FestiveAle | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Shaw on 09-26-2005

3.73/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from big Rogue bottle. Completely carbonated, almost explosive when I opened the cap. The head wasn't too thick, but you could taste all the carbonation, almost peppery.

Spicy kind of taste, maybe some kind of funky saison. But it doesn't taste like any other saison I've had. Almost acid taste on the back-side, dry and bitterish.

I guess this is ok, Rogue is generally good in my opinion.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a hazy copper color, with a pillowy slightly off white head, that is slow to fade to a nice cap that sticks around. The lace is only moderate.

Smell; has a bit of a sour yeasty smell with some orange citrus thrown in, and a litlle peppery spiciness.

Taste; it's a bit sour and tart, a litlle citrusy, and a litlle sipcy, and there's a litlle bit of the funkiness that I associate with a Saison, but there's not one flavor that seems to jump out at me like it should. Mouthfeel is slightly thin and a touch oily. Overall it's a little disapointing. I just don't find any of the flavors to stand out that much, and I just don't think I depicts the style all that well. Even without taking style into consideration, this is not that good a beer,

3.12/5  rDev -6%

Picked this beer up at a local specialty store.
Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

At first pour, there was a large amount of head which was a nice creme color. This subsided rather quickly and I was left with a thin little head and no lace. The color of the brew was a murky orange/straw hue. The nose of this beer reminded me slightly of bread and a little spice. No scent of a hops at all. Upon my first sip I was a little disappointed. This Saison was quite lighter than others I have had. I was expected more of the Belgian yeasty taste to it. The spice that I had detected in the nose was not that apparent in the tast of the beer. The mouthfeel was a little on the heavy side and carbonation in the mouth was there. The drinkability was decent, however, I do not see myself trying this beer again.

Overall, this beer was a decent buy. I am glad that I got to experience the Rogue's take on a Saison, however, I don't know if I would try another American take on a traditional Belgian Saison.

3.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Yellow-amber, small head with little lacing.

Bread and fruit aroma, hints of citrus and spice.

Bitter spice taste, some citrus and earthy malts, bread. Interesting if not a "wow" beer. Kind of a quiet beer.

Medium bodied and a bit bubbly.

Odd brew. Didn't knock my socks off. Expected a bigger beer with a balance of spice and malt and a tasty Belgian yeast.

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

I have never sampled this style of beer so I thought I would give it a try.

When I popped the bottle, I immediately noticed a larger than average release of gas. Very carbonated pour. I was warned of this and made sure not to accidentally pour the huge amount of sediment at the bottom of the bottle either.

Very deep orange hue with a pretty rocky head. Definitely more like a soda head. It disappeared rather quickly as well.

Smells fruity and sour. I couldn't quite catch a hop presence at all.

Tastes fruity and slightly sour as well. There is a definite malt presence to round out the flavors of apricot and yeast. Finishes slightly dry (there they are).

Decent mouthfeel. Heavier than I expected. Manages to stay on the tongue for quite some time.

This one was not very drinkable for me. Maybe I am not used to it, maybe this is not a good representation of the style. Not sure. I will have to try a true Belgian Saison to be sure.

2.91/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours an opaque straw yellow color.

Smells very sour/tart with some spicyness cutting through.

Has a immediate sourness followed by a hint of sweet belgian yeast. Earthy/grassy and hop bitterness and finishes tart with a strong bite of carbonation. Alcohol is present in the finish as well.

I'm not really getting a 'festive' vibe with this one. It's not bad but I wouldn't put it in my regular winter rotation.

2.81/5  rDev -15.4%

I had great hopes for this beer. I It looked really good coming out of the bottle- dark and golden like opaque apple juice.; and that is where it ended.

The smell was not very good. A lot like sour milk. The taste had a warming Belgian start- and the middle has a spiced ginger-christmas taste. Then it gets bitter. tart. not Saison Dupont tart, but hop bitter grapefruit IPA tart. Too much. The hop and citrus bitterness just blows away the spiced goodness of the middle.

Sorry Rogue, but I am a beer snob- and I still would rather have a Miller high-life than this.

2.73/5  rDev -17.8%

On tap at Redbones in a 12 oz flute.

Deep golden amber hue, cloudy with a thin white lacing on top. Smells a bit tart with some spice, tastes is similar with an odd tartness upfront. Moderate body, mildly crisp. Just can get over the tartness ... stale lemon comes to mind. Spicing is lost within this tartness as well.

Not sure what to think of this brew but I know it falls short of the Saison style.

3.32/5  rDev 0%

The beer arrived on the table a murky medium amber with a white and low, yet long lasting, head which laced the glass.

The aroma was floral and malty with a strong caramel aspect. The aroma was also fruity and spicy with a slight waft of alcohol.

The flavor was caramel with spicy toffee and a flavor that was difficult to place until the beer warmed and then it came through as an earthiness, but not in a great way. The beer contained a bit of diacetyl and a citrusy orange flavor coupled with a bit of biscuit.

The finish was dry with lasting caramel and citrus lasting long and fruity into the aftertaste with a bit too much of that odd earthiness. The body was medium. This beer was a bit of a mess.

Pint at Tyler's in Durham, NC.

2.97/5  rDev -10.5%

On a quiet and boring evening I left my house to piss away money on fine cheeses and beer. A small chunk of Spanish Goat cheese and this beer are what I came back with.

The bottle had time to warm up to around 50 degrees in my backpack. A loud pop and a fizz greated me after I popped the cap, and the beer poured a very cloudy dull orange. The head was impressive at first, but sounded just like soda fizz as I poured. A half dozen sips later and the head is nonexistent.

This is tart, I first thought, followed immediately afterward by 'this is too sweet! I don't think I'm contradicting myself. This beer is way too sweet for my taste. A third of the way throught he bomber, and I don't detect as much sweetness as on my first few sips. I still find the flavor to be a bit dull and lackluster. The mouthfeel is slightly harsh and fizzy, which is appropriate for this style. Unfortunately I can't detect much of the spice flavoring, save for a tiny sliver of bitter orange. Aroma is similiarly weak.

All in all, not a bad attempt, but not to my tastes. I can only sip it very slowly now, not to savor, but because I'm out of cheese.

4.12/5  rDev +24.1%

A saison style with herbs and spices it says on the bottle. Just had to try it.

A nice coppery pinesap color filled my pint glass and was topped by a solid finger of white head. The smell was delicious and of dehydrated apricots and maybe slight bread crust. Upon tasting, my mouth was filled with a jubiliant spring fruit harvest of apricot and peaches, very tasty and not overpowering but just tasty. It was like walking in a orchard of fruit trees. I dont know if saissons taste like this but i'm going to be pouring some on thanksgiving. Good carbonation and body. Good brew.

2.33/5  rDev -29.8%

On tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Charleston, SC. Served in the traditional pint glass. I was hopeful as I know that the establishment sells lots of Rogue, and I believe they were granted this keg as the biggest outlet for Rogue in the state.

Poured medium dark to dark brown. No noticable head. Somewhat carbonated, but basically flat. First sip was surprising -- very heavy in the mouth, with an off-taste that was reminiscent of dishwater or perhaps just something stale.

As I continued, the impresstions were: somewhat flat, thick, murky, with some growing complexity. However, the off flavors continued as my taste buds searched for some of the fruit and yeast that I expect in a saison.

Overall, the beer was quite heavy and syrupy, with very unsubtle malt and sweetness that overpowered the hint of hop that I had to search for.

Not what I expect from a saison (too heavy and none of the fruitiness I'd hoped for). Perhaps a bad keg, and the server said that first keg they had was really different.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at Eli's.

A barely noticeable off white sheet that recedes almost instantly, leaving a few trails of lace down the pint. A murky, bright copper/camel in color.

Light citrusy fruit aromatics: pear, sour apple, orange, and even pineapple. Some hints of pepper and clove.

Up front is a rather tart sour apple, lemon, and pear that lingers throughout the sip. A mix of spices that have a hard time in balancing the tartness. A sharp alcohol presence is noticed at mid-sip that lingers well into the aftertaste.

Light bodied; slick on the palate from the alcohol fumes and sour combination.

A decent effort at the style. The alcohol could've been hidden a lot better, and the sourness is a bit one-sided.

2.84/5  rDev -14.5%

Described on the bottle as a Saison for the festival season, modeled after farmhouse ales from the Flanders region of Belgium.

It poured a cloudy, amber-orange color with a thin, loose head that disappated quickly. Unusual for a saison, so maybe my glass had some sort of residue from the dishwasher. I'm sure the beer wasn't too cold, it came from the garage which is kept at about 50 degrees. Maybe it was poured incorrectly?

On the nose there is a hint of nutmeg and orange peel, but I really had to search these out. Other than that, nothing jumped out at me.

My first sip revelaed very little in the way of taste. Maybe a hint of the orange peel. It claims ginger root as an ingredient but I found nothing of this in the beer. There is a bit of the classic farmhouse sourness though. The finish is very quick, no lingering flavors.

It's light-medium body, a bit dry, fizzy like soda-pop. A great beer for belching as I found out.

I can't say it was bad, but I don't think I'd have it again.

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%

Cloudy, dirty golden amber pour with a fluffy white head that doesn't last quite as long as I'd like. Delicate streams of lace decorate my goblet.

Aroma is nice, but not atypical of a saison. Light and fruity, pepper, coriander, with a surprising malty sweetness. Hoppier than expected a la Rogue.

Flavor is fruity sweet upfront with cherries, pinapple, and puckery white grape. It has an annoying malty sweetness that definately should not be. There's a slight notion of pepper and spice, with some drying crushed rock minerality. It's plenty hoppy for the style, spicey and German tasting. Too malty, too sweet, too hoppy to be a winner.

Body is medium, a bit dense for this style. Mouthfeel is crisp and full. One is enough for me, not a session brew.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Interesting beer. Not mazing, but, it has definately piqued my interest during consumption. Got this in a grolwer form drafting room- spring house.

Pours a hazy, murky golden/amberish. some white head that fades, little to no lacing. very fruit nose. not malty or hoppy, just friggin fruity.

Surprise surprise, the tase is reall freaking fruity. Not in a bad way, not in a good way, just fruity. I would say grapefruit mixed with cherries, with the grapefruit dominating. The finish is dry, and very crip with a slight hop aftertaste.

Meh, it is a good beer, but I dunno, I can see why rouge doesn't have this in the mass production line up..cheers

3.68/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Undated bomber that is silkscreened with the trademark "Rogue Dude". No dates, poured into a tulip.

The loud ass PSSSTT sound when the cap was popped told me to pour this one easy. Hazy amber with a tall white head that has solid retention. The bubbles in the head are beady and give an almost symmetrical honeycombed appearance. Good lace. Beautiful beer!

Nice combination of spices, tart citrus and funky yeast in the nose. Definite Saaz aromas. The ginger and orange are distinct and work very well together.

The taste fails to impress me. Sweet malts upfront then the orange comes through followed by pilsener hops. Dry finish. This beer is just a bit more than one dimensional when tasted. No yeast flavors, the spices seem lost, and the carbonation seems to cut through everything to the point of numbing the palate.

In light of its few merits and many shortcomings, I'm not interested in buying another.

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%

It poured a murky ruby-brown, the cloudiness hardly speckled by carbonation. A finger of large-bubbled tan head popped away quickly. A few feathers of lacing remained behind as the glass drained.

The aroma carried a mildly spicy nose of pepper and coriander, along with a tart fruitiness seemingly centered on cherries, but with a hint of grape as well. A hoppy aura flirted at the outside along with an ephemeral measure of funk.

Upon sipping, an initial wave of fruit sweetness bore a current of cherries, along with a vinous presence that boosted the inherent tartness. An eddy of grapefruit, orange, and some more vague earthy elements clippered about the middle. The finish was rather quick, with a light hoppy dryness dropping away promptly. An unusual take on the style.

A bit sht of medium bodied, it has a relatively crisp feel considering the business going on elsewhere.

Well, as I'm no expert, I'll take their word it's a saison. Still, it's not at all what I expected. In fact, it seems to me to fill a category all its own, but I'm not sure what that would be. It's got a bit going on, and it's not always especially well-meshed, but neither did it put me off at any point. It was good enough to enjoy the one I had, and I'd not refuse another, but I won't go seeking it out for another go round, if only because if I'm hankering for a Saison, there are some more rewarding routes I can choose to travel.

Had this on-tap at the Grey Lodge in Philly.

Cloudy and brownish. Murky, but in a very good way. A yeasty-type look.

Cherries and pineapple in the taste. Not dry like your Duponts. Not like the Hennepins of the world. But fruity is a nice change of pace.

4.2/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours a nice, slightly hazy honey-orange with a big (2") creamy, off-white head that drops slowly & evenly. No lace left behind.
Smell is grape juice, orange, spice and malt, overall quite a sweet smell.
Taste is grape juice (purple, not white or red), spice, alcohol, malt, hops and a hint of yeast. Almost like a grape juice infused beer. Good but unexpected.
A rich, medium-full body with light effervescence makes this an easily quaffable brew. Good stuff, John.

4.17/5  rDev +25.6%

Allways a treat to try a new saison or a new Rogue selection. This one was on tap at the BTAH in NYC. Poured dark almond and cloudy, with a tiny bubble, yet minimal head, and leaving just minor scattered lacing. Nose is pepper and corainder. Fruity, complex and tasty concoction. Notes of smoke, pepper, honey and caramel. Simply yummy, yeasty and good. Rogue movers and shakers please bottle this asap...

3.1/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. It came in a snifter.

This stuff looks exactly like apple cider; a murky rotten peach with light brown tints. When it arrived, it had only splotches of off-white bubbles on top, which disappeared to absolutely no head or anything on top of the beer.

Aroma is slightly farmy, fruity, phenolicy. with a strong alcohol smell. Also aromas of caramel, grapes, and apples. Smell doesn't do much for me.

Flavor is sweet at first, a little farmy, gets a little sour later, with notes of old grapes, old apples, and sweet caramel. The flavor dries out in mid-sip, with the aftertaste being winey and really dry. Alcohol is not as noticeable in the taste as it is in the smell, but it is still there.

Mouthfeel is pretty sweet at first, with medium carbonation. It very quickly dries out, eventually becoming almost bone dry. The finish is warm from alcohol.

This was OK as a different style saison, but it's not one I would have again. Maybe I'm spoiled by Southampton's saisons, I don't know. This would very quickly get tiresome.

3.64/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Never in a million years would I guess that this is a Rogue beer. Pours a murky, turbid brown with a whispy white head and very large bubbles. Not particularly appetizing, though in all fairness, I think I got the first pint from the keg. Nose is faintly sweet, with notes of light fruit (white grapes?). Palate is nice and complex, with a backbone of sweet malt complemented by tangy, bubblegum Belgian yeast and notes of plum, brown sugar, and a touch of hoppy bitterness. Body is nice and sturdy, a good fit for the style. Worth a try, but not as fantastic as some of the other beers in the JLS line.

4.2/5  rDev +26.5%

On a recent trip to Knoxville's Brewer's Jam, this is the jewel of the weekend. Being a big fan of Saisons, I couldn't wait to jump into this one. Pours a hazy orange-appricot color with a stubborn white head. Serious fruity and tart aromas filled the rim of the glass. Smells like over-ripe oranges, mangos, appricots, pears, and peaches with the tartness of a granny smith apple. One sip drives the sides of the toung nuts. Seriously flavored with the fruits in the nose, with mild nutmeg spices, light hops and more light sourness. The flavors constantly change in the mouth. The body is medium (strange for such flavor complexity). Alcohols are pronounce throughout and may take on low plastic or medicinal flavors, but not to deter. Aftertaste is fruity and tart. I highly recomend.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Hazy brew, could be kicked up yeast; there seems to be a pretty heavy sediment in the bottle. Pours with a big, foamy off-white head that falls to a lasting 1/4 inch. Tart, zippy nose with a hint of ginger and grains of paradise. Spicy in the mouth with lost of orange peel and grains of paradise. Sweet gale makes this almost come across as hot. Reminds me of a hoppy (relatively of course!) version of Heavyweight’s gruit.

This is an interesting brew. I’m glad they tried it, and I’m happy to see it as a winter beer even if it ends up being a one shot deal. IMHO this is missing the soul of a true Belgian saison saison. However, it goes to show that saisons need not be stuck as summer seasonals! I can see myself drinking this in the winter.

FestiveAle from Rogue Ales