Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States

Style: American Malt Liquor

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
10º Lovibond

Added by aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 335
2.31/5  rDev -31.3%

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a soapy white head that recedes quickly.

S: This smells like a cheap white/sparkling wine. Very dry and cidery with lots of grape juice, peaches, apple juice, and definitely some significant alcohol contributions.

T: The flavor is pretty much the same as the nose, but sweeter. Apple cider with some white grape juice flavor. There's still that same cheap wine thing going on and a fair amount of alcohol.

M: The body is medium with the carbonation being a bit high at first before dying down.

D: For a "craft" malt liquor, this is pretty bad. I'd rather have any number of mass produced industrial malt liquors.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours transparent yellow with white head. Malt liquor scent but nicer: toilet water with hops, (let's pretend I'm at Penn State.) Malt liquor taste but wetter, tarter, hoppier, and with residual sugar out the a$$. A sugary hangover-to-come beer equipped with malt extract and everything not craft. Don't waste your money just buy Olde English.

2.25/5  rDev -33%

Poured as a orange-yellow clear liquid with white head that disappeared almost immediately (within seconds). Smell was of sweet buttered corn and not much else. Taste was of sweet buttered corn with a touch of alcohol. No hoppiness. No bitterness and might be a tad too sweet but really corny. Mouthfeel was a bit below average, finished sweet and had a semi-lingering corn aftertaste.

Drinkability is low. I won't be buying this beer again. I'd probably rather drink Budweiser than drink this one again but if there's nothing else, I'd drink this in a pinch.

2.18/5  rDev -35.1%

I have to admit that I wouldnt't have given this beer a second look had it not been a) brewed by Rogue and b) had a great name.

I've had this beer twice and enjoyed it quite a bit more the first time. My taste in beer has changed quite a bit though even in the past six months, and while before I was into craft beer, now I'm REALLY into craft beer and my palate is much more picky.

Appearance is a hazy, opaque yellow with a greenish tint. Fizzy head which dissipates immediately.

Smell is probably this beer's weakest point, and most likely hard to avoid this being the case if staying true to style. Not being well versed in the deliciousness of adjuncts... I can't say if the corn used is at fault or otherwise.

The taste is not horrid, and is certainly better than most macros, but still not something I'd choose again. It may be that the second bottle I got is getting a bit long in the tooth but I found that it was fairly hard to finish. Something I'm not used to with Rogue beers. Again, probably still true to style though. Definite sweet fruit and a good amount of bready, sweet malt dominate the palate.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Leads to a long aftertaste, which is actually pretty pleasant.

Overall, a novelty beer. I commend Rogue on making a fine malt likka, but it's not really my thing. Would make a memorable father's day gift, obviously.

2.05/5  rDev -39%

22 oz bomber. Aroma is sweet, but it has a spritzy fruit-like sweetness rather than the expected corn syrup or malt sweetness. Body is a murky brown yellow and holds a lazy dime thin white head that quickly fades. Fore is bitter and very much the way I remember malt liquor tasting...stale and sickly sweet, with some mild corn notes. I appreciate the effort, but this just flat does not taste good at all.

2.05/5  rDev -39%

This was purchased more for the novelty than anything else. I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got. The beer poured a light gold color with almost no head and very little carbonation. Aroma was similar to most macros, some light malt smell with a good bit of corn/vegetable mixed in. Taste was very light as well with the typical corn adjunct flavor, some malt and a barely perceptable hop taste. Mouthfeel was very light and thin. This beer had very little flavor and was quite watery and spritzy tasting to me. This is not worth the 4.79 I paid. Oh well, maybe Liquor De Malt will be a better experience.

1.91/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance: Pours a bright, clear yellow body with a creamy white head.

Smell: Aroma of cooked corn with a single pat of butter. There's some faint, nearly indiscernible hops in the scent, but you gotta sniff past alot of corn to find them.

Taste: Sweet and grainy, with a heaping ladle of cafeteria corn niblets and a dash of 99 Bananas. Light hop bitterness on the altogether weak finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Softly carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer's a gag in every sense of the word! ... This IS a gag beer, right?

1.68/5  rDev -50%

I don't have any idea how this beer received a B-. It was indistinguishable from what I remember any other malt liquor beer ever tasted like.

I think there were some sympathy ratings here. Rouge should discontinue this as it is the black sheep of their family of beers.

1.14/5  rDev -66.1%

Truly horrendous, probably the worst I've ever had from Rogue. I have to imagine this is something that they do only because they can get away with it, due to making so much other fantastic beer. They should have sold this one only in the Rogue Public Houses for fun, or as the gimmick it is in bombers for $1 apiece, but it's an embarrassment at $4. Disgusting.

Visual: urine yellow, with little head and no lacing.

Aroma: corn nastiness, cooked vegetables, and little else.

Taste: more cooked vegetables, thin, acrid, and acidic. Disgusting.

Mouth: thin, moderately highly carbonated.

Seriously: this stuff is repulsive, and I'm pissed off that we paid $4 for it. We drainpoured about 75% of the bottle.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales