Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Reviews: 1,428 | Ratings: 4,100
2.42/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Not sure what everyone else is getting from this to rate it so high. I find it has a good color and a decent smell, a little sweet with a strange nutty/malty/chocolate. The taste a little strange, nutty, slight sweet and a little bitter. A very thin, watery feel. Overall drinkable but not a good beer. But who knows it could of been a old bottle, since rogue refuses to date its beer. Wouldn't get again.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

One of the best uses of "flavor" ever brewed. A staple of mine in college. Yeah, I went to school, what of it? But serious now, what a nice beer. I think I once drank four 22s. if i didn't, I wanted to. Er, should have. Harder to find down here in SoCal, but I found two places that sell it. Menaing I'm twice asa lucky as you. A surprisingly delicious brew that you and everyone you know will love. Go get it!

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%

This is a treat for me. This pours a nice dark brown with an off white head. Little retention and virtually no lacing. Sweet nutty nose. Hints of bitter chocolate and a light hops profile. A hint of hops up front, followed by bitter chocolate and bready malts, then, at last, back back back back waaay back in the aftertaste, roasted hazelnut. The roasted hazelnut flavor just clings in the mouth. Excellent. Very smooth, full bodied brew. Creamy. This was my second brew from Rogue to ever try. I just had the new Hazelnut from them the other day, I thought it was excellent, in fact I thought i liked it more. Now that I'm drinking the original, I'm glad I bought several bottles to store. I had forgotten how awesome this brew is. Excellent.

3.64/5  rDev -10.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into pub glass.
Pours a dark brown with a red tint. Translucent. A big, creamy head forms but dissipates quickly.
Huge caramel aroma with a faint underlying smell of the perles.
This tastes unbelievable. Wicked malty. An amazing balancing act between bitter malty and sweet malty. This is like drinking a big piece of some sort of autumn dessert cake, all the while never letting you forget that your drinking beer. Very little hop aroma or flavor but just the right amount of citric bittering hop.
Mouthfeel rocks, real creamy for a brown.
Here is my gripe about this beer.; It's drinkable for the first 12 oz.'s but it loses carbonation fast after that. ( and I'm not a slow drinker)
I feel like the carbonation is necessary to balance all the strong flavors in this ale (as noted at the top) and they become muddled and overpowering.
Also the brew seemed to turn a bit murky coinciding with the loss of carb. Now thats not something I mind at all but I couldn't help thinking that it looked like it tasted toward the end; garbled and sludgy.
I will absolutely buy this many more times but I'll either look for smaller bottles or share it with someone.
O.K. or I'll just slam the thing.

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

A- Nice head, that dissipates after a moment, but a very nice pour. I didn't have much lacing, but otherwise, the beer is really nice to look at.

S- Nutty, coffee kind of smell. Smells like toasted malts, and reminds me of sitting by a warm fire.

T- Sweet, but not too much so, smooth, so smooth... mellow taste that manages to incorporate a little bit of slight hops, and give it a slight kick. Really complex and beautiful taste.

F- So smooth. Perfect carbonation. This beer is so smooth I could picture having one, and wondering where it went.

O- Love it. I think it's seriously a great beer.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

From a 22oz bomber, this one poured a deep clear ruby brown with an inch of tight tan head withplenty of lace. The nose is a healthy dose of malt and balanced hops with hazelnut and roasted notes, very alluring. The taste is heavy n the malt with roasted hazelnuts, hints of maple syrup, and earthy hops. the finish is rounded out with malts and slight hop bittering. This is really quite a fine drink, smooth and rich mouthfeel with medium carbonation that goes down easy. I had it solo, but could imagine this pairing with a number of different foods from appetizers to desserts.. well done..

3.49/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours from the bomber a mahogany red-brown, mostly opaque and with a creamy light tan head. A little bit of sticky lacing. One of the better-looking brown ales I've seen. Smell is dominated by a musty smell of hazelnut and toast, with slight notes of bitter chocolates.

Again, I swear this beer is like breakfast! It tastes like toast with a rich, sweet hazelnut butter spread on it. The hazelnut & toasty flavors are freaking delicious, but they dominate this beer through and through. It becomes a bit one dimensional after a while. There is some detectable hop in the finish and a "musty" character, but that's it. A tasty brew, but falls a bit short in keeping my interest. It's very nice, thick & creamy in the mouth and hardly carbonated, which does some nice things with the flavor but carbonation could be bumped up.

Something about this beer just doesn't feel "complete" to me. I normally love hazelnut, but I think that it might be taking a bit too much away from this as a beer. Tasty--just an odd feeling that what I'm drinking needs a little extra kick of some sort.

EDIT: I'm bumping up the "smell" score. After a while of having the bomber out, slowly making my way through it, the room smells absolutely wonderful! That's a plus, for sure.

4.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark brown color with minimal head/lacing. Faint malty scent. Delicious creamy and nutty flavors with hints of vanilla. Tastes like an Irish Carbomb. Fine carbonation with smooth finish. Excellent.

4.19/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A - medium brown, slightly reddish tint. Thought it would be darker. Nice tan head, no lacing on mine once it dissipated.

S - smell is great on this one. Hazelnut dominates this one (I admit, it's my favorite creamer in my coffee, plus I've always got Frangelico on hand), but you also get maple syrup, molasses, toffee, even buttery aromas...I feel like I'm about to have a creme brulee or something, smell is totally dessert and in my opinion, the best part of this beer.

T - wonderful. Got this because I'm normally into heavier beers but wasn't feeling it today, and this was great. Not too sweet at all--smells like dessert but this isn't a dessert beer. You can definitely taste the hazelnut, but it's not too over-the-top. There's a bit of coffee in there as well, but it's not overly bitter. Deliciously malty.

M - delicious, very smooth. Carbonation is just right.

D - great. I won't have any problem putting away this bomber. Best brown I've had, I think. Not my favorite style at all (though now I want to try more), but I'd definitely drink this again when the mood strikes.

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a nonick from the 22oz. bomber. Pours beautifully creating a brown, slightly hazy orange, with a significant head. Nutty aroma. Minimal to no hops. The taste was creamy, with a nutty finish and no hops. Mouthfeel is almost ideal.

Very drinkable.

2.06/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This beer has a really big rateing ... That is not good, the reviews have to be coming from people that loved Boones Farms back in the seventies, or some of these cherry flavored Vodkas. There are great beers on here that have low rateings and novalty brews with high scores.

I enjoy bold experiments with craft brewing, ...but extracts make me want to gag. I do not believe the beer was brewed with any actual "Hazlenuts" at all!

So.... it was brewed in a way that put the hazlenut taste in the back of the throat, and it did have a bold malted honey taste, but I found myself just trying to get through it and find something else to wash that taste out of my mouth.

Rogue is one of my favorite breweries, this selection was not for me.

3.16/5  rDev -22%

22oz bomber into Pilsner Glass

Let it warm up and breathe a little bit.

A: Cloudy brown, red-orange hues in the light. 1/8 inch head that quickly dissolves into rivers of tan foam.

S: Waffle, caramel, honey, apple

T: Syrup, much more bready than I expected, slight caramel, slight hazelnut, and slight overall nutty malt.

F: Bubbles, abrasive

D: Too much bread for me, but an interesting take on the American Brown Ale.

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

A - Pours a nice hazy brown color with a creamy inch head that dissipates with time. Lacing is pretty good as well.

S - Nutty, caramel, burnt sugar...can't say i'm smelling the hazelnut though.
Edit - But after first taste, the hazelnut shoots all through your nasal passages.

T - Very nutty, very caramel like, very sweet. There is a slight hop bitterness towards the back of the mouth, but it isn't very powerful. The hazelnut smell really kicks in through the nose.

M - Medium bodied, tastes stick to you very well.

D - This is overwhelmingly drinkable. If they weren't as costly as they are, i'd be downing these more often.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

Appearance - Looks brown and lazy.

Smell - Sweet, malty, and other brown ale smells.

Taste - Its nice. The hazelnut flavor is well mixed with other typical malty brown ale flavors. There is a very slight hop presence at the end. I didn't really get the overwhelming hazelnut other reviews talk about.

Mouthfeel - A bit fizzy on the tongue. Overall ok.

Drinkability - Very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

It is a dark brown, darker then your normal brown ale, but as dark as a porter, it looks velvety and you cant see much light shining through. Smell is hazel nut, obviously, general nut smell as well as vanillia and a little bit of coffee. There is a bit to much of hazel nut flavor for my taste, if it it was a bit more subdued i would like the taste more. There are definate nut/vanillia coffee taste to it. Mouth feel is great, thick and creamy. It ranks low on drinkability due to the overbearing hazelnut flavor. A good overall beer, not something i could drink all the time, but could go very nicely as a desert beer, though the bottle has a picture of a cow and a pig, i assume suggesting to be drank with those two meets, but for me i could see it going real well with coffee ice cream with hot fudge on and nuts on top. ,aybe a beer float with some vanillia ice cream, the thick texture would lend well to that.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a light but solid head, a dark brown, caramel coloring. The head dissipates rather quickly, leaving a think layer. Has the smell of caramel, malts, and maybe something like a raisin aroma. Upon tasting it has an excellent, light, solid, but not overbearing nutty brown, malty, caramel flavor. Very satisfying. Enough subtlety to not scare one off, but enough flavor to know its good. Very solid, yet not heavy mouthfeel. More of a sipping beer because of its complexity and quality, but go ahead and put a couple back.

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a burnt orange/light brown body, small light-tan head with some retention and thin, clingy lacing

S: A caramelscotch hazelnut with faint sweetness

T: Very roasty tasting hazlenut flavor with roasted caramel secondly, roasted aftertaste with notes of roasted malts and chocolate aftertaste

M: Medium, bubbly carbonation, tingly on the tongue. Just a little too much.

D: This one is difficult for me...it's got so much carbonation and roasted, almost smoked or burnt nut taste, not a sweet taste, that lingers in the burps. Not a beer that I could drink more than one of in a sitting.

I really wanted this to taste fantastic and was disappointed, especially with the price factored in. I wouldn't buy this again.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

This is one solid beer. Even without the hazelnut, the mouthfeel, density, taste and smell are all spot on with what you expect from an American brown ale. Then the twinge of hazelnut mixes with the toasted malts giving a medley of balance and flavor. Upon hearing the term nectar one would think this would be a sweet or heavy beer. It's not.

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%

This has got to be one of the most interesting beers that I have tasted in awhile. There was a forum thread going on a little while ago that talked about the last beer that "wowed" you and this is one, so I guess I have to reset my counter.

Besides coming in the typical looking Rouge 22oz. bottle, this beer pours out in a very hazelnut shade. I can't lie, the most impressive thing about this beer is the initial hit at your tastebuds.

It's sweet, but not overly so, and has a VERY distinct hazelnut flavor. I mean come on...do you think they would have named it that if it hadn't? Just a great nutty flavor that lasts for a good 2-3 seconds on the sip and settles into the palet very smoothly.

Little harsh aftertaste but that's quickly relieved with another quick sip. :)

This is my favorite Rouge offering that I've had.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured an attractive dark-brown with a thin head that left minimal lacing. The smell was very nice, and filled with nice caramel and hazelnut notes.

Taste was very nice, sweet caramel with a nice nuttiness. The finish held some sweetened-coffee notes. Mouthfeel was quite nice, but I think the sweetness takes away from overall drinkability here. After a couple of servings, I was longing for something with some bitterness to balance out.

Very nice offering, but not the best session beer for me.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Rogue Brewing Hazelnut Brown Ale

T- ¾ inch thick foam, nice rich brown color.

S- Nice malty, sweet caramel smell.

T- First strikes me with balanced malt and the sweetness of the caramel, with just a hint of earth. Nice woody after taste. Mid palate there is nice dark fruit, fig or plum? After my first couple of sips I thought it might be too much for a bomber, but it surprisingly drinks very smoothly. This was a fun beer to run into, so earthy and malty. I keep looking for hazelnut, however even without it this is a killer beer. Very impressive!

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Definitely the little brother of the Rogue Chocolate Stout. A very drinkable beer, with a nice hint of the same great chocolate aroma that pervades the stout. This brown also has the same great hint of chocolate on the palate, smooth and tasty. A more dinkable beer than the stout, it has greater appeal to people who seek a beer that is not as bold as the stout.
Another great success by Rogue.

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

A - pours dark brown with amber tints. little to no head retention
S - chocolate malt, hazelnut...a little like candy
T - sweet, hazlenut and chocolate much like the aroma. light hop flavor.
M - light carb, medium body
D - this is alright, no my cup of tea. The hazelnut is a bit sweet to me so I can't imagine drinking much of this.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

22 oz bomber poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance – Nice opaque dark brown color. Looks warm, like it has some substance.
Smell – Nutty, fruity, interesting aroma. Some milk chocolate, caramel, bit of earthy hops. The hazelnut adds an interesting aspect to the standard malty brown ale aroma.
Taste – Chocolate maltiness, but not too roasty. Definite nuttiness, biscuit, bready with a bit of leafy hops buried underneath.
Mouthfeel – Smooth but dry and a bit light on the palate. The aroma hints to a much fuller brew, but this one is not too heavy on the palate.
Overall - Really a solid brew from Rogue. I can see why this one is so highly rated. Very interesting aroma and flavors going on with high drinkability add up to a great option in the brown ale arena.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Hazelnut Brown Nectar
Rogue Ales Brewery

Transparent brown with reddish hues make up the color. There is a fast falling white head leaving no lace, but a thin foam ring forms around the outside.

Very nutty indeed, there is a trace of dark chocolate. Overall, the scent is an excellent roasted nut aroma.

Toasted nuts and malt fill the flavor up front. The flavor is consistent, then adding a slight suggestion of alcohol. This is followed by a sweet nutty finish balanced with a miniscule hint of hops makes for a very clean finish.

Light body with small amounts of carbonation. It is not watered down. However, it is not thick or chewy. I find it appropriate for the style.

One of the most nutty nut browns I have tasted. Can't chug it, but wouldn't want to. The bomber is enough to share, but, again, wouldn't want to. This beer is deliciously nutty and I will gladly polish it off.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales