Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Ratings: 4,191 |  Reviews: 1,448
3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Beautiful. Chestnut autumn brown. Slightly cloudy. 1/4 finger head.

S: Harmonious. Nutty, maple, sweet. The smell teases me with just enough to make me want to pursue.

T: Strong hazelnut influence initially, a tart twinge, then as it courses down the palate, caramel, toffee, and coffee.

M: This is a tightrope walk. On one side, the flavor encourages me to speak fondly, but on the other, the lack of overall mouth presence and carbonation sends a warning flag.

O: What better to accompany a Sunday brunch than some Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Pancakes + Breakfast Scrambler + Hazelnut Brown Nectar = Win

2.84/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

After trying this beer, I realized that I actually had tasted some good beer in my life and this wasn't it. The pour was flat with the head disappearing in seconds and a disappointed few bubbles rising to the top from the center of the bottom of the glass. The beer in appearance was cloudy almost murky. Meanwhile, after tasting it the taste was as flat as its pour.

Ok, maybe I'm not being fair. The first actual drink or the beer was delicious but every one after that was "thin" referring to the consistency. I did get a slight note of hazelnut and what seemed to be maybe nutmeg.

The cost was really fair (6 bucks), you can tell they put know what their doing the beer was just a miss for me.

So with everything I've babbled on about, go out and try it for yourself and write your own review.

4.09/5  rDev +1%

Still enjoying my trip through the last 20 or so Beer of Fame Beers. This one pours a clear reddish amber with a medium size antique white head. The head fades to a covering of the glass. Some lacing.

Aroma is the strong point of this beer. Potent, sweet malts, vanilla and hazelnut extract. Very nice

Taste is not quite up the the smell in impressiveness but has all the same elements. Tasty, the hazelnut really perks up the Brown Ale.

Mouthfeel is smooth and rich. Nicely carbonated, flavors blended very well.

I drank the whole bomber watching football. Great sipping beer with junk food.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: A semi-aggressive pour resulted in a nice 1/4" beige head that retired to a thin foamy ring. Decent lacing when I tilt my glass. A darker brown glow was present when held up to the light.

Smell: A relatively light aroma of roasted hazelnuts, a little bit of toffee, vanilla and hint of malt. I was expecting a lot more going on with the nose but I found it too light for my liking.

Taste: Malty vanilla sweetness, definitive hazelnut & toffee middle with an ever so slight bitterness on the finish. Wow, the taste was much better than the smell. I can see why this beer does so well in the ratings with taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy on the tongue with the perfect level of carbonation.

Overall: A very easy drinking brown ale with a lot of flavor. Rogue surely nailed the style with this beer. If I'm going to drink a Rogue beer over 6% ABV my preference would still be Dead Guy Ale.

4.26/5  rDev +5.2%

A: pours a medium light brown with amber and reddish tones around the edges. Good carbonation, nice head with large bubbles that quickly dissipates. Average lacing that recedes fairly quickly.

S: Very strong smell of hazelnut, wood, vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch. One of the most unique and appealing noses I've ever experienced in a beer, particularly in a nut brown ale.

T: Sweet hazelnut with a nicely balanced mixture of the aforementioned flavors and mild hoppy bitterness toward the end. The taste isn't quite as remarkable as the nose, but is still good.

M: medium bodied and smooth. Very drinkable. I could drink about as much of this as guy on the label. (A lot)

O: very unique within the style. Sweeter and more distinguished than any other nut brown ale I've had, which admittedly isn't all that many. I'll be buying this one again and I'd recommend you give it a try.

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%

Recieved from draft in a pint glass at a resaurant that opened less than a week ago.

Appearance - Clear brown in color with reddish hues and no head, possibly as a result of the bartender's pour technique - pun not intended. Carbonation fizzing up through the center. Light lacing that briefly clung to the sides.

Smell - Sweet nutty malts followed by hazelnut-coffee. Hint of floral hops. Earthiness of dark fruit. Smells more complex than it looks. Oh, and more malts.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Immediate hazelnut malt-goodness. Very sweet. At first sip, it seemed kind of ordinary, but upon taking in more and allowing it to roll on the tongue a lot of further depth of flavor emerges. Light carbonation that went well with the hops to balance the sweetness perfectly. Very smooth. Initially felt light, but has a medium weight to it.

Overall: This is a something I'd want as a session beer and openly proclaimed such, but it needs to be about 2% lower in ABV for that to happen. I wonder how much was missed out on from the draft pour. It was excellent in flavor and feel. Definitely a beer I'd go back for - probably the best American Brown Ale I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Pours a very dark caramel brown with yellow-orange highlights and a 2 finger creamy light tan head which dissipates into fairly large bubbles. Nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted hazelnuts and and caramel with a touch of vanilla and butter layered on top of the mild mustiness I usually get from a brown ale.

Taste: Vanilla up front followed by hazelnut and sweet malt before ending with mildly bitter hops. Aftertaste is a mix of nuttiness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

Drinkability: High drinkability. Finishing a bomber by yourself will be no problem.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. The hazelnut really adds a nice character to the brown ale style. I'd recommend giving this one a try.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown body, very little head (just a ring around the outside where the beer borders the glass).

Smell: Very inviting smells of creamy coffee, caramel, and soft nuts (almonds, hazelnut).

Taste: The taste is of nutty sweet malts, toffee, and more toasty nuts. The beer has a very smooth finish and a nutty aftertaste lingers well after the last sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer, low-moderate carbonation, good feel, and VERY drinkable. Could easily drink several of these as they go down smooth and delicious.

Overall: Great beer to start my night; well-pleased with an outstanding beer from Rogue. Can't speak for the bottle, but if you get the chance to try on tap, it's a must-do!

4.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bomber bottle.

A: a hazy, murky slightly reddish-brown. reddish creamy head doesnt exactly billow. reasonable retention. definitely not the best looking beer ive poured.

S: rich, creamy, hazelnut aroma. im kind of struggling to find anything else. not that it is a bad aroma, but rather one-note.

T: the nuttyness in this thing is awesome. not to be completely outdone there is a milk chocolate flavor as well. it really gives the impression of chewing on a decadent dessert chocolate with hazelnut filling. very unique and delicious.

M: moderate to full carbonation on a lighter-side medium body.

D: different for a brown considering the lack of roasted malt, but still very delicious brew. it's light drinking body makes it very quaffable.

4.09/5  rDev +1%

Clear mahogany brown with a 1 finger butter colored head. Head reduces quickly with little to no lace to speak of.

Nuts and brown sugar/molasses nose.

Very toasted flavor with a prominent nuttiness from the hazelnut infused malt. Brown sugar sweetness and a crazy buttery/butterscotch thing going on. Nuttiness lingers in the finish. Lightly sweet overall, but maintains a fair balance.

Smooth, even mouthfeel.

Unique and enjoyable overall.

3.14/5  rDev -22.5%

A - I was impressed when i poured the beer. nice brown dense color, almost going to dark red. Light head, didnt last to long.

S - not impressed at all. i was hoping a better kick of nutty essence. normal brown ale.

T - Roasted malt, with caramel. A light essence of nuts,(hazelnut? ). very simple flavor.

M - Clear, watery, light. very thin beer. light carbonation. easy to swallow and savory.

O - Good brown ale, but i was expecting more thanks the advertising behind the beer. I would try it again, but its not my favorite.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Tan-tinged garnet with off white film. Red liquorice and faint nut on the nose.
Raspberry jam and some brown toast and a sweet hazelnut finish and no hops that I notice. Medium, some chew, round.

Perfectly medium body and flavor. A substantial presence but still very drinkable. Just a bit too fizzy to be great. I could drink this all November.

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, off white, long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: A surprisingly powerful aroma of malt, that brown ale nuttiness, and some fruit.

T: Tasted mainly of the nutty quality (the hazelnut I assume), roasted malt, some dark fruits, and a light amount of hops. Easily the most complex, flavorful and enjoyable brown ale I've tasted.

M: A lot of carbonation with a super smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is a brilliant example of an American Brown Ale. Sweet-tasting, lots of personality, well-balanced - everything you want.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Smells of thick malts and brown sugar, with a hint of maple syrup.

On the tongue, however, the first noticeable flavor is that of hazelnuts, which comes across with a delicate strength that nicely fills the mouth. This subsumes slightly to give way to the malts, and with six different kinds of these blended in, there are a panoply of flavors to explore. Further nutty grain flavors are present here, reminiscent of Grape Nuts cereal and pecan oils, as well as light touches of chocolate. The brown sugars and maple syrups from the nose come back here, along with hints of caramel or toffee. Hops are set at medium, providing a nice background grapefruit-like bitterness to soften the blow of so many sugars.

Initially, I will admit that I was hesitant to try a brew with hazelnut flavors--I kept imagining the overly-syruped coffees at the local java joint--but I was pleasantly surprised to be dead wrong. Overall, I find this to be a wonderfully complex brew, with many layers and nuances to explore.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance - Dark amber, light tan creamy head with nice retention.

Smell - Vanilla, hazelnut, cocoa dominate the aroma with some caramel in the background.

Taste - Flavor follows the aroma with a rich, hazelnut character and caramel malt. A very slight amount of the bitterness keeps it from being too sweet and keeps you wanting more. Tastes almost like a root beer float, delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation but fitting for the style, very smooth and weighs nicely on the palate.

Overall - An amazing twist on a brown ale, you could down more than a few of these.

2.74/5  rDev -32.3%

Was excited to try this on tap and the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete, but I didn't make it in time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't last long.

So, when I saw a bomber at Shep's Deli, I figured I should give it a go - it being the heralded beer that it is. As you can see by the grade, I'm disappointed by my experience.

A: Attractive copper. Light for an American Brown, but pretty nonetheless.

S: Faint. Exceedingly faint. I can just make out some malt hidden deep beneath what smells like some kind of liquid sugar extract. Maybe some honey too.

T: Something is amiss. There's an odd cooked vegetable flavor that keeps peaking through. I can taste the malt more than I can smell it, but it still gives way to that sweetness - and that vegetable flavor. If this beer contains hops, you wouldn't know it.

M: It's clean, but it's thin. I'd rate it lower for being thin, but with the unpleasant taste, I'm actually grateful.

O: I think I'm being a little generous by rating it as average. For the price, it's certainly well below average. There are moments between the vegetable and the sweetness that I was able to enjoy the brew. They were just too few.

Maybe I got a bad bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy medium-dark brown with nice bubbles. Two-finger off-white and creamy head that diminished slowly leaving very nice lacing.

S: Strong scent of toasted nuttiness. I can smell the hazelnut too. Very nice.

T: Just the right amount of sweetness and earthy hop bitterness to balance. No flaws that I can detect. An nice long finish that is very nutty and makes me want to drink more.

M: Light to medium body that is nice and creamy with soft carbonation. The body could be a bit fuller, but the feel is still very nice.

O: I really like this brown ale. The hazelnut is nice and subtle, not off-putting at all. It sets this one apart from other brown ales. One of my new favorites.

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

From a good looking 22oz bomber 8/7/11

A-The head was a nice off color white. The body was a gorgeous brown on the darker side, but was not too dark that you could not see thru.

S- The smell reminded me of a nutty french vanilla coffee blend. Had a nice aroma of sweet nutty caramel.

T- The taste sent my senses on a rollercoaster ride thru sweetness up a hill a nuttiness and down with slight candied undertone. A truley excellent brown ale. The name of the beer fits perfectly.

M-The beer was not too heavy nor too light, it was just right. Could drink more then one of these any night. The beer was carbonated ,but not overly carbonated.

o- I liked this beer a lot. I have not tried to many Rogues beers, but saw this in a local six pack shop and decided to take it for a whirl. It is a bit on the sweet side, but I think it adds lots of character to the beer. It is not too sweet like other beers I have encountered. It is also not too bitter. I would reccommend this beer to anyone, if they do not know much about beers or are looking for something new to try. I had mine after dinner and it felt like a very pleasant dessert.

3.99/5  rDev -1.5%

Say what you want about Rogue, but Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a tasty beer. I say that because I’ve had it multiple times in the past and enjoyed it on every occasion. I’ve never had the opportunity to sit down and really review it, but I’m sure it will hold up under some scrutiny now:

A: Reddish-brown body that shines in the light only slightly. After an aggressive pour, the head rises a big and silky tan. Retention could be a little better, but the lacing that’s left is commendable. It’s not an overly-impressive look, but appearances aren’t everything, of course.

S: This is where things get good. At first whiff, a myriad of dreamy sweets fill the nose – maple cream candies, chocolate mousse, hazelnut truffles. The sticky sweetness of it all is bigger than everything else, which I don’t mind at all; the sexiness of the nose is in the sugars, and that’s ok. There are some hints of barley and slight roasted grains that come through, too, but they end up getting engulfed before they can make a reasonable attempt at presentation. Thus, the nose remains a haven for lovely residual sugars.

T: This one is an easy drinker, for sure. The sweets are foremost on the tongue; hazelnut, coffee cream, chocolate, and pure brown sugar are the main markers. The fruit tastes of the malts are bigger than I remember, too - they add a significant portion of strawberry cream notes to the mix. The grains aren’t all good, though, duly noted as I get a slight hint of stale, fabricated malt tastes toward the finish (just like in Dead Guy Ale); I'm getting hints of bran flake cereal now and again. However, the aftertaste is saved by the yeasts – bright and lemony, they add a zest that carries the factory malts to a crisper, more refreshing finish.

M: Like the other Rogue beers I’ve tried, it’s thin. It slides right over your tongue to the back of your throat without even a hesitation; I guess some people call that “drinkability.” I feel a little differently about that word, though, especially when it comes to a palate that would have been so great with a thicker presence.

O: What Rogue advertises, they do; I’ll give them that. They don’t sell this as a porter, a stout, or even an imperial ale; it’s a brown ale or a “nectar,” as the bottle puts it. While this may not be the thickest, most jaw-dropping beer you’d ever have, they do work the flavors out really well. It’s a very pleasant drinking experience, especially as a accompaniment to food; if you need something sugary enough to satisfy your sweet tooth during a meal, but light enough to be refreshing, this beer’s for you.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

I like what Rogue does and enjoy most of their offerings.

I poured the large bottle into a Duvel tulip at about 44 degrees. It was a dark caramel brown color with some amber hues in the rim. There was a 2 inch fluffy head the color of roasted peanuts. The foam was not very sticky producing only minimal lacing. The head receded to a lasting ring of bubbly foam.

I believe 44 degrees is too cold. Much more fragrance and flavor was observed beginning at 50 degrees.

The smell was of sweet malts and nuttiness. As it warmed, the nuttiness was more prominent with a hazelnut/nutella quality.

The flavors were sweet nutty and malty with a bit of hops in the last half along with some astringent nut bite. As it warmed, I got a hit of coffee which disappeared as it continued to warm. Again, it tasted better around 50 degrees than 44.

It was not particularly complex but good and balanced. It wasn't as full bodied as the Samuel Smith's nut brown ale and I'd say probably one notch below the Samuel Smith overall.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

Bottle date: Rogue don't care, so neither do I!

A: Pours a brown ale with a single finger of fine peanut head. Then I notice excellent clarity with blazing red where light comes through. The head falls to a solid sheet of the same. No lacing.

S: Nose is of hazelnut and pancake batter. Some hints of brown sugar and light malts. Simple, straitforward, nice.

T: Hmm, nice and roasty, dry and nutty. Slightly bready with sweetness. Again, simple and straitforward, nice.

M: Medium with moderate to hi carb. Dry finish.

O: Well done beer. Not much of a Rogue fan, but this is good stuff. I recall having this several years ago and really digging it, but didn't think that memory would serve consistent. Right on.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Pours a dark brown, root beer colour, finger of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Very nutty on the nose, touch of carmael and milk chocolate.

T - The nutty notes dominate, the caramel and cocoa come through on the finish with toasted almonds that linger.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and finishes wet.

O - There's a reason this is top rated. If you have access to it, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not grabbing several bottles.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Pretty good beer. Aromas of roasted nut, caramel, and some fruity notes. Very subtle hints of chocolate.

Taste follows the nose. Nice roasted character. Nutty... with loads of caramel flavor from all the crystal malts included. Nothing too overly aggressive. Sort of sweet of front that gets cut down to a nice dry finish.

Very nice tasting beer. Highly drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at the Village Draft House in Raleigh

Arrived a a brown amber color with a thin lacing of head. Smells is malty with a great deal of hazelnut coming through. Taste is sweet, malty, nutty; roasted and caramel malts with a great amount of hazelnut. So well balanced. Very low carbonation, medium to full bodied.

Overall, this was a great beer. The hazelnut was definitely the main focus in nose and taste, but did not overwhelm the senses. What a great change of pace from the typical brown ale. I would be willing to trade my next cup of specialty coffee for this any time.

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle into Duvel Green tulip.

A: Pours a dark cranberry red with a finger of oily light brown head that faded into a thin collar leaving little lace.
S: Surprisingly enough this brew smells strongly of hazelnuts. There is definitely a roasted nut quality to it. It’s full smelling, in a hard to explain way. It’s like the fat content and oil from the nut is translating to the nose. There is also a touch of sweet caramel malt behind it. Very interesting smelling.
T: Follows the nose with a full, roasted, nutty flavor. The sweet malt pokes through a bit more than in the smell though, and reminds me that this is an amber ale and not a porter. I get hints of red grapes, raisins, nutmeg and maybe cocoa as well.
M: Medium-full bodied with soft yet frothy carbonation. The mouthfeel is a tad thin however, and falls off a bit in the finish. It’s not really distracting though.
O: Thoroughly enjoyable albeit not fantastic. Glad I tried it once, and I would go back to again if I needed something nutty.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales