Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

Added by aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

3.59/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass. Rich gold color, with almost no head, and only a few carbonated bubbles. Faint scents of some green apples and grapes. Sweet malty and hop like flavor you would expect from a malt liquor. Some minor notes of hay or freshly cut grass. No real spices to speak of. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth. This is overall very drinkable. I don't want to slam the brew but in a taste test I don't think I could taste the difference between it and Ol E 800. I am somewhat disappointed.

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

1 pt 6fl oz amber bottle.

A: A straw color, very solid with some white bubbles on it that disappear almost instant,very nice

S: Some sweets and grains.

T: Honey is very present in there,,some carbonation also,maltiness and sweetness also.

M&D: Easy to drink,nice in the mouth better than the average malt-liquour

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

22 oz bomber poured into Imperial pint glass

A - Pours a straw golden color with about 3/4 inch white head. Head fades quickly, while lacing is moderate when tipped.

S - Strong grainy malt with a bit if acidity and a good corn scent (perhaps the added "flaked corn" is the cause here?). Just a touch of noble-es ue hop scent. Pleasant without being complex and certainly without any preservative additives.

T - Intense malty grains with corn flavor. Little hops evident except for aftertaste is is ever so slightly bitter. Not much more to say.

M - Moderately low carbonation with a smooth and medium body. Finish is slightly drying and bit sticky.
D - Well, its a malt liquor, but what more could you ask for out of this category? Easy drinking and never cloying. Worth a try to see what an accomplished brewery can do with a lackluster style.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bomber into my Otter Creek nonic. Split with fellow BAs infi, NYManc and johnjae.

Pours a hazy dark apricot hue with a whitish half-inch frothy head that recedes quickly, leaving some small amounts of sticky, stringy lacing. There's a bunch of weird little particles suspended in the liquid, not sure what they are. Corn dominates the nose along with some yeast and plenty of graininess. Quite sweet smelling.

Taste is very slightly hoppy to start, but that quickly gives way to the corny sweetness and malty grains. The malts ride with you until the end, where a subtle but definite alcohol presence makes itself known. Aftertaste has lingering notes of corn and some bready sweetness. Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth with a good amount of carbonation that makes for easy drinking. The finish is dry, but not as much as I was expecting.

Really easy to drink, as is typical of the style. I could easily imagine downing a forty of this. It tastes much better than its counterparts brewed by the macro companies, but at a hefty price point, I think I might be better off with some Olde English 800 if I want to get buzzed quick. All in all, a solid if unspectacular beer.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

1.14/5  rDev -66.1%

Truly horrendous, probably the worst I've ever had from Rogue. I have to imagine this is something that they do only because they can get away with it, due to making so much other fantastic beer. They should have sold this one only in the Rogue Public Houses for fun, or as the gimmick it is in bombers for $1 apiece, but it's an embarrassment at $4. Disgusting.

Visual: urine yellow, with little head and no lacing.

Aroma: corn nastiness, cooked vegetables, and little else.

Taste: more cooked vegetables, thin, acrid, and acidic. Disgusting.

Mouth: thin, moderately highly carbonated.

Seriously: this stuff is repulsive, and I'm pissed off that we paid $4 for it. We drainpoured about 75% of the bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

2.05/5  rDev -39%

This was purchased more for the novelty than anything else. I wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got. The beer poured a light gold color with almost no head and very little carbonation. Aroma was similar to most macros, some light malt smell with a good bit of corn/vegetable mixed in. Taste was very light as well with the typical corn adjunct flavor, some malt and a barely perceptable hop taste. Mouthfeel was very light and thin. This beer had very little flavor and was quite watery and spritzy tasting to me. This is not worth the 4.79 I paid. Oh well, maybe Liquor De Malt will be a better experience.

3.11/5  rDev -7.4%

Light golden color, with yellow hues in the thinner part of the glass. Pours with a fair amount of white head composed of bubbles of many sizes, though none are particularly large. Not very retention, no cap, and hardly any ring.

Aroma of [American] malt liquor. Tangy, grainy malt. I do detect some corn in the background, I think, but to my nose the corn quality is overstated by many other reviewers. The tang evidences a bit of a metallic quality. A very slight ethanol note.

Sweet taste, offset by just enough hops to keep the malt from being overwhelming, and a small but noticeable alcohol taste. Better than most malt liquors, but altogether its still not the most pleasant tasting brew. The 3.5 is by style, not my overall impression. Grainy but sweet bread taste to finish.

Alcohol presence lends some crispness to the feel, but the light carbonation becomes very creamy. The grain, slight alcohol tinge, and creamy feel just quite jibe to my mind.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

1 Pint 6 Oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy golden yellow with a thin white head.

S - Sweet and malty. Very faint.

T - Sweet wheat and malt flavors. Crisp and clean.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I feel like I should pour this into a 40 and drink it out of a brown paper bag. Really good though.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up this 22oz bottle at Albertsons to have after my steak and potatoes dinner. Pours into my mug a crystal clear golden color, creamy billowing off white head with heavy lacing. Smell is very fruity sweet, some green apple notes coming first to mind. Taste is very sweet, again with some apple sweet malt flavor, negligeable hop presence. Mouthfeel is very sticky, finish is moister than i was expecting. Not my favorite Rogue offering, but certainly enjoyable, and knocks the pants off any other mass market Malt Liquor. I'd love to see Rogue bottle this in the traditional 40oz bottle, just for grins =)

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%

Never a big malt liquor fan, but after seeing it in BA magazine I had to pick this up and try it. Color is a clear yellow-amber, with a thick white head. Malty aroma. Taste is very sweet, bready, malty flavor, not as harsh as the typical OE-type malt liquor I remember from my younger days. Nice attempt at a style that doesn't get much respect in the micro community; still not enough to convert me to the malt liquor side, but better than the typical bodega offerings.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Okay, this is the first malt liquor I've sampled, so it's not really fair for me to rate the various aspects of appearance, smell, taste, etc. However, I know that Rogue makes better-than-average beers (for the most part) so I'm trusting that their version may be superior to many of the macros. Here's my admittedly guarded review.

Tyler's Taproom in Durham always has Rogue's "John's Locker Stock" on tap. This is a rotating selection based on seasonal releases by the brewery. Dad's Little Helper has been on tap for some time; the bartender confided to me that they were having a hard time moving it. I decided to forego the free sample and have a pint in the spirit of adventure.

It was served in a Rogue pint glass. To be honest, the color was quite striking: it was a dark golden straw, completely transparent. And it looked thick, if you can imagine what that means. No substantial head formed, and no bubbles were present with two minutes of pouring. The aroma certainly betrays the heavy malts, with an almost sickening sweetness and just a bit of hops. I really had no idea what to expect from the flavor. It was mostly of corn and other grains, with some sweet malts and a slightly hoppy finish. Is this what other malt liquors are like? Hmm.

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

Aroma - Sweet malts with saaz hops and a watery pils aroma, which I guess is a mineral water like aroma. Also a slight corn note as well.

Appearance - Pale golden yellow without a ton of carbonation but a decent creamy head that doesn't dissipate too quickly.

Taste - Light but slightly harsh corn lager taste. Not sweet at all really. Neither great nor bad but does provide a decent balance of sweet and bitter which is not your usual malt liquor.

Notes - I picked this up at the local on sale for $1.99 which would easily make it my go to malt liquor if it was always that price. Probably the best malt liquor I've had.

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%

First beer of the week as I spend a few days with good friends...lets hope that's a good sign. ;)

Nice strong yellow colour,slight orangy tint. Thin white head.

Smell is srt of like a swet malt liquor with a hint of wet towel (or as a friend said, wet dog).

Flavour is better than expected- a little woody and slightly spicy, with a thick strong maltiness.

I'd like the hearty body on this one, were it not for the turbocharged carbonation.

Overall, nice and drinkable- but with some shortcomings. Good lawnmower beer.

Be well
-UF

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Bought this on a recommendation. Pours a clear light amber with practically no head. Not much to look at. Smell immediately informs that hops are not going to be a headliner at this party. Taste is all sweet malt and grain, becoming more cloying as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is fine, smooth, slick. Drinkability is fine also, esp at cooler temps. Alcohol is not readily appearant. Not a bad beer, but not one I'll be coming back to any time soon.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw color, with a half finger white head that disappears almost immediately.

S: Sweet malts, almost a caramel characteristic to it, with an ever so slight whiff of hops. Not a lot going on.

T: Grains, sweet malts and the caramel taste fully develops...again, nothing to speak of as far as complexity.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation, fairly smooth.

D: Goes down reasonably easy but not interesting enough to want much of.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Not a great pour on my part, but it looks like a yellow fizzy mess. As it dissipates, I must note the stickiness as the suds slither down the glass sides. The side residuals are by far the most impressive aspect of this brew's appearance. Without that, I might wonder why a Butt Light is in this type of glass.

Smells purty much like a malt liquor. I'm reminded of ashtrays and cigarette buttes lingering on the floor of a bar in the morning. It's really spot-on for a malt liquor. I'll take style in mind as I rate what is actually a not-so-fragrant smell as "good." This beer smells like a malt liquor.

It tastes better than your average malt liquor. Granted, I grew up on King Cobras and MD 20/20s, so it ain't saying a whole lot if it's better than those (I guess MD is actually some sorta wine). It's light, well-carbonated, and--believe it or not--refreshing. I'm impressed. I think it's easy to say: it's the best malt liquor I've ever had. I keep sipping it, wondering how best to describe it. Astonishingly, it's purty good. Nothing to write home about, but a malt liquor...? It's incredibly well-balanced, easy to drink, and pleasant on the palate.

Even with style in mind, there ain't a whole lot going on in the palate. I'm unsure how to rate that because that's probably the intention. Flavors certainly don't burst thru the beverage as it rests in my mouth, but the cig and ashtray associations disappear as I enjoy this malt liquor beverage. I honestly think I'd argue vehemently that this isn't a malt liquor had I not seen the label. I didn't think malt liquors were supposed to be pleasant.

Though it's nowhere near my favorite beer, it's a darn drinkable malt liquor! Not one I'd have in stock all the time, but this was a Fathers' Day present. As I read the back and recognize this concoction is indeed a genuine tribute to dads, I feel certain it's worthy of Fathers' Day tradition. Needless to say, I'm proud to be a father; I'm ashamed, however, that I kinda scoffed at this beer when it was presented as a gift. I feel again like I did when I voiced displeasure as a kid about getting a He-Man carrying case (who would bought an 8yr old a carrying case, though?)--I got a spankin' then, and probably deserved one when I initially reacted to this. Fortunately, I'm the dad now. By the power vested in me as such, I'll deem this a purty darned good beer!

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

-okay, looks reminiscent of a bud or coors. not much else to say

-got some nose to it. some apple indeed

-some apple, lager taste, good apple after taste

-carby, kinda mad feeling

-if you can not think about the price, or if nothing else think about how funny the fact is that rogue made a malt liquor...not too shabby for what it is

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first malt liquor. No, I've never tried OE or anything, even in my sillier days. I haven't had a chance to try Liquor de Malt so this will be my first from a craft company.

Went ahead and poured the whole bottle into my biggest glass at a cold temp. It's yellow-gold in color, with a few streams of very energetic bubbles and a fizzy, short-lasting head. It looks better than a lot of lagers that are trying hard.

The scent is distinctly lagerish, with a mild whiff of sweet corn thrown in to let you know that it's not just hops, malts, water and yeast. Nothing bad - like a macro lager, but with actual substance.

Now this is my first malt liquor, but there's definitely nothing foul going on here. It tastes like a full-bodied American lager - yes, a bit corny, but no overpowering alcohol or chemical tastes. Very refreshing at the end of the day, when I just want to flop down on my LoveSac and watch TV.

Mouthfeel is smooth; Despite the energetic carbonation visible in the glass, nothing can be felt until swallowing, whereupon it feels nice and creamy. Going a while between sips, there's a nice, lightly sticky aftertaste that forms and hangs around, enticing more sips.

This is a highly drinkable beer. I know Rogue knows how to make a good lager, as evidenced by their Uber Pils - one of my favorite pilseners from any brewery in any country - and this is a good spin on their talent. The name is amusing, too!

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Poured a bright sunset orange that has mild amber tinting. Head was minimal with fair retention. There was no lacing but this sat in the glass a crisply glowing liquid.

S: Not a whole lot in the nose. Hints of corn and grain cereal with a touch of honey.

T: Thin syrupy sweetness. No tastes of hops but plenty of caramel and candy malt flavors. Balances out nicely with some apple and pear roundness. Faint pinch of ginger spiciness towards the end.

M: Nice carbonation and a good heavy medium mouth feel

D: Actually for this style I found it to be very drinkable and very enjoyable. I like the idea of a craft malt liquor. I had no idea what to expect with this one but I was hoping for something more offensive and loaded with booze. This turned out to be quite the opposite which is a compliment to Rogue.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours out the grassy color you'd expect of a malt liqour. Almost no head. Amazingly aromatic. I smell the sweet/fruity hops sitting across the room, the second I open the bottle. It has a very bland taste. The hop smell comes out a little, but it's very watery. Thin mouthfeel. It's okay as far as malt liquors go, but really Rogue and other breweries should really stay away from this style instead of trying to dress it up.

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 22oz. bomber. Small blurb about dedicating this beer to dads. No stamp regarding bottle or lot.

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden straw color. Small white head forms with moderate-low retention. Small stream of bubbles from the glass is indicating a higher level of carbonation. Overall a very good looking beer. Although there is haze, it may be more of a sign of mishandling by the distributor and/or liquor store.

Aroma: Grassy noble hop aroma upfront with a load of malt sweetness. Very slight hint of dimethyl sulfide and an alcoholic fusels in the background, and getting a very occasional whiff of sulfur.

Taste: Corn sweetness with a light lingering hop bitterness in the finish and notes of alcohol fusels. Not much other flavor going on here.

Mouthfeel: The body is fuller than what I have expected.

Notes: Not a bad malt liquor. I think the hop aroma is a bit too strong and the body is too full for the style. Other than that, it is easily drinkable, but the sweetness of the malt and corn is just too strong for me to drink too much of it. Alcohol warmth is noticeable, but not hot or solventy.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales