Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Harrington & Klages.
Hops: Crystal.
Specialty: Flaked Corn.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

17º PLATO
77 AA
10º Lovibond

Added by aforbes10 on 05-12-2006

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 335
2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this up in Edmonton at the Sherbrooke Liquor Store, first time I'd seen it available locally.

I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but it really does pour out a dense, lustreless, and almost seedy looking flat apricot hue. Lazy carbonation, and a quick splash of head that fizzles out quickly. Still, true to style...

The aroma is cidery, sour grains and some sweetish corn. Not very enticing.

Well then, it's been a while since I've had a 40 dog of malt liquor, and if this is what a top microbrewey produces as their version of the style, then I know for sure that I haven't really been missing out. Still with the cidery, sour mash flavour motif, although a hint of buttery, bready malt far, far off in the background towards the finish. That lets me know that this was intentionally made to taste this way, as opposed to whatever the left over dregs from the main brewing vat end up tasting like regardless. The more I drink and the more it warms up, the more that backbone of real malt starts to appear, and even a little bit of hops. It tends to move farther away from a cidery nature, and more to one of a malt based beer, although the corn is still apparent in flavour and mouthfeel. It becomes somewhat drinkable.

The mouthfeel is still a few notches above the average macro, it seems watery at times, but has a fairly decent backbone to it. It may smell like it from time to time, but this isn't in the realm of swill, I'll give it that.

A curious interpretation of the style, points go to Rogue for flying lowbrow and attempting to produce a classy malt liquor. Still, for the price of it compared to what you get, I'd still buy a real 40 Dog of malt liquor for half the price, and if I'm at the point where I'm buying malt liquor, I'll be using it for the medicinal (aka "self-medicating") purposes that it was created for in the first place.

Single, bomber bottle just copped from Gary's in Madison for $4.49...
A hefty pour yielded a medium-to-dark golden hue with a modest head that quickly dissipated and deposited a thin film of lacing around the edge of the serving glass...
A majority of Rogue brews are top-notch, so I was pretty curious to sample their offbeat Malt Liquor...
Overall, not a bad depiction of a fairly mediocore and undesirable style...
Sweet, malty aroma with slight hints of honey and sugars...
Taste strongly complemented the smell, with an ultra-sweet, slightly cloying flavor that was all-in-all well balanced for a malt liquor...
Good mouthfeel with a decent level of drinkability... Curious to know what the ABV on this one is...
Worth a try...

3.26/5  rDev -3%

bottled, consumed on 11/14/07.

Pours clear light gold with active white bubbles. They form a one-finger head that rapidly dissipates. Grainy aroma with sugary, medicinal hints. Moderate corn flavor with subdued notes of lemongrass (from the hops?) goes down smooth with little bitterness. Quenching without astringency. VERY easy to drink.

YIKES!

2.62/5  rDev -22%

Bright, bold, yellow-orange body, crystal clear. Three inches of snow white foam on top, rapidly snap, crackle, and popping away.Soon the head is a sheer lace tablecloth. Certainly looks better than your typical malt liquor.

Very grassy aroma, bit of hay, and a "cheap beer aroma", which I'm going to guess is from the corn. Frankly, it smells like a beer you don't want to spill on the den carpet.

Taste starts with a medium sweetness, neither the depth of good caramel nor the sickening cloying of a pixie stick. Very low level hop wave blunts the sweetness but makes little impression on its own. Bit of alcohol bite in the finish/aftertaste.

OK light-medium mouthfeel. Seems to be flattening quickly though.

Drinkability hurt by the alcohol bite in the finish.

Now that I've tried a craft-brewed malt liquor, I will ask, "what's the point?" Isn't this a style that the craft beer revolution is fighting? Does it taste better than Colt 45 ? I don't know, I haven't had a cheap malt liquor (that was one phase of beer evolution I missed). I do know that a sixer of Stroh's might be a better use of the cost of this bomber. It's not awful, but I see no reason to recommend it either.

3.73/5  rDev +11%

Served a crisp pale yellow with a decent head that slowly diminished. The aroma had a surprising amount of hops. The taste was mostly of a typical lager, but the hoppiness almost reminds me of a pilsner. The beer is light and somewhat refreshing. I can always rely on Rogue to provide an interesting brew, even if its nothing spectacular, and this one certainly holds to that.

3.49/5  rDev +3.9%

I had fairly high hopes for this, as I love maibocks and actually like some malt liquors, the cheaper, adjuncty non-hoppy sibling. However, this simply did not deliver on the promise of providing a full-bodied malt liquor character that I wanted and the claim that the corn character is highlighted simply is hollow to me, as I could barely detect it.

That said, this is still a pretty good beer, if rather bland and uninteresting.

Dark gold, it has a small white head soon shrinking to foamy ring.

Aroma is strong grain, apple, light raisiny syrup, hint of grass, definitely like a really malty, meaty malt liquor.

Tate is up front creamy grain with hints of corn that steadily fade, very noticeable raisiny alcohol with light syrupy grain aftertaste with hints of musty raisiny wine. It's lightly on the sweet side with no real bitterness, but remains a bit bland and with a syrupy alcoholic character more than anything. SLightly oily feel and body.

3.32/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz. bomber that I'm already worried I paid too much for at $7.

Served cool into a pint glass, Dad's Little Helper is a pale straw yellow color with good clarity and thin white head.

Aroma is mildly spicy but mostly just pale cereal grains and alcohol.

Flavor is much the same. It's similar to the strong Euro pale lagers I had but a little more crisp and not as hot. Corny and sweet, spicy and not too hoppy.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, smooth, almost buttery, with a noticible grain alcohol heat.

Overall it was over priced and not that good. However, it was probably the best malt liquor money could buy me that day.

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%

High levels of carbonation bubbles that stick to the edges of this straw orange colored body. Hosts a quick fading off white head. Slightly sweet nose with a odd mineral stink to it, and hint of malt. Syrupy sweet maltiness enters the mouth silky smooth. The taste is surprisingly honey sweet and mellow with only a hint of that old 40oz. in the cooler. Alchol is tangy on the finish but very well hidden throughout. Mouthfeel is nice and stays along the line of syrupy. Refreshing, would make a great BBQ beer.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Hazy lighter golden, head is about two inches of white initially, but it fades fast.

Aroma is sweet malt, a touch of grain husk or cereal. The aroma is clean, a tiny bit of fusel alcohol and a background of hops.

Light syrupy sweet malt upfront that fades into bitter grassy hops that are a touch floral toward the back end. Finish is reasonably clean and earthy.

The malt is so prevalent in this beer that the hops can only play support, while the adjunct/light grain content of the malt makes the flavor a little less than desirable at times. As usual with a malt liquor, it is best to drink ice cold.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a nice dark yellow color with great initial head, a fair amount of carbonation, and just a bit of quickly-desolving lacing. Nice scent, very sweet and malty, if a little weak. Great taste for the style, very smooth and great malt flavors, without being too overbalanced. It goes down pretty nice, not the best Rogue beer, but probably one of the best malt liquor beers I've ever had (which fortunately is few).

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Very malt liquory, dark gold, lots of carbonation beneath a small white head.

Smell: Light corn and grain, not much, but not terrible.

Taste: I could guess that this is about as good as a malt liquor can get. Still corny and alcoholic, but does have an actual hop presence, and a better finish than most Malt. Not bad.

Drinkability: Probably the best a malt liquor can be, doesn't go overboard with corniness and alcohol, and is alright to drink. Interesting.

3.29/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- a dark yellow, almost orange with a very puffy 2 finger white head...head fades real quickly, no lacing. Meh...more character than usual for a malt liquor

S- that buttery, corny aroma you get from the style...not getting any hops at all. Yuck

T- its actually got a nice sweetness to it...the corniness is there too, but I'm actually enjoying it. Not like any other malt liquor I've had...it's got character to it!

M- shockingly, its not paper thin...some slight body to it. Not much, but there's something there. not bad

D- I'm enjoying this. Its not a hop bomb, its not overly malty, its not roasty...but man, its really easy drinking. A good choice if you just want to drink and don't an "experience"

3.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter glass. Shows a deep golden with a bit of haze and a rather sticky head. Decent lacing follows.

Nose is rather endearing and slightly PBResque in nature, with corn bread, an apparent hint of wheat, a bulk of pale grain and yet has an almost Belgian Saison quality to it, and with a touch of lemony hops to convince.

Flavor is a bit muted though grainy and slightly sweet in nature with some pils attributes. An interesting beer, rich and almost buttery on the tongue, with some noble hops plying their trade. Still, a bit too sweet overall. Offers a bready texture rather atypical for the style, but then to call this a Malt Liquor seems a bit of a stretch anyway.

Overall an interesting experience yet not one I plan to experience again. The price point is ballistic, thus game over.

Thins with warming and quite ale-like overall in body an feel. In the end a bit sweet and listless. I'd prefer and Olde English must I say.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured a orange/yellow color with just a touch of haze and almost no head.

The smell is light and sweet with a touch of corn.

The flavor is sweet and mild with a bit of a metallic tinny finish.

The mouthfeel is light with a bit of a dry finish.

Drinkablility is ok, the sweetness starts to get to be too much by the end of the bomber. Fine at first, but after 22ounces it wears out its welcome, and becomes more and more boring and one dimensional. Still at least it lacks the offensiveness of most Malt Liquors.

3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Summits, Snellville, GA. Had to psych myself up prior to ordering this one. The bartender looked hesitant - "Are you sure? Do you want me to pour you a sample first?" I declined, telling him I preferred to dive in headfirst. He brought it in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A pale, clear yellow-bodied beer with a fast-fading, snow-white head that leaves a sheen of lace on top. What carbonation there rises quickly through the thin-looking liquid. Occasional island-like blots of lacing, but not too much of note on that front.

Aroma: Oh! Oh god! It's very chemically - acetone, or vinegar, perhaps. Vegetal notes, steamed corn, maybe. This was easily the worst part of this beer.

Taste: Ok, that's a little more like it. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The beer itself is sweet, simply sweet, with very little else going on save an almost green apple-like note in places, perhaps a few other stray fruity esters. Slightly hoppy, but largely nondescript. Whew.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, fluffy, and even, but incredibly thin ... and maybe that's a good thing.

Drinkability: It may be all expectations, but save the nose, this wasn't nearly as bad or offensive as I thought it would be. Don't get it me wrong - it wasn't good. But it definitely wasn't bad. The abv% ... well, now that I think about it, I don't know what the abv% was, but I couldn't really taste it. I commend Rogue for taking on this style, and thank them for giving me a palatable example with which to knock it off my "to do" list.

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

Bomber picked up for 5 skippers. Poured into a tulip it takes some effort to get a result. Bright copper body like a brand new penny.

Well it really is similar to a garden variety malt liquor. I'm not talking Bull Ice or the real tough to swallow malt liquor. This is easily consumed and has a bit of spice at the end to keep it somewhat balanced. This lays heavily on the toasted malt and sweet malt side of the house.

Notes: Hmmmm under the price per value this one falls short. Its a decent brew but not one I'll seek out anytime soon.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

I was excited to finally try this one, as I have tried plenty of other malt liquors, mostly pretty nasty. This one was kind of a let down. I guess I had high hopes for it, being that it's from Rogue, which is pretty dependable on their brews. I MAY put it in my top 5, but then again, that's not really saying much for this style. To me, it tasted more like a buttery strong ale, than a malt liquor. It was a little too sweet for my likings as well. I guess the good thing about it, is that it hid the "higher" alcohol content, which is something hard to do with this style. I give 'em props for at least doing something fun like this though.

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

Ok, I've never really been a malt liquor guy.. I never have. But maybe once a year I'll maybe pick up one of these. It's fascinating to see a craft brewery's take on this style. Pours a light crisp yellow, nice fluffy white head and sticky lacing. Nothing really going on the smell department, there's a breadiness, grain, malts, nothing out of the ordinary. Although I'm not too impressed w/ the taste, it is what it is, malt liquor.. bonus points for using better ingredients than usually found in the style. Mouthfeel is what is to be expected, well carbonated, smooth. A bomber of this is enough, and won't give you a headache ;)

Not bad, if you're into the style, by all means. Even if you're not, it's still worth the try.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Picked up this bomber awhile back and ended up drinking it with my dad yesterday! Into my glass a golden yellow pour with a thin light bubbly head and fast moving bubbles. Head falls quickly on this one. Light grain and cooked corn aroma. Slightly fruity with a light spiciness, green apple comes to mind for me a bit. Alcohol becomes apparent in the nose as well. Interesting, yet not really inspiring.

First sip brings a grainy maltiness with some light cooked corn highlights. Mellow fruitiness on the way down with a nice spicy, herbal hoppiness in the finish. A bit of alcohol peeks through as well. Not too sweet and not too bitter with a crisp, clean flavor.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a somewhat punchy carbonation. Goes down smooth. A pretty tasty malt liquor that's way ahead of the 40's I used to throw back in college. Still, it's more of a buy it once to try it kinda beer for me, as opposed to something I'd seek out on any regular basis.

2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Reviewed from detailed notes. Pours a half finger off-white head over a light straw colored liquid. A bit of green anti-freeze glow when held to light. Smells of corn, alcohol, and canteloupe.

Taste mild. Mild alcohol sting. Sweet with a phenolic edge. Dry straw finish. Drying in the back of the throat, with med-light mouthfeel. I still haven't met a malt liquor I like.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Crystal clear straw color with a thin white head that quicly settles to a thin cap.

Very little aroma except for some sweet candy like aromas, mostly from the alcohol.

Lots of corn detected in the flavor, providing a sharp and sweet flavor. The alcohol is somewhat perceived. Light bodied with good carbonation.

It's hard to give this one a great score, even though it's probably exactly what the brewer intended, and exactly what the style calls for. It's not the most enjoyable beer, but it does what it should. I wouldn't try this beer with the expectation to be blown away, but like me, to try something that isn't intended to be the next greatest item in the beer section. Recommended for the adventurous.

2.92/5  rDev -13.1%

pours out of the 22 oz. bomber a dirty/darkish gold colour...thin fizzy head which dies down quickly leaving sparse to nonexistent lace. flowery sweet aroma of adjunct. the taste is a big sweet mass of malt and corn, a bit fusel and very sweet. a bit of hopping finds its way through in the end, a bit out of place in a malt liquor but pleasantly welcome. otherwise there really is nothing outstanding in the flavour profile to make this one memorable. the body is average for the style...and the mouthfeel is quite slick, oily and even cloying at times. drinkability is ok. one bomber is enough for me. glad they didn't make this a 40.

overall, not really recommended and definitely not worth the price of admission. worth trying to compare to other high gravity concoctions, but certainly forgettable.

Review adapted from notes taken 4/3/11

Appearance: Golden orange, pours a bit cloudy with a thin head, some lacing

Smell: Sweet malts and corn, a lot of cereal - lacks the fusel alcohol stink that most malt liquors emit, which is a nice surprise - ultimately, boring but not bad

Taste: Surprisingly good - lots of corn, but also lots of sweet caramel and pale malts - kind of grainy - kind of spicy, which is a nice surprise - kind of tastes like a sweet bread with corn

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth - could be a bit more crisp

Overall: Easily the best malt liquor I've ever had

All of the easily unlikable things about malt liquor - the nasty sweetness, the overall feeling of grossness - are absent from this beer. According to my notes, "doesn't have that solvent alcohol butthole flavor." I guess that sums it up. I wish more breweries did this.

Dad's Little Helper pours a very light copper color with a thin white head. A little bit of corn in the aroma, but certainly not a typical nasty malt liquor smell. The taste is definitely to style. This tastes like a malt liquor, corn predominates. But some hops are noticeable in the finish, much more so than a typical malt liquor. I give it nine out of ten swills. Worth a try if only for the novelty factor.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $4.99. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear fizzy golden yellow coloration. The head was thin and off white. The head had little staying power. No lacing to speak of on the glass.

Smell: The beer smells of malty corn bread. The alcohol and the yeast produce a bit of spicyness. The hops may also add to spicyness; however, I dont think the hops are all that involved.

Taste: The beer continues to deliver the malted corn bread experience in the taste. The beer has a bit of spicyness at the end. I am not really clear if it is hops or yeast. The beer has no off flavors. This didnt get better warmer but didnt get gross.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer has a big old smooth malty mouthfeel. The beer has a big body. The beer is well carbonated and easy to drink. The beer was even ok as it warmed up. The novelty of upscale malt liquor is enough to purchase and try this once; however, I will not be purchasing this beer again.

Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor from Rogue Ales