Hazelnut Brown Nectar | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

13 Ingredients:
Hops: Perle and Sterling.
Specialty: Hazelnut Nectar.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

14 Plato
73.6 AA
36 L

Added by kbub6f on 08-27-2001

Ratings: 4,185 |  Reviews: 1,447
4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

This one has been on my list to get for a while but though it is readily available I have passed on it but was able to give this one a try the other day on tap. Brew was poured to a nice medium dark brown clearish (guess that is not a word but I am going with it!) brown color with a smallish (not sure how long this has been on tap but Mahars usually has pretty good turnover) light tan head. The aromas where inviting, roasted malt and chocolate came to the forefront with some roasted nut (hazelnut I suppose from the title) aromas present. The flavors seemed to be a bit more chocolaty than hazelnut but a nice mix. The one knock that I guess I would have against this brew is it seemed a little watery but over all I did enjoy it, easy going down. Would get it again.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

At judging for WCBF

A - Dark brown pour, with medium, mocha colored head.

S - Did somebody say hazelnuts? And medium-roast coffee malts.

T - Hazelnut, hints of milk chocolate, and medium roast coffee malts.

M - Gritty (but in a good way), smooth, and balanced quite well.

D - Wish I got to drink more. Too bad though...

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a very dark brown, almost the same colour of beer bottle glass, with a bit of redness to it. The head was tan, thick and foamy. It has shrunk down to a thick ring around the outside of the glass.

The smell has toasted bread and caramel, along with some kind of sweet berry. There is something else there that I can't identify, and neither can my wife. The unknown smell is most prevelant when it is just poured and the head is large. Good smell though.

Before I can say anything about the taste, the mouthfeel is perfect. Thick and smooth, with light carbonation that just seems so right.

Now to the taste, this is a very malty beer, which certainly agrees with my palate. Toasted bread to start, with just a hint of bitterness, taken over by a sweet honey and caramel mix and finishes with a chocolaty coffee richness. Molasses makes an appearance, but is very subtle. Very, very nice.

I am impressed. I expected to like this, but it has surpassed all expectations.

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Pours browny amber with good head and great lacing.

Smell has sweet brown ale malt, lots of hazelnut flavour. Pretty nice and unsurprisingly the nutty brown ale notes integrate well with nutty notes of, well...hazelnut.

Taste carries through. Not quite as potent but similarly well poised balanced between the two types of nut flavour. A slight spearmint/menthol note on the swallow.

Mouthfeel is decent - the gaps in flavour in the previous Rogue beer I had are readily filled with hazelnut flavour in this one.

Great beer. Better executed than Frangelic Mountain Brown (which I also enjoyed).

Very well integrated hazelnut flavour, somehow it doesn't seem artificial or syrupy at all. Nice and fairly dry beer actually. No artifical sweetness.

I do find it funny how really the only enjoyable brown ales are ones with adjuncts. Perhaps brewers will catch on someday.

Anyhow, great beer and deservedly regarded as a classic.

3.35/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nice color and aroma. No head and flat. Not too old - dated 30 March and it's 11June.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

This one displays a dark brown body with ruby highlights showing through all over the place. No head to speak of. The aroma is quite sweet, with extracted vanilla and a lot of nuttiness coming through. Tasting this, the first thing to leap out is some pinprick carbonation on the tip of the tongue, along with a typical nut brown sourness at the back of the palate. Then a smooth, hazelnut, vanilla and sugar sweetness comes through. The finish is on the smokey side, and the mouthfeel is quite silky and smooth. Overall, this beer isn't my cup of tea, but it's still quite good, and would make quite a good dessert beer I'd imagine.

4.16/5  rDev +2.7%

P- wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- copper color that is halfway between clear and opaque. A gorgeous white chocolate like color head that is about a finger and half. Straight edge circle lacing around the pint glass as well.

S- hazelnut cream coffee. yum. light roasted malts as well. nutty as well

F- flavor mimicks the nose. It is always good when that happens.

M- a somewhat carbonated medium bodied brew. It goes down smooth as well.

O-a great brew from Oregon. It is simple yet tasty and goes down easily.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +2%

This is easily the best brown ale I have had to date. Also in its favor was the fact that those I shared the bottle with absolutely loved it...let the conversions begin!

I could not pick up much in the nose, probably due to the smoke in the bar. There was the obvious slight nutty aroma, with a bit of coffee as well. The beer was a dark shade of brown with a thin tan head on top. The taste is quite unique. A roasty bitterness arrives at the start, followed by hints of toffee and a mild hop bite, and ends with an overwhelming nutty finish. The nut flavor is somewhat sweet, but certainly not overpowering, and is delicious. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy...reminded me of a cask conditioned ale. This is a great ale from Rogue, and a very interesting one at that.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Head is medium-sized, coarse, bubbly, tan. It tracks scant spots of lacing. Color is deep, deep red/brown. Clear and dark. The smell is a tangy toffee, with some molasses. Nutty, chocolate hazelnut in the front, with a thick, toffee, sweetish, caramel toffee middle. Some milk. Finishes with more tangy toffee, hazelnut and dark chocolate candy. Bitter aftertaste. This is a good, toffee, dark, tangy beer with a big bitter finish. Nice enough.

3.4/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours a dark chestnut brown. Cafe au lait coloured head dissipates quickly which is disheartening.

S-rich roasted bread and caramel dominate with hints of roasted generic nuts

T-Seet caramel with roasted nut undertones. hop presence is minimal. There is maybe a hint of bitterness there. The sweet taste is pleasing though.

M-Medium bodied with a decent carbonation.

D-Overall this is tasty but not the best brown ale I have ever had. A tad more hops would be welcome

3.62/5  rDev -10.6%

Sweet light malt is creamy and fruity with mild chocolate and roasted caramel, milder coffee, and a finishing hazelnut aroma. A little hop is present. Very light overall flavor.

Ruby mahogany brown. Clear. Almost no head, it was very small and quickly fleeting.

Surprisingly light. I get some chocolate, coffee, and sweet caramel flavors. Ah yes, and hazelnut; reminiscent of hazelnut coffee. Medium-light to light malt flavor and light bitterness. Gentle malt sweetness. Finishes sweet and nutty.

Medium-light body with medium-light carbonation. Smooth and lightly creamy.

Quite light, it’s nutty and sweet. Hazelnut Brown Nectar is a flavored ale based on either a robust Northern English Brown or a light American Brown. It’s balanced and delicate.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

#82 on the beers of fame list as of last fall.

This might actually be comparable to CCB Maduro. Very translucent brown body. It smells dry and full of hazelnut. slightly sweet smell. The taste is just right for a brown. Light and sweet. Slightly dry, but only enough to even things out. Light hazelnut flavor which hides the sweet base. Finishes nutty and sweet.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The other day I picked up a 22oz bottle of Rogue's "Morimoto signature ale" series Hazelnut. As a long time fan of Rogue's Hazelnut Nut Brown Ale, I had to check it out. I didn't know if this was the same beer or simply a repackaging (BeerAdvocate indicates the latter -- this is simply an "alias" of the original Hazelnut Brown).

Cold beer is poured into UK size pint glass. Beer is very dark, nearly opaque brown, and appears rather stark in the glass, cloudless, with just a thin dark tan head on top.

Beer has a sweet, malty aroma. The label proudly proclaims 13 ingredients (this has no pretentious of being a "4 ingredient" real ale kind of ordeal). 9 of them are malts. Only one is an additive (hazelnut extract). 2 kinds of hops provide a really nice and needed balance from the sweetness of the beer. The fizziness is just right.

I'm not detecting any differences from the Hazelnut Nectar that I've come to love. This is a really great beer, and in my opinion, probably Rogue's best. The only thing detracting from its perfection is that it IS a little bit sweet. Not so much that it's annoying, but it might be a little bit much for a session beer.

I will also mention that it is a perfect accompaniment to my Sunday afternoon Italian sausage with peppers, onions, and lots of mustard.

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.69/5  rDev +15.8%

Truly a "nectar" of the Gods. I sampled this heavenly brew tonight after my local beer expert recommended it to me. I really can't say enough about this stuff...but I'll try and sum it up...

Appearance: Pours a smooth, tan, creamy liquid.. The head is thinner than expected but leaves a nice lacing on the mug.

Smell: I cracked open the bottle and the smell of rich hazelnut and cream liquour surged into my nose like I was in a Starbucks that just happened to serve Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

Taste: Rich chocolate and unearthly sweet malts sway on your tongue with every sip. The hazelnut and smooth, creamy flavor is almost too much for the senses. Toffee, nuts, and chocolate overwhelm me as I take in this brew. After the first few swigs I already wish I would have bought another bottle.

Mouthfeel: mmm, I can't say enough. Rich, creamy, and smooth..I can't pick out any fault here. I drank this out of a 22-ounce bottle and I finished it WAY too quickly. If you love sweet malts, this is your beer. As a dessert brew, I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

Drinkability: A 4, only because it's rich and thick. A couple of these bottles would probably be the most I could put down, even though I would yearn for more. An exceptional beer at every level, and I will be on the search for more Rogue styles to try in the upcoming days.

Hazelnut Brown Nectar from Rogue Ales