Voodoo Doughnut Grape Guerrilla

From:
Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Voodoo Doughnut Grape GuerrillaVoodoo Doughnut Grape Guerrilla
Notes:
Reviews: 15 | Ratings: 48
3.26/5  rDev +10.5%

I am still running through my Rogue backlog & frankly, looking at some of the price tags on these, I am surprised that I pulled the trigger in the first place. These enameled bombers mean that I am unable to see what it happening inside, which never makes me happy. OTOH, many of them have mellowed nicely during their wait for me to get to them. Let's see how this one fares!

From the Bottle: "Ale Brewed with Natural Flavors"; "Dedicated to Tres & Cat Daddy, the Rogues of Voodoo Donut"; "[Pairs with:] Donuts, Cheesecake"; "16° Plato*16 IBU*78 AA*10° L"; "Oregon Brewed[,] Established 1988[,] Oxygen Fixing Caps".

I began by Pop!ping off the oxygen fixing cap & starting an extremely slow, gentle C-Line pour since I could not see what I was doing & I did not want to muck this up. It foamed up on its own to form just over a finger of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a hazy Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22). Nose was odd, less grape than an undefined tangy, tart. Hmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste had an unnatural grape flavor, more like something that had been whipped up in the chem lab. 8=p I think that I read one reviewer who mentioned Flintstones Chewable Vitamins & I have to agree. It had a tangy grape-yness that led me to realize that I must remember to be careful what I wish for. During the previous Voodoo Donut Ale, I lamented that it was too sweet for my liking. This needed more sweetness or something, but it was not to my liking. The grape flavor was slowly growing on me, but it was a reminder that I do not really like grapes all that much. Grape jelly is the worst, causing me to think of childhood. I am an adult! It was definitely a novelty beer & as far as the style is concerned, since the grape flavor was there, I should not dun it too badly in that regard. Did it taste like fruit? Yes. Did it taste good? Not really. Therein lies the rate to style & not to personal taste conundrum. Finish was surprisingly dry, slightly vinous. Hmm. Now, I am curious as to what the inspirational donut tastes like …

1.68/5  rDev -43.1%

Slightly hazy dark amber with a medium, bubbly khaki head and a couple spots of wet lace.

"Fuck..." was my first thought at the initial whiff. "I'm just glad I didn't spend money on this" was my second. This smells like grape soda, with a little musty wheat, turning to cough syrup as soon as the alcohol is detected.

Taste is light wheat bread totally trounced by grape soda and Dimetapp.

Thin, but frothy, and simply too dry for the kind of weird ass "drink" that this is.

If this was a Christmas present to you, like mine was to me, re-gift it to the non-craft beer lovers in your life, they'll probably enjoy the novelty of it.

3.86/5  rDev +30.8%

Grape Guerrilla pours a hazy darker copper color with a small non lacing head. Big aroma with lots of grape. Flavor is strong, lots of artificial grape; tastes like dimeatap. Good body and feel. Overall, big fake grape flavor, but, I kinda like it.

3.37/5  rDev +14.2%

I'm sucker for these weird Voodoo Doughnut beers. I've had several, and none are ever THAT great. Grape Guerrilla is no exception. It smells like artificial grape candy. And the taste, is just not so good. It's a bit tart, like sour grape candy but mixed with OK beer.

2.37/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

03/12/17

22oz Bottle to snifter.

Believe it or not, it's not horrible.

LOOK: Deep Amber colored, medium creamy white head that fades to a film, but then stays.
AROMA: Dimetapp. Grape Drink. Grape Big League Chew.
TASTE: barley, wheat, grape drink, lemon. Medicinal finish (more dimetapp).
FEEL: decent carbonation; medium body.

Not horrible, but bad and reeks of artificial grape flavors.

Awesome Bottle, so had to continue with Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut series.

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours an amber color with a white head. Smells like grape koolaid or a cheap wine. Tastes like malty grape through out the taste. Mouthfeel is light and easy to drink. Overall, it's different, but ok. Can't say I'd recommend it.

1.62/5  rDev -45.1%

Near the bottom rim there is a code printed: "GD62 20160720 12:54"

Appearance: The body of the beer is a darker shade of brown and it is a bit hazy. The head is short with a creamy texture and an eggshell white color.

Aroma: It smells a bit like grape soda and aspirin chews. It does seem to live up to the grape in the title but it doesn't smell like actual grapes from the vine, grape juice, or wine. It smells like artificial sweetener or something chemical.

Taste: At first I was getting a bit of hop flavor but it is immediately replaced with this awful flavor that reminds me of aspirin chews. There is a bit of grape flavor in there but it leaves this horrible chemical flavor in the aftertaste. After sitting away from the beer for a few minutes I do start to pick up some grape flavor on the palate that tastes like real grapes but somehow when drinking the beer it just doesn't come through.

Mouthfeel: It is a very hard beer to drink and the mouthfeel of the beer doesn't really do it any flavors. It feels thin and lifeless. On the positive side the carbonation seems good.

Overall: It was not an enjoyable beer to drink. I would highly recommend against drinking this beer and I wouldn't drink it again.

1.6/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

The look is an average Amber color. The smell is literally grape kooliad with a hint of grape koolaid. The taste is also pretty much grape koolaid but if somebody used beer instead of water to mix with the powder. The feel is chalky with a tangy aftertaste. Overall this beer is somewhat of an abomination. I suppose that I appreciate the effort to step out and try something new but I wish I could forget about this beer. I wouldn't reccomend buying it ever.

1.32/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

This may be the most wretched thing I've ever drank! The brewers should be ashamed of themselves for actually selling this to people! I don't mind people experimenting with crazy flavors, but when it comes out this bad you need to suck it up and dump it!

3.99/5  rDev +35.3%

Poured into a glass showed a cloudy Amber brew with a minimal head and had minimal lace, aroma was sweet grape kool-aid straight up but some malt came out later in the tasting. The aroma was sweet grape kool-aid at first but got a little more real later on in the tasting. Mouthfeel was light and refreshing but got a tad sticky in the aftertaste near the end of the tasting....overall I think they continue to keep the faith with this venture with Voodoo Doughnut and some wild flavors....take the leap and be nice for the effort.

3.53/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours mostly hazy and amber in color with a finger width, sandstone colored head. Fair retention before dying down to a mostly barren surface and a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass. No lacing.

Smell - Definitely has a predominant aroma of old-school, artificial sweet grape character - think Bonkers or Bubble Yum grape. It's hard to dig past that grape, but sitting well beneath are notes of grain and and a hint of leafy hoppiness.

Taste - Follows the nose. Predominant flavor is candied artificial grape, but thankfully it's not cloying. Faint undertone of grain and a lightly earthy, slightly leafy hop flavor. Finishes much the same, though the grape dies down a bit and lets the malts and hops come through a bit more.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied with low carbonation. Goes down easy, but quite watery on the finish. The weakest aspect of the brew.

Overall - I skipped last year's Mango Astronaut because frankly I was mango'ed out by some of the NE-Style IPA's I'd had and it didn't sound appealing. Maybe I can still find it? I'm sure it's underwhelming and well overpriced for what I'm getting, but I'm a glutton for consistency. In any event, this one was fairly decent, but nothing to write home about. If you like that 'grape candy' flavor, then this one may be worth trying if the price tag doesn't bother you. I still think the Bacon Maple is by far the best of the series. I hope they revisit it in the near future.

1.09/5  rDev -63.1%

Quite simply this is the worst thing I've ever tasted. It was so bad that I had to make an account just to try to warn people of what they're getting into when they're in the store pondering buying this. DON'T DO IT. The label is sweet though.

3.48/5  rDev +18%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours slightly hazy deep orange/light copper color with a 2 finger fairly dense and fluffy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big tart red/black grapes, berries, taffy, kool aid mix, vanilla frosting, toasted biscuit, bread dough, floral, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance of grape fruit extract, vanilla, and bready malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big tart red/black grapes, berries, taffy, kool aid mix, vanilla frosting, toasted biscuit, bread dough, floral, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Light-moderate herbal/spicy bitterness and tangy/tannic fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of tart red/black grapes, berries, taffy, kool aid mix, vanilla frosting, toasted biscuit, bread dough, and herbal/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Nice robustness and balance of grape fruit extract, vanilla, and bready malt flavors; with a good malt/bitter/tartness balance; and some lingering tannic fruit astringency, but not too overwhelming. Light-moderate dryness from tart/tannic/bitter notes, increasing through the glass. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, moderately grainy/tannic/sticky, and lightly acidic mouthfeel that is okay. Minimal warming alcohol for 7.2%. Overall this is a very solid experimental fruit beer. All around good robustness and balance of grape fruit extract, vanilla, and bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink, despite the lingering tannic fruit astringency. This tastes really artificial, but it wasn’t overly sweet or syrupy feeling like I was expecting. I think they accomplished what they set out to make, and it was still quite enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle - hmmmmm, grape-flavoured doughnuts don't sound too bad, but in a beer? Based on Voodoo Doughnuts' Grape Ape, I presume.

This beer pours a clear, medium bronzed amber colour, with three fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and bubbly beige head, which leaves some decent tightly packed island group lace around the glass as things slowly abate. How is this thing not bright purple? Oh, right, Rogue is not Minhas.

It smells of 'grape' candy (or soda) - like those stringy licorice things I only seem to find when I'm on vacation somewhere - chewed out bubblegum, some ephemeral grainy maltiness, and a bit of floral (hop?) acridity. The taste is musty grape (more white than red, but neither, really) flavouring - the kind my mom used to make popsicles out of for us - spiked and sugary grape soda, a minor minerality, some timid (or just overwhelmed) pale malt graininess, and more understated dead leafy and perfumed floral (lavender, really) hoppiness.

The carbonation is adequate in its buoying and tingling frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and mostly smooth, just a bit of alcohol intransigence lurking about here, looking to rumble in the jungle. It finishes off-dry, and still very grape candy-forward in its overarching fruitiness.

Overall, this is one hipster candy shop (or doughnut shop, I suppose) friendly offering - and as a long-time fan of this particular fake-ass confection flavouring, I can't be too hard on them for it. Yeah, not much typical beer essence gets any sort of chance in the sun, but, hey, far worse horrors have been foisted on we of the beer drinking public, in the name of adjunct-itis. I'm going to just go and enjoy the rest of this, and keep it well away from my already Hallowe'en treat stupefied toddler.

2.82/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A-Dark red cloudy ruby. In light, still murky but a bit brighter, a dark orange. Basic white 2 finger head that dies at a below-average-to-average rate. (Not bad, not standard). No lace really. Big 750ml bottles are hard to retain sticky lace, but still, it'd have no lace if a 12 oz. bottle I bet.

S-Grape must, bubblegum, soap, lilacs, lavender, black cherry, grape: kool-aid, taffy, bottlecaps. Fruity, good artificial sweetness. Gets one excited for taste. Comparable to Dogfish 61 Minute.

T-Akin to smell/nose. Add: cough syrup & grape popsicles. Prime example of a beer smelling good, tasting awful. Too much bitter & syrupy sickness notes.

M-Medium body. Holds up nicely w/a syrupy swirl. Above average carbo that lives on even w/being a big bottle. Sip starts sweet & tart. Mid is dusty-musty. End is a bitter cough medicine palate-feel. After taste is a bright, sour grape skin. No grain or hop readily noticeable. You have to dig deep down for it. Doesn't taste or palate-feel like beer.

O-Who would brew this? I expected a tad of sugary vanilla ala doughnut icing, doughy malts w/the yes, kool-aidy grape. But the beer=carbonated grape kool-aid w/a splash of cough syrup. It does go down a bit sickly, but not a drainpour. Or maybe a drainpour, but can't stand to waste 11 bucks when the brew wasn't disgusting, yet not good at all besides smell, body thickness & carbonation. Only buy if you're made of money or want to try bad beer & share it w/others to make sour faces in harmony.

Voodoo Doughnut Grape Guerrilla from Rogue Ales