Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Ratings: 4,172 |  Reviews: 1,444

2.76/5  rDev -31.9%

2.76/5  rDev -31.9%

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I don't think bitter is the right word, but it was just too bitter for my palate.

A: A nice amber color with a good brownish head the went away fairly quickly. A quality product.

S: I don't get any hazelnut notes, but there is definitely sweetness. Maybe Carmel?

T: Helps if this one warms a bit. This is a beer that is meant to be sipped and examined, instead of downed.

M: I like brown ales, but there is something about this one that just didn't do it for me on the palate. Had a weird taste that I can't describe. I've never had a hazelnut flavored beer and that could be my problem.

D: Again, since this didn't do it for me, the drinkability wasn't there for me. I had a hard time wanting to go back for more sips.

I can see why some would really enjoy this, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

2.77/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazelnuts? Where? Other than that, it's just an okay Brown Ale. Wouldn't bang again!

2.79/5  rDev -31.1%

Reviewed 6/11/2006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a black/dark brown colored body, with nearly no head, tan in color. Chocolately, nutty aroma, and slight coffee. Has a taste of chocolate, nuts, coffee. Coffee aftertaste. Kind of watery. Reminds me of a porter.

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

First had: on tap at Gullifty's, Wayne, PA

This was ok, but it was really lacking in flavor, which was disappointing considering the promise of hazelnut. I mean I wasn't expecting a Nutella beer, but...hmm... hmmm...

Poured a dark tea brown with a small off-white head that settled to a thin ring of bubbles. Toasty malts in the aroma, and not much else; slightly nutty. Taste: it's a brown ale. Malts and...malts, some caramel, a bit of nuttiness, brown sugar, and some coffee bitterness. Not really hazelnut though. Medium body, somewhat drinkable, but pretty bland I thought.

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a deep dark brown, topped with a two to three finger creamy khaki head, leaves webs of lacing.
Great aroma, very robust, nuts, pine and caramel, light chocolate note.
Very strongly nut flavored - hazelnut I suppose - comes across better in the aftertaste. Sweet, caramel, pine toffee, and light chocolate, but there is too much hazelnut it's overwhelming.
Medium bodied and smooth, would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream. It could have been a lot better.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales