Kulture Clash

Rated:
Aug 03, 2020
Added:
Apr 07, 2018
A clash of beer and kombucha cultures create this unique sour ale.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 4 by Velivolus1 from Vermont

Aug 03, 2020
Reviewed by TheSixthRing from California

2.76/5  rDev -27.7%
From tasting notes 12/15/19

Appearance - Pours mostly clear and golden in color with a white, near finger width head. Fair retention before dissipating to a thin, broken layer of suds. Good lacing with webbing decorating a good portion of the glass.

Smell - Kombucha is prevalent. Herbal aroma with some tart, vinegary character.

Taste - Tart and somewhat vinegary with some leafy, herbal and tea-like flavors. Hints of grain. Kombucha flavors really linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light in body fair carbonation. Slick, easy drinker with a refreshing finish.

Overall - I'm not digging the flavor here. Aptly named, because the kombucha is certainly clashing with that blonde ale base. Just too much vinegar at work here.
Jan 22, 2020

Rated: 4.42 by markallmon from Tennessee

Jun 03, 2019
Reviewed by teromous from Virginia

4.64/5  rDev +21.5%
There does not seem to be a date on the bottle. the bottle I have is different from what is portrayed; a turquoise colored bottle with a sloth meditating like Buddha. The side says "ALC. 6.9% BY VOL.", "IBU 4", and "SRM 8."

Appearance: The beer is a light hazy gold with a short frothy white head. It has good head retention and lacing.

Aroma: The beer has a wonderful aroma of spearmint and honeydew melon. In the background there is a tart raspberry scent. The aroma is fantastic.

Taste: This wonderful creamy spearmint flavor comes through with a touch of raspberry and wheat. The finish has a bit of lime character to it. There is a bit of a sour note to the finish which is very appealing and gives it a bit of extra acidity.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a smooth texture with an expert balance of tartness and sweetness. There is a slickness to the beer that seems to expedite the delivery of flavors.

Overall: I know that this beer has been brewed in the past given the lime colored label on the website here. I would strongly recommend trying this if you are a fan of interesting tasting beers that are rewarding. I was very impressed by this beer and I am really glad I picked this one up. It does this wonderful dance between sweet and sour which makes this beer extremely memorable. The beer would be great for a special occasion at any time of the year. I would drink this again and I would highly recommend buying the current iteration of this beer. As is the case with all things wild, sometimes they work in your favor and sometimes against. This beer definitely works in the favor of the palate.
May 11, 2019
Reviewed by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
My thanks to Tommy Kijak for getting me the last bottle at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop (FGBS) as a part of the annual Secret Santa gift exchange!

From the Bottle: "Imperial Blonde Ale blended with Kombucha Tea"; "A Rogue collaboration brew with … Townshend's Brew Dr. Kombucha"; "Dedicated to the Mother Scoby"; "Kulture Clash is an explosive collusion with Brew Dr. Kombucha, a fearless fermenter and world-class Oregon brand. By combining the unique, tangy flavors of a custom-brewed kombucha with a Rogue imperial blonde ale specifically brewed to complement it, we've created a flavorful, invigorating balance of blonde and bold that both kombucha and beer drinkers will enjoy."; "No chemicals, preservatives or additives".

The first step was to Pop! off the oxygen fixing cap before I could begin my slow, gentle C-Line pour. I was mesmerized as it foamed up of its own accord to form two-plus fingers of dense, puffy, foamy, bone-white head with great retention, leaving loads of lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting yet another impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Mammon & Croesus, all clamoring for a taste. Nose was … odd. I could smell it coming out of the bottle, but it was not a sour funkiness. Instead, it had an earthy funkiness, like the time that we visited Kennett Square, PA, the Mushroom Capital of the World. THAT kind of funk. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was actually quite pleasant, kind of tart & lightly puckering, but with a lemony-minty quality. I was reminded of something, but I could not put my finger on it. Lemonheads? Imprecise. Lemon & eucalyptus? Is that why the sloth is prominent? Why not a koala? The flavors did not clash, though. This was really quite pleasant! I am not generally a fan of beers in & of this style, but this was very nice. It was dry and minty in a very cool way, laving me feeling like I had taken a deep breath in the middle of a pine forest with each sip. Refreshing? You betcha! I got it! Kinda like a minty Lime Life Saver! Not lemon, but lime! I ain't lime! Finish was tart & dry, but nowhere near puckering. This was a curious little treat. Perhaps not for everyone, but I liked it. YMMV.
Jan 21, 2019

Rated: 3.75 by NickThePyro from Washington

Sep 10, 2018
Reviewed by BrewMaven from New York

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%
Slightly hazy golden/orange with a thin short lived head. I'm getting a bit of orange in the smell...maybe some grapefruit too. Taste is dominated by bittersweet citrus and a hint of honey showing up mid palate and both stick around as the beer goes down. Nice bright, not too thin mouthfeel with a prickly carbonation. Very enjoyable on this oppressive summer day on Long Island.
Aug 28, 2018

Rated: 5 by mrkozak from Virginia

Jul 29, 2018
Reviewed by LifesAnesthesia from Virginia

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%
L - Hazy up top with a lot of clarity; orange/yellow/amber depending on the lighting and the hazy/clarity characteristics with a medium fizzy white head that dissipates quickly.
S - Sweetness dominates with notes of green tea, orange, malt, wheat, honey.
T - Blonde ale up front with kombucha behind - the tea dominates the palate though. Notes of sweet malt up front from the blonde ale followed by notes of green tea: earth, citrus, and honey. Overall, very sweet, but surprisingly good and refreshing.
F - Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Somewhat fizzy, but not over the top.
O - This one was really weird at first as I wasn't really knowing what to expect, never having had a tea beer or kombucha. At first I was really taken back by the sweetness of this brew, but after accepting the flavors of tea alongside beer, I really came to appreciate what Rogue was doing with this beer. It fits the bill: it's got the characters of a blonde ale mixed with a tea. Would I buy this one again? No, probably not, but would I try another tea beer, sure, and I have Rogue to thank for that.
Jul 07, 2018