Sriracha Hot Stout | Rogue Ales

Style: Chile Beer

Added by JohnGalt1 on 11-25-2014

Reviews by punxsybob:
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

tastes like a cup of coffee with a dash of hot sauce. not bad but pricey for what you get.

1.66/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

I've had quite a few hot pepper beers that have been incredible and I wish the style was more main stream with readily available options. However this was off the mark. Smell was off putting and lingering aftertaste was horrible. Almost a drain pour. I did enjoy the burn. Rogue beers always seem hit or miss. Disappointed, particularly considering the high price point.

3.52/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With all thing swirling around the flavor of Sriracha, its inclusion in beer was just a matter of time. Jumping on the opportunity are the brewers of Rogue. With doughnut, banana, bacon, maple, chocolate and hazelnut all exposed, the infamous hot sauce now has its turn.

But it takes the American stout, a beer of heafty malt proportion, dark brown in its portrayal, to support the spice but without undue competition. Roasty aromas lay a foundation of coffee, cocoa and creamy nuttiness from which the spicy scent pulls. Pepper, vegetal notes and sweat inducing capsaicin garner attention as the apprehensive first sip looms.

But again, its the dry and roasty-focused taste of stout that wins out on the early palate and bulk of the middle. But getting into finish is when the malty sweetness and creamy support wanes and they dryness begins to usher in the undeniable spicy sauce. The sweet and salty pulp gives the peppers and foothold and the heat begins to build. Eventaully, the hot sauce surpasses the effects of the stout, but never in an unruly or unsavory way.

Medium-full on the palate, the early malt structure buffers the spice, but the beer trends drier and warmer, the finish highlights the sriracha taste and simmering warmth with surprisingly restraint intensity. Its a zesty, racy and characterful ale that begs a side of buffalo wings as an aftertaste of spice and chocolate come in a similar mole fashion.

I think I have sriracha flavored tooth paste, now that I think about it.

1.82/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

Oh my Lord God! Horrendous! The claim that a human being would enjoy this type of flavor infused with beer is baffling to me. Wow. Heartburn in a bottle. Sickening. And i like spice very much in my food, my wife comes from Thailand so my palate is accustomed to heat. But this, this is an abomination. It's so gross that if you're reading this, I beg you to try it!! Believe me, its an experience!

1.47/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I decided to be a little adventurous and give this one a try despite the hefty price tag and my intuition that beer and hot sauce don't mix. The smell alone made me want to toss. Not wanting to accept that I'd been swindled, I gave it a try. I can honestly say that drinking a tall glass of sriracha hot sauce straight is more appealing to me. At least with the hot sauce there are no pretenses as to what it is. This is the worst tasting beer I've ever consumed ... including the next day, warm solo cup of natural ice that someone had ashed in that imbibed back in my college years. Perhaps those with more sophisticated taste can appreciate it ... but I can't help but feel that some of the high ratings are influenced by people's inability to accept they paid $13 for a REALLY bad beer and they should have known better.

4.39/5  rDev +24%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I don't like chili pepper/spicy hot stouts, but I do love sriracha. Couldn't pick up any sriracha in the aroma, maybe the bottle was a bit old. The first sip went down nice and smooth, delivering the classic flavors of a stout; roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, a little raisiny sweetness, I was sitting there thinking "what kind of bullshit beer is this? dressing up a beer like a sriracha bottle so all the hipsters will suck it down like a fancy PBR and serve it with their vegan eggs for breakfast. This is just a stout with a cool ass bottle, there ain't even any srira..." BOOM. The sriracha hits. Rolling up to the party fashionably late with a black leather jacket and raybans on a beautifully restored 1966 Honda CA77 Dream. Super smooth, with a bit of lingering heat that keeps you coming back for more. It complements the roasted, slightly smokey, chocolatey flavors of the stout well while not being overpowering, like sriracha can easily be. I split this bomber with some buds, so I had about 5 oz for myself but definitely could have put away a few more OZs. Worth a try, even if you're not keen on spicy foods.

3.71/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +24%

Absolutely... stunning. Thank you rogue, thank you.

2.59/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750 ml bottle. Pours dark brown with a big creamy tan head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is roasted chocolate malt with some smoky stale spice.

The flavor is sweet roasted lactic chocolate malts with a big chili kick that has lots of heat but slightly plasticky flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, a decent amount of heat, but not great flavor on a base stout.

3.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.42/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from quite possibly the coolest 750ml I've seen into a snifter.

Appearance: Pitch black. 2 finger Khaki head with some staying power. Looks like a stout.

Smell: Dark roast coffee, an odd smokiness, and chilis.

Taste: There is a distinct hint of Sriracha there. But there is a weird smokiness/over-roasted coffee thing going on too. The two flavors do not mesh well. The lingering warmth from the chilis is nice, though.

Mouth-feel: Seems thin for a stout. Can't tell if it's very carbonated or it's the chilis producing the tingling on my tongue.

Overall: The heat level is spot on. It's not insanely spicy like some, but you can tell it's there, unlike others. However, the taste/smell have a weird smokiness or something else going on that does not mesh with the chilis nor my personal preferences. Not bad, but not great.

2.49/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

wasnt really my style might go good as marinate for a steak

1.84/5  rDev -48%

3.81/5  rDev +7.6%

Aroma is a stout with hint of roasted peppers. The taste is sweet stout with a mild spicy roasted jalapeno finish. Not something I would buy again, buy was glad to experience. As an old guy now on medicare, I prefer to have my peppers with my food then drink my beer. I guess someone had to try to make a beer with both flavors. It was successful, but I would prefer a great stout to drink with my spicy food, not a spicy beer to drink with my bland food.

1.73/5  rDev -51.1%

Terrible. This is a gimmic and i kinda figured as much going into it. Any respectable beer company would have made a batch of this and thrown it away. Sriracha is not intended to be added to beer.The aftertaste was atrocious and lingered for far too long. This is the worst "beer" I've ever tasted. Maybe you can add a dot to a Tecate on a hot day, but poured into a stout? GTFO...

3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

It's like no other beer I've tasted, I'll give it that. Predominant taste is indeed Sriracha, which overwhelms all the other more subtle notes that I know are there. I appropriately won this from drinking Rainier beer, faster than anyone else, from a sippy cup at a baby shower. I'm glad to have had this experience, but have to say, I wouldn't buy this again.

3.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's got a little kick to it, but to my VERY spice-tolerant palette it tasted more like just a typical stout.

3.46/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

750ml typical painted Rogue bottle, made up to look just like those plastic Sriracha bottles everywhere, even down to the green cap. Me, I prefer the chili-garlic sauce from Huy Fong.

This beer pours a pretty solid black, with faint basal red cola edges, and four fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and bubbly tan head, which leaves a decent array of island group lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of gritty, grainy caramel malt, bittersweet chocolate, green chilies, a sort of separate and isolated nose-twitching burn, day-old burnt coffee, sour milk, and further bready, crackery, and almost salty notes. The taste is more bready, grainy caramel malt, vanilla-laced coffee, dry cocoa chips, innocuous green peppers, black pepper, and then whammo - that red chili heat from the Sriracha - though sans the sugar, much to my delight. Any bittering hops (unsurprisingly unspecified on the label) are lost in the hipster restaurant mire.

The carbonation is fairly understated, and thus basically overshone by the guest star, as it were, the body an adequate medium weight for a stout, and not particularly smooth, though it does seem to be trying ever so, to little avail. It finishes off-dry, sort of, the grainy malt kind of keeping its head down, as the red pepper heat ramps things up.

Well, I can't cite faults in advertising with this one, so Rogue is already ahead of the game there with me. My expectations for hot sauce-enabled foodstuffs are rather stringent, i.e. lots of it, but don't be stupid about it, either, and I believe that they've more or less got it right here. Maybe the base stout (Shakespeare?) could be a tad sweeter in its balancing effort, but whatever, it works.

Sriracha Hot Stout from Rogue Ales