Voodoo Doughnut Grape Guerrilla

SCORE
Okay
Voodoo Doughnut Grape GuerrillaVoodoo Doughnut Grape Guerrilla
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

3 by Velivolus1 from Vermont on Aug 03, 2020
3.26/5  rDev +12%
by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

I am still running through my Rogue backlog & frankly, looking at some of the price tags on these, I am surprised that I pulled the trigger in the first place. These enameled bombers mean that I am unable to see what it happening inside, which never makes me happy. OTOH, many of them have mellowed nicely during their wait for me to get to them. Let's see how this one fares!

From the Bottle: "Ale Brewed with Natural Flavors"; "Dedicated to Tres & Cat Daddy, the Rogues of Voodoo Donut"; "[Pairs with:] Donuts, Cheesecake"; "16° Plato*16 IBU*78 AA*10° L"; "Oregon Brewed[,] Established 1988[,] Oxygen Fixing Caps".

I began by Pop!ping off the oxygen fixing cap & starting an extremely slow, gentle C-Line pour since I could not see what I was doing & I did not want to muck this up. It foamed up on its own to form just over a finger of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a hazy Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22). Nose was odd, less grape than an undefined tangy, tart. Hmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste had an unnatural grape flavor, more like something that had been whipped up in the chem lab. 8=p I think that I read one reviewer who mentioned Flintstones Chewable Vitamins & I have to agree. It had a tangy grape-yness that led me to realize that I must remember to be careful what I wish for. During the previous Voodoo Donut Ale, I lamented that it was too sweet for my liking. This needed more sweetness or something, but it was not to my liking. The grape flavor was slowly growing on me, but it was a reminder that I do not really like grapes all that much. Grape jelly is the worst, causing me to think of childhood. I am an adult! It was definitely a novelty beer & as far as the style is concerned, since the grape flavor was there, I should not dun it too badly in that regard. Did it taste like fruit? Yes. Did it taste good? Not really. Therein lies the rate to style & not to personal taste conundrum. Finish was surprisingly dry, slightly vinous. Hmm. Now, I am curious as to what the inspirational donut tastes like …

Oct 09, 2019

2.65 by Navin-Johnson from Texas on Sep 11, 2018
1.03/5  rDev -64.6%
by UCSBCA07 from California

.it was like some one poured "Goofy Grape" into some old Oly Litel...

Jun 23, 2018

3.62 by John_Beeryman from Virginia on Jun 05, 2017

2.69 by hermit990 from Illinois on Jun 02, 2017
1.68/5  rDev -42.3%
by Sabtos from Ohio

Slightly hazy dark amber with a medium, bubbly khaki head and a couple spots of wet lace.

"Fuck..." was my first thought at the initial whiff. "I'm just glad I didn't spend money on this" was my second. This smells like grape soda, with a little musty wheat, turning to cough syrup as soon as the alcohol is detected.

Taste is light wheat bread totally trounced by grape soda and Dimetapp.

Thin, but frothy, and simply too dry for the kind of weird ass "drink" that this is.

If this was a Christmas present to you, like mine was to me, re-gift it to the non-craft beer lovers in your life, they'll probably enjoy the novelty of it.

Apr 26, 2017

2.3 by Strohm from New York on Apr 12, 2017
3.86/5  rDev +32.6%
by vette2006c5r from Minnesota

Grape Guerrilla pours a hazy darker copper color with a small non lacing head. Big aroma with lots of grape. Flavor is strong, lots of artificial grape; tastes like dimeatap. Good body and feel. Overall, big fake grape flavor, but, I kinda like it.

Mar 29, 2017
3.37/5  rDev +15.8%
by iheartmyTHO from Georgia

I'm sucker for these weird Voodoo Doughnut beers. I've had several, and none are ever THAT great. Grape Guerrilla is no exception. It smells like artificial grape candy. And the taste, is just not so good. It's a bit tart, like sour grape candy but mixed with OK beer.

Mar 24, 2017

3.35 by ImperatorScab from Tennessee on Mar 19, 2017

3.5 by DerwinWentworth from Utah on Mar 12, 2017
2.37/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25
by q33jeff from New Jersey

03/12/17

22oz Bottle to snifter.

Believe it or not, it's not horrible.

LOOK: Deep Amber colored, medium creamy white head that fades to a film, but then stays.
AROMA: Dimetapp. Grape Drink. Grape Big League Chew.
TASTE: barley, wheat, grape drink, lemon. Medicinal finish (more dimetapp).
FEEL: decent carbonation; medium body.

Not horrible, but bad and reeks of artificial grape flavors.

Awesome Bottle, so had to continue with Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut series.

Mar 12, 2017

4.05 by BixbyW from Kansas on Feb 25, 2017
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
by beerguy04 from Illinois

Pours an amber color with a white head. Smells like grape koolaid or a cheap wine. Tastes like malty grape through out the taste. Mouthfeel is light and easy to drink. Overall, it's different, but ok. Can't say I'd recommend it.

Feb 21, 2017
1.62/5  rDev -44.3%
by teromous from Virginia

Near the bottom rim there is a code printed: "GD62 20160720 12:54"

Appearance: The body of the beer is a darker shade of brown and it is a bit hazy. The head is short with a creamy texture and an eggshell white color.

Aroma: It smells a bit like grape soda and aspirin chews. It does seem to live up to the grape in the title but it doesn't smell like actual grapes from the vine, grape juice, or wine. It smells like artificial sweetener or something chemical.

Taste: At first I was getting a bit of hop flavor but it is immediately replaced with this awful flavor that reminds me of aspirin chews. There is a bit of grape flavor in there but it leaves this horrible chemical flavor in the aftertaste. After sitting away from the beer for a few minutes I do start to pick up some grape flavor on the palate that tastes like real grapes but somehow when drinking the beer it just doesn't come through.

Mouthfeel: It is a very hard beer to drink and the mouthfeel of the beer doesn't really do it any flavors. It feels thin and lifeless. On the positive side the carbonation seems good.

Overall: It was not an enjoyable beer to drink. I would highly recommend against drinking this beer and I wouldn't drink it again.

Feb 20, 2017

1.53 by corywalston from North Dakota on Jan 24, 2017
1.22/5  rDev -58.1%
by jcubz from Canada (SK)

Grape big league chew

Jan 23, 2017

3.5 by rolltide8425 from Pennsylvania on Jan 21, 2017
1.6/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75
by SamuelMiller from Montana

The look is an average Amber color. The smell is literally grape kooliad with a hint of grape koolaid. The taste is also pretty much grape koolaid but if somebody used beer instead of water to mix with the powder. The feel is chalky with a tangy aftertaste. Overall this beer is somewhat of an abomination. I suppose that I appreciate the effort to step out and try something new but I wish I could forget about this beer. I wouldn't reccomend buying it ever.

Jan 18, 2017

3.24 by nater919 from New York on Jan 10, 2017

3 by Avatar113 from California on Jan 08, 2017
1.36/5  rDev -53.3%
by Bradyj23 from Colorado

Grape Robitussen. Absolutely terrible.

Jan 06, 2017

2.82 by goblue3509 from Pennsylvania on Jan 05, 2017

3.21 by Drew_V_dt from California on Dec 30, 2016

1.71 by drone from Oregon on Dec 28, 2016
1.32/5  rDev -54.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25
by SadMachine from New Jersey

This may be the most wretched thing I've ever drank! The brewers should be ashamed of themselves for actually selling this to people! I don't mind people experimenting with crazy flavors, but when it comes out this bad you need to suck it up and dump it!

Dec 25, 2016
3.99/5  rDev +37.1%
by Bear1964 from Nebraska

Poured into a glass showed a cloudy Amber brew with a minimal head and had minimal lace, aroma was sweet grape kool-aid straight up but some malt came out later in the tasting. The aroma was sweet grape kool-aid at first but got a little more real later on in the tasting. Mouthfeel was light and refreshing but got a tad sticky in the aftertaste near the end of the tasting....overall I think they continue to keep the faith with this venture with Voodoo Doughnut and some wild flavors....take the leap and be nice for the effort.

Dec 25, 2016

3.35 by jaydoc from Kansas on Dec 09, 2016

2.96 by liquorpig from Massachusetts on Dec 09, 2016
3.53/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5
by TheSixthRing from California

Appearance - Pours mostly hazy and amber in color with a finger width, sandstone colored head. Fair retention before dying down to a mostly barren surface and a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass. No lacing.

Smell - Definitely has a predominant aroma of old-school, artificial sweet grape character - think Bonkers or Bubble Yum grape. It's hard to dig past that grape, but sitting well beneath are notes of grain and and a hint of leafy hoppiness.

Taste - Follows the nose. Predominant flavor is candied artificial grape, but thankfully it's not cloying. Faint undertone of grain and a lightly earthy, slightly leafy hop flavor. Finishes much the same, though the grape dies down a bit and lets the malts and hops come through a bit more.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied with low carbonation. Goes down easy, but quite watery on the finish. The weakest aspect of the brew.

Overall - I skipped last year's Mango Astronaut because frankly I was mango'ed out by some of the NE-Style IPA's I'd had and it didn't sound appealing. Maybe I can still find it? I'm sure it's underwhelming and well overpriced for what I'm getting, but I'm a glutton for consistency. In any event, this one was fairly decent, but nothing to write home about. If you like that 'grape candy' flavor, then this one may be worth trying if the price tag doesn't bother you. I still think the Bacon Maple is by far the best of the series. I hope they revisit it in the near future.

Dec 05, 2016