really strong hazelnut "nectar" taste. Like drinking pressed hazelnut juice with a bit of malt backbone and a slightly bitter hop finish. Really not sitting well on the palate.

M: Mouthfeel is a somewhat thin, thinner than I;d expect for a beer like this.

O: Overall the beer smelled good before tasting but after tasting the cloying hazelnut flavor became overbearing about four sips in. By 1/3 of the way through I found the unrelenting concentrated nut flavor to be somewhat nauseating. Sink poured the rest. Was expecting a lot more given the hype. Really seemed to lack subtlety in favor of "HEY WE PUT NUTS IN THIS BEER!" Would consider giving it another go but not anytime soon and not over $7 a bomber...

2.39/5  rDev -41%

2.39/5  rDev -41%

Pours brown/black with a nice firm medium thick tan head that quickly fades.

Sweet black chocolate, maraschino cherry, hazelnut nose. Quite pleasant and smells like fresh baked goods.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery and without character. A huge let down from the wonderful nose.

Flavors are simple, weak, watery and unappealing. Only hints of flavor, if any, beer has no character, no identity, no flavor and with not much of a finish other than simple yeast.

Yet another flop from what has to be the most overrated brewery in the country. I suspect that Rogue would be out of business if it didn't have such cool bottles! Just my opinion.

2.4/5  rDev -40.7%

2.42/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Not sure what everyone else is getting from this to rate it so high. I find it has a good color and a decent smell, a little sweet with a strange nutty/malty/chocolate. The taste a little strange, nutty, slight sweet and a little bitter. A very thin, watery feel. Overall drinkable but not a good beer. But who knows it could of been a old bottle, since rogue refuses to date its beer. Wouldn't get again.

2.44/5  rDev -39.8%

2.44/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass that yielded no head or lacing. Clear, dark brown in color. Hazelnut and some dark malt with a bit of hops in the nose. Hazelnut and the prickley carbonation were the first two things I noticed in the first sip. I think the hazelnut was a little bit overdone because it was in the forefront with the maltiness, carbonation and hops battling to show up. Relatively moderate in body with a bit too much carbonation. Overall, not that impressed. Not bad but I don't think I will spend another $5.00 for another bottle.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales