Morimoto Black Obi Soba Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Black Ale

12 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich, C-15, C-60 and Carafa Special No. 2
Hops: Horizon, Sterling and Cascade. Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
36º Lovibond

Added by freed on 07-22-2004

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%

I picked this up without knowing a single thing about it. I didn't even know it was made by Rogue -- I just figured it was a Japanese beer. But, hey: impulse buy.

I feel like I should have saved this for sharing. I say that only because I have no clue what it is, and I figure it might be challenging.

As soon as I open it, there is an explosion of foam, up to a point. It's not like a gusher, where it goes everywhere, but it went from normal-looking bottle to bottle-with-foam-jutting-out in an instant. But it just froze there. There is about an inch of foam extending straight up out of the neck of the bottle, and standing straight up like well-beaten egg whites. It doesn't even collapse.

I pour carefully into a glass, but end up with about 75% foam, and some dark beer at the bottom.

It smells good, clean and roasty. Taste is all of that. It's as foamy as any beer I have had. I have no idea what style this is. It's lighter than a stout, not hoppy enough to be a CDA...it's just tasty, and way lighter than it looks.

Pretty nice beer. I have been overlooking Rogue entirely too much.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Black. Tan head.
Smell: Roasted malt. Coffee.
Taste: About the same as the smell, plus nuttiness.
Mouthfeel: Watery like Guinness.

I really liked the smell. I couldn't stop sniffing it. To be honest, this tastes very much like Guinness without the hydrogen. It's a thirst quencher, with maybe a bit more to it. I liked it a lot. I would get it again if I got it for the same, overstocked price.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%