XS McRogue Scotch Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

9 Ingredients:
Amber, Pale Chocolate & Rogue Micro Barley Farm DareTM Malts; Kent Golding, Willamette and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops; Rolled Oats, Free Range Coastal Water and Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast.

17.5º PLATO
75 AA
28.6º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2001

4.94/5  rDev +29.7%

Dark brown color with little to no head and no lace. Carbonation virtually non-existent. Malty aroma - primarily chocolate (more like cocoa powder). Malty chocolatey flavor. Medium-Full bodied, rich and creamy. Ages very well ! Would love to taste fresh.

Label states: "Rogue-XS", 17.5 Plato, 45.5 IBU, 28.64 L, 77 AA

Bottled in 1998
Tasted: 04/08/03

(7oz / $3.49)

4.85/5  rDev +27.3%

Just got this recently and it has a bottled on date of 1998. Hope it cellared nicely.

Pours with no head and a deep burgandy color. This beer has a lovely caramel sweet, smokey and woody aroma. This beer tastes fabulous. (And I only have 7 ounces to enjoy.) On the first couple tastes, I get chocolate, great wood character, beautiful hazelnut flavor, brown sugar, vanilla bean and some java. Astounding. One of the best beers I've had in awhile. And now I've only got about 2 ounces left to enjoy. Gotta go.

4.84/5  rDev +27%

Bottled in 1998. 7 oz bottle.

Pours a dark brown with absolutely no head. Heavenly aroma consists of sweet toffee, caramel and chocolate. Oh, man, this is going to be good! Mouthfeel is thinner than I expected (somewhat watery), but still very smooth. Exquisite taste consists of sweet malt, caramel, toasted nut, oats and a touch of oak. The rolled oats used during the brewing process adds such a great smoothness of both texture and flavor to this Scotch ale. I wish I would have purchased more than one bottle. If I can find this again, I will definitely stock up.

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I grabbed the last bottle of this hastily when I saw it on the shelf.. Bottled in 2010 says: best when aged for 1 year, but I was so eager to try this that I couldn't wait. (review from notes)

This beer pours a murky golden brown color with a slight amount of off white head, I am surprised how flat this is, there is almost no head at all.

The most prevalent thing to me is the chocolate, its a sweet chocolaty smell, not bitter and unsweetened like most stout beers. There is a nice background of yeast that comes along at the end, it is just extremely rich.

It tastes almost exactly like it smells, it is extremely smooth, and some hints of caramel are also noticeable which are not noticeable on the nose. It is on the medium bodied side, almost no carbonation at all.

I just wish I was able to have more of this.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Enjoyed this 7 oz beer out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with amber highlights with a thin white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Heavy malt aroma with a sweet caramel backbone.

T: Similar to the smell, heavy malt and sweet caramel flavors cross the palate.

M: Heavy body and medium carbonation.

O: Fantastic Scott ale - great balance and enough alcohol to make it interesting.

4.49/5  rDev +17.8%

Pour is this overly hazy cloudy beast of an ale. Decent white head. The smell is laden with caramel and toffee, everything I want to see from a scotch ale. Very sweet smelling and malt forward for sure.

The taste is actually really good. Very malt forward, with a strong caramel presence. Toffee is right behind in second but its close. Its so smooth and drinkable. I even think my girl might like how sweet and tasty this is, thats how sweet it is.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

I picked up this 1998 bottle about a month ago. The bottle suggests aging for 6 months, let's see what 8 times that amount has done for it. Head is completely gone due to the aging. Nice color though, deep dark brown. Extremely intense caramel aroma, with some nutty sweet coffee aroma underneath. Tasting this I find that the full flavors I expect from a great scotch ale are mostly still there, and even more complex than in others. It seems that the body has suffered a bit though, I would imagine that this was once much more full-bodied. Many rich, sweet flavors, including caramel, chocolate, and roasted/coffee-like character, as well as a wood-like character in the background. Faintly smoky. Even without a head, it still has a nice, creamy mouthfeel. It would really be great if they started brewing this again for us all to enjoy. I'd probably give it an even higher rating with proper aging, and I know I'd be drinking it by the gallon!

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

On tap at Gibbie's, Morgantown, WV.
Poured a wonderful dark brown with copper flashes of light throughout with excellent head and a bit of nice lacing. Very deep malty scent with a bit of smokiness in the nose. Wonderful flavor, with deep malt tones, a great smokiness, hints of peat, and a touch of caramel. Goes down quite smoothly, but it does have an odd, almost generic, flavor on the tongue at the very end.

XS McRogue Scotch Ale from Rogue Ales