XS Old Crustacean | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: American Barleywine

Formerly "Old Crustacean"

8 Ingredients:
Hugh Baird Carastan and Rogue Micro Barley Farm DareTM & RiskTM Malts; Chinook and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Freedom Hops, Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

25º PLATO
83 AA
57º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-03-2001

Ratings: 1,277 |  Reviews: 708
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Deep, dark copper brown with a bit of red as it poured from the bottle. Dark tan (not light tan) head.

Pretty brown-orange in the glass.

Genius bottle with a magical genie inside. Bottle is made of solid stone as far as I can tell.

Leathery, earthy, deep malty, honey, sugary syrup aroma. Scared to taste it! Smells somewhere between a Scotch Ale and a barleywine. Darkest barleywine I ever seent.

Fluffy mouthfeel almost as though it had been on cask. Alcohol is hidden away unlike many barleywines--hidden by the leathery, slightly spicy taste with a beautiful mild bitter finish. Flavor not as sweet as the smell; beautiful bread!! l love a bready beer!

This beer is like a hammer on the head. Bomb! Numb face.

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A vintage brew. 2000 "Old Crustacean" and "Rogue-XS". Poured into a 10 oz glass. 26 Plato, 120 IBU. 38 Lovibond.

Appearance- Thick and brown with ruby highlights. Very little foam, no lacing. Slightly cloudy. A lot of stuff has settled out of it judging from the sludge on the bottom of the bottle. I may have accidentally stirred it up a bit.

Smell- Sweet. Lots of complex, malt sweetness. Practically no hops. I'm guessing the hops are the sludge at the bottom of the bottle. This is pretty much what I expect out of an 8 year old Barley Wine.

Taste- WOW. Despite the fact that I could smell no hops, I can certainly taste them. Wow. A fair amount of malt sweetness, and a big malt flavor. Shit. Despite the lack of carbonation, this stuff kept well. Once you get past the HUGE malty-hoppy-malt sweetness, you do get very subtle hints of coffee, chocolate, Vienna malts, dark fruits, and a hint of caramel. I wish more people knew how to keep these things in good condition. This one cost 10 bucks. Not bad, if you're sure you're getting a beer that has been kept in a cool, dark room. I've gotten some that tasted like they were left in a car for a few years. This is definitely one of the better ones.

Drinkability- I love it, but it is so hoppy, it gives me heartburn. A lot of my non-hop-heads would hate it. But if you like Barley wines, and 8 year old Rogue Old Crusty is hard to beat.

***Older vintage***

A vintage brew. 1995 "Old Crustacean" (Yeah...I'm doing a little mini vertical tasting).

Appearance- Thick and brown/amber with strong ruby highlights. No foam, no lacing. Quite clear considering the amount of sediment in the bottom. I must have done a good job of pouring this one. A lot of stuff has settled out of it judging from the sludge on the bottom of the bottle.

Smell- Sweet. Lots of complex, malt sweetness. Practically no hops. I'm guessing the hops are the sludge at the bottom of the bottle. This is pretty much what I expect out of an 13 year old Barley Wine. It actually smelled kind of dusty to. I was worried it was a bit oxidized. It wasn't.

Taste- Not nearly as hoppy as the 2000 vintage. Still, despite the fact that I could smell no hops, I can certainly taste them. A fair amount of malt sweetness; quite complex, and a big malt flavor. Shit. Despite the lack of carbonation, this stuff kept exceptionally well. Better than the 2000 vintage I tried earlier. Once you get past the HUGE malty-malt sweetness and decent hop level, you do get very subtle hints of coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, and a hint of caramel. I wish more people knew how to keep these things in good condition. This one cost 10 bucks.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth and velvety. Creamy, hoppy, big bodied. Just a hint of carbonation. Did I mention smooth and velvety?

Drinkability- I love it, but it is so hoppy, it gives me heartburn. A lot of my non-hop-heads would hate it. But if you like Barley wines, and 13 year old Rogue Old Crusty is hard to beat.

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a dark reddish brown, very thick, with a sweet and yeasty scent. It had a heavy texture with a good blend of yeast and hops to create a balanced aftertaste. There wasn't much malt in the flavor, however, and the bitterness quickly built with every sip. After a while it developed more of a sour flavor and wasn't very easy to drink.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

750 ML black, ceramic, swing-top bottle purchased from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa...
Ruby-red, deep, orange-copper colored hue with an enormous foamy head that was the result of an aggressive pour...
Dark fruits, caramel, candied sugars dominate the aroma with a flash of barley and malts...
Taste strongly complements the smell, with a heavy suggestion of caramel, vanilla, malts, grains, and sweet, flavorful, candied sugars...
For a barleywine, this was pretty sweet without being too cloying or overbearing...
Another thing I really liked about this beer was the fact that the hefty 11.3% ABV was difficult to detect and not as dominant as I was expecting it to be...
Good stuff from Rogue...
A nice stab at the style, and a sweet, flavorful barleywine...
Recommended...

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

2006 Vintage
750ml Ceramic Bottle/Swing Top

Poured into a chalice a nice deep brown color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy tannish head, which left a nice puddle of sticky lacing in the center of the glass. The nose is malty, hoppy, nice tone of spices, dark fruits, and caramel. The taste is very nice and smooth for a brew this high in ABV, malty, nice hoppyness, slight spice, getting some dark fruits, and caramel. Medium body. Very drinkable, one of the easist drinking BW I've had to date, highly recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%

Enjoyed on tap at Gravity Head '08 in New Albany, IN. Poured into a 10oz glass. This Old Crustacean is a keg from the '04 vintage.

Appearance- Thick and brown with a thick ring of foam around the edges. Lacing is present but not too thick. Wheat LOOKS to be in the grain bill judging by the cloudiness of the beer overall.

Smell- Sweet and luscious with much in the malt bill. Hops are there but not overpowering. Well, maybe just a little overpowering. Munich malt is most definitely present. Rich and hoppy. What a great combination.

Taste- Coffee creamer, big malts, and much hop. This is one powerful bastard. Big fig, chocolate, Vienna malts, prune, raisin, and caramel. I love vintage aged rogue old crusty and could drink it in the future and love it now.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, hoppy, big bodied, and well carbonated. I love this beer despite their tendency to over hop the beer.

Drinkability- Nice. I would love to try it again next year and see what more age has done to it.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

"Bottled in 1998" This beer is 10 years old. I was 15 when this was brewed. Wow, I have never had a beer that was 10 years old. Actually I have never had a beer that was older than 1 or 2 years. A big thanks to Beertracker for this amazing surprise.

Poured a dark murky cola color with no carbonation and no head. Smells of sweet fruit and malts with a hint of alcohol and some yeasty bread. The taste has a bite to it almost spicy. There is no hop bitterness and this is now all sweet malts. There are fruit flavors, currants and raisins and maybe some prune. Also some chocolate notes which makes the flavor richer. The alcohol is present but its not overpowering. The mouthfeel is thick like a thin mole sauce, spicy yet sweet. The drinkability is a little low but I would drink another if given the chance. Now I'm going to have to get a current version to compare the two.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

On-tap at Zeno's in State College.
A: Medium-dark, ruddy-amber with a small, light tan, creamy head that quickly diminished to a ring.
S: Pungent hops balanced by smooth, buttery malts. A little dark fruit and alcohol in there.
T: Stinging alcohol and hops bitterness right off the bat. The smooth malts then join the mix, adding a warm, depth and roundness. Resin and pine hang around for a long time on the strong alcohol finish.
M: Medium-full body, lightly astringent, lightly syrupy texture, moderate carbonation
D: A lot of character but a bit too cloying I though, even for the style. Seems like there's something little holding this one back from being great. Still worth a try though.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

2005 vintage ceramic flip top 750ml [Edit... Ooops! Forgot to mention that I got this in trade from spacecoyote. Thanks, dude!]. So, yeah. The bottle counts for part of the appearance. Actually, the bottle may account for a lot. As it has a narrow and somewhat long throat, the beer glug-glugs out for a while. This helps give it a little higher head and, at the same time, helps release the aroma.

Oh, and, hey. I take back all of the mean things I said about Rogue - about how they don't know how to brew. This is beer. I wish... I wish I had one that was more recent so that I could compare. Hmm. Well, maybe I'd say mean things about Rogue again if I did... Maybe this is so good at this point 'cause the Cascades and cie have mellowed. All I get is big mouth and big bitterness.

Mind you... I think that this is just past prime - just a little on the sweet side for the bitterness. But I can totally see how it would be at a little less old. What I can't picture is how it is when young... Whatever. It's like... Well, it's interesting how similar this one at this age is to a Double Bastard. So obviously I like it. Still, it's a bit sweeter and a bit on the cloying side... But then, hey, it's aged a few years. I can totally see how it would have a less sweet side to it when younger.

Still... Rogue being Rogue... I can't really imagine that I'd like it young!

3.81/5  rDev -5%

a - brownish with a decent size head that hangs around, comes in a ceramic jug with resealable top, amazing presentation and the bottle is reusable.

s - hoppy and bready

t - pretty good but brutal, this tastes likea liquified hearty bread. the hops at the end are loud as hell which i usually don't enjoy but this time around i was digging how it punches the end of the tongue.

M - the mouthfeel and the way this beer plays across the taste buds is amazing! every drink it had 3 distinct things going on in my mouth, a tingle on the tip of the tongue, the rolled down the center and blew up with bitterness at the end. awesome.

d - not very drinkable due to price, strength in alcohol and flavor, but worth picking up a bottle or two, i'd love to have one aged for a long time but i doubt i could leave it hanging out for long enough

4.69/5  rDev +17%

I bought suberb brew this at the Headkeepers Tapas Bar in my hometown in a 750 m.l. ceramic flip top bottle, dated 2006. I am an avid fan of American Barleywines and this one is definately a keeper. It poured well into a 21 1/8 fl. oz. crystal snifter (and my friends call me a snob). It had a strong, sweet aroma reminiscant of Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine. There was very little lasting head and no lacing. The taste was sweet and fruity, with a nice warming sensation in the mouth. I will definately be looking forward to the next release date for Old Crustation this upcomming year.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz, bottled 2004.

The last 3+ years have treated this beer well.
The color is a dark amber, and the head is pretty sparse and uneven but what I got did leave some decent lace.
The hops are muted here, but only in comparison to the fresh incarnation of this beer. Tasty, and smells great too. It's relatively complex with grapefruit, some sweet dark fruit, and plenty of carmelized sugar/toffee sweetness.
Alcohol is unobtrusive and seems to serve to keep me from drinking this stuff too fast. Full bodied with a sizeable but refreshing bitter finish. A little sticky - haven't noticed the subtleties of this brew before as I usually drink it fresh, when it is one of the most bitter beers I have had (with no complaints from me!)

Zero trouble finishing this bottle, and I've got some more, but I've got no real desire to have another right now. Relatively expensive, but not nearly as pricey as the current ceramic 750 ml bottles.
I'll save these for a special day - maybe one that ends in "y"

4.09/5  rDev +2%

2006 vintage now appears to come in a beautiful, dark grey stoneware bottle with a cap and a flip-top ready to reseal it if you're not down for a whole bomb of barleywine. Best in class presentation - this would cellar itself in most conditions and the homebrewers will certainly not mind the free bottle!

Cap pops with much fanfare and gas, the pour into my favourite, smallish tulip generates just a quarter inch of head. Body is a dark, red garnet and head is, well, a light garnet skin that turns coffee coloured when swirled. Perfectly even cloudyness, no flecks. Gentelest swirl conjurs back the millimeter of head and even leaves leopard spots of lace on the glass.

Smell is like an old, strong belgian brown brewed by monks, not 'mericans! Lots of sweet, raisiney malts, very dry, ashey yeast funk, and warm nutmet riding on the lightest breeze of alcohol. Hazelnuts, under-ripe pears, toffee, and something almost floral like rose or honeysuckle right at the end.

Taste is worlds hoppier than expected! Tons of tart, tight alphas that are confusingly fresh; vermouth bitters, slightly more floral finish. Sweet and coffee-dominated at first, under the hopping; drys out by the time your 'buds have recovered for a bready finish with some chocolate-covered espresso beans as an afterthought.

Feels sweet but cooling on the tongue and sticks to your cheeks and palate more than a little. Good levels of carbonation do wonders to tidy things up, but the intense bitters really linger on past all else. Booze never really comes up, the hops providing the diversion.

An all around surprise that breaks all the rules about how the genere should smell or taste. True Pacific Northwest in hop style and almost patronizing to the old world traditions of high gravity. Good right now, and I'm going to bank on a whole case to throw in my basement on the suspicion that this will only get better.

4.37/5  rDev +9%

2006 Vintage.

A- very dark brown with a finger or two of head after a hard pour, that doesn't last but laces beautifully.

S- Smooth molasses-like malt, dark roasted barley, some dark fruit, a bit of grapefruit, alcohol. A lot.

T- Honestly... call me crazy. But I say if you mixed a belgian strong dark ale perfectly with a hop-bomb DIPA, this would be it. The initial malt profile is just what you would expect in a Trappist, complete with the yeast character to back it up. Dark fruit, molasses, etc. Then comes a roasted character with lots of depth... almost a smokiness, a bit of acridness. After that comes the hop-bomb: the hop flavor comes deftly, and then the bitterness overwhelms all else.

M- Smooth, thick, chewy, silky, then acrid, dry, warm.

D- You'd be hard pressed to enjoy the whole bomber... without pissing yourself. However, you must try this beer, and I think in about 4 years, after some harshness is gone from the hop profile, it may well be around a 4.9.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

A: From the tap a snifter of murky deep brown with a bit of orange and a small head of off-white foam that quickly settled to a scant cover.

S: Mild citrus pith, myriad of spices, slight piney and alcohol at the end.

T: Slightly thick with a burst of spices, bitter hops and roasted malts that smooth everything down. Left with a real spicy, alcohol aftertaste.

M: One of the spiciest Barley Wines I have ever had and it is a real mouth treat. This was sipped before ordering dinner, with dinner and finished at desert, as I really enjoyed the aftertaste almost as much as the actual drinking.

D: Recommend, but only if one takes the time to savor this one as it is wasted if not sipped and savored.
Will be drinking again!

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

***Randalized with Newport Hops on tap at Summit's Wayside Tavern, Cumming GA***

A- Deep dark brown like an old penny. It is semi transparent. Head is minimal, but I did not see the pour.

S- Hops, caramel, and burnt malts. It is also firey and spicy.

T- The Newport hops definitely overwhelm. Chocolate and caramel backbone is stong and there is a strong alcohol taste with bitterness. For what it is (Randalized version) not bad.

M- It is thick and very oily. Carbonation is miminal.

D- Low. This brew was STRONG especially after running it through the Newport hops again. I liked it though, but one glass was enough.

Overall- Different offering and hoppy as hell. My first Randalized offering and I am ready for more. Definitely puts a new spin on things...

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Bottled in 2002

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy dark brown color. Head was very minimal. Retention was very short and virtually no lacing remained.

Smell: Very sweet, sugary malt smell initially. Nice combo of citrus fruit aromas (grapefruit and mango), as well as dark fruit scents (raisin and plum). Very strong pine hops.

Taste: Dark fruit flavors are very assertive but mix well citrus sweetness. Very nice malty base with brown sugar flavors give it a very sweet taste. Hops kick in and give it a great bitter kick. As bitter as it is, it is well balanced. Perhaps that's the benefit of time.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's definitely on the thick side. Carbonation has held up well. It's very smooth and drinkable. Probably its strength limits its drinkability, but it's certainly a pleasure. Alcohol is noticeable, but it's blended well and certainly not overly noticeable. Overall, this is a pleasure to drink. Perhaps I should start cellaring beer. I definitely appreciate having a friend that does.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

a: This is one of the darkest barleywines I've seen, a very cloudy dark copper in color. Pours with a big light tan head that fades quickly leaving a sticky ring in it's wake.

s: The malts smell of brown sugar and some cherries. There is a huge piney hop aroma as well. When the hops begin to fade a bit the alcohol begins to assert itself.

t: Wow, this one is abrasive and aggressive. Short lived sweet cherry flavor upfront before a throat annihilating piney hop finish. Damn tasty but almost painful.

m: Leaves a throat drying piney hop tingle in it's wake. Some more carbonation would have been welcome.

d: This certainly a sipper and I'm glad I had some help from alhrabosky with this one. I'll look for the 7oz bottles next time rather than the 750ml.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

2006 vintage crock into Atlas Mason jar.

A: Very nice dark dark amber. 2 finger head with nice lacing on the onset that totally disappears when it warms in the glass.

S: Hops, caramel, alcohol.

T: Floral beeswax hoppy clover taste intermingled with rum and sweet malts and caramel.

M: Medium to light bodied. Could use a bit more but good nonetheless.

D: Nice beer to sip on. One crock of this stuff is all any beer drinker would need. Even professionals like me. Barley wine beers are my second favorite beer. This on is one of the best I've tasted. High on alcohol, but really good.

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

Serving type: 750 Cask into a snifter

Pours a very rich amber with a huge rocky tan head that dies slowly. Surprisingly little lacing.

Smells of potent caramel, salty, a little hoppy and estery. Undertones of chocolate and mild citrus, like honeydew and tangerine. Alcohol makes no attempt to hide itself from the nose.

Holy cow I think I'm in love. It's like a bullet of caramel and wild hops that blasts through to the stomach leaving a wake of bittersweet esters. Initially it's very sweet, but quickly enough the hops (a variety I'm not too fond of, but goes well in this brew) take over and balance out the sweetness. A bit syrupy, as is the style, and fairly full on body. The subordinate flavors surface slowly as it rolls around on the tongue. The carbonation is mild and just about perfect to keep it lighter and a little spicy.

It doesn't quite fit the typical barleywine mold, but it's not far off. It's definitely one that can be enjoyed by someone who typically doesn't like strong barleywines because it's deceptively mild while still adhering mostly to the rules and being full of flavor.

Overall this brew is a beauty from head to toe. I'll be sad when the cask is done, thought that might take a while.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

11/23/07- Purchased at Weimax Liquors in Burlingame, CA.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, vintage 2002. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep amber colored pour with a 3/4 inch or larger head. Settles at a mild rim which leaves above average lace patchwork and streaks.

Smell- Hasn't lost it hops, that's for sure. With a strong grapefruit-pine tree aroma. It also has gained significant caramel scented malt.

Taste- The smell to a "t". About even dispersion between hops and malt. Grapefruit explosion of hops to go with a sweet very dark candied caramel flavor. At points during the aftertaste it almost tastes like hazelnut..

Mouthfeel- I bit highly carbonated, but it worked well with this beer. Even to that point, it was still fairly smooth and left a bitter and lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability- Score one for Rogue...at least 5 year old Rogue. Glad I still have a few of these left to consume over time. Excellent!

Version 2002...yet again! 05/12/08

Still has maintained it's hops...how the hell can this be as hoppy as it is? It's more hoppy than any fresh barleywine I've had! Carbonation has decreased and is much smoother. Just can't believe how hoppy this is.

3.61/5  rDev -10%

12 ounce long-stemmed goblet at Pizza Port Solana Beach for five dollars

Reviewed on November 14, 2007

Color was a dark reddish brown with a light tan head that was silky and about and a half inch tall, left large amounts of lacing

Smell was crazy, lots of different things going on, could identify lots of sugar, oranges, grapefruits, toffee, chocolate, toffee, and different hoppy aromas

Taste was strong and is definitely an acquired taste, not recommended for people that do not thoroughly enjoy barleywines, very sweet at first with a surprisingly strong bitter aftertaste, this one had a lot of hops and burned sugar, malts overpowered everything else, but the dryness of this was uncommon, as it warmed it got even sweeter which made it almost unbearable to drink with my pizza

Very little carbonation and an almost full body, not a bad mouthfeel

Could not drink another sip of this, granted I had about forty ounces of beer before this during a two hour span, heavy stuff that is really high in alcohol

Again, for the price it was great because I never wanted to spend the fifteen dollars on it before, suprised to see on tap here, not bad for a barleywine and I would recommend to any fans of Rogue that are curious

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

2005 vintage from an XS crock bottle.
A- Pours a deep murky black color, with a two finger khaki colored head. Decent retention, but thick heavy lacing.

S- Alcohol, sweet malts, toffee, burnt sugar, citrus hops, caramel, and raw sugar.

T- Huge malt flavors, heavy roasted characteristics. Toffee and burnt caramel are prevalent, and heavily astringent from the roasted malts. Searingly bitter finish, from slightly metallic hops.

M- sticky, heavy, and incredibly thick.

D- low at best.

Overall, an interesting barleywine, but not nearly ready to drink. I thought two years may have been enough for this one to be drinkable, but now I think it could have used another eight. It's still a train wreck of flavors, and needs to round out quite a bit more. Not bad, just not ready. A little pricey (due to the gimmicky bottle), but worth it if you have the patience. I'd buy it again, but not until I have a proper cellar to hold something as long as this needs to be held.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours with a fluffy off white head that lingers above the brew. Leaves some decent lacing. Has a hazy brown color with hints of ruby.

Smells of grapefruit, hops, caramel, lots of fruitiness and a good amount of malt.

The taste is extremely bitter. Lots of grapefruit and citric hops that stings at the back of the throat, nice malty taste and a warming alcohol. I cant wait to age a bottle for a couple of years but I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

another impressive black ceramic swing-top to add to my collection from the XSperience series, no vintage date but the bier depot knows what they're doing so i'd expect this to be an '05. i poured this in a red wine glass and brought a mini wheel of babybel cheese to keep on standby...120 IBU might need some guidance.

A- deep dark rich hazy burgundy with plum tones and garnet highlights. 2in soapy tan head settles to 1/8in half-moon ring with lots of sticky icky lace encrusted onto the side of the glass. so resinous it might never wash off.

S- citrus grapefruit hops and dark chocolate forever, burnt plum, currant, fig, date, grainy caramel bittersweet malts dark charred wood, spicy black pepper and of course alcohol. a very grapey spirity alcohol like creme de cacao mixed with a fine brandy, for anyone who has ever had a brandy alexander, minus the ice cream and add a crazy amount of hops. roughly 2lbs hops per 1oz liquor :)

T- my palate may not be evolved enough to handle this but here goes...dark raw cocoa and an insane amount of hops that are wayyy past citrus, almost chemical, concentrated. chewing on the most resinous hop bud around could not be as bitter as this ale. the hops and malt fight briefly for dominance, the hops being the obvious victor. head spinningly resinous and herbal, woody, earthy mushroom, compost, like a mouthful of delicious soil, heavy dark clay from the ohio creekbeds with a hint of currant fruitiness, toasted malt, and alcohol with a cocoa hops aftertaste.

MF- perfect. mid-low carbonation, dry yet juicy. the only thing keepin me from chiggin is the mind blowing 120 IBU, and i'm thankful cuz i could easily see myself laying on the floor twitching if i were to do so.

D- so strong, so intense, so raw and gritty, yet so sophisticated and refined. a brew this exceptional should be saved for special occasions. i'm giving a 3.5 because it should not be consumed easily or massively...it should be an XSperience...

XS Old Crustacean from Rogue Ales