Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

Added by aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 335
4.2/5  rDev +25%

I've searched far and wide for this, but I only found a few in 4 months of searching and now I'm on the last one. The color is orange in color, slightly lighter than an orange peel and a slim amount of head. Smell and taste are sweet almost sugary, with a faint and i mean faint taste of butterscotch, and the mouth feel is creamy, which i think is the only true thing the this delicious craft malt liquor has with its mass produced 40oz brethren.

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

I had to try something special for my 500th beer review! I had this at a cool little bar called The Grape Escape in downtown Galena Illinois. Every time that we go stay at the cabin we always hang out at the Grape Escape....it's mainly a wine bar, but the atmosphere is great and they have some really nice brews.

A - Cloudy orange with a two finger head that leaves lots of crusty lace on the glass. The head shows some pretty decent retention, and looks nice and thick.

S - Honey from the bear-shaped squeeze bottle, Malt-O-Meal, oatmeal, Honeycomb cereal, pancakes, and booze. This is a very sweet and heady aroma that reminds me of a lot of breakfast items.

T - Rich honey and heather. Molasses, dusty yeast, big time alcohol, dry hay-barn hop flavors. Tastes much like a BSPA, and that's probably what I would have called this is a blind taste test. Heady and flavorful. Nice! Tastes nothing like a malt liquor thank God!

M - Astringent, boozy, full bodied, and very rich. It's really sweet, but tight alcohol dryness keeps it very put together. Never cloying or overly heavy at all! This feels like a malt liquor, but much more well built.

D - Kick ass! I could drink two or three, but I'd be on the floor. This brew did me in for the night and I switched to coffee for the next hour before driving home. Watch out for this one....it'll bite you in the ass!

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Duvel chalice. Surprisingly active carbonation rises to form a retentive 1/2" head. The beer is a nice and full golden color. The first smell yields a husky and fruity aroma. There is a definite pilsner sort of fruityness to this. Taste is similar to the smell. As soon as it hits your tongue there is a burst of citrus. It uses the hops to open up into a slightly drier and grainy flavor. Residual sweetness stays around throughout the entire drink balanced pretty well with the bittering hops. It has a really creamy mouthfeel as well. This beer is top notch for a malt liquor. On sale for $3.53 for a 22, I might just have to go pick up some more.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

Pours a light amber with a soft, frothy white head.

Sweet grainy wort smells dominate the nose.

Fairly sweet up front, mellow into slight hop bitterness, leaving a slightly resinous aftertaste.

Medium bodied and seemingly a bit underattenuated, but other than that, this is a fun, easy drinking, yet still flavorful offering from Rogue. John- keep doin' what you do, despite any BA naysayers.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

22 oz bomber into short stemmed tulip.

A: a hazy golden yellow. bubbly head white head with decent retention and lacing.

S: the aroma starts with a slightly acidic twang. complexity with the malts is rather inviting. besides the grain, there is a dynamic between the hops and czech pils yeast that is also delightful.

T: the flavor is bright and a little fruity. a significant hop presence. tons of sweetness. sugary sweetness. the finish has a distinctive linger of corn, but not in a bad way. very nice.

M: carbonation is light and fizzy. medium/full bodied. not your typical malt liquor, but still tasty.

D: pretty tasty brew from Rogue. interesting take on a "malt liquor", and i use quotations simply because of the amount of flavor present here which is not usually the case with american malt liquors. an easy drinking, tasty brew at a very reasonable price. dont know where all the negative reviews are coming from for this beer, but this is a win in my book.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

A - This beer pours a nice slightly hazy gold color. It has a nice 1.5-finger pure white head. The head has decent retention, and leaves just a few specs of lacing behind. There are also a lot of small carbonation bubbles visible.

S - It smells of sweet malt and corn flakes? There is a bit of booziness here, and a bit of some fruitiness.

T - The taste sort of follows the nose, but there is more of a hop presence. It tastes mostly of sweet malts, and theres a bit of an alcohol presence. There is something else here as well, that tastes a bit spicy. I can't quite figure out what it is though. The finish is clean and a touch boozy.

M - It has a medium body and medium carbonation. It is a bit sticky, and goes down quite easy. This is a good mouthfeel for the style, definitely better than other malt liquors I've had. There is a very slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

D - Great drinkability here. I really didn't expect much out of this beer, but it totally surprised me. It's not just great for a malt liquor, but it is a great beer in general. I really like the taste of this. I will definitely pick this up again in the future. I could see this being a good transition beer for converting people into craft beer. Plus, it really shows that not all malt liquors have to be garbage.

4.33/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Malt liquor HUH?! From Rogue?!! Why not! Let's see what sort of uh.. fancy glass I can throw this in, sure a simple nonic pint will do.

A real nice body color that seems to be a faint orange with yellow hues, some large cola bubbles also. Very cloudy appearance. Head barely manages to produce a finger of off white foam, very soapy and large. Clumpy yeast at the bottom, frozen beer almost suspended in appearance, also flakes which don't exactly look appetizing.

This nose is real surprising. Fruity lemon and apple, with some nice grain dry malt behind it. No giant rush of heat expected either. For just malt liquor this is quite a surprise.

Taste brings more of that fruit character. Some rolling lemon but mostly apple on the tongue, mixes with a real nice malt character. Crisp and effervescent but also real strong and chewy grain feeling, with some nice apple flesh and bite. A real nice mix of carbonation in the mid palate too. No sense of boozyness either.

Overall this is shockingly good.

4.63/5  rDev +37.8%

Bought at Nikki's Liquors in PVD. Found out last week that the best liquor store in the area is 2 miles from work. I can go on my lunch break!! Also note.. I've tried damn near any malt liquor out there, reviews coming soon. This is one style of beer that I have a LOT of experience with. Ah, college. Good times, good times.

A- Moderately deep orange, a lot more color than expected. I consider myself a 40oz malt liquor expert, and this one looks awesome for the style.

S- Corn and malt sweetness. No alcohol detected. Very classic malt liquor smell.... although I can't recall a 40 that ever smelled as good as this. Kind of reminds me of cornbread.

T- Unreal. Good, strong malt mouthfeel with enough hops for a great crispness. Sweet and full-bodied. A tasty malt liquor... that is actually meant to be enjoyed and not pounded. Wow... I'm amazed at the quality considering the style. Spot-on.

M- Classic, refined. This is what you want 40s to taste like. Enough flavor, crispness, and body to keep you happy.

D- Through the roof. In college I downed 2 40s with ease. One bomber is all I have, but believe me when I say I'd drink another couple in a heartbeat.

This style is dear to me, and unfortunately I have a lot of experience with malt liquor. This is the best of the style I've ever found.... Thanks, Rogue! Put this into some 40ozers!!!

Also note, this high score is within the style and not reflected upon my overall high-scores. For the style, this beer earns its score with ease.

4.65/5  rDev +38.4%

Deep golden color with little head and no lacing; best malt liquor I have ever seen.

Same with the smell. Big sweet and roasty aroma with a bit of alcohol; this is the best I've ever smelled by miles in this style.

Very sweet which covers up a big alcohol bite; bitter hops come through but don't overpower; once again, far and away the best.

Mouthfeel suffers a lot. It's way under carbonated for the style and as a stand alone beer, not carbonated enough to carry the sweetness. Amp up the bubbles and it would be perfect.

Perfect malt liquor except for the carbonation; best I've ever had for sure.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales