Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Reviews: 1,441 | Ratings: 4,160
4.82/5  rDev +19%

Deep brown with a light reddish tint, light beige lace
Caramel malty and a hint of the nuttiness in the nose
Super chewy with a stickiness that lingers
Very malty with a nutty toffee flavor that jumps to your tongue. A light bit of spicy hop to keep it from being too sweet. Long, sweet toffee caramel nut finish.
Great beer, not hoppy like most Rogues, but almost perfect. always a favorite.

3.86/5  rDev -4.7%

Got this on tap at the Yardhouse in San Diego, CA. Was served with a thin white head, that last about a minute. Cherry wood color in the body. Mild woody smells. i couldn't pick much else apart because i think i may have had a cold. Creamy frothy feeling going down with the post mouthfeel being dry. I would say the drinkability on this one is pretty high. They didn't go overboard with this one. Perfect for a brown!! Too many beer companies just go to the extreme just for the sake of being extreme. It was nice to have a regular great tasting beer for once. Was sweet till the last drop.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

I'm not usually a Brown ale drinker, but I love this beer and Rogue has been consistant with this one for years now. A little on the sweet side, you can taste the Hazelnut (or as Oregonians call 'em, Filberts), but it's not too much. Very clean and drinkable beer. I had one on tap at the brewery a while back and I'd say it was even smoother. Always a good choice to pair with a meal.

4.64/5  rDev +14.6%

A - deep crimson brown in color with a pretty nice foamy tan head that retains fairly, but only leaves a small amount of lacing. Lucid.

S - Very bold aromas of hazelnut and brown sugar (big surprise there) in the nose. It really gets my mouth watering for that first sip. If only I could stop smelling it....As it warms, I think i'm getting a more roasted aroma. It's pretty damn good

T&M - Delicious. A very rich, nutty flavor. A hint of some earthy hops blending with a roasty character in the finish. Light bodied. Good carbonation helps the flavors develop and aids the drinkability. The flavors develop and endure very well when held to the tongue. I'd like the flavor to be a bit fuller, but it's really damn good.

D - Man, I could easily knock these down one after the other. It drinks so easy: great flavor, light body, abv isn't too high...A very tasty, very sessionable brown ale, to say the least.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

1 pint 6 oz bottle into a mug.

This pours a nice dark copper color with a creamy brownish head. Nicely carbonated. A good looking beer. This has a sweet caramel smell, nothing that knocks me out, but nothing off putting either. The smell actually gets better as the head settles. In a word this tastes nutty. It's just a hair on the bitter side. I'm not a huge fan, but I've had worse. This is obviously a personal preference, so I'm not going to dock it too much. It has a nice feel to it, almost a little creamy. The texture and the ABV lead to a highly drinkable beer. I couldn't, again the style isn't just for me, but I think everyone should at least give this a shot.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance is a clear, inviting brown with good lacing as you go.

Aroma is quite impressive; nothing short of hazelnut, roasty malt, and the smallest tad of hop in the background.

Taste is a smooth, balanced brown - somewhat mild, overall, for rogue - but thankfully they tame this down so you can really taste the hazelnut; there is no missing or mistaking it. Personally, I'm not a big hazelnut guy, but I must admit I'm impressed that they pin down the flavor and meld it so well with the brown ale overall.

The beer sits light on your tongue, not heavy or overbearing by any stretch. Overall quite a pleasant experience; one of the better examples of a flavored beer, for sure. If you're a brown ale type, and have a thing for hazelut in other beverage arenas, you can't pass this one up.

2.42/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Not sure what everyone else is getting from this to rate it so high. I find it has a good color and a decent smell, a little sweet with a strange nutty/malty/chocolate. The taste a little strange, nutty, slight sweet and a little bitter. A very thin, watery feel. Overall drinkable but not a good beer. But who knows it could of been a old bottle, since rogue refuses to date its beer. Wouldn't get again.

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Now that's what a beer should look like! Dark brown with some ruby highlights, and slightly hazy. Nice fluffy white tan head that disapears at a steady rate leaving a thin skin on the top of the beer.

S: Roasted malts overtaken by maple syrup. I'd be lying if I said it didn't smell good, but it definatly dosn't smell much like beer.

T: Roasted malts are first to come out, not strong, but still good. Midtaste some bitterness comes forward as well as the maple syrup flavor detected in the nose. Very good balance of typical brown ale roasted malts and hazelnut.

M: Medium bodied and a very damn smooth beer.

D: I tend to not like beers that have other flavors added to them such as this one, however this was seems to work. I don't drink this one often, but every now and then (such as today) I'll get a craving for it. Sometimes this beer just hits the spot.

*note* Since I reviewed this beer I have been drinking one of these almost everynight! It's damn addictive and damn good, I had to jack up some of my points because of that.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

650ml poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Deep amber brown color with a tan head 2 big fingers on there kinda frothy. Very little in the way of lacing.

Smell - Hazelnuts and malts with maybe a little caramel in there which is common for the style.

Taste - Like nutty goodness the malts and caramel aren't overpowering at all which I love in a brown. Hops are very toned down almost not there, with an after taste of hazelnut and malt.

Mouthfeel - Refreshing and smooth, medium body with light carbonation. Not much to say other than it feels so pleasant in the mouth with only a very very faint dryness which one can ignore.

Overall - An excellent example of the style with the right abv and ibu, I wish it came in smaller bottles as its biggest down side is the 6.99 for a bomber. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Upon opening some smoke comes out. Upon pouring a two finger head forms. THe color of the head is a off white tannish. It retains well and only laces a bit. The body is pretty much opaque. It is a dark brown. You can't really see much bubbles rise because of the opaque color.

The smell is of malts, caramel and molasses. I can smell a bit of the hazelnut but the other sweet tones of the beer come in more in the aroma.

The taste is of malts of course with hazelnut tones. Caramel, nutty tones, and molasses also come in with the taste. It has a nice bitter overall taste with maybe some hops but mostly those sweeter flavors come in with the taste and aftertaste.

Overall its a really nice beer to drink. Its a bit expensive at 8 bucks but its worth it. Give it a try.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

One of the best uses of "flavor" ever brewed. A staple of mine in college. Yeah, I went to school, what of it? But serious now, what a nice beer. I think I once drank four 22s. if i didn't, I wanted to. Er, should have. Harder to find down here in SoCal, but I found two places that sell it. Menaing I'm twice asa lucky as you. A surprisingly delicious brew that you and everyone you know will love. Go get it!

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%

This is a treat for me. This pours a nice dark brown with an off white head. Little retention and virtually no lacing. Sweet nutty nose. Hints of bitter chocolate and a light hops profile. A hint of hops up front, followed by bitter chocolate and bready malts, then, at last, back back back back waaay back in the aftertaste, roasted hazelnut. The roasted hazelnut flavor just clings in the mouth. Excellent. Very smooth, full bodied brew. Creamy. This was my second brew from Rogue to ever try. I just had the new Hazelnut from them the other day, I thought it was excellent, in fact I thought i liked it more. Now that I'm drinking the original, I'm glad I bought several bottles to store. I had forgotten how awesome this brew is. Excellent.

3.64/5  rDev -10.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into pub glass.
Pours a dark brown with a red tint. Translucent. A big, creamy head forms but dissipates quickly.
Huge caramel aroma with a faint underlying smell of the perles.
This tastes unbelievable. Wicked malty. An amazing balancing act between bitter malty and sweet malty. This is like drinking a big piece of some sort of autumn dessert cake, all the while never letting you forget that your drinking beer. Very little hop aroma or flavor but just the right amount of citric bittering hop.
Mouthfeel rocks, real creamy for a brown.
Here is my gripe about this beer.; It's drinkable for the first 12 oz.'s but it loses carbonation fast after that. ( and I'm not a slow drinker)
I feel like the carbonation is necessary to balance all the strong flavors in this ale (as noted at the top) and they become muddled and overpowering.
Also the brew seemed to turn a bit murky coinciding with the loss of carb. Now thats not something I mind at all but I couldn't help thinking that it looked like it tasted toward the end; garbled and sludgy.
I will absolutely buy this many more times but I'll either look for smaller bottles or share it with someone.
O.K. or I'll just slam the thing.

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

A- Nice head, that dissipates after a moment, but a very nice pour. I didn't have much lacing, but otherwise, the beer is really nice to look at.

S- Nutty, coffee kind of smell. Smells like toasted malts, and reminds me of sitting by a warm fire.

T- Sweet, but not too much so, smooth, so smooth... mellow taste that manages to incorporate a little bit of slight hops, and give it a slight kick. Really complex and beautiful taste.

F- So smooth. Perfect carbonation. This beer is so smooth I could picture having one, and wondering where it went.

O- Love it. I think it's seriously a great beer.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

From a 22oz bomber, this one poured a deep clear ruby brown with an inch of tight tan head withplenty of lace. The nose is a healthy dose of malt and balanced hops with hazelnut and roasted notes, very alluring. The taste is heavy n the malt with roasted hazelnuts, hints of maple syrup, and earthy hops. the finish is rounded out with malts and slight hop bittering. This is really quite a fine drink, smooth and rich mouthfeel with medium carbonation that goes down easy. I had it solo, but could imagine this pairing with a number of different foods from appetizers to desserts.. well done..

3.49/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours from the bomber a mahogany red-brown, mostly opaque and with a creamy light tan head. A little bit of sticky lacing. One of the better-looking brown ales I've seen. Smell is dominated by a musty smell of hazelnut and toast, with slight notes of bitter chocolates.

Again, I swear this beer is like breakfast! It tastes like toast with a rich, sweet hazelnut butter spread on it. The hazelnut & toasty flavors are freaking delicious, but they dominate this beer through and through. It becomes a bit one dimensional after a while. There is some detectable hop in the finish and a "musty" character, but that's it. A tasty brew, but falls a bit short in keeping my interest. It's very nice, thick & creamy in the mouth and hardly carbonated, which does some nice things with the flavor but carbonation could be bumped up.

Something about this beer just doesn't feel "complete" to me. I normally love hazelnut, but I think that it might be taking a bit too much away from this as a beer. Tasty--just an odd feeling that what I'm drinking needs a little extra kick of some sort.

EDIT: I'm bumping up the "smell" score. After a while of having the bomber out, slowly making my way through it, the room smells absolutely wonderful! That's a plus, for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Love this beer! Lots of hazelnut, vanilla nuttiness. Wish the ABV was a little higher or maybe even an imperial version. Currently sipping on a 'Snicker's' which is half Rogue Double Chocolate Stout and Hazelnut Brown Nectar (although they will tell you to use regular chocolate stout which isn't nearly as good). And it does taste like snicker's.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a light but solid head, a dark brown, caramel coloring. The head dissipates rather quickly, leaving a think layer. Has the smell of caramel, malts, and maybe something like a raisin aroma. Upon tasting it has an excellent, light, solid, but not overbearing nutty brown, malty, caramel flavor. Very satisfying. Enough subtlety to not scare one off, but enough flavor to know its good. Very solid, yet not heavy mouthfeel. More of a sipping beer because of its complexity and quality, but go ahead and put a couple back.

4.19/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - medium brown, slightly reddish tint. Thought it would be darker. Nice tan head, no lacing on mine once it dissipated.

S - smell is great on this one. Hazelnut dominates this one (I admit, it's my favorite creamer in my coffee, plus I've always got Frangelico on hand), but you also get maple syrup, molasses, toffee, even buttery aromas...I feel like I'm about to have a creme brulee or something, smell is totally dessert and in my opinion, the best part of this beer.

T - wonderful. Got this because I'm normally into heavier beers but wasn't feeling it today, and this was great. Not too sweet at all--smells like dessert but this isn't a dessert beer. You can definitely taste the hazelnut, but it's not too over-the-top. There's a bit of coffee in there as well, but it's not overly bitter. Deliciously malty.

M - delicious, very smooth. Carbonation is just right.

D - great. I won't have any problem putting away this bomber. Best brown I've had, I think. Not my favorite style at all (though now I want to try more), but I'd definitely drink this again when the mood strikes.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle left in the fridge for months after the rest of the case had been consumed.

An enjoyable enough brew, but I feel as if anything I say is going to come off as a backhanded compliment. There's an interesting tangy quality which I presume to be the hazelnut (however it is achieved) that certainly sets it apart from other brown beers. It's clean and refreshing, only an understated fruitiness and a pleasant enough aftertaste and tingly sensation on the tongue. I could easily drink these one after another and have in the past. It comes across more as a lager than as an ale, which is the way I generally prefer my beers - I'm not big on esters and fruity flavors. And defying categorization in general is a plus - I ascribe when I can to the "Beer is Beer" notion and this certainly fits the bill - and calling it an "American Brown Ale" in recognition of the spirit of independence it evokes is appropriate.

The dude on the label is about as 'rogue' as I am, to boot...

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a nonick from the 22oz. bomber. Pours beautifully creating a brown, slightly hazy orange, with a significant head. Nutty aroma. Minimal to no hops. The taste was creamy, with a nutty finish and no hops. Mouthfeel is almost ideal.

Very drinkable.

2.06/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This beer has a really big rateing ... That is not good, the reviews have to be coming from people that loved Boones Farms back in the seventies, or some of these cherry flavored Vodkas. There are great beers on here that have low rateings and novalty brews with high scores.

I enjoy bold experiments with craft brewing, ...but extracts make me want to gag. I do not believe the beer was brewed with any actual "Hazlenuts" at all!

So.... it was brewed in a way that put the hazlenut taste in the back of the throat, and it did have a bold malted honey taste, but I found myself just trying to get through it and find something else to wash that taste out of my mouth.

Rogue is one of my favorite breweries, this selection was not for me.

3.16/5  rDev -22%

22oz bomber into Pilsner Glass

Let it warm up and breathe a little bit.

A: Cloudy brown, red-orange hues in the light. 1/8 inch head that quickly dissolves into rivers of tan foam.

S: Waffle, caramel, honey, apple

T: Syrup, much more bready than I expected, slight caramel, slight hazelnut, and slight overall nutty malt.

F: Bubbles, abrasive

D: Too much bread for me, but an interesting take on the American Brown Ale.

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

A - Pours a nice hazy brown color with a creamy inch head that dissipates with time. Lacing is pretty good as well.

S - Nutty, caramel, burnt sugar...can't say i'm smelling the hazelnut though.
Edit - But after first taste, the hazelnut shoots all through your nasal passages.

T - Very nutty, very caramel like, very sweet. There is a slight hop bitterness towards the back of the mouth, but it isn't very powerful. The hazelnut smell really kicks in through the nose.

M - Medium bodied, tastes stick to you very well.

D - This is overwhelmingly drinkable. If they weren't as costly as they are, i'd be downing these more often.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

Appearance - Looks brown and lazy.

Smell - Sweet, malty, and other brown ale smells.

Taste - Its nice. The hazelnut flavor is well mixed with other typical malty brown ale flavors. There is a very slight hop presence at the end. I didn't really get the overwhelming hazelnut other reviews talk about.

Mouthfeel - A bit fizzy on the tongue. Overall ok.

Drinkability - Very drinkable.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales