Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato

Alströms:
4.2

Ratings: 4,209 |  Reviews: 1,455
4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Aptly named, Brown Nectar appears toffee or burnt caramel colored when poured into a glass. The thin beige head created by this action fades fairly quickly. Its aroma is very malty and sweet, with a detectable nuttiness.

Medium bodied with qualities that might be described as bready, this brown ale also possesses milk chocolate and caramel flavors that stand out immediately. Hazelnut emerges in the drying finish, and as the malty sweetness fades, a pleasant but not overly aggressive hop character is revealed.

A memorable beer that I highly recommend.

A- A medium brown look.

S- smell of chocolate from the malts and Hazelnut with a hop present in the background.

T- Taste of chocolate and hazelnut with mild hops in the background.

M- smooth very refreshing of hazelnut and chocolate linger through out the sip.

D- Very good beer maybe not good for people that don't like hazelnut. But since I like the taste of hazelnut this works great for me.

Cheers..

22oz bomber into nonic.

Deep mahogany hue, borderlining on brown. A one finger tan head slowly settle to a thin cap.

Smooth and creamy aromas mixes with strong hazelnut. A little bit of toasty grain is in the background.

The hazelnut is again in the flavor, making a very smooth and creamy taste. Very smooth. A little bit of caramel comes in, along with a slightly bitter finish. Full bodied with high carbonation giving it a slightly fizzy feel. The finish is a bit of lingering hazelnut.

This is probably one of my favorite brown ales. The hazelnut is a great touch. Recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a nice brown with a tan head and a nice lace. Sweet chocolate, slight hazelnut coffee, caramel malt, and some subtle hops dominate the nose. Chocolate and caramel roasted malts are the first to hit the tongue. Some nice slighty spicy hops are just enough to balance. The finish has a great hazelnut character to it. Very smooth and creamy and extremely drinkable. Yet another great brew from Rogue. They just can't seem to make any bad beers.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Bomber to pint glass with no date or batch number as expected.

A: Pours with a huge 4 finger light brown colored moussey/foamy head. The head becomes rocky when numerous deep pockets of air are created as the head recedes at an average pace. The body is a medium dark amber-brown color with crimson highlights. Fair to good lacing.

S & T: Heavy malts in descending order: toasted nuts, caramel and chocolate. I find that the amount of hazelnut aroma (and flavor for that matter) is a perfectly controlled addition and highly suitable for a brown ale. (I don't like hazelnut in much else.) Even on the nose, a light lactose quality foreshadows what becomes evident on the palate. The flavor duration is long. The sweetness is moderate yet restrained and applaudable. Hardly bitter. Nice job Rogue.

M: The medium-full body produces one of the smoothest, creamiest mouthfeels that I've experienced in a brown ale. I'm not sure that this is to a fault even though the carbonation is softer than I prefer. Any more effervescence would have interfered with the gentle mouthfeel, and any less would be flirting with flat. I'm conflicted because I know there is room for improvement but I can't offer a suggestion.

D: Superb drinkability. Order one to accompany your last course or to *replace* your last course.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

served from a 22 oz. bomber. nice dark brown cola color with a nice cream colored head. a thin layer of head retained over the entire surface until the end.
smell: probably my favorite part of this brew. loads of chocolate covered nuts and a faint fruity aroma.
taste: a proper extention of the smell. chocolate, coffee, nuts, currants. Malty and sweet, but not too sweet since i was drinking it for dessert. May be too sweet for dinner...

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Another beer I've had many times but never written up a review for. It's a go to choice for some of my friends so a bottle was shared yesterday evening.

A: The pour is a perfectly clear light brown color with a nice off-white head.

S: Very, very nutty. Hazelnuts dominate the aroma and some nice notes of toffee, chocolate, and lightly roasted malt are present as well.

T: This beer is always such a good choice. A rich hazelnut flavor is the star of the show. There's also a wonderful creaminess to the beer which you would never expect. There is also some sweet malt and toffee flavor, but the beer doesn't get too sweet at any time.

M: A medium body with moderate carbonation. There's also that nice creaminess that I mentioned earlier.

D: Every time I drink this I remember why it's such a popular pick. A wonderfully easy drinking beer and great flavors that the beer geek or casual drinker can appreciate.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

No date on the bottle, but I know it's at least 6 months old.

Pours a deep chocolate brown; light behind it brings out a reddish hue. One-finger light tan head, good retention and lacing.

Smell is, as billed, nutty and malty, with a shot of butterscotch. I like brown ales with a nutty presence, and I'm really happy with this one. Hazelnut smell is quite potent, and mostly the odor of shells. It's sweet and woody, and blends really well with the sweetness and dark fruits of the malts.

Taste is quite good, but it's a little less integrated than the smell. There are two flavor peaks, one from the hazelnut, and one from the malts. The hazelnut comes through a little funny, more like the flavored syrup than the nut itself. Maybe that's the sweetness talking.

Mouthfeel is excellent - medium-bodied, smooth and slick, carbonation is spot-on. Finish is long, sweet, and delicious.

This beer is really good, and one of the better brown ales I've had. Great malt base, sweet and with nice dark fruit presence. The hazelnut works really well with the rest of the beer. Delicious.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

There's almost no head at all. The beer is an intriguing color... very dark brown, but there are some other colors hidden in there. Wonderful aroma - mostly toffee. It really tastes like hazelnut coffee. Toffee taste is in there, too. Some caramel as well. Strange brew, to be sure, but very good. Creamy and very drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Haven't had this one in over five years so it's as good a time as any to return. Beer pours a dark color with a thin fizzy tan head. Nice nutty aroma, with hints of coffee. Sweet flavor on the palette but not too sweet, nutty caramel and toffee flavors. Smooth and unobtrusive mouth feel. An outstanding beer in an under appreciated style, would definitely recommend anytime, but especially as a lighter desert style beer.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Had a friend highly recommend this, and for some reason I keep passing it by on the shelf. So I guess it's time to give it a shot, and Rogue always does me right.

This dark brown brew is topped off by a prolific light and bubbly tan head. The head fades in it's own good time, leaving a rolling, chunky lacing around the glass. The unique smell of hazelnut rises to the nose, and fits perfectly into a beer milieu. Underneath the hazelnut are some roasted malts, and a bit of caramel sweetness. The aromas are very complex and very satisfying. Taste is also complex, and has none of the somewhat watered down feel on the palate that many browns tend to have.

Tastes nutty, sweet and malty. There's a element of spice in the background. Mouth-feel is a bit creamy and medium-bodied. It has a perfect thickness to it that leaves it drinkable, yet hearty. The carbonation is pretty active and keeps things lively throughout the life of the drink. I am in love, and cannot believe I have waited so long to ask this beauty for a dance.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Dark and nutty. Red and brown with a big yellow rimmed head that sits for a bit.

S - Most nutty amazing smell thick aromas including some coffee and caramel

T - Clean and clear and then the nut follows. Expected it to be thicker and tastes a little watered down. With that said, I would drink this over a Newcastle anyday. Rogue is the go-to place right now for craft done mass.

M - Beer. Nothing more nothing less really.

D - All night and all day

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Bright medium/dark copper. Head quick to settle.

S- Aromas of coffee cake with walnuts, cinnamon, and vanilla glaze. Fresh-cracked hazelnuts.

T- Rich malt with a touch of sweetness. Nice lingering finish, which is where a touch of hops take the stage. Great flavor.

M, D- I applaud the restraint of hop bitterness in this brew, which is a big factor in its pleasant drinkability.

I have experienced some variability in this offering; some are very hazel-nutty, others reveal only faint hints of hazelnut but are significantly more roasty. All were good in any case.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

When poured out of the bottle the color produced was a clear dark brown with some tan foam and nice lace from start to finish. The smell of roasted malts and hazelnut was very appearent. The taste was of roasted malts, hazelnuts and a hint of chocolate. Well balance on the sweet/bitterness of the hops to make this ale a very pleasant tasting beer. I bought it at the brewery and was wondering if I could purchase it other than their. Oh well, just gives me another excuse to travel to Newport, Oregon to visit Rogue Ales again!

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation: A 22 oz. bomber from River City Cellars.

Appearance: Looks an appetizing, ruddy brown under the light. It has a cream-colored head that it retains partially after first being poured.

Smell: There are strong chocolate malt and hazelnut aromas in the nose. I also detect a note of caramel. Altogether, the beer has a creamy and slightly fruity smell to it that reminds me of the prune aroma of Russian kvas.

Taste: I seems to me that Rogue must use some of the same malts in its Shakespeare and Chocolate Stouts, because the chocolate and caramel flavors are familiar, if more subdued. Still, the balance is somewhat pleasant, although the chocolate wins out over the caramel. The chocolate gives way to a sweetness that hints at plums or prunes. The hops are noticeable, but not at all obtrusive. Finally, there’s the bit of hazelnut in the flavor that tops it all off.

Mouthfeel: With medium to low carbonation and little hops, this goes down quite smoothly. Still, it seems that it has a much thicker body than some of the other brown ales I’ve had. I feel a bit like I just drank a stout.

Drinkability: I could drink this with some nice, Texas barbecue or chocolate cake. I’m almost ashamed that I didn’t have any of either on hand when I had this. It turned out to be rather drinkable, though. I didn’t have any problem getting through the bomber.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Pours a nice dark brown with hints of red. Leaves some nice lacing

S: Malty with a nutty character, definitely some hazelnut

T: Matches the smell, with a nice sweetness that isn't overbearing

M: Creamy with a good amount of carbonation

D: Great drinkability, I'd definitely have a bomber along with desert any day

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Poured a nice reddish amber tone with a sliver of a head that soon dissipated, but left a nice lace around the rim.

S: Sure enough that's hazelnut in there. like opening up a can of nuts and getting a whiff of that nuttiness. Blends well with the sweetness hints of honey and caramel. Can't wait to taste this one, if the smell is any indication!

T&M: Smooth and mellow with that roasted, slight nutty taste. The combination of that nuttiness, along with the slightly sweet "honeysuckle" mellowness really brings this beer to the forefront. A great combination and one that i wasn't expecting to be this good. The mouthfeel on this one is so mellow, that it surprises you . Very easy on the palate!

D: I could drink this one all throughout the day and night. I can see sharing this one with people who don't normally venture much out of the beer aisle of your local grocery store. A nice gateway beer into more greatness out there. Rogue shines again.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Presently #9 in the American Brown Ale category here on BA.

Poured into my Cigar City snifter (one of my many).

A: Reddish-brown, with a slight amber hue when held up to the light, which gave it a luscious milk chocolate appearance.

S: As the name of the beer suggests, this smelled like hazelnuts.... along with a great undertow of Graham Cracker that was divine.

T: This is one of those rare treats that is easier to describe in term of food rather than beer: Hazelnut candy, toffee, and a caramel offering that was reminiscent of flan and/or creme brulee.

M: No booze detected whatsoever, the carbonation was rather high, but worked pretty well considering the rather light, fluffy feel of the beer overall. No lacing whatsoever.

O: This has always been one of my favorite brown ales and is definitely my go to when I'm in the mood for this style. Only ranked #9? WTF?

There IS a God!

Appearance: When I first cracked the bottle open, suds spewed everywhere as if I had popped champagne. Not a great first impression, but I quickly forgave it. I poured it in a glass and got a nice and creamy tan head, and a beer with a deep brown color. Nice.

Smell: Heavy malts, caramel, and obviously, hazelnut. There's no hop presence in the smell or taste with this one, I can say that right now. That's to be expected though.

Taste/feel: It's just what you'd expect from a quality hazelnut flavored beer. It has a nice, deep, rich hazelnut and malt flavor. The aftertaste consists of coffee and maybe even some chocolate in the background. Pretty complex, and pretty damn delicious as well. The feel suits the beer well -- medium carbonation and feel, making this an easy drinking beer.

My taste buds liked Hazelnut Brown from Sam Adams, so I decided to try this one out, and I couldn't be happier with that choice ... suddenly one of my favorite beers. I don't think I could drink more than one pint in a session, but good lord this is fantastic for "desserty beer" fans.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Bought a 22 oz. bottle from the store. It poured a nice rich brown with a creamy head that did not last long. The nutty smell hit me right away. This beer had rich nutty tasty that was also slightly creamy. I could easily drink a few more of these and am now wishing I bought atleast one more bottle.

I highly recommend this to those who haven't tried it. It's become one of my favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Thank you Jackson, Wyoming. I have now had a hazelnut beer though I still haven't eaten a real hazelnut all by itself. Weird. This beer poured a rich, rootbeer/ebony brown with a creamy tan head. I was amazed by how the aromas were detectable from three feet away! Luckily the smell was complex and inviting; mostly molasses-sweet/nutty malts, with a hint of roasted coffee. The sweet and nutty malts were there all the way, followed by an acidic, slightly tart, nutty, dry finish. Very well balanced. I have not had many nut browns, but this is bound to be one of the best (and most unusual?).

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

I enjoyed drinking this beer. It's a dark redish color with tan lace. Very creamy. While drinking I notice a nutty, particular hazelnut taste with a very malty smell. Not too much carbonation. Very sweet, perfect compliment for a dessert. Would definitely drink it again...and again!

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales