Morimoto Black Obi Soba Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Black Ale

12 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich, C-15, C-60 and Carafa Special No. 2
Hops: Horizon, Sterling and Cascade. Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
36º Lovibond

Added by freed on 07-22-2004

1.98/5  rDev -45.9%

Poured into standard pint glass (all we had at the beach).

The smell was of malts and pepper?

This beer seemed to literally have no body to it. It was like watered down soda. The taste was not good at all. I think I had my hopes up since this was a Rogue product.

To be honest, I poured it out half-way through. Hopefully, we had an old bottle or something, because it was just not enjoyable.

2.47/5  rDev -32.5%

Blackish/reddish with red edges with a off white head that stuck around for a few.Mild lacing

Mild fruit(Sobi) and malt smell

Slightly roasted taste.Pac-man yeast is in there.Sweet taste dominates.I personally cant taste the hops

Mild carbonation,nothing really harsh.Not boozy at all

Very different for me to drink.But good,im glad i tried it.Good solid brew but from Rogue but not there best.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

2.71/5  rDev -26%

My first review in a very long time.

I've been aging several beers for the last 5 years or so. This one is part of that lot. I realize it isn't a high ABV selection, but I'm experimenting with everything.

Obviously this one is past it's prime. But it still resembles, very closely, the Black Obi Soba that I remember when it was brand new. Good pour, thin and opaque black. Weak nose, even in a snifter, tobacco, chocolate. Tastes toasted chocolate/coffee, raisins and alchohol in the finish. The time has taken the edge off the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is watery and weak.

Overall I think this beer was below average fresh, the age obviously doesn't help it, especially after this amount of time.

For what it's worth.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured in to Hop Cat tulip glass.

A - Light to medium orange/yellow colour with a half finger of bubbly white head that very quickly disappeared.

S - Bready malts, orange, some sweetness.

T - Bready malts are the dominant flavour with some good overall sweetness. Some light citrus notes are present as well in the background. A very slight bitterness is evident as well. This is a strange beer. Decent flavour for a light beer, but the sweetness became too much for me and I didn't finish the bottle. Not very well balanced at all.

M - Light to medium body with moderate carbonation.

O - Decent for 3.5% ABV but very plain.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Pours dark brown with a massive frothy head. The thickist lacing I've ever seen covers the glass.

S: Pale ale-like hop smell with some vegetal celeryish aromas.

T: Much like the smell, the taste is somewhat bitter, with some hop flavor and very strong flavors of carrots or celery. Too bad I'm not a fan of vegetables.

M: Surprisingly light in body live a clean, watery finsih.

D: This isn't a bad beer, but I'm not a big fan of the taste or mouthfeel. Others that have more of an appreciation for vegetables may enjoy this more.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It says fruit/vegetable beer, but I've never seen that type look like this. It looks like a porter or stout. It's extremely dark, almost black, with a thin white head that recedes relatively quickly leaving a creamy top.

Again, I'm not sure this is actually a fruit/vegetable beer. There's nothing resembling any fruit or veggie I know, though it's very malty and the nose fills with scents of caramel and toffee.

It's a strange taste, not something I'm familiar with. I can't even describe what it tastes like. The closest thing it watered down cola.

Has a loose, watery, creamy feel. It's medium-bodied. Has no sweet or even bitter feel, and no alcohol.

This tastes like no beer I've had, and if I was blindfolded, I'd be hardpressed to call it a beer. Doesn't really taste like me, provides no hint of alcohol. It's not bad, it's just not close to good. More or less a waste of $8.99.

2.89/5  rDev -21%

Appearance-Very dark. Just a hint of deep, dark blood red. Almost no head at all.

Aroma- Not overly complex. A nice,sweet maltiness. Very light hops. Fairly crisp and clean.

Taste- Hard to put a handle on it. Very little malty sweetness. Not dry either. Slightly bitter. Some coffee undertones. Not real impressive, but not bad either.

Mouthfeel- Not bad, not impressive. Decent carbonation level, but not so overpowering you lose the aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not a beer I plan on buying again, but I wouldn't tell anybody not to buy it either.

2.92/5  rDev -20.2%

Look: Brownish red color, massive head that will not go away with insane lacing

Smell:Roasted malt, nuts, buckwheat

Taste: Up Front: Buckwheat, coffee. Finish: Chocolate, slight metalic taste, then more chocolate

Mouthfeel: Light/Medium body, high carbonation

Drinkability: The sharp carbonation bite made this harder to drink than it could have been

Overall Impression: It was impossible to pour this beer without excessive foaming, and since the head retention excellent, that was an issue. The high carbonation killed this beer in mouthfeel and drinkability as well. That sucks, because it had a pretty interesting flavor. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%

This one is a very dark brown (not quite black) with a tall dark tan head. The head has decent retention, but provides very little lacing.
The aroma is sweet and slightly roasty.
The flavor is a bit watered down, but has a grainy and slightly roasted presence. There is also a slight hop presence, though this is definitely not a bitter beer.
Mouth feel is a bit watery.

This one is a bit of a letdown when you consider the brewery.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

Not the biggest fan of this one. I had this one right after the other Morimoto Ale and found this one to be a little awkward. The pour looked good, had a deep brown color similar to a black lager but with a super sized head on it that was tan in color. The lacing was pretty good too. The aromas were mixed on this it has grassy aromas and some herbal notes. The taste was a little strange. I'm can't really explain it. I just tasted gross to me. I was able to finish it but I won't being buying this again.

Bottle (courtesy of Okbeer): Poured a pitch-black ale with a medium head with average retention. Aroma of bitter hops with some strange spice that I don’t think I have encountered in beer before. Taste is a mix between the roasted malt, bitter hops and this strange spice. Body is too thin and carbonation is very low. This is not bad but nothing extraordinary either; I’d still go with the mocha porter any day thought.

Morimoto Black Obi Soba Ale from Rogue Ales