Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

Added by aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 335
2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

I had to pick this one up when I saw it. As the father of two kids, how could I pass it up? I fully expect this beer to be gross, but at least I can keep the bottle.

I drank it straight out of the bottle in honor of the Malt Liquor style so I have to say the appearance is excellent because I love the bottle and the little story on the back.

The smell and taste can be wrapped into one section. It basically reminds me of putting bread in a blender with some water and blending it up (will it blend?). That is not to say it is terribly bad. Having cut my teeth on Steel Reserve and similar brews as a kid, I was afraid this beer would take me back to that awful place. Not so. The malts hit hard and the corn listed on the ingredients is nowhere to be found on my palate.

Mouthfeel is a but too rich and syrupy to handle. You probably won't find anyone drinking more than one of these. The alcohol content is unknown, but it feels pretty strong after downing about half of it.

To summarize, I expected much worse and ended up finishing the whole 22oz bottle with a smile on my face. I can't say I could do that with most malt liquors.

1.68/5  rDev -50%

I don't have any idea how this beer received a B-. It was indistinguishable from what I remember any other malt liquor beer ever tasted like.

I think there were some sympathy ratings here. Rouge should discontinue this as it is the black sheep of their family of beers.

For a malt liquor you really are not going to get anything better taste wise from one. Even though i paid 4 bucks for a 22 oz, I felt like i was totally satisfied being that i have had my fair share of malt liquors. It has that classic golden malt liquor color, not any different from Kobra or Colt. This is a very smooth ride just like most rogue brews, but not much going on in this one other than malts. All I really have to say is for the price its worth the try at least. I would rather have their other brews but not a disappointment in the least bit. I just kind of picked it up for a nostalgic kind of thing. Most people would be satisfied i think.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Presentation: 22oz Bottle, distinctively Rougue.

Appearance: Pours a dark yellow, small white head that quickly fades leaving little to no trace.

Smell: Malty corn, not a whole lot going on here.

Taste: Nicely carbonated mouthfeel. Slightly sweet, corn-y and alcoholic in taste. Decent malt backbone, even some hop character present, but it is hard to get past the taste of the stale corn.

Overall: To me this tastes like most other malt liquors(I thinking a slightly hoppy OE here) that cost half as much for twice as much. I had this in a tasting with DFH Liquor De Malt and that blew this away.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

I've searched far and wide for this, but I only found a few in 4 months of searching and now I'm on the last one. The color is orange in color, slightly lighter than an orange peel and a slim amount of head. Smell and taste are sweet almost sugary, with a faint and i mean faint taste of butterscotch, and the mouth feel is creamy, which i think is the only true thing the this delicious craft malt liquor has with its mass produced 40oz brethren.

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

Bought this one in a 22 oz. bomber. Kind of disappointed, if I'm going to drink some malt liquour I'd like to have it from the old 4-0. Nonetheless, I cracked this open with childlike anticipation, a new beer from Rogue! Imagine my surprise when I poured this straw yellow concoction into my pilsner glass. It looked like I had just sullied my glassware with Olde English (a good brew at the right time). It smelled as if I had just poured the farm into my glass, corn and alcohol scent creeped into the air, as if I had just distilled some bathtub moonshine in between feeding the livestock. However, one should never underestimate Rogue, one sip of this crazy beast and I knew for certain, this is the finest malt liquor I've ever consumed. The only problem, that's a little bit like being the prettyest girl at an ugly contest. This beer is drinkable, and the mouthfeel is a viscous smooth texture like Billy Dee Williams voice. Here's my only qualm, why should I pay 4.99 for 22 oz. of Rogue malt liquor, when I can pay 1.99 for 40 oz. of just anybody else's? And maybe more importantly, should I really be drinking beer just to get drunk? In the end, Rogue Beer's idea is hilarious, and their heart is in the right place, I just don't think it's fair to give them a complete pass on this one.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this on sale for 1.99 at Kenny Road Market in Columbus.
Seems like the right drink for hard times.

Served in a plain, clean water glass at 47 degrees F.

Appearance: it's the color of honey. Almost no head retention. It's not particularly fizzy. Real minor lacing.

Smell: there's something familiar about this smell. It reminds me of the smell of Macallan Scotch whisky with a hint of radiator coolant. The malt kind of hides the corn, so it's not that corn city-watery-chlorine Anheiser Busch smell.

Taste: wow, this stuff tastes sweet. To me, it seems just as sweet as Coca-Cola. Zero bitterness as far as I could detect. What a strange thing to drink. A little roasty-toasty thing going on toward the end. A faint little medicinal aftertaste. To me, almost zero hops in the taste.

Mouthfeel: it's a little syrupy.

I'm not certain what the ABV is on this one. The web's contradicting itself... Depending on who you talk to, it's either 5.3%, 6.9%, 7.2%, or 8.5%. Judging by the buzz-factor, I don't think it's 5.3%.

The bottle says it's 17 degrees plato. If 1 degree plato is 1% sugar in the wort, that says this has around 17% sugar in the wort. I guess that explains the sweetness if any of that remains unfermented.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Really enjoyed this. It was a surprise. This poured with a thick head into my standard pint glass. It is definitely malt liquor, but I would hesitate to call it that. It was remiscent of Don de Dieu from Unibroue to me for some reason.

Great beer for an evening watching movies and hanging out.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a pint glass, served around 45 degrees

A: light golden brown, minimal head retention and no lacing to speak of

S: light aroma of malt and corn, no other notes to speak of

T: Sweet and malty with no noticeable hop presence

M: Lightly carbonated and smooth, as is characteristic of the style

D: Goes down easy, nothing spectacular jumps out at you, just a nice smooth beer. I have to admit, beer snob that I usually am, I have a soft spot for cheap malt liquors, and this tastes like everything I like about Mickey's with the quality improved to the point that it warrants the Rogue name. I expected a Rogue-quality malt liquor, and I got a Rogue-quality malt liquor

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales